Jadeveon Clowney Interested In Jets

2 hours ago, Prez33 said:

We get all wrapped up in the name because he was a lottery pick. But the production hasn’t matched, especially sacks. This dude was paid to sack the QB, and we’re gonna pay him over 15 million a year? 

Pass. 

I believe it to be the exact opposite.  He’s actually a very good, disruptive player.  

He didn’t live up to the hype surrounding him so everyone thinks he just stinks.  He’s one of the better defensive players a in the league, certainly not what was expected of him, but I’m not sure anyone could have lived up to that.  Watch him play, he lives in the backfield.   

He would absolutely make this team better.  Isn’t that what matters?  Bringing in good players to make the team better?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I believe it to be the exact opposite.  He’s actually a very good, disruptive player.  

He didn’t live up to the hype surrounding him so everyone thinks he just stinks.  He’s one of the better defensive players a in the league, certainly not what was expected of him, but I’m not sure anyone could have lived up to that.  Watch him play, he lives in the backfield.   

He would absolutely make this team better.  Isn’t that what matters?  Bringing in good players to make the team better?

Jadeveon Clowney in six years of experience:

172 solo tackles, 32 Sacks, 9 FF

Jordan Jenkins in only four years of experience:

100 solo tackles, 20.5 sacks, 6 FF. 

We can talk about guys “living in backfields” and “blowing up RB’s” all we want, but it’s a stats driven league. Jenkins has two less seasons than Clowney and look at the numbers. I’m not saying he’s better than Clowney, but how much of a difference is Clowney going to make over Jenkins, making a whole lot more in salary? 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Jadeveon Clowney in six years of experience:

172 solo tackles, 32 Sacks, 9 FF

Jordan Jenkins in only four years of experience:

100 solo tackles, 20.5 sacks, 6 FF. 

We can talk about guys “living in backfields” and “blowing up RB’s” all we want, but it’s a stats driven league. Jenkins has two less seasons than Clowney and look at the numbers. I’m not saying he’s better than Clowney, but how much of a difference is Clowney going to make over Jenkins, making a whole lot more in salary? 

In those seasons Clowney played 15 games more than Jenkins. So in 1 season of games Clowney put up 72 more tackles, 11.5 more sacks and 3 more forced fumbles. You wanna add more fun Clowney had 49 more TFLs, 40 more QB hits, and an interception.

the comparison doesn’t exist. Durability is a concern with Clowney- being average is not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Some other no name non verified twitter account says the titans are officially out on Clowney. No idea what’s real or not, but if Seattle is out and now Tennessee (if true) who else besides the jets have been linked to this guy? He might have 0 market and fall into our laps dirt cheap. 

If the Jets sign any of these high priced FA's it should be on a one year deal.

At this point nobody knows what is going to happen with the NFL season.  Or what's going to happen to the cap next year if it is seriously disrupted.  GM's have to be thinking about that.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what Greg Williams thinks of Clowney? He’s got to have a lot of pull in-this regard. If he tells Gase “I can get you 3 additional possessions a game if I have this guy“ Gase would sign  up for this in a NY minute. I think JD would make it happen, as long as there is a season. Cut Winters and put that money towards Clowney. Come June you can resign Winters to a cheaper deal. Wink-Wink!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

1 year prove type of deal, ny is a big market if the plays well he'll get his 19M next year. Give GW him and Ryan and lets see what he can do.

If Clowney has a good year in NY the biggest stage in the world for sports he’s going to get a big long term deal afterwards

He doesn’t even need to have a great year just good and he will get $90 million on the open market in 2021

8 hours ago, jetsons said:

15m per... I'll take him... If Clowney really wants to up his game he'll have no better coach than Gregg Williams.

Why would we spend $15M per on him when no one really seems to want him at the moment?   Force him to drop his asking price or tell him to kick rocks.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kdels62 said:

He’s better than 90% of Edge players in the league. We suck at EDGE. 

Draft our own then.  Zuniga might be a good start.  

Sign Clowney to a long-term deal, and he'll dog it.  Many/most mercenaries who get paid to play for a non-contender do.  

Sign Clowney to a 1-year deal, and now you're just talking about doing it for the comp pick.  This is preferable to the long-term option, but I just fail to see the point.  Clowney isn't making this team a contender.  We're a 6-7 win roster.  He's not providing 3 wins.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Bringing in the right players at the right price is what matters.

If we had spent big money on no-knee Jack Conklin like you'd hope we would at the start of free agency, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  We'd have no space left.  

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would we spend $15M per on him when no one really seems to want him at the moment?   Force him to drop his asking price or tell him to kick rocks.  

Because he's not asking 15 he's asking 17-18....

Sources - Jadeveon Clowney drops asking price to $17M-18M Free agent Jadeveon Clowney is now seeking a number closer to $17 million to $18 million per season, and the Seahawks and Titans remain "interested" in signing the three-time Pro Bowl selection, sources told ESPN. Free agent Jadeveon Clowney is now seeking a number closer to $17 million to $18 million per season, and the Seahawks and Titans remain "interested" in signing the three-time Pro Bowl selection, sources told ESPN.

4 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Because he's not asking 15 he's asking 17-18....

