Maybe James Morgan wasn't a crazy pick?

Morgan is a very raw prospect with poor mechanics. Arm talent is there, but 4th round was way too high to take him. I also would not be comfortable with him backing up Darnold. If Morgan had to play Jets would be toast, so they need to add a veteran backup QB.

• Upvote 9
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think JD really took a rigorous look at the Jets roster and sought to replace any player he deemed too expensive with a cheap draft pick.  

Becton over a Conklin.  Mims just a need.  Davis over Maye.  Perine over Powell.  Morgan over Fales or another expensive backup.  CBs rather than Logan Ryan.  Mann over Edwards.  Clark over Winters.

Getting ready to pay Jamal and Sam.  Smart GMs look ahead and plan for it.  That is likely a part of what thsi was all about.  We'll still have some cap room to work with but at least we won't be cutting to the bone when it's time to pay Sam.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Morgan is a very raw prospect with poor mechanics. Arm talent is there, but 4th round was way too high to take him. I also would not be comfortable with him backing up Darnold. If Morgan had to play Jets would be toast, so they need to add a veteran backup QB.

Exactly which veteran backup? They all pretty much suck and cost a lot of money. That path blows. Always has always will. Yeah every once in a while something like Foles happens but they are so few and far between its not even worth pursuing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

pats couldn't have wanted him that bad if they drafted 5 guys before him.

Hey I am glad people are happy and enthusiastic to have him but 'accuracy' did not jump out in his college stats.  I'd like someone to tell me why this guy is a vastly better prospect than Davis Webb or Mike White, both big guys with big arms that were or are here.

We could have made better use of that pick imo. 

Only time will tell.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

pats couldn't have wanted him that bad if they drafted 5 guys before him.

Hey I am glad people are happy and enthusiastic to have him but 'accuracy' did not jump out in his college stats.  I'd like someone to tell me why this guy is a vastly better prospect than Davis Webb or Mike White, both big guys with big arms that were or are here.

We could have made better use of that pick imo. 

Only time will tell.

In the 4th round there is a very good chance any player you took was going to be a bust. I would guess that Morgan ends being more like Webb. But that is the case with EVERY QB taken in the 4th-7th rounds. If they had a really good chance of being good they wouldn't have  lasted to the 4th round. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I’m not an expert but when you look at his highlights it looks like his mechanics are good. His motion looks like a good fastball pitcher without any obvious flaws. I’ve read he doesn’t have good touch but I didn’t hear about poor mechanics. Have you read they have to work on his delivery?

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i mean a QB with a value pick seems nuts when u have Darnold...then again the value for him could have been pretty high from reading all the pre-draft stuff.

Well lets see, if we had a backup QB that won some games we possibly make the playoffs this past year and likely make them this year with another playoff spot. And these retread backups like McCown have less chance of winning games coming off the bench then a QB like Morgan who will have more upside though needs some exp. here and there to curb some of the rookie mistakes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

I’m not an expert but when you look at his highlights it looks like his mechanics are good. His motion looks like a good fastball pitcher without any obvious flaws. I’ve read he doesn’t have good touch but I didn’t hear about poor mechanics. Have you read they have to work on his delivery?

He just may throw too hard on shorter patterns that either he learns how to throw with some touch or the players catching need to adjust.

19 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

So sign a vet too.  

This is about developing a longer term backup.

Guess what, I'd guess if Darnold went down and a scrub has been or never was vet had to play the Jets would more than likely still be toast. 

• Upvote 2

He certainly doesn't have perfect mechanics(lower body) and he definitely can't hold the ball so low before he throws. On the other hand has good mobility and throws the ball on the move very well keeping his eyes downfield when he's forced from the pocket. He has all the tools needed to succeed if he gets a year of good coaching.

• Upvote 2