Your vote for the new GM!

Who do you want for the Jets next GM?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the Jets next GM?

• Adam Gase (remove the Interim title)
    • Peyton Manning
    • Joe Douglas
    • Daniel Jeremiah
    • Mike Tannebaum
    • Eric Mangini
    • T0M (don't call me Tom) Shane
    • Charlie Casserly
    • Mike Maccagnan
    • Other (write in vote)

Douglas, he has a wealth of experience with 2 good organizations. His time is now, unless he is next in line in Philly. He could be scared off by our owner, and the history of failure. Then again if the money is right he might want the challenge.I'm hoping for the latter.

• Upvote 1

My vote is Douglas.

But this would be very bad. Very very very bad..... 

• Adam Gase (remove the Interim title)   0

I mean......  how about we give the lunatic some time to work with Sam and the offense?  I thought that's why he was brought here in the first place.  If he remains "GM" he'll have much less time than he should to do his J-O-B.    Let someone else be GM.  Make it someone who doesn't care if he is a bit of Gase's puppet.  Just let someone else take the time needed so that Gse and his staff can finally give us the semblance of a professional offense.  For that, Gase needs to be on the practice field. 

Geezuz.

• Sympathy 1

I sort of like the Cowboys guy, Will McClay - played college football and was a successful Arena League coach before going into personnel

Sounds like he has some sense in the few YouTube videos available on him

But, I liked Maccagnan when he was hired, so I'll hang up and listen

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

99.99% of us on here including myself have no idea who would make for a good GM. That's mostly because we have little to no information on who they are and how they would build a team. The only thing we have to go on is what their experience has been and most of them haven't been GM, and what other people are saying about them.

I want a guy who understands that every draft pick is a lottery ticket, understands positional value, has strong connections in the scouting community, has world class negotiation skills and can work with his head coach to build the type of roster he wants. Which of those guys is that? No clue. Can I sit in on the interviews and listen, maybe ask some questions before I vote?

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

99.99% of us on here including myself have no idea who would make for a good GM. That's mostly because we have little to no information on who they are and how they would build a team. The only thing we have to go on is what their experience has been and none of them have been GM, and what other people are saying about them.

I want a guy who understands that every draft pick is a lottery ticket, understands positional value, has strong connections in the scouting community, has world class negotiation skills and can work with his head coach to build the type of roster he wants. Which of those guys is that? No clue. Can I sit in on the interviews and listen, maybe ask some questions before I vote?

It's just speculation I think most posters get that, btw say hello to the Misses.

The New York Jets ended their 15-day search for a general manager Tuesday, hiring Houston Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan -- a protégé of Jets consultant Charley Casserly.

Maccagnan, 47, will be the Jets' third GM in the past four years, replacing John Idzik, who was fired after only two seasons.Maccagnan represents the start of a new era for the Jets, who cleaned house after a 4-12 season.

"We interviewed a number of impressive, qualified candidates, but Mike Maccagnan clearly stood out," Jets owner Woody Johnson said. "Mike's attention to detail, strong personnel background and collaborative approach to evaluating players made it clear that he is the right choice to be the next general manager of the New York Jets."

Maccagnan was the only candidate invited back for a second interview, and he spent the past three days huddling with team officials at the Jets' facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. Unlike Idzik, who was forced to keep Rex Ryan in 2013, Maccagnan was set to have input into the selection of the next head coach, with the final call belonging to Johnson.

The Jets moved later Tuesday to replace one defensive guru with another, tapping former Arizona Cardinals coordinator Todd Bowles as Ryan's successor.

In hiring Maccagnan, the Jets have changed their power structure. He and Bowles will report directly to Johnson, who envisions the GM and coach as equal partners. Previously, the coach reported to the GM. Maccagnan will have control over the 53-man roster and final say on the draft; the coach will decide the weekly lineups. The lines were blurred with Ryan and Idzik, especially with quarterback decisions.

Clearly, Maccagnan's ties to Casserly played a huge role. Casserly and Ron Wolf, both former longtime GMs, were hired at the end of the season as consultants to advise Johnson throughout the concurrent searches for a GM and coach.

Casserly described Maccagnan as "an outstanding football man, one who is highly organized, and an excellent evaluator. He is very thorough in his preparation and will do a terrific job for the Jets."

Because of his connection to Maccagnan, Casserly took a background role during the first interview, allowing Wolf to lead the session.

Maccagnan impressed them with his cerebral, organized approach and his plan for improving the team, sources said. After the season, they reached out immediately to Maccagnan, who got his start in the NFL from Casserly, the former Washington Redskins and Texans GM.

Maccagnan was a Redskins' scout from 1995 to 2000, and he became one of Casserly's first hires with the Texans.

Maccagan is regarded in league circles as a grinder, a quiet and unassuming background player with solid evaluation skills. Some wonder if he'll be able to handle the glare of the New York spotlight.

