Go out on a limb

Name a long-shot player that nobody is really talking about that you think has a chance to make the 53.

I'm going with Michigan UDFA OG Ben Braden.  Has managed to stick around for a few years, multiple regimes and was brough back by Joe D. after letting him go for about five minutes.  

Quincy Wilson.  Justy because I want it to be so and the team needs to firm up CB and I have little faith in Hairston.. 

But in reality, I expect Poole to shine.  He seems to thrive in Williams defense.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm saying Bryce Huff starts over Jordan Jenkins

I like Jenkins, but to upgrade at that spot with an UDFA would be excellent.  I think that at the very least, Huff makes it as a situational/developmental guy.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:13 AM, AFJF said:

Name a long-shot player that nobody is really talking about that you think has a chance to make the 53.

I'm going with Michigan UDFA OG Ben Braden.  Has managed to stick around for a few years, multiple regimes and was brough back by Joe D. after letting him go for about five minutes.  

Vincynt Smyth

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/2/2020 at 5:43 AM, Dcat said:

Quincy Wilson.  Justy because I want it to be so and the team needs to firm up CB and I have little faith in Hairston.. 

But in reality, I expect Poole to shine.  He seems to thrive in Williams defense.  

I totally forgot about this guy. 

Going with Lawrence Cager. I mentioned before my buddy is a Miami Hurricanes fan & he was fit to be tied when the Jets signed him as an UDFA. 

6-5 with sticky hands, great highpoint skills, matched with Sam Darnolds accuracy, by mid season Cager becomes a Redzone nightmare. Just his presence will open up everything else for Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell. 

A 5-9 CB can't cover a 6-5 WR alone. And if Sam & Cager get on the same page on ball placement & routes it's almost impossible to defend without a PI. You have to remember that Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell also have to be accounted for, that's a lot of talent in the Redzone with an accurate QB.

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, T0mShane said:

The answer is Lyrical Dream Shyheim Carter. Adams is probably getting traded and Carter is a really savvy player whom Gregg will like

Probably a good guess. From an article about the Jets UDFAs from Manish: 

"Versatile Alabama defensive back Shyheim Carter got the second most guaranteed money with $72,000 ($12,000 signing bonus and $60,000 guaranteed base salary).

The 5-11, 194-pound Carter played the “star” nickel position for Nick Saban. Although Carter doesn’t have superior athleticism and size, NFL talent evaluators are impressed with his football I.Q. and versatility to play slot cornerback or free safety. Carter was a stat-sheet stuffer in 2018 (10 pass break-ups, two pick-sixes, 3 ½ tackles for loss in 12 starts) before taking a slight statistical dip last season. But he rebounded fairly well after undergoing sports hernia surgery following the 2018 campaign." 

The most guaranteed money went to Bryce Huff. Both could make the team. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Probably a good guess. From an article about the Jets UDFAs from Manish: 

"Versatile Alabama defensive back Shyheim Carter got the second most guaranteed money with $72,000 ($12,000 signing bonus and $60,000 guaranteed base salary).

The 5-11, 194-pound Carter played the “star” nickel position for Nick Saban. Although Carter doesn’t have superior athleticism and size, NFL talent evaluators are impressed with his football I.Q. and versatility to play slot cornerback or free safety. Carter was a stat-sheet stuffer in 2018 (10 pass break-ups, two pick-sixes, 3 ½ tackles for loss in 12 starts) before taking a slight statistical dip last season. But he rebounded fairly well after undergoing sports hernia surgery following the 2018 campaign."

All he needs to learn how to do is run his mouth more and clap his hands, and he'll become multi-year Pro-Bowl player.

• Haha 1

Going out on a limb, so I don’t think it’s likely to happen, but a plausible option.

Josh Doctson breaks out.

To me, his main issue (aside from health) has been creating separation. He high points the ball well, and he runs relatively fast (not a true burner), which means his biggest weakness is route running.

He’s not quite exploding out of cuts, which means he’s not getting that instant separation (at which point the DB is in recovery mode).

I think the Jets’ WR coaches can help with that, which could unlock some of his talent.

I’m not saying he’s going to be a No. 1, but someone that can be a solid 2 if he breaks out.

I mentioned him because most people assume he’s not making the roster based on injury, production and contract length.

The other guy I love is Guidry. His size sucks but he was a good corner in college on a good defense, and has the athleticism to thrive in the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, preteenbean said:

I think Vincent Smyth could really make it on to the team if he beats enunwa and perriman to me perriman is the guy to beat since enunwa's always hurt.

I think Smith did a great job in a tough spot last year.  He's one of those third-stringers that helped lead us to a 6-2 finish so I think he deserves a shot at a roster spot this year.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, Dcat said:

Which is why I did not like (more like detest) trading away a pick for him when we are desperate for revamping the WR corps.