The 4th and 1

Maxman

This sums it up for me. I watched the game with my son who was a Center in high school and an offensive tackle in college. On the 4th and 1 he kept saying they need to run a QB sneak here. Just take the yard, nobody is lined up over center

Here is what Adam Gase had to say about it.

Rich Cimini, ESPN: A two-parter on Sam, on the fourth-and-one play, does he have the freedom if he sees something, to call a quarterback sneak?
Not on that play he didn’t.

Rich Cimini, ESPN: Why not? What’s the explanation?
It’s my call.

Rich Cimini, ESPN: It’s not like a sweeping thing, it’s just that particular play in that situation he did not have the freedom?
There’s sometimes that things like that are built in, and he knows he can go to it. And there’s other times where he’s going to call the play that’s run. If we execute the play, we’ve got the first down. We didn’t execute it.

Al Iannazzone, Newsday: Looking back, I know you would have had the one yard on fourth-and-one if the Mike (linebacker) was blocked. Is there anything now that maybe you would have done differently? Obviously, you said there was a play you wanted to run but you couldn’t. 
I originally was calling a pass on third-and-one, and unfortunately the pass was for BP (Breshad Perriman) and he was out of the game, so I went to a different call. The third-and-one, I felt like with what they played we were in good position. We took a bad angle to block one of the DBs and he slipped through and that’s what kind of stopped us. And then we had another opportunity on fourth-and-one and we’ve got to anticipate what they did and then we’ve got to make sure that we do a good job blocking the linebacker and it’s going to be a really good play, and we didn’t do that.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Yeah I thought the QB sneak was a gimmie the way the defense was lined up.  Gase forbidding his QB override a play says SOOOO much about what he thinks of Sam.  Oh yeah and there is no QB coach on this team either; another of Gase's judgement calls.  

Gase's ego is a stumbling block this team can't overcome.      

Agreed 100%

I must point out that GVR on this particular play absolutely sucked and needs to be blamed more than anybody. But yeah the broader picture is Gase sucks a lot.

• Sympathy 2

THIS IS NOT A DEFENSE OF GASE

but I DO have a serious question...for all Sam apologists.

Which is it?

A) Sam is a grown ass man who should able to call his own audibles who shopuld be given as much freedom in this (or any other) offense as possible?

BEE) Sam is a baby who needs to be coddled and protected and whose performance is NEVER his own responsibility and we must make sure we don't hurt his feelings, or ever threaten him with any REAL competition for his 1 out of 32 in the world spot as an NFL starting QB,  cos we may harm his not fully developed pysche?

if A, what body of evidence exists that tells you his reading of defenses supports your decision?

COs, if he CAN??? I'm down...   consider that I have been calling for the 2 minute offense since 1-7 LAST YEAR.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

GVR on this particular play absolutely sucked and needs to be blamed more than anybody. But yeah the broader picture is Gase sucks a lot.

Yes. Both things true. Everybody thinks Shanny JR is a genius...  his record iover 50 games is .480

Gases record is .455 over 66 games. mediocre. Rex over 66 was .480, Bowles over 66 .388  ( thats crazy that all those 3 had 66 games exactly...I had no friggin idea.) Gregg Williams over 55 games was .393

Just for some comps...   

THIS IS NOT A DEFENSE OF GASE

I was in the " at least he isnt another DC and I guess a letter of ref from Manning is not nothing"

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR says that Gase is protecting Sam because Sam didn’t see the alignment and change the play when he should have.  Gase takes all the hits from the media anyway, so he might as well take one for Darnold when he can. 

I would love for Gase to call out Sam as I think he needs a slap in the face, but whatever Gase is doing with Sam is working as he was a Top 10 PFF QB yesterday. 

SAR I

Is this Chris Johnson’s burner account?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just not a real NFL offense. We are not witnessing a real NFL offense. It is not more complicated than that. 

the only magic that ever happens is when the play breaks down the outcome is determined by sandlot rules.

