Brian Winters Cut

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Maybe because there there is a pandemic and revenue will be down? Mosley and winters were non factors last year.

We have the 7th highest amount of cap space next year. That’s without rollover or the obvious cutting off Henry Anderson and Quincy Enunwa. We have no one to pay and only 3 priority players to re-sign (Poole, Maye, Perriman). Worst case scenario we have $30 million to play with, more likely we end up with $55m - $75m.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

All I can think of is Douglas is trying to roll cap money into next year, but even with that logic he could have waited another month +. Maybe he did Winters a solid and gave him the opportunity to latch onto another team at this time instead of making him a final cut.

This is what I am thinking may be going on.  We wanted him to take a pay cut.  He refused and we cut him to give him an opportunity to catch on elsewhere.  Probably still a chance we bring him back depending on offers he receives.  Other than that, I can't figure out the timing. 

With $20MM cap space today, we have plenty of space for a signing without cutting Winters.  No reason to release him now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I get that but they've already stated that the cap will not go lower than a set amount no matter what happens this year. I don't recall the exact number offhand but the NFL and the union already agreed to it.

$174M is worst case scenario

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

This is what I am thinking may be going on.  We wanted him to take a pay cut.  He refused and we cut him to give him an opportunity to catch on elsewhere.  Probably still a chance we bring him back depending on offers he receives.  Other than that, I can't figure out the timing. 

With $20MM cap space today, we have plenty of space for a signing without cutting Winters.  No reason to release him now.

Thanks for the voice of reason because it can hard to come by here.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We have the 7th highest amount of cap space next year. That’s without rollover or the obvious cutting off Henry Anderson and Quincy Enunwa. We have no one to pay and only 3 priority players to re-sign (Poole, Maye, Perriman). Worst case scenario we have $30 million to play with, more likely we end up with $55m - $75m.

Good?

It doesn’t seem like the Steelers will be able to sign Juju. I’d trade for him and sign him. Not sure what it will cost to trade for him: maybe the Seattle 1st or our 2nd.

I don’t want us to trade for Yannick. But I wouldn’t mind signing Clowney to a reasonable contract.

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He means to be a more attractive landing spot with cap space to use. 

Ah I can see it worded that way too. I doubt that's an issue though, coaches arent going to shy away from a team with 30-40+ cap space. 

If it were an Eagles situation, I could see that happening. 

The projected cap could be as low as $175 million next year.  16 teams will be over the cap if that's the number with 4 more teams less than $10 million under the cap.  A lot of good players will get cut bc of that.  The Jets will be in a great position to sweep in and pick up some impact players that can really help this team and their QB going forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

31 minutes ago, RobR said:

All I can think of is Douglas is trying to roll cap money into next year, but even with that logic he could have waited another month +. Maybe he did Winters a solid and gave him the opportunity to latch onto another team at this time instead of making him a final cut.

This seems to me the only real explanation to all of this. With the amount of injuries on the offensive line we had last year, you would think we want to hold on to as much quality depth as possible.  Winters wasnt the best guard, but he was an experienced veteran who could start.  

The guard market is actually pretty weak in FA right now, so perhaps writing was on the wall for winters and JD let him go so that like you said he could latch onto another team.  That to me seems more plausible than anything else honestly.  

The only other thing I can think of (and its a stretch) was that they were deliberating cap wise between Winters and Williamson in order to free up a little more space to make a big signing and keep flexibility.  I know they wanted to move Williamson last offseason and even around draft time there were discussions.  So could it be now that Mosely opted out it forced their hand to keep Avery so they decided it was better to cut Winters, give him a chance to latch onto another team, and still get cap flexibility to make another move like they wanted? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

You can’t just punt this cap space to next year this is a huge year for Sam swing a trade for a WR or upgrade the edge with the extra cap space and capital. We can’t rely on rookies to come in here and make instant impacts with a limited offseason and no preseason games! There’s gotta be another move here!!

