Report: Jets Finalizing Deal With Teddy Bridgewater

JetNation

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sciond said:

nothing Mac does will make Jet fans happy...

I think it the best option considering the available players....

The only thing he can do that will make me happy is for him to do the Honorable thing....Resign.

He is totally in over his head and just about everyone knows it now.  He and Bowles have almost irreparably damaged the Jet brand...perfect evidence is that no one wants to come to the Jets, and remember this is NY, not only filled with excitement, if you play only semi well you’ll be handed endorsement dollars, as NY players are very often over hyped, but now the Jets are the new Cleveland.

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There's upside in a trade too - if Teddy plays well we have trade bait next off-season.  

All of this is predicated on getting one of the 4 - but for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt when discussing this signing.

My thinking, as of now, is we don't HAVE to take a QB at #6. Maybe grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Lauetta ?

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What makes you think the jets won’t take a QB at 6?

they better take a QB because if they go into the season with McCown Bridgewater and Hack as the QB's then don't take a QB in this draft Im pretty sure Im done with this team

27 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Let me ask you if your Bridgewater, and you haven’t officially signed yet which I’m assuming he has not because it would have been all over the place, once you hear McCown got 10 million from the team you’ve been dancing with for hours wouldn’t you be like all hell know your gonna play me like this?  I’d walk if I was him for sure.

He hasn't officially signed yet because he cannot sign until tomorrow.  So yes, if a deal was reached "in principle" he can back out.

Just like Josh McDaniels did with the Colts.

Just like Kirk Cousins could with the Vikings.

Just like any of these announced signings could - since no one has actually signed yet. (and yes...I'm only talking about expiring contract FAs - those who were "cut" from their teams can and have been actually signing their contracts)x

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Is what it is I guess, Jets get the sloppy broke kneed seconds as usual.

Be fun hearing the organization try and sell this pile of steaming PR to us after the deal is done.

Did I say fun, no, I meant depressing.

If the number is larger than single-digit-millions-per season, we got hosed.  Bidding against ourselves, cause no one else has shown any real interest in Bridgewater.

Bridgewater is like 5ths not seconds

Signing Josh Mccown last year is the reason we’re not getting Darnold this year. Like we were also a zero win team last year. 

This suffering is interminable. We’d actually be in better position if a sinkhole in Florham park swallowed the whole facility last preseason and we were starting from scratch with the #1 overall pick and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m gonna go out on a serious limb, and assume the Jets failed to sign Bridgewater, and panicked by signing McCown.

That wouldn't be panicking that would be doing the smart thing. Mccown is a solid vet that will help develop a young QB and will be cool with getting benched when the rookie is ready.

I'd much prefer him than Bridgewater who will likely feel entitled.

Don't understand all the hate on Mccown re-signing. All you heard last year was what a great mentor McCown was, and how he is guaranteed to be a QB coach once he retires. If you want to draft a QB, you want McCown on the roster to work with him.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That wouldn't be panicking that would be doing the smart thing. Mccown is a solid vet that will help develop a young QB and will be cool with getting benched when the rookie is ready.

I'd much prefer him than Bridgewater who will likely feel entitled.

He wasn't even cool with taking his $10M and not blabbing that they told him he would start.  

Just now, 20andOut said:

Don't understand all the hate on Mccown re-signing. All you heard last year was what a great mentor McCown was, and how he is guaranteed to be a QB coach once he retires. If you want to draft a QB, you want McCown on the roster to work with him.

Mentor QB's are a myth...not needed. McCown could have been signed to the same $ as a QB coach if that's what we want. THere is no guarantee that the drafted QB will become a franchise QB so you use all 3 roster spots on QB's that at least have a chance to become one. We aren't pushing for a playoff spot next year so we don't need a "spot-starter" backup to win a game or two. We have 3 chances to find a Franchise QB and we shouldn't waste one of those on McCown. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

As stated repeatedly, a QB who's only good year was on Adrian Peterson's 1800 Yard back, whose never thrown more than 14 TD's and never had less than 15 turnovers, and whose knee was turned to swiss cheese in a non-contact injury that led to him not playing a meaningful down for two years.

Yes, I have my doubts.

A consistent multi-year 4,000 yard passer on a generally poorly run, poorly coached, poorly generally managed disater of a team here in Washington DC.

Yes, I'd have preferred that to Bridgewater.

The idea that you think Cousins is only slightly better than Bridgewater tells me everything I need to know about how you evaluate QB's.

