Ian Rappaport don't discount Scott Fitterer he was incredibly impressive in the interview.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I honestly don’t want anyone from the Seahawks. Gives me ******* nightmares. 

+ that entire team neglected the offensive line for the Seahawks. Just sign Joe Douglas  

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

Yeah I don't want another GM that can't draft OL.  Seahawks have been awful at it.

Who are all the OL that Douglas drafted?

6 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

At the end of the day if Chris Johnson picks Scott Fitterer than I’m betting Scott Fitterer is the wrong choice. 

At the end of the day whoever is picked you're betting hes the wrong choice then.

We know, you bet every move is wrong.  Always.

3 hours ago, Green Truth said:

If you are not going to take the job, why interview in the first place?  Should have just pulled a Paton and declined.  Whoever Marc Dominic is.  That's a pretty silly thing to say.

You have never interviewed for a job that you may or may not take?  Its called testing the waters.  People do it all the time.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Truth said:

If you are not going to take the job, why interview in the first place?  Should have just pulled a Paton and declined.  Whoever Marc Dominic is.  That's a pretty silly thing to say.

I always agree to interviews when contacted by head hunters. Why not? Worst case, you keep your interview skills sharp. Best case, you're pleasantly surprised.

But I agree with you, in the small world of the NFL, rejecting promotions can put you on the blacklist for a few years. But then again... so can rejecting interviews.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I always agree to interviews when contacted by head hunters. Why not? Worst case, you keep your interview skills sharp. Best case, you're pleasantly surprised.

But I agree with you, in the small world of the NFL, rejecting promotions can put you on the blacklist for a few years. But then again... so can rejecting interviews.

Rejecting the Jets seems encouraged league wide fwiw. Part of the reason Belichick was so pissed at Mangini.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who are all the OL that Douglas drafted?

Well they really don’t need much. Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league. If Russell Wilson was not mobile, he’d be out the league. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Well they really don’t need much. Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league. If Russell Wilson was not mobile, he’d be out the league. 

Not the point.  The point is those OL were drafted before Douglas.  So the question remains, who has he drafted at OL? 

Listen the real point it means nothing that Douglas drafted no one on the OL just the same as it means nothing that the OL in Seattle hasnt been good and then trying to use that against an assistant on the staff.  Whoever is hired shouldnt be hire or eliminated because of their teams OL

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not the point.  The point is those OL were drafted before Douglas.  So the question remains, who has he drafted at OL? 

Listen the real point it means nothing that Douglas drafted no one on the OL just the same as it means nothing that the OL in Seattle hasnt been good and then trying to use that against an assistant on the staff.  Whoever is hired shouldnt be hire or eliminated because of their teams OL

True but Douglas played OL so not a huge stretch to think he values the position

An All-Atlantic 10 selection, Douglas started 45 consecutive games at tackle for the University of Richmond. Following his collegiate playing career, he transitioned into a volunteer assistant coach with the Spiders’ football team in 1999.

As an offensive lineman at Lee-Davis High School (Mechanicsville,VA), Douglas was recognized as a two-time all-state honoree.

9 hours ago, Butterfield said:

You have never interviewed for a job that you may or may not take?  Its called testing the waters.  People do it all the time.

Right. I literally may do it this week.  I have very little intention of taking the Director job I was offered to interview for last night. But I may interview just to test the waters and see what the offer really is. It happens all of the time. 

I would think it's good for his resume too. The more places that seriously consider a guy for their GM spot, the better for the ultimate goal of landing one.  I'm still hoping it's Douglas though and that it wasn't just a tester interview for him. 

ets GM search: Has Philadelphia Eagles’ Joe Douglas lost vice grip on job?

Today 9:41 AM
Jets Le'Veon Bell minicamp highlights
Comment

For three weeks, the job has been Joe Douglas’ to lose.

The Philadelphia Eagles’ vice president of player personnel has been the odds-on favorite to take over as the Jets’ new general manager since the search began. And, for the most part, he remains the frontrunner.

But after the Jets’ first round of interviews, it looks like Douglas may now have some serious competition for the job in Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer.

false

“I know everyone assumes it’s going to be Joe Douglas’ job and it may be, but from what I am told, Fitterer was incredibly impressive (in his interview),” NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported. "They like his body of work, they like him as a guy, which everyone around the league seems to. He also is expected to be in the mix at the end likely with Joe Douglas for the Jets.”

