Bowles to get another head coaching gig next year?

Rhg1084

Stranger things have happened before.  I seem to remember a head coach who lost 6 or 7 of his last eight games, was properly fired, and then some idiotic owner of some pitiful team scooped him up in a nano second.  Oh yeah, that was Leon Hess, owner of the Jets.  The coach: Rich Kotite. Can't make this up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd say he gets another DC position but he's not a good defensive coach. How could another NFL team hire him with his won and loss record. You hire a guy as HC after a good season usually as a coordinator. He might get a college job as a HC.  He does have leadership skills and players respect him. 

You lost me on this one. His players quit on him in three out of his four seasons and there are no repercussions for players that give half assed effort.

They don't respect him, they walk all over him. 

1 hour ago, TMAC said:

Stranger things have happened before.  I seem to remember a head coach who lost 6 or 7 of his last eight games, was properly fired, and then some idiotic owner of some pitiful team scooped him up in a nano second.  Oh yeah, that was Leon Hess, owner of the Jets.  The coach: Rich Kotite. Can't make this up.

I thought it was REX going to Buffalo. 

5 hours ago, Lith said:

After 4 mostly disappointing seasons, its time for us to move on.  I don't hate the guy, just don't think he is a good coach.  If he goes elsewhere and is successful, more power to him -- especially if he is in the NFC. 

This.

Bowles will definitely get another look.   Mangini and Rex did.    The people running this league are not a smart as everyone makes them out to be.  This is the same league that still keeps consulting Charlie Casserly.   This is the same league that has kept Marvin Lewis as HC for 15 years despite no playoff wins and are now rumored to possibly fire him and replace him with Hue Jackson.  This is the same league that should hire 10 year old madden players for most teams to manage the clock for them.    This is the same league that keeps hiring Nathan peterman for QB.

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly what if he’s the best guy available on the market now that I’m thinking about it? If we don’t grab McCarthy then who the heck are we gonna get? One guy mentioned Dan Campbell before LOL. Maybe it’s not as crazy at is seems to just keep Bowles?

are you kidding me....he might be the best available guy on the market...have you seen him coach? The only way he is the best guy on the market is if its the supermarket....

Our last three firings have been hired as HC's and did very well. One we received draft compensation for (technically not a firing I guess). One gave us Sanches for Brett Ratliff and some other balogna. One beat us in our most recent chance at a playoff spot. 

Not too shabby. 

9 hours ago, Beaver said:

Bowles will definitely get another look.   Mangini and Rex did.    The people running this league are not a smart as everyone makes them out to be.  This is the same league that still keeps consulting Charlie Casserly.   This is the same league that has kept Marvin Lewis as HC for 15 years despite no playoff wins and are now rumored to possibly fire him and replace him with Hue Jackson.  This is the same league that should hire 10 year old madden players for most teams to manage the clock for them.    This is the same league that keeps hiring Nathan peterman for QB.

But as long as the billions in tv money keep flowing in that’s ALL they care about.  It’s more about entertainment to a lot of franchises than actually winning.  Some one on here calculated that the Jets appreciate in value in the neighborhood of $200,000 PER DAY, win or lose.

And just like any big corporation in this day and age there are quotas to fill.  That’s what people still don’t understand when they ask some of the questions they do.

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

So the spirit of the Rooney rule is to give opportunity to minority candidates and ensure they get at least the experience of interviewing the first time.  Bringing in a failed HC is definitely not the point of the Rooney rule.  If teams start trotting Todd in just to check that box, the NFL needs to rethink the policy.  

I'm waiting for the Rooney Rule equivalent, where teams are required to interview a female.  Maybe the "Condi Rice Rule".

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

E5E15EDB-38FF-43CA-A7F2-8E9E6AE13140.thumb.jpeg.273234018b4f8bba3c4260cc06e90aab.jpeg

I live out here and there had to be at least 40 people who ALL told me how “lucky” my team was for hiring this guy.  In retrospect I’m really shocked because there are lots of smart, knowledgeable fans in AZ....but this guy had them conned.  The D he coached was ALL All Pros, DC job given to him by his close friend, no other team offered his that step up after 20+ years as an assistant.

I really doubt this happens.  The Bidwells probably were forced by the league to take their kick in the gut this year with the terrible hire of Wilkes.  There are many black guys way way smarter than Bowles and Wilkes who could have done much better in their jobs.  Shame how these quick, forced hires happen because the league wants it, and I’m sure a guy like Bowles is politically connected in the league, and the result is a guy in a job that is way too much for him.

Nobody is hiring another failed Jets coach. If Ariens doesn't come back (his ONLY chance of being a DC again), this guys career is over. I wouldn't even hire him as a secondary coach if I watched the Jets play defense. I can't stand looking at him on the sideline, black Monday can't come fast enough for me. I've never seen players give such sh*tty effort with no consequences. There has been no accountability since he's here. 

With Gailey as his coordinator and Mac lucky with some pickups, Bowles was 10-6.  If he goes to a better organization that got him better players, did not let him pick, made him hire better staff and provided him with support, he would be better than he is now.  Great?  No, but better.  

That is why the Jets need a McCarthy.  They need an experienced coach to compensate for the organizational failures. 

14 hours ago, RobR said:

You lost me on this one. His players quit on him in three out of his four seasons and there are no repercussions for players that give half assed effort.

They don't respect him, they walk all over him. 

Look the Jets players haven't quit. They lost games but we've seen good efforts. Plus when interviewed they stick with Todd and I haven't heard about any dissension in the clubhouse. One thing about Todd that I think they like. We think he's boring and he is but they think he's professional. He never throws players under the bus or in public blames them on things. He always gives the generic answer like bad performance, poor coaching, etc. He's right about that, too. He's a former NFL player, had a good career and players respect that. He knows how things work on an NFL team behind the scenes and how they should work. He understands how players think.  If I'm the parent of a college kid I'd send my son to a college he coached at because he is high character guy and would be a good example and not just out for Ws. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

With Gailey as his coordinator and Mac lucky with some pickups, Bowles was 10-6.  If he goes to a better organization that got him better players, did not let him pick, made him hire better staff and provided him with support, he would be better than he is now.  Great?  No, but better.  

That is why the Jets need a McCarthy.  They need an experienced coach to compensate for the organizational failures. 

What? That 10-6 record should have at least 11-5 & the playoffs! The Jets had one of these easiest schedules ever that year! He should have been fired after the Buffalo fiasco. We had a horrible loss to the Eagles to that year. Got lucky in a comeback vs the crappy Giants & the Gmens kicker missing a last second kick to get us into overtime. Most overated 10-6 I've ever seen with the Jets.

I wish Bowles well he isn't a bad guy or a terrible HC. 

He just couldn't turn around the entire Jets organization.  He made poor in game decisions and he had poor assistants. 

Bowles is not a guy to take over an organization by himself!

So I say Good Luck to him going forward....

Archived