Sad. We should boycott. Or protest. “Peacefully”.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

He's trying to turn Darnold into a robot.  He trusts his gameplan and play sheets cooked up in the lab during weeklong preparation more than his QB's ability to make a pretty basic assessment at the LOS for one yard.  The way he has handcuffed this offense with both play calling and pass route design (4 yard outs on a 3rd and 7) is just mind-boggling.  But it speaks to Gase's ego.  He is who he is... not an enabler of people, just a coach who trusts his designs and won't deviate from them regardless of the situation.  He wishes he had an Xbox controller on the sideline just so that his players did what he instructed.  This is completely in line with his RB preferences.  Gase wants RBs that run straight to where the play is designed to go, hit the hole...even if it's not there.  It's why he's always hated Le'Veon Bell's ability to assess blocking and line up his blockers for successful runs.  Gase wants no improv.

Now, to be fair, Gase is likely right that if things had been blocked correctly they get the 1st Down.  But when Darnold knows the play and walks up to the line.... the situation could change.  Perhaps he sees the probability of success go from 75% on the call down to 50% when he sees how the D is lined up.  And, maybe he sees a gift of a D alignment that has a QB sneak jump to 90% chance of success as he steps up to the line.  Not allowing your QB to make that decision shows zero trust.... especially in Year 2.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Most Jets fans knew this roster had only marginal NFL talent coming into the season, it's unsettling to see the coaches and GM look so outraged and surprised at the early season results.

Gase is blaming the players for not carrying out their assignments. Fair enough but if the current roster can't execute their assignments, maybe improvise? Simplify or play to whatever threadbare strengths this remaining roster has ? 

Gase is failing at improvisation, at the poor hand his has been dealt.

Every team has injuries, it can't be an excuse.  You can't blame Greg Williams for Jamal Adams being traded or CJ Mosley opting out. What we can question are the decision on free agent losses and the quality of the Joe Douglas replacements.

GVR was an overachiever, a marginal NFL quality player who had one great year.

Fant? Very few of Jet fans understood why he was getting so much money. Supposedly Fant was packed with leadership intangibles, he also looked like Fred Astaire on film, bursting with four years of lateral quickness/movement potential.

Potential is his big word, we should all have such exciting pay days based on potential.

Pierre Desir was a head scratcher. A bargain basement reclamation project coming off a bad year. At 30 years of age, Desir is not at an ideal age for a cornerback looking to recapture past film room highlights.

These are the multiple reasons why this team sucks so badly, it's on Douglas, it's on Gase's  and Greg Williams not performing  miracles with terrible free agent replacements.

Maybe Douglas will look like a genius by December, right now he looks Idzikian.

• Upvote 1

Well, it looks like Dan Quinn will be available pretty soon if we want him:

NFL teams since 2015 have won 506 games and lost three when leading by more than 14 minutes in the final six minutes of regulation. Dan Quinn was the coach of two of those games

I'd love to see a stat that shows how many times Gase has led by more than 14 in the final six minutes. Or at any time in the game TBH.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

That quote just adds more pain.

You had a pass called but because one WR went down...you couldn’t do it anymore???? Is that the end of your playbook?! His excuses are almost as bad as his coaching. 

If you think 4th and 1 is bad, just think about 4th and 7.

Very few plays in the NFL that can pick up 7 whole yards!

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR says that Gase is protecting Sam because Sam didn’t see the alignment and change the play when he should have.  Gase takes all the hits from the media anyway, so he might as well take one for Darnold when he can. 

I would love for Gase to call out Sam as I think he needs a slap in the face, but whatever Gase is doing with Sam is working as he was a Top 10 PFF QB yesterday. 

SAR I

tenor.gif

Think about what this does to a young QB's psyche.  He gets to the line and sees a play (and not just this one, clearly there are times he isnt ALLOWED to audible) that isnt a good fit for what the defense is showing and he know he has to simply run it and hope for the best.  How on earth is that ok for a player's development.

Its amazing to me that Gase thinks offense is simply play design and not flow of the game, adjustments to the defense, etc.  He "had a play set for Perriman" - WTF does that mean, what if SF came out showing a double on perriman, is Sam supposed to force it to him?

Gase wont even be a coordinator again when this is all said and done.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1