Rapoport isn’t the only one getting the sense that Fitterer has a real chance, either. Mike Garafolo, also of NFL Network, says that there has been “some buzz” around Fitterer of late, too.

Fitterer was the first of four candidates the Jets interviewed; he took his turn last Friday. Douglas had his chance to meet with Jets acting owner Christopher Johnson, head coach Adam Gase and the rest of the team’s brass on Sunday. The Saints’ Terry Fontenot interviewed on Saturday, while the Bears’ Champ Kelly concluded the interview slate on Monday.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

it should be noted the Seahawks line has been good if not great ever since the Duane Brown trade. Tom Cable getting fired also helped. 

they did draft alot of mid round starters like Justin Britt and Ethan Pocic but those are being moved out in favor of older vets like Iupati and DJ Fluker... but they also developed Jordan Simmons, George Fant and other interesting names 

the profile for Seattle offensive line is power running, large dudes, coming at the DL "in a phone booth" Russell wilson being mobile is an aspect because they sacrifice pass blocking on the OL (except for Duane Brown) mostly in favor of running game push 

there's been talk about the zone scheme etc but Gase does favor larger linemen like KO and Tom Compton 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't know Douglas.  I don't know Fitterer.

I continue to feel like this hire will be one I simply cannot evaluate/judge till after whomever is hired starts making moves for us.

I think at this point the only thing we can do is look at what we have. Douglas comes from 16 years under the Ozzie Newsome Ravens, one year with the bears and 3 with the Eagles.  Fitterer has 18 years or so with the Seahawks.  I would say that Ozzie was just about the finest GM in the game throughout his career and was able to build perennial winners with two Super Bowl wins. All of which Douglas was there for.  Then he moved on to a short stint with the Bears and was a part of the Super Bowl winning team for the Eagles. That's some really solid background if for nothing else than being present to watch how the superbowl winning teams were built. Good stock as they say. 

The Seahawks were able to build the legion of boom with real success in the later rounds. That's one of the best defenses in recent memory and got Dan Quinn his HC gig. They have had above 9 wins every year since 2010 I believe which is also a testament to their team building not to exclude the fact that they have one of the best FQBs in the game.  They made it to two super bowls winning one. I'd say that's really good stock as well as long as Fitterer wasn't the one who called that friggin pass play on the goal line in the Super Bowl when Beast Mode was sitting there with foam in his mouth waiting to smash through the defeated Pats DL.  :) 

I guess it would come down to which team you respected more. The Seahawks or the Ravens and Eagles.  The Gase relationship is a trump card for me. that's obviously important due to the fact that Gase is sort of a wildcard. I don't think he's everyone's cup of tea. Having the ability to consistently work through whatever crazy spells he may have is going to be paramount. That's why I lead toward team Douglas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Being a Jets fan needs to come with a health warning label: will definitely cause agita, may cause anxiety, loose stool, Constipation, insomnia, depression. You get the idea.

When you buy a jersey they offer you the choice of tums or pepto bismol... if you also buy a hat they throw in both.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I wouldn’t say they should be hired strictly based off whether or not they drafted and built an offensive line but I think that should be a huge bonus. It’s a QB driven league, we have finally found our franchise QB, he’s 22 years old, and we must protect him. I believe games are won in the trenches  

So I have to disagree. 

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I wouldn’t say they should be hired strictly based off whether or not they drafted and built an offensive line but I think that should be a huge bonus. It’s a QB driven league, we have finally found our franchise QB, he’s 22 years old, and we must protect him. I believe games are won in the trenches  

So I have to disagree. 

Problem is you base it on a mistake if your point is the Eagles OL is better than what the Seahawks ol has been over the years or by assuming that either guy is to credit or blame for it. 

I was going to say this before the interviews ever took place(yeah likely story I know) but it actually should viewed as a good thing if someone was so impressive they leap frogged Douglas.

At the surface level, Douglas and Fitterer have similar resumes.  Similar backgrounds and come from winning organizations.

I remember a guy by the name of Tom Gamble that was a part of the 49ers rise awhile back.  He was viewed as a sure fire GM.  Got multiple interviews(I think even one with Jets?) and it just never materialized.  It comes out later that he was just a horrible interview and displayed a personality that teams didn't think could lead a franchise.