I agree, I think we are happy with the crew we have currently though. I would argue wasting cap space this season when we may not get a full year would be a bigger issue than rolling with our current roster. Juju or Robinson would be the exception I guess but then again it depends how likely you think it is that you can land them in FA. I think the Jets have a real good shot at getting Juju in FA.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I agree, I think we are happy with the crew we have currently though. I would argue wasting cap space this season when we may not get a full year would be a bigger issue than rolling with our current roster. Juju or Robinson would be the exception I guess but then again it depends how likely you think it is that you can land them in FA. I think the Jets have a real good shot at getting Juju in FA.

We’ve definitely got a good chance in free agency but free agency is also a crapshoot. We went from Conklin to Thuney to Scherff to none of the above if you can upgrade your team with a proven stud it’s worth the capital and space imo. Especially when you think about relying  on Perriman Mims and Vincent Smith to be your starting outside WRs. I like Mims and think he has a ton of potential but no preseason/limited camp in a new system is not a recipe for immediate success. Perriman showed flashes of what he’s capable of last year but his career for the most part has been underwhelming. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Gotta think this is related to another move because they didn’t need to cut him this week ( unless I missed something) and if there are injuries he is a decent hold the fort guy that knows the offense 

It could just be trying to get the cap number down in preparation for the NFL dropping the overall cap. Winters gets us down quite a bit and that could save some guys at other positions. 

This is such a bad look. You just lost one of the presumed leaders of your team to a voluntary opt-out and the next day you cut one of your actual leaders who played through an abdominal tear to save a few bucks? Gross. I hope they re-sign him ASAP to a vet minimum deal.

• Sympathy 1

I think most people were expecting this cut... months ago.  The timing is awful... hope he lands on his feet somewhere (back here maybe.. doubt it..)

I don't think any major moves are coming.  Making space for a much lower cap next year to be a buyer instead of a seller.  This season is looking rough ? 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is such a bad look. You just lost one of the presumed leaders of your team to a voluntary opt-out and the next day you cut one of your actual leaders who played through an abdominal tear to save a few bucks? Gross. I hope they re-sign him ASAP to a vet minimum deal.

You need to “man-up” bro. You have MaCagnan on the brain.... giving out feel good contracts to Enunwa and that guy who came over from the Raiders, played 1 game and never came back from a questionable injury. You’re not a “hard-ass” you’re a pussy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lounap23 said:

The hate for him is funny to me.   he was a very good G but couldn't stay healthy and playing thru some injuries like he did was admirable but his play suffered,  We can only hope Lewia and Van Roten play at a healthy Winters level.

I don't hate him at all.  I've always felt that he was a tough guy who would play through pain and injuries to the best of his ability.  Unfortunately, he never played that well in playing through his injuries, and he was injured a lot.  The most important ability in the NFL is availability, and for the money the Jets are saving by letting him go, it was the right move to make.

I thought that when the Jets drafted him in the 3rd round, I was hoping that they would get a steal with him.  Unfortunately, I never saw him as any better than an average starting player.  Tough guy, for sure, but average.  Perhaps if he never got injured, he would have gotten better and reached his potential, whatever that may have been, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I was wrong about this, so I’ll own up to it. I said multiple times throughout the offseason I thought winters was going to be the guy everyone wanted gone but was at right guard on opening day. The jets will literally have 5 new starters on the starting OL. 

@Pac

big mac 80s GIF

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Money aside.... he might have been the best player we drafted that year .

We had 2 first round picks.  Winters contributed more than any player in our 2013 draft.

Ill always respect him for that.....  

Sheldon Richardson + Brian Winters >>>>> any Macc draft class

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'll be honest, I don't think this was a good move YET. There was no time crunch to when we needed to cut Winters. I'd have preferred we held onto him until we know which players are opting out or who gets hurt. This move is 100% a good guy move by Douglas so that Winters can catch on with a team heading into camp.

The time crunch was established by the risk of him opting out, pushing back the time when we can cut him loose another year.

We can fairly easily bring him back.  If someone else wants him that badly?  Have at it, I guess?  He's 29 and has missed 10 games over the last 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1