Hint:  Cousins is widely regarded as a top 10 NFL QB.  Bridgewater is widely considered as a guy who might one day play QB again.

Guess we'll see if you're right.  You could be.  We can compare QB stats and wins/losses for Cousins/Vikings and Bridgewater/Jets over the next few years and decide who was right.

And we'll know if we even draft a QB soon too.  I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about that first round just yet....

Cousins =/= all our cash. 

At the rate we're going, we may have a hard time even getting to the cap floor without overpaying for the second and third tier guys remaining in FA.

4 and 19 as a starter against winning teams to fully guarantee a contract to what may amount to an average qb with all the holes on this team is not to smart. 90 million guaranteed to a 30 old qb that has been to the playoffs? I will take bridgewater and draft a qb any day of the week. That shows how desperate you are in trying to justify cousins at any cost. In the long run we are in a better position. 

Now they need to draft a qb as well with the 6th pick

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/75043/after-kirk-cousins-snub-jets-gm-under-pressure-to-draft-right-qb

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins-redskins-not-beating-playoff-caliber-teams

This guy is worth 100 million dollars guaranteed cant win against winning teams hasn't been to the playoffs. Because that is what is being report 30 million a yr with the contract fully guaranteed.

We can get olineman a rb and additional playerrs to make this team better rather then investing in a qb that cant beat teams with winning records.

You can say the redskins are a mess but so are the Jets if he could not do it there what makes you think he would do it here?

I am not saying Bridgewater is going to be all pro but I will gamble on the 6th pick and Bridgewater that one of the two could be better.

And for the record look at the sampling first two yrs and bridgewater was a slightly better qb average wise. that is the sampling I am judging by. Because if I look at the winning when it counts...Cousins leaves allot to be desired. If he could not lift a redskin team how in the world do expect him to lift a Jet team?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

They need McCown. Teddy is one hit away from collecting Social Security Disability checks. And our 1st round pick (if Macc sacks up) may not be ready yet when that happens. 

Huh? We get 1 hour to talk about Jets moves (the only one of the day, mind you) before we have to move on?

ny player is one hit away. if he passes a physical then Bridgewater plus a drafted qb would be great, I am meh on Mcnown

Is the Bridgewater signing still going to happen in light of the McCown signing?  There's still a chance a top 4 QB falls to the Jets in the draft (or we trade up).  McCown is the starter and the draftee is clearly in line for the throne.  So where would that leave Bridgewater?  Isn't he looking for a franchise that will give him a chance to play?  $10M to McCown and announcing he's the starter probably means that he really is that starter.  And we all know how much Todd Bowles loves McCown.

I predict the Bridgewater signing does not happen.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is the Bridgewater signing still going to happen in light of the McCown signing?  There's still a chance a top 4 QB falls to the Jets in the draft (or we trade up).  McCown is the starter and the draftee is clearly in line for the throne.  So where would that leave Bridgewater?  Isn't he looking for a franchise that will give him a chance to play?  $10M to McCown and announcing he's the starter probably means that he really is that starter.  And we all know how much Todd Bowles loves McCown.

Yeah I totally see the Bridgewater camp back tracking, and looking for another place to sign.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My gut tells me the Bridgewater signing is dead. McCown going into training camp as the starter and I am positive they are drafting a QB in the first round. I don't see why Bridgewater would want to sign here.

Yeah, according to ESPN, it's died down to "I'm told Teddy has a few choices, nothing imminent"

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

My gut tells me the Bridgewater signing is dead. McCown going into training campas the starter and I ams positive they are drafting a QB in the first round. I don't see why Bridgewater would want to sign here.

What if it is prohibitively expensive to trade up and what if the top 4 QBs are gone by the time we draft at #6?  

What if it is prohibitively expensive to trade up and what if the top 4 QBs are gone by the time we draft at #6?  

The problem is from Bridgewater's standpoint he has to decide relatively soon. Right now I have to believe the plan is to start Mccown and draft a QB. I have a feeling we will be in a position to drfat one of the tope 4 QBs.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

The problem is from Bridgewater's standpoint he has to decide relatively soon. Right now I have to believe the plan is to start Mccown and draft a QB. I have a feeling we will be in a position to drfat one of the tope 4 QBs.

That's why I don't think he's signing here.  He sees that McCown is the starter and there's a good likelihood the Jets will draft a QB in the 1st round.  So where would he get his reps in that situation?

Archived