Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson is going to go for 1500 yards and 16 TD’s this year and you bitches are crying about Randall Cobb potentially being brought in as the #4 wideout?

If Rodgers wants him, go get him.

He’s still perfectly functional in a limited role. Yeah, he doesn’t offer any longterm upside, but we’re pushing all of our chips to the center of the table over the next year or two anyway.

Making stupid football player moves to placate a one year or at most two year qb is flat out stupid.

We are now competing against ourselves for lazard, cobb as we did with rodgers.

The same guys we are going after to make rodgers happy were used as an excuse as to why GB sucked last year.

Shedding cheaper, better, younger players to make a prima donna QB happy is stupid business.

Guess what?  We still have Garret wilseon, sauce, Quinnen, Breece for more than one year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

ehhh no. He's not a bad signing, but this isn't true. He's not better than Davis, just injury prone and neither should be starting over E. Moore... he does bring RZ prowess however, and that's worth something. 

Moore is on the boarder of bust right now and he can't play outside. If he doesn't  show up next season with Rodgers, he will be gone. Lazzard is a legit receiver in this league. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We are now competing against ourselves for lazard, cobb as we did with rodgers

Complain about this after we see the contracts/trade comp.

For all we know the reason they took so long is we low balled them.

I know it's fun to attack, but let's see how it plays out before we do so.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Paradis said:

100%, good point 

Re Moore: wasn't the biggest fan during the draft as you know lol, but i've come to appreciate what he can do. We better not be shedding him for Cobb. That's trash. either him or mims gets a redo in this new offense.

Yeah there's a leak about Cleveland showing interest in Moore, but isn't it as likely that the roster swap is Cobb for Berrios than Cobb for Moore?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah there's a leak about Cleveland showing interest in Moore, but isn't it as likely that the roster swap is Cobb for Berrios than Cobb for Moore?

dunno. I know Lazard is a done deal, but i don't know who's on their way out. Corey Davis is a given. 

So assuming that, then at present--

• Wilson
  • Lazard
  • Moore
  • Mims
  • Fodder
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

dunno. I know Lazard is a done deal, but i don't know who's on their way out. Corey Davis is a given. 

• Wilson
  • Lazard
  • Moore
  • Mims
  • Fodder

Yeah I don't know either. Dumping Davis after missing all or most of so many games - including those games they fully or mostly deactivated Moore - was an easy call. I do like that they're finding a replacement first instead of being knee-jerk about it. 

In all honesty I don't know how I feel about Moore getting moved. I guess the best answer is I'm not in favor of it without knowing (a) if he's going to be a moody douche as soon as he sees the Jets adding any WR of substance; (b) what's being offered for Moore; and (c) the elephant in the room reason, who's the team's plan for replacing him.

I can overlook Moore being frustrated with his use last year. It's harder to overlook when he went public with it, during a rare Jets win streak. A new QB and new OC can clear a lot of bad blood, I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I don't know either. Dumping Davis after missing all or most of so many games - including those games they fully or mostly deactivated Moore - was an easy call. I do like that they're finding a replacement first instead of being knee-jerk about it. 

In all honesty I don't know how I feel about Moore getting moved. I guess the best answer is I'm not in favor of it without knowing (a) if he's going to be a moody douche as soon as he sees the Jets adding any WR of substance; (b) what's being offered for Moore; and (c) the elephant in the room reason, who's the team's plan for replacing him.

I can overlook Moore being frustrated with his use last year. It's harder to overlook when he went public with it, during a rare Jets win streak. A new QB and new OC can clear a lot of bad blood, I'm sure.

I think dumping Moore boils down to what is offered and their long term plans for him. My guess would be that with Wilson as the #1 and being controllable two years longer than Moore, there isn’t a plan to pay Moore after his rookie deal expires. Plus the off field last year I’m sure didn’t endear him to the staff.

There’s also a case to be made that his value only goes so high. I’d be kind of surprised if he fetched a first round pick as someone who needs to get paid even if he has a big year with a better QB. Let’s say the ceiling is a high second round pick.

So from there it kind of depends what a team like Cleveland is offering. If it’s pick 42? I’m probably inclined to take it and run. Seems good to have the asset and build the passing game with cheap veterans. His value is probably deflated but he’s also young enough and cheap for two years that maybe a team that’s desperate in a weak WR market bites. If it’s their third rounder in comp pick range, I’d pass. A second rounder in 2024 kind of splits the difference and I’d consider it.

