For haters, JD brilliant

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the main difference I see is that he’s frozen Rodgers entirely out of the offseason roster build. That Bakhtiari hasn’t even been called in for a physical astounds me. No MVS. Lazard supposedly on the block. Strange times.

We had to do what we had to do to get AR8 to agree to come here.  And we did things AR8's way last year because he deserved a chance at least.  But after seeing what AR8's guys did last year, there's no way in heck JD was going to risk getting fired over giving AR8 everything he wanted for a 2nd straight year. 

The truth is that JD has still only patched holes with short-term solutions and he's going to have to pull another highwire act next offseason.  This draft is going to be gigantic for JD to desperately try to fill in gaping holes going forward now that he's bought himself some time.  I expect him to try to trade down.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the main difference I see is that he’s frozen Rodgers entirely out of the offseason roster build. That Bakhtiari hasn’t even been called in for a physical astounds me. No MVS. Lazard supposedly on the block. Strange times.

Yep, that’s a great point Tom!

Rodgers might be the biggest one but let’s take a look at Saleh too.  Dancing around like a teenie bopper when JD took Will McDonald.  Needing his precious CJ last year at all costs rather than pushing the money over to Offense like they finally did this year in the way of a real pay cut.  

JD’s job has always been to make the tough (smart) decisions.  To weed out the noise.  And that’s where he has failed in many regards.  We’ll see if the apparently wiser JD’s 2024 plan works but it’s at least off to a good start.  I’ll be more convinced if we go Offense in rounds 1 and 3 and take a developmental QB rather than fearing hurting Rodger’s feelings.

• Post of the Week 1

Missing on Zach Wilson  and insisting on Zach Wilson will be the fall of this regime. Joe is I looking  to latest part of make up sex in this relationship and he hasn’t  showered in 4 days. So after this year ends like the last four we will be starting all over again. Just like always. 

Agree to disagree. 
It’s not binary. Not all good or all bad. 
I’ve seen enough Jets football to recognize competency.  I was around for the Leon Hess years and one of the only owner’s that rivals his inability to hire the right people is Woody Johnson.  There is nothing to base a belief that the next GM will be a smart hire.  

At the time, football people were shocked the Jets org was able to land JD.  He’s been far from perfect but he knows what a successful organization looks like and has been trying to build the team in that image.  Build through the trenches, draft premium positions high, get explosive athletes, don’t mortgage the future.

Unfortunately he whiffed on the young QB which set the team back years.  Has quite a few other big personnel whiffs. Eyes wide open.  

I like his team building philosophy. The Jets have a young core of elite guys. A reasonable cap situation. A HOF QB, and a chance.
This.

It's the most fair, level-headed post in this thread.

So please ban him, clearly he doesn't belong here.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

I think it’s fair to say JD is very hit or miss.  If he hits like he did in the 2022 draft it’s huge but when he misses like the 2023 offseason it’s bad.  His job is on the line do he has to have a good offseason.  Good moves so far but he still has to nail the draft.  He had given himself some flexibility to make some more moves to help now snd the future 

11 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Can we at least all agree that JD is trending in the right direction?

That absolves the haters and the cheerleaders in one post.

No?

i cant and wont admit that-he signed a bunch of guys with injury concerns to short deals and he is putting his hopes and dreams on a QB that is OLD and missed all of last season.

I am a guy that believes in actual results. If Joe was winning I would build a freaking statue of the guy and wear a Joe Douglass jersey all around town but his results have been TERRIBLE.

If last year showed us anything it is you dont play the games in the offseason and when you roll the dice on older players you can come up with snake eyes.

I think this is a simple season-if Joe manages to get the team into the playoffs you can extend him-if he does not show him the door he has had enough time-the lions, texans, browns, jags all rebuilt faster and better than Joe did with the Jets and the falcons and dare I say the bears are probably in better spots too

10 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

JD has been up and down with the Jets.

The last year was awful, and he deserves a lot of blame starting with “Zach needs to sit” to “Zach is our starter”.  Illogical.

Last year, he let Rodgers run the show and didn’t have a contingency plan.

Went Defense in round 1 when Offense was the right call.  Relied too heavily on Saleh’s man crush for guys like Duane Brown.  

So let’s not play the JD deserves our trust game.  The fact is he is lucky to have a job.

The key question for me is what has changed when you look at the smart plan he developed and is executing this offseason?

