Same, Better, Worse

DMan77

Same, Better, Worse  

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Jets and their future today compared to this time last year?

I think it's really easy to look at the season in a bubble of a few games or plays. I think it's even easier to focus on the things that went wrong. The plays you didn't like, the roster moves you hated, the coaching decisions you question, the dread of not having talent where you want it.

I think for me at least, it's good to stretch out my view and get a perspective on where things stand at the end of the season now compared to last year.

And when I look at it that way... I feel better about this team today than I did 365 days ago. That doesn't mean I feel GREAT about them on the whole. It doesn't mean I'm expecting an 8 game swing next year... But when I take stock of where we were last year compared to this year, I feel better. I think there is a much better foundation in place now than anytime in the last couple of years. Of course there are a lot of holes too, but overall I feel better about the direction they're heading. I feel better about the talent on this team than I have in the last 2-3 years.

Curious to see how everyone else feels as they take stock of the last few seasons. 

MUCH BETTER...

First of all, I believe they are committed to drafting a QB...did not believe that last off-season.

They're a young team right now, showed promise at a number of positions, have $100mm cap space the number 6 pick with a total of 3 picks in the top 50.

Contrary to most of the Jet "fans" there's a lot of reason to be optimistic.

The Jets are the second worst team in the league, not only in terms of performance, but also in foundational talent. If the Jets fired Bowles today, they’d represent, by far, the least desirable job opening in the league. In order to turn the team around within two years, they’ll need to hit on a QB and pass rushers this offseason. The person making those picks has demonstrated zero capacity to identify talent at those positions. 

I think overall we are building something here.  there's a lot of work to do but we are on the right track.  The one thing holding us back is the HC but that will work itself out, either he improves by large margin next year or we move on and the next coach takes over a team ready to win.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are the second worst team in the league, not only in terms of performance, but also in foundational talent. If the Jets fired Bowles today, they’d represent, by far, the least desirable job opening in the league. In order to turn the team around within two years, they’ll need to hit on a QB and pass rushers this offseason. The person making those picks has demonstrated zero capacity to identify talent at those positions. 

I like this one. Can I use it interchangeably with Premium Position? I am thinking yours includes Gs and RT under OL. 

Foundational talent...very classy. I bet they’d feel really classy if you called them that. 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not even close 

Last year Revis was jogging around. 

The culture on the team is 100% better 

The trolls will be here to mock that fact, don't listen to those warped twisted old fools 

Mo was jogging around this year too

Slam dunk. We've finally found a QB in McCown that can get us to a sniff-the-playoffs level. Can't wait to re-sign him. Those 5 wins are proof and have us in a position to finally draft the defensive lineman of our dreams, one that can really allow our young star safeties to shine. And the icing on the cake, a contract extension for Todd Bowles. I'm so happy the players are happy and comfortable and singing songs in the locker room. That's what winners do. He's such a dynamic personality and master game planner. He pretty much schooled every coach he faced this season.

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not even close 

The trolls will be here to mock that fact, don't listen to those warped twisted old fools 

The cool aid purveyors on this site make me laugh. They talk about "SOJFS" LOL, to me those who accept mediocrity and losing, are the REAL SOJFS. Cool aid guys, we are in exactly the same position we were 365 days ago, only worse now because they extended the problem. "Last year Revis was jogging around" this year Wilkerson was benched for the last 4 games and loafed through the first 12, and will surely be cut and headed straight up to NE before the deadline guaranteeing his ridiculous salary that our GM gave him kicks in. "The Culture on this team is 100% better". LMAO, does that new culture include quitting in games before the end of the first half? These "warped twisted old fools" have lived / suffered through 10 times as much bull$hit with this team as you have rookie, so if I were you I would pipe down, be respectful, and enjoy that cool aid fantasy of a Todd Bowles coached team ever sniffing the playoffs! In case you have not been keeping on current events, let me remind you.