Just now, derp said:

I think dumping Moore boils down to what is offered and their long term plans for him. My guess would be that with Wilson as the #1 and being controllable two years longer than Moore, there isn’t a plan to pay Moore after his rookie deal expires. Plus the off field last year I’m sure didn’t endear him to the staff.

There’s also a case to be made that his value only goes so high. I’d be kind of surprised if he fetched a first round pick as someone who needs to get paid even if he has a big year with a better QB. Let’s say the ceiling is a high second round pick.

So from there it kind of depends what a team like Cleveland is offering. If it’s pick 42? I’m probably inclined to take it and run. His value is probably deflated but he’s also young enough and cheap for two years that maybe a team that’s desperate in a weak WR market bites. If it’s their third rounder in comp pick range, I’d pass. A second rounder in 2024 kind of splits the difference and I’d consider it.

Could be, but that guess is (understandably) based upon his production with the '21-22 Jets.

The bigger takeaway, to me, is that this got leaked in the first place. Cleveland has no reason to leak it, so that leak would've more likely come from the Jets, who'd have far more motivation in wanting the league to know Moore is in play to get the best offer possible.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

yea i tacked on a late edit to my reply that included thoughts on Moore if you missed, just scroll up. 

My only concern with Lazard was $$, this is only real shot at decent contract he's likely to get in the NFL, so his agent will looking to maximize that opportunity. I don't love (at all) the notion of swapping Moore/Davis/Mims for some Lazard/Cobb/Vet combo... One signature vet, plus Wilson, Moore/Mims would have been fine. 

I'll have to go back and look. 

But yea I agree with keeping promising youth over just adding vets to make the situation more comfortable.  I do think mims stays and has a chance to show what he's got.  Moore would likely be involved in staying if it werent for his attitude towards Wilsons rise in the offense.  He rubbed a lot of people in the building the wrong way.  Not saying it was irreparable, but if theres someone thats going to be the odd man out in this situation, its probably him.  

I want Rodgers pretty desperately at this point.  Having zero other options has put us in that position.  I can buy in for Lazard.  I can even buy in on Cobb.  But now I'm seeing a laundry list of guys like Mercedes Lewis and OBJ and I'm thinking this is getting out of control.  I thought the goal was to bring in a great and pair him with a young talented team, not destroy the spirit of the young team you were brought in to help lead.  And this isn't tom Brady bringing in Gronk and company.  Those guys were established champions and brought the mindset and work ethic with them.  This group of Packers haven't won squat. If I'm Joe Douglas I'm either putting my foot down on some of these new requests or resigning rather than put my stamp on these moves.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Making stupid football player moves to placate a one year or at most two year qb is flat out stupid.

The same guys we are going after to make rodgers happy were used as an excuse as to why GB sucked last year.

Shedding cheaper, better, younger players to make a prima donna QB happy is stupid business.

Guess what?  We still have Garret wilseon, sauce, Quinnen, Breece for more than one year.

Who are we shedding again? Moore?  Mims?  Ruckert?  I've lost count.  The only one who should go is Davis, and I'm down replacing him with Lazard.  Prefer to keep Moore b/c I don't agree at all that he's a "near bust" as someone else said.  If Rodgers wants Lewis in the clubhouse or on the field to protect his aging butt, then fine.  But you just restructured Broadway Uzomah, Ruckert is an inexpensive rookie and not sure if he's a better blocker than conklin, who can't catch anything. SO I don't see how he fits.

And guess what else happens out of all of this?  The Jets by signing all of Green Bays throw aways to please Rodgers?  We add to their compensatory pick formula and we lower our compensatory pick formula.  Green Bay next year will be thanking us for taking guys they did not want and giving them an extra third round pick to boot.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And guess what else happens out of all of this?  The Jets by signing all of Green Bays throw aways to please Rodgers?  We add to their compensatory pick formula and we lower our compensatory pick formula.  Green Bay next year will be thanking us for taking guys they did not want and giving them an extra third round pick to boot.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Are you on drugs? All our FA that signed elsewhere would hardly even equate to a 7th round comp pick. Let’s focus on winning 1st, then we can start working the Comp Pick complexities.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your statement got me thinking Beer: could this be part of the plan in the trade?