1. Pressure of win now?  He’s certainly not mortgaging the future as many in a precarious position might have done

2. Putting on his big boy pants and taking this by the horn?  Did his consensus decision making lead to bad decisions?  Hogan / MiLF wanted Zach.  Saleh wanted Will McDonald.  Rodgers wanted Lazard, Cobb, Turner, Cook.  

My gut is that JD has learned that he needs to be that guy and overrule some of the piss poor inputs he’s relied too heavily on.  And that might be the refreshing change this team needed.

JD has had some misses:  Becton, Wilson, Moore, Mims plus a lot of big $ FA signings that failed spectacularly.  None the less on paper, unlike his two predecessors, he has always built above average rosters.  Allowing the combination of a 1st time HC and a 1st time OC with a rookie QB sure seems bone headed in hindsight.  Overall though IMHO bad luck and injuries have played the major role in his W/L record as a GM.

Our Last 3 GMs have all had to learn on the job thanks to owner preference.  I think our blind squirrel has finally found his nut in JD (warts and all).                   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

i cant and wont admit that-he signed a bunch of guys with injury concerns to short deals and he is putting his hopes and dreams on a QB that is OLD and missed all of last season.

I am a guy that believes in actual results. If Joe was winning I would build a freaking statue of the guy and wear a Joe Douglass jersey all around town but his results have been TERRIBLE.

If last year showed us anything it is you dont play the games in the offseason and when you roll the dice on older players you can come up with snake eyes.

I think this is a simple season-if Joe manages to get the team into the playoffs you can extend him-if he does not show him the door he has had enough time-the lions, texans, browns, jags all rebuilt faster and better than Joe did with the Jets and the falcons and dare I say the bears are probably in better spots too

I actually dont disagree with any of this. You are referring to his past, trending in the right direction refers to today and the potential for tomorrow. 

As of the time I right this post, he is trending int he right direction, if he drafts a bunch of busts, all of his new guys get hurt or he drafts a dl in the firsr round then at that time he will trend in a different direction. 

I never mentioned an extention, he hasnt earned it yet. 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed

(edit - just for clarity, this was agreeing to "there are better GMs out there"

Who?  Like pull out who you think would be a better GM who is available.   If you're qualified to say there are better out there, let's hear a few.

I honestly don't get how the last dew seasons anyone can question JD - (yeah yeah yeah, record - the fact that there are 32 other teams doesn't matter).   The state of the roster when he took over vs. what it is now is years better.  He's been hurt by bad coaching and injuries. (I'm not defending everyone here, see.)

And while you're complaining - what would you have done differently THIS year?    If you took over as the GM on the last day of the season last year, what would you do differently, and how would we better?    

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Funny how the owners, the players, the networks, the advertisers, the stadium builders, none of them give a flying shi* about the fans.

Every move they make is 'a business decision' but the fans?  Well as a fan you are expected to support your team no matter how awful or incompetent they are.

Would actually be great to see the fans walk for a couple of years and then see how they are treated when all the other stake holders are getting nothing,

Yeah that’s fine in theory but business decisions don’t get made when the stakeholders are all busy huffing farts.

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

JD has been up and down with the Jets.

The last year was awful, and he deserves a lot of blame starting with “Zach needs to sit” to “Zach is our starter”.  Illogical.

Last year, he let Rodgers run the show and didn’t have a contingency plan.

Went Defense in round 1 when Offense was the right call.  Relied too heavily on Saleh’s man crush for guys like Duane Brown.  

So let’s not play the JD deserves our trust game.  The fact is he is lucky to have a job.

The key question for me is what has changed when you look at the smart plan he developed and is executing this offseason?

1. Pressure of win now?  He’s certainly not mortgaging the future as many in a precarious position might have done

2. Putting on his big boy pants and taking this by the horn?  Did his consensus decision making lead to bad decisions?  Hogan / MiLF wanted Zach.  Saleh wanted Will McDonald.  Rodgers wanted Lazard, Cobb, Turner, Cook.  

My gut is that JD has learned that he needs to be that guy and overrule some of the piss poor inputs he’s relied too heavily on.  And that might be the refreshing change this team needed.

Your takeaway is that he has wrestled control from Rodgers?  I like the moves and the deals seem fine, but a monkey knew that we needed RT, LT, G and WR in this offfseason.  That we had to replace the guys we were losing at DT and S.  I know this because this board is filled with monkeys and not one of us thought any different. 

I guess that your gut could be right, but so far we are primarily at making the consensus right move.  Those are easy.  The moves that put you over the top are the ones where you make the unconventional decision that pays off.  That is what I am waiting to see.  I am more impressed with Carter II and Tony Adams than signing Tyron Smith, though I think the JD haters probably should be impressed that he closed the deals with Smith and Williams when I heard that he was afraid to spend.  I think they both had other visits and cancelled to sign here.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

It’s hard to even respond to these guys. You cannot change their complacent mindset. 

