What went wrong with Mo.

CanadienJetsFan

Just wondering out loud what would make a guy who seemed like he was on his way to Jet greatness suddenly become a dud. Here he is with a great contract, is considered one of the team's leaders, yet he continued to disappoint. Just what went wrong? Now after being told numerous times that being late would not be tolerated anymore, what would make a man continue to do it? I can't accept that he's just a dumb, you know what. Or, that all that money changed him. I have to think there's more behind this. Perhaps he's pissed off at the team with the way he was mistreated/misdiagnosed with his injury from last year? Anyway just wondering out loud.

imo, he got his payday so there was little incentive to do much, at least for the first couple of years, and they weren't winning.  winning makes everyone feel better.  the thing is, the players still have to try playing because if they don't then more losing is assured.  no telling what's really going on.  they pretty much gave away 3 games thus far.  8-5 would look a heck of a lot better right now than 5-8.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Just wondering out loud what would make a guy who seemed like he was on his way to Jet greatness suddenly become a dud. Here he is with a great contract, is considered one of the team's leaders, yet he continued to disappoint. Just what went wrong? Now after being told numerous times that being late would not be tolerated anymore, what would make a man continue to do it? I can't accept that he's just a dumb, you know what. Or, that all that money changed him. I have to think there's more behind this. Perhaps he's pissed off at the team with the way he was mistreated/misdiagnosed with his injury from last year? Anyway just wondering out loud.

Selfish lazy pos,  plenty of them around. Not jets fault. Some guys love to compete for love of competition and game, others just look to make $

As I will insist forever that no one with his workload/snap counts at his size playing this sport at the highest level can reasonably be considered lazy, I go with the Jets being a garbage organization top to bottom. If they actually misdiagnosed and mistreated his injury last year that only adds to the case. Combine that with the level of talent on the roster, a choice made by said garbage organization, since he signed and it’s *almost* as if he was set up to fail. Throw in a league that kinda hates their players unless they are a QB, and even then only slightly less....

That said, being late to these defensive meetings throws a mighty big wrench in this. You don’t just do that unless you’re unquestionably a vile and greedy piece of human sh*t. 

Tannenbaum and Rex both were afraid of this and nearly didn't draft him because of it.  He then worked hard enough to get paid.  Once he got paid, he reverted to what those who studied his college tape saw and feared.  But, yeah, blame Bowles or the Jets or whoever you like, even though this was well known from Day 1.

20 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

1 - Idzik / Mac waited too long to sign him, probably created some bad feelings?

2 - Mac did not trade him when he had the opportunity - more bad feelings?

3 - Rex locker room, Revis plus Sheldon, 2016 team implosion, followed by Bowles discipline

= No Mo

Really? So Wilkerson was ready to tank his reputation and his career because he's a spiteful four year old? Nah... how about we blame Wilkerson for some of this along the way. Every player isn't doing the crap he's doing.

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Tannenbaum and Rex both were afraid of this and nearly didn't draft him because of it.  He then worked hard enough to get paid.  Once he got paid, he reverted to what those who studied his college tape saw and feared.  But, yeah, blame Bowles or the Jets or whoever you like, even though this was well known from Day 1.

Pettine I think was the guy who made reference to it in that book. Mo loafed in college.

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Money.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

1 - Idzik / Mac waited too long to sign him, probably created some bad feelings?

2 - Mac did not trade him when he had the opportunity - more bad feelings?

3 - Rex locker room, Revis plus Sheldon, 2016 team implosion, followed by Bowles discipline

= No Mo

I hope this is a joke.

Please stop blaming everyone else for this degenerate's behavior.  He's always had a questionable motor and a problem with lateness.  For whatever reason, his behavior flew under the radar until last year.  He even flipped a car after a late night out in 2012 and somehow got away with it.  Once he got paid, he completely mailed it in.

There's no need to overanalyze this.  The situation is really straightforward.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

How about he was NEVER great? He was ok, had some dominant games sprinkled in, had a big year in his contract year and suckered the Jets into thinking that somehow despite all evidence to the contrary he was going to suddenly become a consistent player at a high level. 

Dude was a second team all-pro in 2013, he had over 10 sacks that year and during 2015. He was a great overall player, versatile, a great pass rusher and run stiffer- the total package as far as his position goes. There was a time he was worth the contract he wound up getting; three years ago I would legitimately call him the best 3-4 d-lineman not named JJ Watt.

Now? He's fallen off a cliff.