We have no talent anywhere except S and even that is questionable. We have no QB, average to below average RB's, average to below average OL, a totally over rated DL that never makes a big play late in games to secure a win, no TE's, average to below average WR's (Robbie Anderson is immature and is not a great player), no pass rushers whatsoever, no CB's whatsoever, and most glaringly, no speed anywhere. But yes Bowles has changed the "culture" of the team. Give me a break already. The only reason this guy was extended was to attract FA's, it presents the appearance of stability, so that FA players will consider coming here to lose 11+ games again next season. The good news is Bowles can be fired anytime once the losing begins in earnest next season.

We went 5-11 2 years running, quit in games, have made terrible in game decisions, make no in game adjustments, make horrific personnel decisions and on and on, but yes the "culture" has changed. What a joke. Jack Del Rio went 25-23 and 0-1 in the playoffs and he got fired, our local genius has gone 10-22 over the last 2 years with the playoffs being nothing but pure fantasy and he got rewarded. Tells you all you need to know about this organization. The only thing worse to me is Hugh Jackson being allowed to continue in CLE after going 1-31 over 2 seasons. I have never felt so disgusted, so apathetic, and so utterly and totally disinterested in the NY Jets as I was this season. Maybe if we do not pass on the QB this season to draft a S, and actually draft some offensive star power and speed it will rekindle my interest, but then again, there is always the HC in the way of my getting excited. How can anyone with human senses get excited about someone like Todd Bowles?

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Slam dunk. We've finally found a QB in McCown that can get us to a sniff-the-playoffs level. Can't wait to re-sign him. Those 5 wins are proof and have us in a position to finally draft the defensive lineman of our dreams, one that can really allow our young star safeties to shine. And the icing on the cake, a contract extension for Todd Bowles. I'm so happy the players are happy and comfortable and singing songs in the locker room. That's what winners do. He's such a dynamic personality and master game planner. He pretty much schooled every coach he faced this season.

I see what you did there....giggles....

sh*t sorry, I meant to answer the thread.

My #hottake is that the Jets are in as strong a position as they have ever been. 

They have:

- gotten the most out of the QBs they have put on the field. Unfortunately it’s been 40 year olds and Bryce Petty, but that can change fast. Yes, that was the most Bryce Petty has to offer.

- an extremely healthy cap situation.

- more cap space to come without any hard cuts.  

- a FA class that caters to their needs (offense, QB) with young talent. 

- motivation to spend with that 80% of the cap rule. 

- a fairly clean path to those FAs, particularly after the 49ers traded for their QB.

- a fairly clean path to the top passer in the draft. This is particularly true after the Giants stated their commitment to Manning. Browns will take one of Rosen/Darnold and the Broncos will take the other. That leaves Mayfield for the Jets in a draft where the next best prospect that will get to them is a guard or a running back, you easily take the value at QB. 

So I feel *great* about what could happen if they aren’t bitches. It’s not the doomiest and gloomiest of situations like whatever the hell was going on from 2012-2015.

I have some questions on their ability to move fast and aggressive enough for this teeny tiny crack in the door they made to matter. 

I forgot about the cap space! That's so great. Free agency is definitely the way to build a team. I hope we can continue with our successful history there. Guys that are young, talented and cost effective ALWAYS become available in free agency. Let's use all of that cap on a situational pass rusher with 4 sacks, a run stuffer and a full steam ahead fullback. It's important to keep ahead of the dominant style of play in this league.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

MUCH BETTER...

First of all, I believe they are committed to drafting a QB...did not believe that last off-season.

They're a young team right now, showed promise at a number of positions, have $100mm cap space the number 6 pick with a total of 3 picks in the top 50.

Contrary to most of the Jet "fans" there's a lot of reason to be optimistic.

I think most Jet fans are in the neutral to optimistic range and that the pessimists are just very vocal.   

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think most Jet fans are in the neutral to optimistic range and that the pessimists are just very vocal.   

