What is your local NFL team?

82nd Airborne

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about 30 miles southeast of Burlington, VT.

A mix up here of old time Giant and Cheats fans.  In the YA Tittle/Robustelli (sp?) days, the Giants actually held their training camps at St. Michaels college just outside Burlington - so between pre-AFL/Cheats TV exposure, they were the primary team in NE.

The bandwagon Cheats fans are insufferable - VERY few of them date themselves before 2001. But they'd want you to believe they've always been loyal. My boil blistered touchas they have.

I'm somewhat of a rarity because I don't hate the Giants - they are my B team, primarily because I lived in the DC area during the mid eighties through 2011 and had to suffer the equally noxious Foreskin fans during the "Hogs" era: I needed Lawrence Taylor and CO. to rip their hearts out. Their sails have been trimmed over the last two decades, as they might have the worst franchise owner in professional sports short of Dolan - so I cut back on my razzing of my DC friends as time has worn on. I almost, but not quite, feel sorry for them.

Oddly enough, the CEO of my present employer, a Brit, is a Jet fan. I hope it ensures my employment prospects ... ?

Closest one to me is the Broncos who are about a 6 hour drive away. Ironically I see more Raiders and especially Cowboys fans out here. The Cowboys are considered my local team when it comes to televising games even though there are 5 teams that are closer proximity wise. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Honest Q: does is suck there? Or are we all idiots for staying in the frigid northeast. Would you move there again knowing what you know now?

I love it here and am hopefully never leaving. The traffic sucks, cost of living is ungodly, and some of the people here are just unbearable, but living in California is second to none in terms of quality of life. So much to do. I live to be on the beach and am an avid outdoorsman, so being in driving distance of places like Sequoia, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, and the entire Eastern Sierras is heaven for me. If I leave early enough I can be up climbing in the San Gabriels in less than 90 minutes.  I would definitely prefer to live a little more south in the OC or San Diego, but then it would increase the drive-time for getting up to the mountains. Plus LA really does have some wonderful parts, (Malibu & Topanga, South Bay, even parts of downtown and Hollywood...etc...).

We could live elsewhere and have a nice big house with a lawn, but I'd rather have the lifestyle that I have now and a much smaller place for both myself and my family. Really depends on the person I guess. If a large house is important to someone, LA probably isn't the place to go. It's a big adjustment to make if you're from the Northeast, but once you get used to it it's hard to imagine ever living anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

My army days took me to falcons, redskins, Titans and 49ers territory. Always proudly wore my jets gear. Back on the east coast now but technically in eagles territory now. 

A little piece of north jersey never leaves us 

You mean when you get up in the morning and start coughing up some small lung pieces? I grew up in northern Manhattan\Inwood Heights, and I swear I'm still hacking out the crud from the old Dykeman Street Con Ed coal fired plant that was 10 blocks away ... 

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

You mean when you get up in the morning and start coughing up some small lung pieces? I grew up in northern Manhattan\Inwood Heights, and I swear I'm still hacking out the crud from the old Dykeman Street Con Ed coal fired plant that was 10 blocks away ... 

There’s a reason I left the metropolitan area lol

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I love it here and am hopefully never leaving. The traffic sucks, cost of living is ungodly, and some of the people here are just unbearable, but living in California is second to none in terms of quality of life. So much to do. I live to be on the beach and am an avid outdoorsman, so being in driving distance of places like Sequoia, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, and the entire Eastern Sierras is heaven for me. If I leave early enough I can be up climbing in the San Gabriels in less than 90 minutes.  I would definitely prefer to live a little more south in the OC or San Diego, but then it would increase the drive-time for getting up to the mountains. Plus LA really does have some wonderful parts, (Malibu & Topanga, South Bay, even parts of downtown and Hollywood...etc...).

We could live elsewhere and have a nice big house with a lawn, but I'd rather have the lifestyle that I have now and a much smaller place for both myself and my family. Really depends on the person I guess. If a large house is important to someone, LA probably isn't the place to go. It's a big adjustment to make if you're from the Northeast, but once you get used to it it's hard to imagine ever living anywhere else.