Sources - Jadeveon Clowney drops asking price to $17M-18M Free agent Jadeveon Clowney is now seeking a number closer to $17 million to $18 million per season, and the Seahawks and Titans remain "interested" in signing the three-time Pro Bowl selection, sources told ESPN. Free agent Jadeveon Clowney is now seeking a number closer to $17 million to $18 million per season, and the Seahawks and Titans remain "interested" in signing the three-time Pro Bowl selection, sources told ESPN.

That's cool.  And I'd love a 3-way with Rihanna and Olivia Munn.  Sadly they're not offering.

He won't get that money if no one wants to pay him.  

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Draft our own then.  Zuniga might be a good start.  

Sign Clowney to a long-term deal, and he'll dog it.  Many/most mercenaries who get paid to play for a non-contender do.  

Sign Clowney to a 1-year deal, and now you're just talking about doing it for the comp pick.  This is preferable to the long-term option, but I just fail to see the point.  Clowney isn't making this team a contender.  We're a 6-7 win roster.  He's not providing 3 wins.

Drafting a player as good as Clowney is rare and that’s even if you account for him being “disappointing.” That’s not to say that Clowney is going to transform the defense but he makes it much better. Clowney has never been accused of “dogging” it as a pro. He’s got no locker room issues and his biggest concern is health (a big concern).

This isn’t a 6-7 win team. Adjust the expectations. This division is up for grabs, we have the young promising QB. Take the chance. Clowney has won games “by himself” if can do that once for us this year it pushes us closer to the playoffs and then it’s a series of 1 game samples. 

Without a physical I don’t believe in signing Clowney long-term, but if he helps compete this year that’s great. Zuniga (if he’s any good this year) across from Jordan Jenkins is nice, across from Clowney he’d be even better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Our fans are hilarious. Just addicted to shiny new toys.

Signing Clowney on this kind of money makes no sense for a team who aren’t looking to win now. He’s still a free agent precisely because he’s not an elite pass rusher looking elite pass rusher money. Every team in the league would take him “on the cheap”. He’s a good player but more of a glorified Calvin Pace than a John Abraham. We already have our own defensive player asking for more than he’s worth and people want to go chasing another. If it came down to Clowney or Adams it’s the latter and it’s not really close. And I’m not an Adams fanboy at all.

What does signing Clowney give us exactly? An elite defence for a year to maybe get us 9 wins? Then what? It would be an irresponsible signing on so many levels. I would lose just about all faith in Douglas if he went and blew our cap space on a guy teams are actively avoiding - well managed teams with more to gain than us.

Do not want for $20m per or $15m per. Just let him move on elsewhere and stick to the rebuild. 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bringing in the right players at the right price is what matters.

If we had spent big money on no-knee Jack Conklin like you'd hope we would at the start of free agency, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  We'd have no space left.  

Don’t get me wrong. Would still prefer Conklin for one year. Especially over the $10mm we gave career back-up Fant. 

but that ship has sailed.  So bring in Clowney. 

Edited by FidelioJet

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Our fans are hilarious. Just addicted to shiny new toys.

Signing Clowney on this kind of money makes no sense for a team who aren’t looking to win now. He’s still a free agent precisely because he’s not an elite pass rusher looking elite pass rusher money. Every team in the league would take him “on the cheap”. He’s a good player but more of a glorified Calvin Pace than a John Abraham. We already have our own defensive player asking for more than he’s worth and people want to go chasing another. If it came down to Clowney or Adams it’s the latter and it’s not really close. And I’m not an Adams fanboy at all.

What does signing Clowney give us exactly? An elite defence for a year to maybe get us 9 wins? Then what? It would be an irresponsible signing on so many levels. I would lose just about all faith in Douglas if he went and blew our cap space on a guy teams are actively avoiding - well managed teams with more to gain than us.

Do not want for $20m per or $15m per. Just let him move on elsewhere and stick to the rebuild. 

I keep reading this BS & im thinking, why don't we want to win now? The Jets played right with Buffalo last year, THE 2nd BEST TEAM IN THE AFC EAST & a team that went to the playoffs! And we did it with holes all over the roster that were patched up this offseason.

With Miami rebuilding & Brady moving on for Stidham, I'm trying to figure out why Jet fans don't think we'll be trying to win, or are not ready to win? 

There are just a few Elite teams in the NFL & a bunch of also rans, I want this team to get in the Playoffs again! I want Sam Darnold to get PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE! That's how careers are made!

The Jets in the playoffs are no walk over if Darnold gets protected & gets hot, the Cowboys I'm positive didn't think they were leaving Metlife last year as losers. 

Clowney adds that other level of pressure you need to disrupt an offense. Poo poo his sacks all you want but whenever I've watched games with Clowney on the field he's been in the backfield DISRUPTING. 

IF Quinnen Williams steps it up, you add Clowney to other disruptors like Mosely & Adams that's a lot for opposing defenses to worry about. The Texans NEVER had a group of LBs as good as the Jets should be this year. Mosely healthy is 1 of the 5 best defensive players in the entire league. 

JD added huge depth at CB (youth), added Davis (a incredible athlete with great range), we already have a developing youthful interior Dline with Shepard, Foley & Phillips. 

F*ck this not ready BS, let's go out & take this damn division! 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1