I agree. I don't get all the negativity. We finally have the QB situation resolved. Not that the QB is all that important any more. It's not 2017 anymore, folks. That was so yesterday.

12 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

My #hottake is that the Jets are in as strong a position as they have ever been. 

They have:

- gotten the most out of the QBs they have put on the field. Unfortunately it’s been 40 year olds and Bryce Petty, but that can change fast. Yes, that was the most Bryce Petty has to offer.

- a fairly clean path to those FAs, particularly after the 49ers traded for their QB.

- a fairly clean path to the top passer in the draft. This is particularly true after the Giants stated their commitment to Manning. Browns will take one of Rosen/Darnold and the Broncos will take the other. That leaves Mayfield for the Jets in a draft where the next best prospect that will get to them is a guard or a running back, you easily take the value at QB. 

So I feel *great* about what could happen if they aren’t bitches. It’s not the doomiest and gloomiest of situations like whatever the hell was going on from 2012-2015.

I have some questions on their ability to move fast and aggressive enough for this teeny tiny crack in the door they made to matter. 

Agree with the entire post except I think he Giants are absolutely taking a QB - regardless of what they say.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is my biggest worry and greatest fear going into the off-season. I could see Macc screwing the pooch quite easily in FA and the draft. Reminds me of when they went crazy in the 90's when they went after Lott, Marshall, etc.

It is worse because we are not drafting offense in the first round.  We will go after FA's and it will be Groundhogs day all over again.  In a rebuild you play younger players and build from the draft .  We sign 38yr old QB's  and never let the the young QB's have a shot.   We do not address the OL through the draft.  CB's and DL will be addressed this season in the first 4 rounds.   

Anyone who sees a brighter future under this CS and FO are on some very good meds.  And you should share them with the rest of us.

We are ******, and the ones responsible just got extended.

13m3iw.jpg

Realistically, we have improved since last season.  However, none of it makes the least bit of difference unless we get a real QB.  I just look at the 49ers pre-Jimmy G (1-10) vs post-Jimmy G (5-0).  It wasn't about them "improving since last year".  It was ALL about having a real QB.

Meanwhile the Jets probably have the single worst QB situation in the NFL.  The only guy who has (had?) a potential future with this team was the one guy our HC (who just got a 2 year extension) absolutely refused to play.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

They have:

We have cap space but, if we want to trade up to draft a QB, it's going to cost us big-time in this year and next year's drafts.  So very possibly our draft situation (which currently seems strong) is actually going to be a lot weaker than it looks. 

As for free-agents, @JetPotato (dripping with sarcasm) said it best: "Free agency is definitely the way to build a team. I hope we can continue with our successful history there. Guys that are young, talented and cost effective ALWAYS become available in free agency." 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Not even close 

I agree certainly on this aspect. The players never quit this season. The HC on the other hand.  There's potential to build here and I'm really leery with Bowles at the helm especially when there's a chnace to seriously upgrade the offense, something Bowles may get in the way of. 

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have cap space but, if we want to trade up to draft a QB, it's going to cost us big-time in this year and next year's drafts.  So very possibly our draft situation (which currently seems strong) is actually going to be a lot weaker than it looks. 

As for free-agents, @JetPotato (dripping with sarcasm) said it best: "Free agency is definitely the way to build a team. I hope we can continue with our successful history there. Guys that are young, talented and cost effective ALWAYS become available in free agency." 

- Trading up for a QB is only a possibility and not even such a strong one right now. 

- The Jets’ problems don’t stem from signing FAs. Actually no one’s problems stem from signing FAs ever.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You stole foundational talent from me. 

Please use footnotes or I will have to fail you 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Pass rusher? Come on man. Only been 10 years since we traded Abe away. 

This is what a rebuild looks like.  This team wasn't getting fixed in one year.

I'm ok with the progress since last year, except for missing on Watson but it's early to judge.  He might regress or get killed or the next QB we get may make us forget about Watson.

I see no tank next year.  I see playoff hunt.

Archived