Perhaps This is the Reason Jets Are Letting Huff Walk?

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/01/10/ny-jets-jermaine-johnson-rank-2022-edge-draft-class/

Conclusion: 

Overall rankings

Averaging out the rankings among the class in the categories listed above yields the following results if including Johnson’s statistics from Week 4 on.

1. Johnson (20.7)
  2. Hutchinson (28.9)
  3. Karlaftis (30.4)
  4. Mafe (33.9)
  5. Walker (43.1)
  6. Thibodeaux (49.0).

While it may not be entirely fair to use an arbitrary threshold for Johnson and not the other players, Johnson’s ascension point was so clear and obvious that it’s worth discounting his first three games to get a true picture of his season. Perhaps I would find such a delineation for the other players, too, if I looked hard enough. Still, it is unlikely to be as stark and sustained until the end of the season.

Hutchinson is undoubtedly the best pure pass rusher in this class right now. However, of the players the Jets had the option to take, Johnson’s play from Weeks 4-18 makes him the best overall player. Joe Douglas can add another feather to his cap in the 2022 draft class that may save his Jets’ tenure from ignominy.

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

Why can’t we have al lot of nice players other teams seem to manage this. 

They have to fit in adams or Higgins and huff is not one of the known guys that you MUST lock down for big money.
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why can’t we have al lot of nice players other teams seem to manage this. 

Well, it’s because we have a lot of bad players with horrible contracts and still have glaring holes that need to be filled. It’s unfortunate but JD is an idiot. 

23 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

letting a very good 25 year old pass rusher walk for nothing sounds like something the Jets would do. 

I'm not sure that's accurate.  Isn't the scenario tha makes the most sense some sort of tag-and-trade where the Jets hold his rights and release him to another team willing to offer compensation while signing that player to a long term deal?

• Upvote 1

The Jets are going to let Huff walk because we have a 2 year window with a 40 year old QB and our OL is in disarray and we don’t have any offensive playmakers outside of Garrett and Breece.

This isn’t complicated

Douglas should just go ahead and sell his soul for a league-average OL and a Davante Adams/Brock Bowers combo this offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

The 10th highest paid pass rusher (Hendrickson) makes 21 million/yr.

Frankly, I’d rather buy a tackle with that money.

Huff leaving as a free agent gives us a compensatory pick. It might be as high as a 3.

Let him walk. Johnson, Macdonald et al need to step up and replace his production. After all, this is supposedly a “plug and play” defensive system. Let Saleh and Ulrich figure it out.

This team needs to invest in protecting Rodgers. If not, expect the same crap next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The 10th highest paid pass rusher (Hendrickson) makes 21 million/yr.

Frankly, I’d rather buy a tackle with that money.

Huff leaving as a free agent gives us a compensatory pick. It might be as high as a 3.

Let him walk. Johnson, Macdonald et al need to step up and replace his production. After all, this is supposedly a “plug and play” defensive system. Let Saleh and Ulrich figure it out.

This team needs to invest in protecting Rodgers. If not, expect the same crap next year.

How would the Jets get a comp pick in that scenario? 

• Upvote 2

this is the reality of a salary cap league. we can afford to pay him to take 40% of the snaps. 

and as @jif or whatever he is calling himself these days posted on another thread we give up 2 more yards per carry when Huff is on the field so he cant play every down. 

we all talked about taking from the defense to help make the offense better and this is it. we have McDonald ready to replace him and JJ took a big leap forward, it there was a spot on defense we could afford to let someone go this is it.

this is what good teams do all the time. KC couldnt pay Tyreeck Hill so they traded him. and there in the playoffs and favored to win it all. wait till Miami has to give Tua 50 mil a year which is soon i think, they probably have to get rid of Hill too. 

cant pay a pass rusher big money who sucks against the run while we have the worst offense in NFL history. this aint Madden

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Man those Steelers have a linebacker pipeline, that’s a well run team

the UDFA isn’t going to get a mega deal from the Jets?

Indiana Jones Life GIF

the Steelers generally re-sign those guys. 

Huff not being on the 2024 team isn't going to make or break them. I like Mcdonald. My frustration stems from the fact that, as others have astutely pointed out, Douglas tends to be more reactive than proactive when it comes to a lot of decisions. If he had decided it's easy to find Bryce Huffs out there, great. They should have traded him. Now if he pays him he's doing it at the height of his value. You are correct in that this is not a well run team. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

the Steelers generally re-sign those guys. 

Huff not being on the 2024 team isn't going to make or break them. I like Mcdonald. My frustration stems from the fact that, as others have astutely pointed out, Douglas tends to be more reactive than proactive when it comes to a lot of decisions. If he had decided it's easy to find Bryce Huffs out there, great. They should have traded him. Now if he pays him he's doing it at the height of his value. You are correct in that this is not a well run team. 

or maybe JD didnt expect Huff to take the jump him did. Huff only had 3 sacks last year and about 2 the year before. 

is it coincidence that Huff took his jump the same year JJ did? does QW getting double team help Huff out? 

we wont know till Huff is on another team next year. maybe he is a product of the system. like we say with Brock Purdy. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I knew he’d take a 2nd year leap but was not expecting this. 

That’s why I have some hope for McDonald. Most players improve the most between years 1 and 2 and between years 2 and 3. The only positions I trust this regime to get right are all on defense and edge is probably at the top of the list. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1