Ugh ****, that’s exactly the truthful answer I feared.  

Apologies for the stream of consciousness diary reply. But you know that small window after college, before a real job/family, no roots.  I was always to supposed to be on that coast but at that time certain people got sick, others left, so made the best of being here.  Met a girl.  Good job, great family but now my mother in law lives 7 minutes from me so we’re not going anywhere....that is, until this thread.

Ill text my wife when the plane lands, does your couch pull out? 

None.

The nearest NFL team would be one of the teams that play in London.

So i´ll have to go with soccer teams, the local ones are FC. Barcelona and RCD Espanyol, but i dont like any of them.

I always root for Celta de Vigo, the team that occupies my heart ....... shared with the Jets, of course.

Grew up in Northport L.I. and had a ball. Nothing like playing in the boatyard as a kid. Used to take the train to Woodside then next train to Shea. Good times!  Now Daytona Beach - Deland Area. The Big Cat from here and Jacob DeGrom lives here. Mike Gillislee, Tre Thomas Vince Carter. 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I live In Rhome Texas just north of Fort Worth so its the freaking Cowboys

Bunch of fair weather fans down here :) One thing I / We can never be accused of 

Cowboys as well.

Grew up in Morris County, so Jets/Giants. 

Now live by the beach in Alabama. Basically halfway between Mobile and Pensacola. It's a lot of Saints and some Falcons fans for people from here. During snowbird season (football season) there's a TON of NFC North fans. Some Titans and Chiefs too. Tourist community, it's how it is.

I'm a restaurant GM and Packer fans in big groups are unbearable, incredibly rude, and wouldn't last 5 minutes in any bar back when I worked in NY. But here we have to be nice. They suck. 

3 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Oh Lord, the freak show. 

I’m all the way on Washington by the pier so we’re on the edge and don’t have to catch it all, but we do get some of the overflow, especially during tourist season. I think we’re heading more towards El Seg/South Bay next year. The freak show I actually don’t mind, it’s the tourists and scooters that I can’t stand anymore. People visit here and really trash the place. 

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’m all the way on Washington by the pier so we’re on the edge and don’t have to catch it all, but we do get some of the overflow, especially during tourist season. I think we’re heading more towards El Seg/South Bay next year. The freak show I actually don’t mind, it’s the tourists and scooters that I can’t stand anymore. People visit here and really trash the place. 

I have to admit, I always take OOS and guests from out of the country to Venice Beach to sightsee...always fun to watch their reactions.  As I mentioned, I grew up in a town that is surrounded by agriculture, Future Farmers Of America was THE club in school, and 15 minutes from the beach, the big city of Ventura, and half hour to Santa Barbara.  

Very different culture as you drive further North, but I love L.A. and the close proximity to mountains and lakes we can enjoy for a day and drive back home in the evening. 

I’m a Native Californian, third generation.  You people can all go home now.  ??

Pats.

And believe it or not, far from getting beat up while wearing Jet gear, Pat fans have actually bought me beers. OK, the last time that happened was when the Jets beat the Pats in the divisional round. It was like the Pat fans were so embarrassed by their team's performance, they felt they had to pay up to a Jet fan who I guess they thought was visiting from the NYC area. Oh well, their loss.

13 minutes ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Pats.

And believe it or not, far from getting beat up while wearing Jet gear, Pat fans have actually bought me beers. OK, the last time that happened was when the Jets beat the Pats in the divisional round. It was like the Pat fans were so embarrassed by their team's performance, they felt they had to pay up to a Jet fan who I guess they thought was visiting from the NYC area. Oh well, their loss.

You're much more likely to get beat up by a giant fan than a Pat fan. They're like Italians at a Rocky movie. 

I've never lived anywhere that had just one team. I wonder what that would be like. Probably turn you into some kind of cult follower. 

I'm 30 minutes west of London (UK). So by geographical distance it'd be the Patsies; but Jaguars could count as my "home" team due to their relationship with London.

Oddly I've been to seen the Patsies play in NE more than I've seen the Jags in London. :D 

Archived