It's hard to respond to guys like you.  You cannot change their negative mindset.  Feel free to apply to be the next Jets GM.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Missing on Zach Wilson  and insisting on Zach Wilson will be the fall of this regime. Joe is I looking  to latest part of make up sex in this relationship and he hasn’t  showered in 4 days. So after this year ends like the last four we will be starting all over again. Just like always. 

Hey man, maybe: Zach:JD::Kyle:Ozzie!

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He has likely been the worst GM in the NFL for the past 5 years.

Not one even winning season, let alone playoffs.

But he takes the right approach in the offseason!

Someone else here said it best - it’s about results, not intentions 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He is correcting a lot of his huge errors from last year.

He might just have seized the GM reigns back from Rodgers.

The next big test for him will be the draft.

If he does not STILL go heavy heavy offense then he is being herded by Saleh.

He has filled some short term holes but he needs to go all out offense.

Almost feels like he ate sh*t last year just to attract Rodgers and this year he’s gotten back to his prevailing strategy. Either way, his “build” years are done, time to produce.

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1 or 2 bad decisions is an outlier.

Multiple bad decisions is a trend.

And I ask again: name a GM that hasn't made multiple bad decisions over the entire course of their careers.  If we didn't have the 2nd pick in a year with one of the worst QB classes in recent memory, everyone would love JD.  With good QB play, this team makes the playoffs the past two years. 

We had 9 different linemen play multiple positions last year, and (I think) 15 different people played on OL last year for us.  And we were still in the playoff picture going into December. 

You are one of the smartest and most informed people on this board.  And I get this fan base is shell-shocked from the longest playoff drought in all four major sports, and about 10 presidents since a Super Bowl win.  But this team has more talent than any team since Rex Ryan's tenure.  Christ, Mark Sanchez could have got this team to the playoffs.  Vinny Testeverde might have got us as deep a playoff run as he did for Parcells. 

But we all know what happens after this season if the Jets do not make the playoffs: New GM, new head coach, new OC, new DC, new coaching staff, new starting QB.  If that is the route we go, the next GM will be better set up than any of the last four ever were.  Not sure why that is so hard for some to accept.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Almost feels like he ate sh*t last year just to attract Rodgers and this year he’s gotten back to his prevailing strategy. Either way, his “build” years are done, time to produce.

Seems to be true.  The way he approached F/A was prudent.  Not many big-ticket items, but lots more plug-and-play 1-2 year contracts.  Done the best anyone could do with that Mosely contract he was saddled with (thank you MM).

But, the last line rings true:  If there are no playoffs, there is no more JD, Saleh, Hackett, and the rest of the coaching staff.  We will be starting over again.  At least, we will be starting over with two of the best CB in the league, a star WR, a very good RB, and a solid pass rush.  

Sauce, GW, and JJ will be eligible for extensions in a year and due in 2.

You can only use the franchise tag on one of them.

AVT needs a new deal after this season, unless you franchise him.

Douglas is smart going all-in on incentivized 1y deals.

With the 1y “prove it” deals you also tend to get guys who are hungry and motivated to ball out and produce for maybe their last crack at a big multi-year deal.

27 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's hard to respond to guys like you.  You cannot change their negative mindset.  Feel free to apply to be the next Jets GM.

LOL the guy made a couple good signings since being here and you want to give him a prostate exam 

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

Extend him. 

He’s competent, well thought out, decisive, and has a master plan. I’m aware of all the whiffs. He’s done enough to overcome them. 

I think Woody takes us back to the Dark Ages if we lose Joe.

The best reason to extend is Woody is likely to hire somebody worse.   He's drafting may come up to the NFL mean over 10 years.  4 years is likely not enough time to overcome 2 years of blunders.  

Jets fans have been so traumatized from decades of losing and poor decision making from ownership, the front office, and coaches, that we fall all over ourselves like we have Stockholm Syndrome to praise our 6th year GM (who has been a failure by any reasonable measurement for the last 5 years) because he made a few decent FA signings to fill holes that he created from his previous failures. The Jets have produced a 27-56 record on his watch.  This is PATHETIC and the only true way to measure his work.  If any of us produced at this level of incompetency at our jobs, we would have been fired a long time ago. He deserves ZERO praise for a decent offseason. Jets fans want results on the field. That's all that matters. After 5 miserable years if he can finally achieve that, that's when he'll earn some praise.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Can we at least all agree that JD is trending in the right direction?

