Petty Cut

usanyj

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Bridgewater will either be cut because his knee is made of play-doh, or he will be traded off for peanuts. He never had a chance. Hack sticks most likely, unless he is just plain garbage. Then he gets cut.

it's possible they both get cut. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Luck Kid. You tried while you were here. Thats really all anyone can ask from these guys. Pay no attention to all the neg comments as anyone of us would kill to have the experience of being in the NFL. Hope you catch on somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I truly wonder how he would have fared if he went to an offensive team that was willing to change the offense to fit Petty’s abilities?

Your sentiments are solid, but I truly have trouble seeing an NFL team willing to revolve gameplans around Bryce Petty's abilities. He'd have to luck into the right situation and play his way in. No other route for him that I can see.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Good guy, very mediocre QB.  I wish him well.  He'll catch on as a #3 somewhere.

Mediocre is generous . He was easily one the worst I seen in game . Bout as impactful as Greg McElroy lol 

58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

How the hell did Hack make the cut and Petty didn’t. 

I have to imagine Hack is around mostly because they need a sacrificial lamb at QB for week 4 of the preseason.

Only way Hack actually sticks is if Bridgewater's health ends up being a major issue, or Bridgewater does well enough that they get an enticing trade offer for him.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have to imagine Hack is around mostly because they need a sacrificial lamb at QB for week 4 of the preseason.

Only way Hack actually sticks is if Bridgewater's health ends up being a major issue, or Bridgewater does well enough that they get an enticing trade offer for him.

I don't love this though.  Do you go into the season w/ McCown and two guys who've never thrown an NFL pass.  I suspect you're right about the 1st portion, though I'm not sure he makes it to week 4.  Could be earlier in TC.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

If the trade rumors were true.  Punches should be thrown in the direction of Big Mac's face.  Or at least one haymaker. 

Those trade rumors were as legitimate as the talk out of Baker's camp that the Pats were going to move up to #2 to take him. 

If the trade rumors were true.  Punches should be thrown in the direction of Big Mac's face.  Or at least one haymaker. 

Dude come on, no one was trading for Petty. Dude is gonna be out of the league on opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So, the trade talk was just talk, eh? :blink:

:lol:

Best of luck to him I suppose, as long as he's not in the AFC.

The trade talk was a bs transparent attempt to remind the league that Petty was still in it. Teams are clearly not concerned there will be a bidding war for Petty’s services. 

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't love this though.  Do you go into the season w/ McCown and two guys who've never thrown an NFL pass.  I suspect you're right about the 1st portion, though I'm not sure he makes it to week 4.  Could be earlier in TC.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were to be cut earlier, but I only imagine he'll be here to the end of camp simply because even if he ends up being the odd man out, I think there's a very good chance the team will want to sit all of McCown, Bridgewater, and Darnold for that last game.  Not to mention, I wouldn't even be surprised if Macc tried to move Hack over to the PS this year.

I agree that I wouldn't be in favor of keeping Hack over Bridgewater, but I think they would only go that route if the trade offer was pretty significant.  A late rounder I don't think would be enough to convince them.  Only other way it could happen is if Bridgewater's health is so bad they don't think he can play at all, but considering he was reactivated in the middle of last year, I'm less paranoid about that than others.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

it's possible they both get cut. 

We'll see about Bridgewater, at least we know the kid is talent d if he's healthy. Hack just isn't good enough for the NFL. That's already been proven.

10 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'm very surprised they cut him this soon, but it was probably the right move for all parties

I have to imagine their attempts to get offered something for him yielded absolutely nothing, so they didn't want to be wasting practice reps on a guy they already knew would be a goner.

I never met Petty but I was one of his biggest boosters.  I wanted him to succeed. 
I truly wonder how he would have fared if he went to an offensive team that was willing to change the offense to fit Petty’s abilities?
Anyway I personally wish him nothing but the best. 

What abilities? He clearly could not read a defense before or during a play. Any ideas of him trying to play street ball ala Russell Wilson go out the window for a guy made of glass. He’s a nice kid. Really nice. He’s not an NFL caliber QB.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

There are always other teams' cuts if they can trade Bridgewater but still want some experience on the bench. And if Darnold somehow wins the starting job, it probably matters less. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

The far more interesting question is when he gets cut.  Or if he does.

I could see Macc keeping 4 QB's right up thru camp. 

If Teddy isn't healthy or looking good, Hack could stick on (as a Macc pick) longer than that.

yep.  i can see them keeping hack for at least this season one way or another if only as insurance against bridgewater's knee.  as for the whole petty situation, sad to see him go but he clearly wasn't getting the job done.

Imagine what Christian Hackenberg looks like if he couldn't beat out Petty for playing time. 

Completely agree. However Bryce Petty is 4 years older than Hack and had a full year more of development time to prove how terrible he is. Hack is 23 years old. For perspective on that, Baker Mayfield is 2 months younger than Hack and was drafted this year. Hackenburg is going to get this preseason at least to prove that he can be a legitimate backup at least. Petty proved at 27 years old with 3 full years under his belt that he’s not good enough.

Archived