He joined the Texans at their inception in 2000, rising to his most recent position in 2011. He was part of an organization that won two division titles (2011-2012). The Texans drafted well from 2009 to 2011, the year they picked defensive star J.J. Watt, but their last three drafts have produced no Pro Bowl players and only a handful of starters.

The Jets interviewed at least six other candidates for the job, all of whom are front-office executives -- Rod Graves (Jets), Chris Grier (Miami Dolphins), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks), Bill Kuharich (Cleveland Browns), Rick Mueller (Philadelphia Eagles) and Jon Robinson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers). They were spurned by four others -- Chris Ballard (Kansas City Chiefs), Eric DeCosta (Baltimore Ravens), George Paton (Minnesota Vikings) and Ryan Pace (New Orleans Saints), who was hired by the Chicago Bears.

The Jets have gone four straight years without making the playoffs, failing to post a winning record in any of those seasons. Mike Tannenbaum was fired after a 6-10 mark in 2012, replaced by Idzik, who went 12-20.

Unlike Idzik, who walked into a bad salary-cap situation, Maccagnan will have the flexibility to make immediate improvements. The Jets have more than $40 million in salary-cap space and they own the sixth pick in the draft.

On the downside, the team has a big question at quarterback and only one Pro Bowl player on the roster -- center Nick Mangold.

Maccagnan will have plenty of big decisions in the coming months.

From a personnel standpoint, he has to evaluate inconsistent quarterback Geno Smith, decide whether wide receiver Percy Harvin is worth his $10.5 million salary for 2015 and determine how much to spend on free-agent linebacker David Harris.

"[The Jets have] a solid foundation of players." Maccagnan said. "As with all teams, there are some areas we need to address, but we're going to hire the right head coach, evaluate our personnel and work together to build a football operation to get the New York Jets back on the winning track."

One of the knocks on Macc is that he can’t draft outside the first round. This analysis by GGN proves that to be the case. However, notice that Philly over this time has the same pattern? Joe Douglas has been charge of the Philly draft over the last few years. Maybe he’ll be better than Macc. Maybe not.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/5/17/18629056/new-york-jets-how-bad-was-mike-maccagnans-draft-performance-stats-on-maccagnan-drafts-2015-2018

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

One of the knocks on Macc is that he can’t draft outside the first round. This analysis by GGN proves that to be the case. However, notice that Philly over this time has the same pattern? Joe Douglas has been charge of the Philly draft over the last few years. Maybe he’ll be better than Macc. Maybe not.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/5/17/18629056/new-york-jets-how-bad-was-mike-maccagnans-draft-performance-stats-on-maccagnan-drafts-2015-2018

Joe has found a few really nice late round gems in his time with the eagles and had lots of input In the ravens draft later on in his tenure there.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Joe has found a few really nice late round gems in his time with the eagles and had lots of input In the ravens draft later on in his tenure there.

He seemingly has a good reputation around the league. I just think we need to tailor back our expectation based on those numbers. That analyst suggest the Eagles have been slightly better than the Jets in drafting. Jets slightly better in the first round. Eagles slightly better in the rounds outside of the 1st. Even just looking at the Eagles drafts over the last few years, they’ve really only hit big on Wentz. 

Not Gase. Too busy coaching a team.

Not Peyton. That just seems like a circus waiting to happen.

Joe Douglas

Dan Jeremiah

Louis Riddick

Mark Dominick

Champ Kelly

Any of the above would be a huge upgrade over the past 18 years of Jets GMs.

• Upvote 1

I chose JD because I get the impression that he and Gase, are on the same page, as to how to build a roster for success. Especially around a FQB.  Giving Darnold the necessary tools to consistently lead the Jets into the playoffs.  Eventually landing the Jets into the Supe...and hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.  

No more shotgun marriages.  Three such unions in a row should get through to the Johnson's incredibly thick skulls, that it's a recipe for failure.   

• Sympathy 1

It's going to be Douglas and I'm guessing he's already in the fold contractually. Jets are just waiting to announce it once he finalizes some of the scouts he will be taking with him and those that he is letting go.

• Sympathy 1

If Gase in charge of personnel decisions maybe don’t hire a GM just promote someone he can work with from within to be his rubber stamp and without the title.  Do not give Gase the idea this is a permanent thing. I wouldn’t even give him the 2020 draft unless he proves in 2019 that the franchise is going in the right direction. If the Jets are chaotic and an s show I hire a new GM in Jan and fire him. If he does well hire his GM of choice. 

14 hours ago, Joejet said:

I originally voted for Douglas but I just read that Casserly is against the hiring of Manning so I have to change my pick to Manning.

Great logic. Charlie should just STFU. He showed what kind of an a$$clown he was during the draft period.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, RobR said:

It's going to be Douglas and I'm guessing he's already in the fold contractually. Jets are just waiting to announce it once he finalizes some of the scouts he will be taking with him and those that he is letting go.

One can only hope this is happening.

18 hours ago, GreenFish said:

no no no, if god themself had ordained the perfect GM be sculpted out of marble and testosterone that GM would be Joe Douglass.