I've been a Jets fan for 50 years. I now believe this is the worst Jets team in history.

Alka

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

Before today, it was my feeling that the Rich Kotite 1-15 Jets team was the worst in Jets history.  Not because of their record, but because it was obvious that players and the team quit on the field.  It was pathetic to watch, and it was easy to turn off the tv.

This years Jets team Is in my opinion worse than that team.  Today players quit, and when players quit, then you have fracturing and no-one respects the head coach.  Losing to the worst team in the NFL who hasn't won a game, and this game wasn't even close if you can believe that.  When the worst team in the NFL shows more than this team, than this team now sinks to a new low.

Gase should be fired by Monday, but he won't be, because Chris Johnson is clueless.  Why is Chris Johnson clueless.  Because Douglas is supposed to be in charge, and instead of telling Jamal Adams that he needs to speak with Douglas, he has a conversation with Adams and circumvented Douglas.  By doing this, he has undermined the authority of Douglas,  adding to the disaster of this organization and to this years team.

I agree 100%

I feel exactly as you do and if the Jets keep Gase it will reveal just how inept the entire franchise is!!

This is a DISGRACE!!

Think Kotite’s team was better than this..

Good Grief!!

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

It’s a real toss up between Kotite / Charlie Winner/ Lou Holtz and this wretched squad as to the worst Jets team of all time 

Those were bad hopeless years, but this is definitely rivaling those. I have seen them all. I can even remember listening to them on the radio, because they couldn't sellout Shea, and they weren't televised locally.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

Before today, it was my feeling that the Rich Kotite 1-15 Jets team was the worst in Jets history.  Not because of their record, but because it was obvious that players and the team quit on the field.  It was pathetic to watch, and it was easy to turn off the tv.

This years Jets team Is in my opinion worse than that team.  Today players quit, and when players quit, then you have fracturing and no-one respects the head coach.  Losing to the worst team in the NFL who hasn't won a game, and this game wasn't even close if you can believe that.  When the worst team in the NFL shows more than this team, than this team now sinks to a new low.

Gase should be fired by Monday, but he won't be, because Chris Johnson is clueless.  Why is Chris Johnson clueless.  Because Douglas is supposed to be in charge, and instead of telling Jamal Adams that he needs to speak with Douglas, he has a conversation with Adams and circumvented Douglas.  By doing this, he has undermined the authority of Douglas,  adding to the disaster of this organization and to this years team.

I've got a few years on you, been watching for 53 years. The Lou Holtz team was the absolute most pitiful excuse for a team that quit on their clueless HC in Jets history. This team has the worst talent of any Jets team in 50+ years. Somehow we've been able to get a HC that's not a rookie and a GM that knows how to build a team. Stick with them for another cycle - who knows how long we have after that?

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I've got a few years on you, been watching for 53 years. The Lou Holtz team was the absolute most pitiful excuse for a team that quit on their clueless HC in Jets history. This team has the worst talent of any Jets team in 50+ years. Somehow we've been able to get a HC that's not a rookie and a GM that knows how to build a team. Stick with them for another cycle - who knows how long we have after that?

I agree with you about Douglas.  I think he understands that when you draft a franchise QB, you must protect him with an offensive line.  Douglas will make that happen.  Hopefully Darnold who is still very young, will be able to rebound after that.

I am not sold on Gase.  In a perfect world, he deserves another year with healthier players and a couple of studs on the offensive line.

Unfortunately, I think Gase lost the team, and when I head coach loses the team, it't time for him to go.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I've been a Jets fan for 45 years and I concur. I honestly believe this is the worst roster I've ever seen the Jets field.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I agree with you about Douglas.  I think he understands that when you draft a franchise QB, you must protect him with an offensive line.  Douglas will make that happen.  Hopefully Darnold who is still very young, will be able to rebound after that.

I am not sold on Gase.  In a perfect world, he deserves another year with healthier players and a couple of studs on the offensive line.

Unfortunately, I think Gase lost the team, and when I head coach loses the team, it't time for him to go. 

Lesser of two evils. Who in the world would take this job if they fired Gase after one year? Every other HC we've had has been a rookie who couldn't get a HC'ing position anywhere else.  He's not a great HC but he did show ability in Miami with a decently talented roster when he went 10-6 and went to the playoffs.

The thing that really, truly sucks to me is that for so many years the Jets actually had a decent team, a couple of weapons, maybe a great D and the one thing they were lacking was a QB.  I swear that I thought (and still do think) Darnold can be a Top 10 NFL QB....but everything else has turned to crap around him.

This is like an algebra equation now but we have 3 unknowns.

