Jets all in on Jack Conklin

Rhg1084

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They aren't going to let Tannehill go. Book it.

I agree that the likelihood is really high.

I also think its gonna be a pretty obvious fail...    as his play will return to the mean, and he wont lead the league in completion %-age above expectation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yeah but he's joining Derek Henry, and Ryan Tannehill in free agency. The Titans only get one franchise/transition tag. Someone will break free and hit the open market. Titans obviously won't let Henry go. It's down to Tannehill and Conklin. Who do you think is hitting the open market? Not Tannehill.

I don't think they will need to let any of those guys go for cap reasons. They have over 50 million in cap space and some guys that can be cut or restructured to open up more.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What is their cap situation like?

They have about $50MM in cap space.  But they need to sign Henry and two QBs -- a starter and back-up.  And they already have big $$ tied up in Lewan and Saffold on the OL. 

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but there could be a chance he shakes free.

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

They have about $50MM in cap space.  But they need to sign Henry and two QBs -- a starter and back-up.  And they already have big $$ tied up in Lewan and Saffold on the OL. 

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but there could be a chance he shakes free.

I think it should be noted that they did not offer Conklin his 5th year option so I could see him wanting to test FA. If we want him I think we can get him.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

There is talk they are going to franchise Tannehill, so, I’m not so sure about that.

Yikes.  So they're going to burn $27M on Tannehill AND pay Henry? 

If I'm Tannehill I take that money and run, and refuse to negotiate an extension.  

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

Position Franchise Tag  
QB $26,895,000
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Position Franchise Tag  
QB $26,895,000

We will see, they have $53 million to spend.  But, thats why there is the thought that Conklin could shake free.  They probably can’t keep all 3.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If I'm Tannehill I take that money and run, and refuse to negotiate an extension.  

Position Franchise Tag  
QB $26,895,000

No way they do that.  None.  Lunacy.  GM would need to be put in a mental institution.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

We will see, they have $53 million to spend.  But, thats why there is the thought that Conklin could shake free.  They probably can’t keep all 3.

That $54M will go quickly.  $27M on a franchise tag for Tannehill (or cost of an extension), whatever Henry would cost, plus they also have to make decisions on other FA's like 3 of their top 4 CBs (Logan Ryan, Tye Smith, LeShaun Sims), RT Dennis Kelly (who would presumably take over starting duties at RT if Conklin leaves), starting OLB Kamalei Correa, WR2 Tajae Sharpe, and some other key backups.  

• Upvote 1

If the Titans don't tag Conklin, the Jets might have a chance.  IIRC, the Titans did NOT pick up his 5th year option b/c of his knee injury.  So, maybe he's not happy that they didn't show confidence in him and wants to test the FA waters. FWIW, Titans fans and some sites think that the Titans will offer him a deal to become the highest paid RT in the NFL.

Even if he shakes free, there are other teams out there likely make lucrative offers to him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This guy really has zero clue as to what’s going on.  Lots of good centers in this years draft?  Hardly.  

Well, maybe not plug and play guys but there are a number of solid prospects. Biadasz, Ruiz, Cushenberry, Muti, D.Williams, Hennesy, Harris are all solid prospects depending on the system you run. Not a lot of top end talent but good depth at the position. 

• Upvote 1

For everyone saying OTs don't shake free...he is basically already free.

Similar to the Jets and Robby Anderson, the time to try  and sign him for a hometown discount would have been last yr (when they didn't pick up his option) or during the season where maybe he signs for less just in case he gets injured. He is two months away from being the best young OT on the market with several teams with TONS of cap space in need of an OT. Why on earth would he decide to forego that now to take an offer from TEN when he knows that their offer will likely still be on the table two months from now? 

Not saying he won't - maybe he just loves TEN and the organization that much - but even then they need to sign Tannheill, Henry, Logan Ryan... and they already have two guys on the OL making 16mm and 11mm... so while there is a chance hes just a Titan for life type guy... I'd bet anything he'll be hitting FA - and should be the Jets top target. 

Conklin isn't going anywhere.

PFF has him rated as a top 10 tackle and Conklin just helped pave the way for this year's rushing champ.

If you ask me, he's probably more valuable then either Henry or Tannihill.

But if he some how does shake free............you make him the highest paid tackle in the league.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

For everyone saying OTs don't shake free...he is basically already free.

Similar to the Jets and Robby Anderson, the time to try  and sign him for a hometown discount would have been last yr (when they didn't pick up his option) or during the season where maybe he signs for less just in case he gets injured. He is two months away from being the best young OT on the market with several teams with TONS of cap space in need of an OT. Why on earth would he decide to forego that now to take an offer from TEN when he knows that their offer will likely still be on the table two months from now? 

Not saying he won't - maybe he just loves TEN and the organization that much - but even then they need to sign Tannheill, Henry, Logan Ryan... and they already have two guys on the OL making 16mm and 11mm... so while there is a chance hes just a Titan for life type guy... I'd bet anything he'll be hitting FA - and should be the Jets top target. 

Wishful thinking.

731C729D-35FA-426C-8349-20156CC47682.jpeg

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think they will need to let any of those guys go for cap reasons. They have over 50 million in cap space and some guys that can be cut or restructured to open up more.

They may have 50 million in cap, but Conklin could be the one to test the open market. I don't believe he'll be tagged. Either way I believe the Jets have an opportunity to go after him - will he decide to stay in Tennessee if the money is close? We will see. You can say the same for Brandon Scherff as well as Anthony Castonzo...will these guys want to block for Darnold instead of their incumbent quarterbacks? I think we have a shot. I don't view Dwayne Haskins, Ryan Tannehill, and Jacoby Brissett as guys a lineman would view having more upside than Darnold at this point. At least with Sam Darnold there is a chance he could be a really good quarterback. He's flashed the potential, and needs some blocking to help him become the quarterback he can become - free agent lineman coming here could have ownership in helping Darnold reach his potential. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be all in on Conklin.

The Titans have an interesting decision to make. They are obviously resigning Henry. I would pass on franchising Tanny, but you know they will be pressured to do so. 

I'd imagine that a team willing to blow Conklin away with a big offer would have a legit shot at landing him. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Position Franchise Tag  
QB $26,895,000

I know it's not much savings but you'd have to imagine the transition tag would make more sense. They'd save $2.5m when compared the the franchise tag. 

I don't think they will hit him with either tag but given the option it would make more sense to transition him. 

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I know it's not much savings but you'd have to imagine the transition tag would make more sense. They'd save $2.5m when compared the the franchise tag. 

I don't think they will hit him with either tag but given the option it would make more sense to transition him. 

True.  That would indeed make sense.  No one is giving up a 1st round pick to steal Tannehill away so this would just give them the opportunity to see what Tannehill's market value is and match an offer if needed.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We've heard this before it's just the right thing to say when hitting FA. Betting to have 32 teams fighting over you than 31 (you get what I mean)

Lol still wishful thinking people. He was a 1st team All-Pro and the 4th best tackle in the league last year. C’mon guys...he isn’t shaking free so stop hurting yourself with these expectations.

2 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Conklin isn't going anywhere.

PFF has him rated as a top 10 tackle and Conklin just helped pave the way for this year's rushing champ.

If you ask me, he's probably more valuable then either Henry or Tannihill.

But if he some how does shake free............you make him the highest paid tackle in the league.

Jack Conklin's injury history is the reason TEN declined the 5th year option

he missed games this year and looked good in the playoffs - they would let him go (and also the reason why the Jets should stay away) because he's not an ironman type of player. he's always hurt and super prone to concussions 

Dennis Kelly was like their real Right tackle 

• Upvote 1