Brian Winters Cut

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I honestly didn’t mind him as a player but you have to think Clowney or Yannick is on their way

Agree Clowney as a free agent or maybe a trade for Yannick that would cost us a #1 or maybe Ju-Ju from Pittsburgh for a #1. 

JD is going to make some type of move sooner than later. 

11 minutes ago, ageingjetfan said:

Wondering if the why now was right after Mosley opted out and they figure between the two we can bring in someone nobody thought we would?

Very possible this was done to make cap room for a signing, but I think it could just as easily being Chris Johnson and JD cutting payroll knowing this season is unlikely to happen and putting that cap money towards 2021. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetpain said:

Very possible this was done to make cap room for a signing, but I think it could just as easily being Chris Johnson and JD cutting payroll knowing this season is unlikely to happen and putting that cap money towards 2021. 

What would the difference be.  We could just cut him next season if that happened so it doesn't seem like there was any benefit to doing it now if that was the only reason.

45 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Curious as to the timing.  Why now?    Haven't put the pads on yet.   Maybe afraid he would get hurt or opt out and they would be stuck for the money or contract would roll over to next year.   Either way, seems like cutting him loose sooner would have given him a better chance to land elsewhere.  Didn't think there was ever a chance he was making team at his salary.  

It's not that curious. Players can opt out. Before cutting anyone loose, see if you've got a starting 5 on the line first. If a couple other guards had opted out of the season, Winters would still be on the roster.

22 minutes ago, ageingjetfan said:

Wondering if the why now was right after Mosley opted out and they figure between the two we can bring in someone nobody thought we would?

If I’m being an optimist what’s happening is they now realize they have to sign Ryan and Clowney and they are cutting a way overpriced JAG who didn’t even get along with Sam

14 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

When Winters was healthy he was really solid. Problem was he was never healthy.

I think he had one or two decent seasons right before that contract. He definitely was hurt by the scrubs around him. But I never thought he was very good- worst rookie year I’ve ever seen and then seemed ascending but injuries, scrubs bookending him, and being overpriced doomed him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What would the difference be.  We could just cut him next season if that happened so it doesn't seem like there was any benefit to doing it now if that was the only reason.

Wouldn't his cap number then continue until you cut him next year limiting your available cap space and what other moves you could make?  Secondly, if he somehow got hurt,  team would be responsible for full contract amount.  That would be a disaster.   After the recent lack of return the team is getting on several of these larger contracts including CJ and Enunwa and Johnsom, not sure I can bla,e them for Getting out from another bad one when they can 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

4EEE6737-2BE8-4C62-8215-F9D96C3113C4.thumb.jpeg.5f42a5d22c8ecbb07bbaeab5c87a8e27.jpeg

The clown literally can't help himself.

Winters would be the ideal back up and I hope they resign him for less. Worked really hard to get where he is and played through major pain. On a side note: Did this really happen? I am so glad we traded Adams. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

When Winters was healthy he was really solid. Problem was he was never healthy.

The hate for him is funny to me.   he was a very good G but couldn't stay healthy and playing thru some injuries like he did was admirable but his play suffered,  We can only hope Lewia and Van Roten play at a healthy Winters level.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Then make a play for Clowney. 2 years 30 mil

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Clowney lead the entire NFL last year in penalties and missed 3 games. That's more penalties than the top penalty offender on the OLINE. Lead the NFL in penalties the 2 prior seasons from last other than Oline-men. With only 3 sacks last year and his top year at 9 1/2 I dont think he is on the Jets radar. Just my opinion. 

• Sympathy 1