I saw the opposite happen with the Dodgers.  A few years back Gabe Kapler had basically the Dodgers manager job wrapped up.  They then interviewed Dave Roberts and he blew away everyone involved in the process and was hired.  He's now one of the best managers in baseball.

What we have access to fans isn't the entire story. If it's not Douglas, there will be stories of how they botched it or how Fitterer blew them away and stole it from Douglas.  Time will ultimately tell which will be true(if it transpires that way).

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Scotty Fitt! If the glove doesn't fit you must acquit! I don't want the Jets hiring this piece of Sh*T! Im just kidding about calling him a piece of SH*T but too many nicknames and rhymes go with this guys name to hire him. You guys will have a field day when he makes a bad move. Still a NO on Fitt!

Ok Nixhead the Dixhead

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Then why would Douglas even bother to interview.  To practice interviewing? 

Because people who say that Douglas won't take the job have no clue of what they are talking about. I don't believe the Jets have chosen a candidate yet and frankly they shouldn't rush, the important thing is to get it right.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Then why would Douglas even bother to interview.  To practice interviewing? 

I’d say, like usual with these things, salary is the hang up. Gase is involved. We don’t know Gase’s per year base. With this siloed structure it creates issues if one guy is paid more than the other because they’d be defacto higher in the pecking order. It’s going to take more than the GM minimum to pry Douglas away, which is probably more than what Gase is currently making if I had to guess. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I guess it would come down to which team you respected more. The Seahawks or the Ravens and Eagles.  The Gase relationship is a trump card for me. that's obviously important due to the fact that Gase is sort of a wildcard. I don't think he's everyone's cup of tea. Having the ability to consistently work through whatever crazy spells he may have is going to be paramount. That's why I lead toward team Douglas. 

On paper, it would seem that Douglas has the better resume. Being an assistant on two different Super Bowl winning franchises is better than working in just one Super Bowl winning organization your entire career, IMHO. Seeing two different ways to achieve the ultimate goal is invaluable. And yes, the Gase factor looms large. Gase has to be 100% on board with the next GM. 

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What we have access to fans isn't the entire story. If it's not Douglas, there will be stories of how they botched it or how Fitterer blew them away and stole it from Douglas.  Time will ultimately tell which will be true(if it transpires that way).

Good point, and I agree. If they all loved Douglas from the start but then Fitterer came in and wowed everyone (including Gase!), then by all means make him the hire and let the reporters report and the fans fan. In the end, it has to be the best man who can work with Gase and Gase can work with. If Johnson is in love with Fitterer, but Gase is still stuck on Douglas, though, then Douglas should be the hire. 

IMHO, they interviewed four smart dudes with solid resumes, and the only way they can screw it up is by hiring the guy Gase doesn't like. That's not gonna work. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, slats said:

On paper, it would seem that Douglas has the better resume. Being an assistant on two different Super Bowl winning franchises is better than working in just one Super Bowl winning organization your entire career, IMHO. Seeing two different ways to achieve the ultimate goal is invaluable. And yes, the Gase factor looms large. Gase has to be 100% on board with the next GM. 

Good point, and I agree. If they all loved Douglas from the start but then Fitterer came in and wowed everyone (including Gase!), then by all means make him the hire and let the reporters report and the fans fan. In the end, it has to be the best man who can work with Gase and Gase can work with. If Johnson is in love with Fitterer, but Gase is still stuck on Douglas, though, then Douglas should be the hire. 

IMHO, they interviewed four smart dudes with solid resumes, and the only way they can screw it up is by hiring the guy Gase doesn't like. That's not gonna work. 

The tie-breaker for me would be that, as a franchise, the Eagles and the Ravens have seemed to value OL and the Seahawks don't seem to, at least recently.  Even if he didn't draft the Eagles OL himself, I would hope that the priority would rub off on Douglas.  As to the Seahawks, Russell Wilson has been running for his life recently.  I don't want to continue in that direction.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

As far as the "Gase relationship" goes, I don't think Douglas has as big of an advantage as we all think he does. Check out Cimini's article from the weekend. He did a little digging into each of the candidates, and said that Fitterer and Gase apparently hit it off during the scouting process leading up to the draft.

There's a real chance that Gase may actually prefer Fitterer.