As for what happened? Lots of things, but if I had to choose the biggest culprits for his lack of production it would be injuries and not having Snacks around to open up opprotunites. After all, while he was healthy and had Harrison next to him he was amazing, both with Rex and Bowles (so scheme wasn't the issue) 

After he broke his leg he was never the same physically and mentally. He was temperamental in the past but able to be a great player for the Jets regardless of those outbursts, now I think everything has just snowballed out of control for him. His worst tendencies are magnified because he can't get back to being the guy he was out on the field.

Just saying "he got paid" feels like a lazy answer. Something tells me that even if he had gotten paid a year earlier than he did and he still broke his leg he'd have the same three years he just had- a great year in 2015 followed by a down year after a poor rehab in 2016 and then the wheels falling of this year.

You ask me it was his broken leg that broke the camels back.

I think the lion's share of the problem was the DL scheme change under Bowles.  Under Rex Mo thrived but under Bowles he failed.  The job/function/responsibility of a Rex DL is just about opposite of that of a Bowles DL.  Seems Mo was unable to adapt.

Plus the broken leg/entitled attitude thingies of course.  Bottom line, f him.     

The Jets organization has flaws from top to bottom.  From the owner, to owner's brother, to GM, to HC, to scouting department, to players, all the way down to the poor saps in the ticket sales office. 

But NOBODY is to blame for Muhammad Wilkerson's play except Muhammad Wilkerson.  He is a shameless, lying, lazy, self-serving prick that should give some of his money back out of principal.  But, of course, he won't.   Only someone with a conscience would feel bad about ripping off a company for tens of millions of dollars without having earned a cent.  Wilkerson has no conscience.

The only blame to assign to the Jets front office is for believing in him and paying him in the first place.

Mo's behavior is ENTIRELY on him, and him alone.

27 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

Fact of the matter is, Sheldon, Mo and Snacks were all beastly with Rex. Snacks leaves and keeps on crushing it, Sheldon and Mo stay after Rex leaves and they fall apart.

Rex and Dunbar were the best in the business at coaching up d-linemen.  That's about all I can say about their later years here.

Oh for the love of god, Sheldon is one puff away from a year suspension.  We got lucky to get a 2nd and Kearse for him.   Mo is lazy and rich.  Bowles has no business being a HC and enabled him by not putting the hammer down discipline wise.

I hope Petty wins all 3 games and Bowles is fired for not giving him a chance.  

8 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I hope this is a joke.

Please stop blaming everyone else for this degenerate's behavior.  He's always had a questionable motor and a problem with lateness.  For whatever reason, his behavior flew under the radar until last year.  He even flipped a car after a late night out in 2012 and somehow got away with it.  Once he got paid, he completely mailed it in.

There's no need to overanalyze this.  The situation is really straightforward.

Maybe so, but he played well and did not complain for 4 years before he started to grumble in year 5, said all the right things, signed his contract in year 6 and dropped off a cliff, now it looks like year 7 will be his last  - maybe it's as simple as; "he got paid and quit like the lazy POS that he is", but it feels like something else helped to create this situation (usually a lazy POS does not make it that far)

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

As I will insist forever that no one with his workload/snap counts at his size playing this sport at the highest level can reasonably be considered lazy, I go with the Jets being a garbage organization top to bottom. If they actually misdiagnosed and mistreated his injury last year that only adds to the case. Combine that with the level of talent on the roster, a choice made by said garbage organization, since he signed and it’s *almost* as if he was set up to fail. Throw in a league that kinda hates their players unless they are a QB, and even then only slightly less....

That said, being late to these defensive meetings throws a mighty big wrench in this. You don’t just do that unless you’re unquestionably a vile and greedy piece of human sh*t. 

Would also add that the consistent failure to add a proper edge rusher(going all the way back to John Abraham) makes the whole unit look worse, we simply cannot get to the QB and big units like Mo who weigh 310lbs + can never be expected to do that on their own. Even under Rex we were monsters at stopping the run but pressuring the QB was consistently our undoing. Add a threat on the edge that defenders have to worry about means these big guys get more one on ones and more QB Pushed up into them in the pocket. Doesn’t excuse the indiscipline but when will we ever learn it’s about the pass rush.

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

He let them know it was something to do with his son and he’d be have to be late. Bowles made the decision to keep him NY anyway. Not defending Wilkerson ..just saying..missing meetings no matter how ******* idiotic it is(I mean, you privileged ****, you make millions to play a game) ..he still isn’t a “piece of human sh*t” ..that is extremely too far and you sound stupid as all hell.

Archived