Hear me out: us signing some of these guys appeases Rodgers AND it gets GB more picks (compensatory) next year without us having to surrender more picks in the trade. Kinda genius if you ask me. Granted, the only player of the ones mentioned I'd be interested in is Lazard (depending on the price).

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, derp said:

Totally agree with the last sentence in particular. Fill gaps with solid mid-market players, but the draft is where it’s at for playing acquisitions with.

To me the biggest flag for Douglas is that he had a rep for being an OL guy but almost all of his acquisitions have been expensive FA’s and high draft picks and it’s not like he has a tremendous hit rate. Part of that comes from the philosophy of building depth with cheap replacement level free agents instead of mid-late round picks who could develop into cheap starters. And he’s traded away a lot of the picks he could’ve used to acquire those developmental guys. Just doesn’t seem like sustainable practice there and it should be pretty simple to do well.

Here is the strange thing:  Douglas has spent a high-draft pick on Becton and got nothing.  He drafted a AVT and has got pretty good, but he missed most of a year to injury.  He drafted Clark and got an injury retirement.  He signed Tomlinson and sh*t the bed.  He signed McGovern and got decent.  He signed Brown and got pretty good for a 37 year old.   None of that is good.

BUT.....last year, the o-line was decimated.  Imagine where we would have finished without Nate Herbig, Cedric Ogbuehi, Laurent-Duvernay Tardiff, and Greg Senat.  Dudes signed off the street who played well, considering some of them were 4th-stringers.  ANY team gets down to 4th stringers, you shouldn't expect much.  Its almost like he can find talent in the back half, but can't find the talent with better draft capital and free agency.  Perhaps JD should stick to what he is good at:  He seems to find decent talent later on.  So, why not keep drafting guys later on, let them develop, and have a constant flow of later round guys in your system developing.  Hell, his developmental draft pick Max Mitchell played okay at times.  Not bad for a 4th round developmental pick thrown into the starting role game 2 of the season! 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm seeing reports he signed.  

4 years $44M.  Not confirmed just yet.

On par with the APY in the Jacobi Myers deal. Gives Rodgers a familiar target if/when he arrives.

Probably means that Davis is moved out to clear the cap space, which is essentially a wash 

Nice deal...especially if Rodgers finally agrees to the trade.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Your statement got me thinking Beer: could this be part of the plan in the trade?

Hear me out: us signing some of these guys appeases Rodgers AND it gets GB more picks (compensatory) next year without us having to surrender more picks in the trade. Kinda genius if you ask me. Granted, the only player of the ones mentioned I'd be interested in is Lazard (depending on the price).

It could be, we will only be able to say if it is a good thing or not when we see the totality of the deal.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, extmenace said:

Hmmm, more evidence we are getting Rodgers. I wonder if we’re trading Elijah moore? 

never felt so clueless about a situation in my life.

Moore belongs in the slot. Lazard is a big outside guy. I do agree though that it is becoming obvious more and more that AR has already told the Jets he's in.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I made a comment earlier, it's only going to get worse if he dictates the terms.

I personally don't like it.  Not that what I think even equates to a rain drop in the ocean.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

There are no real cap ramifications with Moore. I don’t expect him to be traded because he’s young, talented, cheap, and should be a lot happier with LaFluer and Zach having been replaced. 

Corey Davis has no guarantees left and could be cut with $0 cap implications. But if GB is interested in him, packaging him as part of the deal gives them the player under contract, rather than having to negotiate with him in whatever today’s market is. It’s a move that makes a lot of sense. I never expected Davis to be on the roster this year. 

I agree.  There is some exceleration to Moore's cap hit, but it wouldn't break us.

Personally, I would like him to stay and thrive with Rodgers.  Look, worst case scenario:  The kids attitude doesn't improve.  He becomes a bigger headache, especially when a new contract is needed.  With improved numbers, he would be more valuable an asset to move.  Then, you get a better asset back and rid yourself of the headache.  Win-win.  

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

• Wilson
  • Lazard
  • Moore
  • Mims
  • Fodder

G Wilson

Moore (slot)

Lazard - replace Davis in $ too

OBJ

Mims - same spot we just don't have to hear about Jeff Smith, finally. possible trade candidate

Cobb - Replace Berrios for small $

• Upvote 1