Jets kicker issues

kevinc855

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

So we let the pro bowler go for a guy we released and then got cut by another team? Someone want to explain this one to me??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/jets-bring-back-kicker-chandler-catanzaro/amp/

We cut an overpriced kicker and replaced him with someone similar. Jason Meyers was nothing special before the Jets and will be nothing special after.

We cut an overpriced kicker and replaced him with someone similar. Jason Meyers was nothing special before the Jets and will be nothing special after.

Correct. I think we all would have been happy to have him back but he is now the highest paid kicker in the league I believe. its not smart to pay him like that after the spotty career he’s had. He may turn out to be worth it. He may pull a $15 million double doink!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Teams don't mind losing high priced kickers until they have a year when the kicker costs them 2 or 3 games, then it changes in a hurry.  Jets have had several years in a row of good fg kickers.  Don;t like to lose myers but he could just as easily tank next year.

We did not release Chandler Catanzaro.  We were interested in bringing him back and he was signed away by Tampa, much in the same way that we lost Myers to Seattle.  Catanzaro was signed for a 3.75 million dollar free agent contract, which we deemed as too rich.  Turns out we were right.  After making only 7 of 11 field goals, they cut him. He finished the season with the Panthers where he kicked well.

Myers, off his Pro Bowl season will be paid 3.85 million with 5.5 million fully guaranteed.  The contract is for four years.  It makes him the 8th highest paid kicker in the league.  Being that he had never played to this level before, and the Seahawks "poisoned" the contract with guaranteed money, the Jets let him walk.

The Jets have now re-signed Catanzaro, who kicked well for us in 2017.  The terms have not been released.  I'm sure it's for one year and not near 3million dollars.  Business.

I would have liked to have some continuity at kicker for once but I would never have competed with that Seattle offer so it's a moot point. Maybe sign Catanzaro to a two year deal (no that last year isn't guaranteed) so if he's good we can just keep him instead of looking through the toybox again?

A lot of kickers seem to have a good year then a bad year then another good year. Mac has this one right. Catanzaro is due for his good year - then he will want a raise and we will dump him and resign Myers whom Seattle will cut because he will have a sh*tty year and costs them too much money. The pattern is set.

Has anyone noticed all of our kickers have been good lately?  I think playing without any pressure to win helps a kicker, mentally they don't have to worry about a kick preventing the team from going to the playoffs.  I would have liked him back but I also would have liked folk back a few years ago then Catanzaro back last year.  We'll be fine, the bigger loss to me was Roberts but hopefully Cannon is ready to return kicks

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Has anyone noticed all of our kickers have been good lately?  I think playing without any pressure to win helps a kicker, mentally they don't have to worry about a kick preventing the team from going to the playoffs.  I would have liked him back but I also would have liked folk back a few years ago then Catanzaro back last year.  We'll be fine, the bigger loss to me was Roberts but hopefully Cannon is ready to return kicks

i have a lot more faith in the coaching staff to create production with the personnel they end up with, whoever that may be ... and it's been a long time since I said that about coaching and the Jets! ;-) 

A good return man helps, but a lot of the big returns come about through blocking and 10 other guys doing their jobs, as well as the return man. Roberts' return average the two years prior to joining us was 22.6, last year it was 29.4. Was that down to him, or the rest of the unit?

http://www.nfl.com/player/andreroberts/497320/careerstats

On 3/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, kevinc855 said:

So we let the pro bowler go for a guy we released and then got cut by another team? Someone want to explain this one to me??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/jets-bring-back-kicker-chandler-catanzaro/amp/

Sure, the guy we let walk was a reclamation project, who's to say you can't find another one?

On 3/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, Beerfish said:

Teams don't mind losing high priced kickers until they have a year when the kicker costs them 2 or 3 games, then it changes in a hurry.  Jets have had several years in a row of good fg kickers.  Don;t like to lose myers but he could just as easily tank next year.

I don't think you can put it on the kicker for losing a game unless he misses multiple FG's he should make. That doesn't  happen that often. Mostly people blame them for not making the game winner which the team put him in a position to make. That's  the key, tje team put him there. Had they played better they probably don't  need him to win it. 

This time last year, I was saying the same thing as the original poster, but with the names reversed.  Myers had a great season, but if you look at his career numbers, it was kind of unexpected.  I am cool with bringing Catanzaro back.  He was real solid for us.  Maybe Myers has turned a corner in his career.  He certainly has a great leg, but I question paying him that kind of salary based on his entire career, to date.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Meyers made the pro bowl, but after the announcement came out, he missed 2 extra points in a winnable game against the Texans and a makeable FG at the start of the OT loss to Green Bay.

Myers overall had a good season.  That said he’s not a top kicker and never was

The colts game got him the pro bowl

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just 8 months ago people were whining about letting Catanzaro walk and being stuck with Santos/Myers/Bertolet.

Yup - people were mad we let Catanzaro go last year, just like they were mad when Cat replaced Folk (and they were mad about signing Folk originally, coming off a bad year with the Cowboys). Right through preseason (and into the early season), everyone was talking about ditching Myers and replacing him with Dan Bailey, Kai Forbath or Matt McCrane.

I would have liked Myers back, but not at nearly $4m a year. Recent history tells us that the Jets will do fine at kicker, with Cat or with someone else who is picked up before the season starts.

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Meyers made the pro bowl, but after the announcement came out, he missed 2 extra points in a winnable game against the Texans and a makeable FG at the start of the OT loss to Green Bay.

Yeah, that's a concept that people are quick to forget, but he was not doing nearly as well at the end of the season as he had been at the start.  Hardly inspiring stuff to be giving out a big contract after that.

Catanzato was just another Myers for the Jets before Myers was, so the two of them are pretty much a wash.  Besides, I have little doubt they'll be grabbing an undrafted rookie to compete as well, and it would be in everyone's best interests if whoever that kid is could win the job.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, kevinc855 said:

Myers has been such a consistent kicker he was cut by the Jags in 2017. 

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2017-10-17/jaguars-release-struggling-kicker-jason-myers

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He had a pretty good game against the Titans too. 

That was our road trip game last year. When he came out for his first FG, my friends and I were telling the Titan fans around us that he is our MVP. At first they looked at us like we were crazy. By the end of the game, when he came out for like the 5th attempt, they were all joining us chanting "MVP." It was pretty funny, and one of the better moments in an otherwise miserable season. On another note, Nashville is the best.

I love me some great special teams, I really do... But with the makeup of this team and this roster I'd much rather throw that cash at a different position at this point... Maybe down the road the Jets can afford to dish out big bucks for a top 3 kicker in the league or something, but right now they need to focus all the money they can on other areas of the team. 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

hey, what do the jets need a kicker for more than extra points this season?  all kidding aside, i think you've made a good point although it's not like catanzaro was playing for much at tampa.  imo the kicker also needs to be able to force run backs instead of always drilling into the end zone.

its simple

"sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Jason Myers, K, Seattle Seahawks

The deal: Four years, $15-16 million
Grade: D+

Myers spent two-plus years as the Jaguars' kicker between 2015 and 2017 and hit on 81.0 percent of his field goals. The Seahawks had Myers in camp last summer and cut him in favor of Sebastian Janikowski, who was inconsistent in his first season outside of Oakland. Myers caught on with the Jets and produced a career season, hitting 33 of his 36 field goal tries.

The chances are far greater that Myers's true field goal rate is closer to his career average of 84.3 percent than his 2018 rate of 91.7 percent, and if the former is accurate, then Myers isn't worth this sort of commitment.

Archived