1. Is the Head Coach the reason that the offense does not function?

2. Is the Offensive Line so bad that it's causing all the dysfunction?

3. Is the QB regressing or is he a victim of trying to do too much because of 1 and 2 above?

In other words, if the offensive line was good and steady, we'd be able to evaluate the QB and the Head Coach more easily in my opinion.  If we had a strong, sure-fire, known QB who can be effective we could probably eliminate that piece and more easily evaluate the Head Coach, etc.

It's that EVERYTHING looks so bad that it's hard to tell if ANYTHING is good.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Lesser of two evils. Who in the world would take this job if they fired Gase after one year? Every other HC we've had has been a rookie who couldn't get a HC'ing position anywhere else.  He's not a great HC but he did show ability in Miami with a decently talented roster when he went 10-6 and went to the playoffs.

Who would take this job if they fired Gase?  The current defensive coordinator would take the job, and the defensive players would rally around him.

Just saying.  But of course we would then need another offensive coach.  That would be the problem.

Rich Kotite went 11-5 with the Eagles. Still a bad head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Kotite was a fool and his teams were horrible but even during that 1-15 season half of the games were within 7 points and somewhat watchable. This team gets embarrassed nearly every week. They just lost to a team team that is trying not to win. I have never seen a Jet team this uninspired and unprepared. Disgusting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The thing that really, truly sucks to me is that for so many years the Jets actually had a decent team, a couple of weapons, maybe a great D and the one thing they were lacking was a QB.  I swear that I thought (and still do think) Darnold can be a Top 10 NFL QB....but everything else has turned to crap around him.

3. Is the QB regressing or is he a victim of trying to do too much because of 1 and 2 above?

In other words, if the offensive line was good and steady, we'd be able to evaluate the QB and the Head Coach more easily in my opinion.  If we had a strong, sure-fire, known QB who can be effective we could probably eliminate that piece and more easily evaluate the Head Coach, etc.

Let’s not forget about our Swiss cheese defense

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100% with the bold.

The problem has got to be ownership.   The Johnsons have meddled.  They tried to get out of the way, the Casserly and Wolf advisory disaster.   They meddled again.

The franchise always looks directionless.

Jets fans have to take action to put pressure on them to sell the team.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Who would take this job if they fired Gase?  The current defensive coordinator would take the job, and the defensive players would rally around him.

Just saying.  But of course we would then need another offensive coach.  That would be the problem.

GW is an excellent DC. How did the D look today? Garbage - that's what they looked like and it's not due to the DC's schemes. It's caused by the crap players that Macc has stocked this roster with the last five years.

GW or Gase the results would be the same. Give these guys half the time that Herm and the wooden Indian had and you'll see a different result. 

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Again - I refer you to the 70's

I think this team is worse than those teams back then. It was a different time back in the 70's when it was not only about the money like it is now. Those guys tried at least, they just weren't any good, this team does not even try, and gets paid millions anyway.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

@Alka I made that comment and a few disagreed but it is absolute that Chris Johnson has NO BUSINESS talking with any players ....  it undermines the HC and GM. 

It’s the reason the Jets job is one of the less attractive jobs. You have to report to Woody or Chris. 

The fact that Woody gives the reins to his brother speaks volumes. 

This absolutely. No way the owner needs to get involved with the players, its dysfunctional.

We just lost to a team that has traded away every player that any other team wanted. And we just lost to them by double digits! 

None of those past teams played & lost to a team trying to tank. This is the nadir of this organization. 

This team definitely rivals the Kotitie teams in terms of  ineptness from top to bottom, but based on the hope and expectations I had for this team coming into the season, I can say that in the 45+ years I've been rooting for this team, this is the most disappointed I've been by a mile. 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I've been a Jets fan for 45 years and I concur. I honestly believe this is the worst roster I've ever seen the Jets field.

Not sure it's the worst roster comparing 'player for player', but one of the most poorly constructed rosters I've ever seen for certain.  For the most part no 'difference makers' to speak of and for the difference makers you do have, like Bell, and OL so devoid of talent even he cannot succeed.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We just lost to a team that has traded away every player that any other team wanted. And we just lost to them by double digits! 

None of those past teams played & lost to a team trying to tank. This is the nadir of this organization. 

Hmm...understand the sentiment, but 8 pt loss isn't double digits...and I've been drinking.

This a team that is well and truly demoralized. 

Frankly, at this point, whether it's his fault or he is a victim of circumstance, Gase appears to have lost the locker room. And I don't see how he gets it back. 

Douglas would immediately earn the respect of the whole league by doing the right thing here...