That absolves the haters and the cheerleaders in one post.

No?

I see several level headed posts.

JD has been executing a smart offseason plan but has been wildly up and down with several big hits and big misses depending on which way the wind blows.

Some, like me, are wondering why the bad has been so bad?  How culpable are/were internal voices like Rodgers, Saleh, Woody, Hogan?

Has JD learned / evolved to not piecemeal fragmented individual biases and world views today?

Is that why this year seems like the most cohesive offensive plan we have seen?

Good start to the offseason.  Upcoming decisions should tell us whether this is indeed the JD show, which I believe it needs to be.  

A good next step?  Kick Saleh, Rodgers, and Woody out of the draft room and go Offense in rounds 1 & 3, drafting a mid round QB along the way.  I get you really cannot do that but you get the point.  At least lower their volume or put them on mute. 

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I see several level headed posts.

JD has been executing a smart offseason plan but has been up and down.

Some, like me, are wondering why the bad has been so bad?  How culpable are/were internal voices like Rodgers, Saleh, Woody, Hogan?

Has JD learned / evolved to not piecemeal fragmented individual biases and world views today?

Is that why this year seems like the most cohesive offensive plan we have seen?

Good start to the offseason.  Upcoming decisions should tell us whether this is indeed the JD show, which I believe it needs to be.  

A good next step?  Kick Saleh, Rodgers, and Woody out of the draft room and go Offense in rounds 1 & 3, drafting a mid round QB along the way.  I get you really cannot do that but you get the point.  At least lower their volume or put them on mute. 

The thing with letting Rodgers, Saleh and Woody have a say is interesting.  It is one thing to let your QB add low dollar guys like Cobb.  Quite another to put up $10M for Lazard and God only knows who thought Hardman was a good idea.  Rex getting to pick Scotty McKnight or the Terminator in the 7th?  No big whoop. Letting him influence you into taking D at the top ever year?  Big whoop. 

FWIW, Saleh seems to have been providing some good input.  Literally almost all of the guys they draft on D appear to be solid with McDonald remaining to be seen.  Just don't let that happen at the expense of offense.  Unfortunately, everything I have seen from Hackett seems to say he is a joker that isn't going to provide input of any value.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Only one post in!  

This franchise has destroyed the psyche of an entire fanbase.

You can't ask your GM to do more than what he is done.  Will it result in victories?  Who knows.  Joe Douglas has been the best GM this franchise has had since Parcells.  It hasn't resulted in victories (thanks to lousy QB play that he was a part in picking), but he has done well.  

Hopefully, the next GM can build on the solid base JD has started. 

well u said it. look at the w/l record. Thats the bottom line. not so sure that he is the best weve had in a long time. Curious to see mac/tannys records....

As for this season I promised myself I would not be too optimistic. Last season killed me and I say that every year.

It is not unfair to say that all the guys Joe has added are all over the hill vets in their twilight years and coming off significant injuries. Its not like he brought us a 27 year old top 10 player with no injury issues in any of these positions. 

If we get a stroke of luck and avoid the injury bug, it could work out. But maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of this line will be not playing come week 7 due to injury. we shall see

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your takeaway is that he has wrestled control from Rodgers?  I like the moves and the deals seem fine, but a monkey knew that we needed RT, LT, G and WR in this offfseason.  That we had to replace the guys we were losing at DT and S.  I know this because this board is filled with monkeys and not one of us thought any different. 

I guess that your gut could be right, but so far we are primarily at making the consensus right move.  Those are easy.  The moves that put you over the top are the ones where you make the unconventional decision that pays off.  That is what I am waiting to see.  I am more impressed with Carter II and Tony Adams than signing Tyron Smith, though I think the JD haters probably should be impressed that he closed the deals with Smith and Williams when I heard that he was afraid to spend.  I think they both had other visits and cancelled to sign here.

All very fair points Dominator.  My gut is that several voices have clouded JD's better judgment.  Maybe the guy was/is too soft to make the tough (or unpopular) decisions.

But also fair is last year the board consensus knew we needed:

1. A legitimate back-up QB 

2. More offensive playmakers

3. More OL help

4. Draft Offense round 1 

5. Cut Carl Lawson

6. Not sign Calvin Cook

7. Mosley pay cut (because the $10M he was overpaid needed to go elsewhere)

So a step in the right direction and fair to contemplate why the hell some of these 'easy for us' decisions weren't made and who influenced them.