Jets HC Search Already in Trouble (Matt Miller)

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

"You only get so many chances at these things" 

This reasoning goes both ways and if he were my agent, I would fire him. If one of the rarest jobs in the world opened up, and he is telling me to not interview because he thinks things MIGHT not work, he isnt working in my best interest. 

In football, someone that's a hot candidate one year could stay where they are at and be a laughingstock the very next season. It may very well be your only chance to take one of those jobs when it comes up. 

This is nonsense. 

(And even if you're slightly above average with the Jets, you're going to look like a savant) 

The agent’s argument is stupid because the Jets could have had the perceived #1 experienced coach in McCarthy and the #1 college coach in Rhule last offseason when the job was actually worse than it is now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The problem lies in the fact that the truly hot coach candidates want total control over player selection. So, unless they are really, really comfortable with JD, they say no thank you to any offer.

Right. 

IMO, the most realistic "hot candidate" for us is probably Roman - who likely has a relationship with Douglas and seems like a great fit with either Lawrence or Fields. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets are the only team offering you your first HC job, you probably say say yes. But, if you are comfortable in the belief that you will get future offers (Matt Ruhle), you say no. 

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is true but it does steer the top tier candidates away from us.

Like, the guys who have options won't pick the Jets. It's why we'll never get someone like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley -- they can pick their NFL gig, and if you can pick your NFL gig why would you pick the Jets?

Even Lane Kiffin (who has plenty of issues in his past and thus should be grateful for what he can get) was sh*tting on us.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, agents as a group have long been known for their honesty, objectivity and integrity.

As for Gase, it is clear he should be fired.  But who on the coaching staff could run an offense.  Williams would be a credible acting HC.  But there is no one who could run the offense.  And that is an indictment of Gase in and of itself.

Finally, when the Jets earn the #1 selection in the draft, I'm more for trading it.  There is still a reasonable chance for Darnold to develop.  This roster has so many holes.  Trading the #1 gives you a fair chance to fill some.

If the team develops, there are plenty of chances to bring in a competent veteran--Flacco and Bridgewater being examples--who could manage an otherwise strong roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Because he accepts that he knows nothing about hockey.

Agreed.  But to me, a great owner is one who hires a competent guy to run the operation for him, gives him plenty of financial resources to work with, and then stays out of his way.  Dolan does all 3 with the Rangers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

lol...like the Johnsons are going to fire Gase with 2 years left on a contract.

you don't get it....it's all about cash and they ain't gonna leave any on the table.

Gase will be back next year.

Johnson is not cheap.  He is just inept.  He lacks wisdom.  He lacks good judgment.  He knows nothing about anything.  He inherited a lot of money.  He accomplished nothing.  He is an empty suit who wants to be seen pissing with big boys.  He is a jock sniffer

• Upvote 4

WHY can't we get a coach that can get the players needed to get to the QB?

It has been approximately 30 years since we had a DEFENSIVE line that the OPPONENTS OFFENSIVE line was afraid of.

I am SICK AND TIRED of watching the opponents QB sitting in the pocket like he had all day to throw the ball.

At times it looks like the QB can unfold a beach chair and sun himself before any Jet gets to him

1.  Literally haven't seen one article (excluding Mehta's garbage) that cites people around the league complaining about Douglas.

2.  The amount of jobs that open around the league are so few that I would fire my agent (if I was a candidate) if they took that approach to the interview process.

This article is makes zero sense.

• Upvote 1

I still think we’ll have a good shot at a good coach, especially if we get the #1 or 2 pick. There is a lot of positives for a coach to walk into here:

- Potential to choose between Darnold or drafting your own guy high in the draft.

- Tons of cap space

- Joe Douglas who (despite some real hiccups thus far) is highly respected in the league. 

But what can’t be ignored are the facts that organizationally this team has been a joke, and the perception around the league for many is that this is not a desirable location.

I think Jim Harbaugh would make sense for us if he leaves Michigan. If agents are steering their about-to-be first time head coaches to other organizations, then we need someone with proven success who has the balls and brains to handle this place.

We are fans we look at the Jets through fan eyes

look at the Jets through agent eyes, like you have this commodity you've invested in, time money etc and the perspective becomes very different

this is a team that consistently finds the cheapest HCs and fires them early 

for players you either have to be overpaid mercinary like Trumaine Johnson or CJ mosely or draft/scout UDFA talent

all the players who "want to win" or "one last ring" won't play here 

it's narrow path

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

look at the Jets through agent eyes, like you have this commodity you've invested in, time money etc and the perspective becomes very different

for players you either have to be overpaid mercinary like Trumaine Johnson or CJ mosely or draft/scout UDFA talent

it's narrow path

Who got fired early in recent times?  Gase will be fired in 2 years but who besides that?  Maybe Mangini?  That was 12 years ago.

image.png.4fdfb08bafc1d7f137f949eb3ca0fd05.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who got fired early here in recent times?  Gase will be fired in 2 years but who besides that?  Maybe Mangini? 

Agreed. Herm, Rex, and Bowles all had plenty of time.

Mangini is the one that has always stood out to me because he had two winning years in three seasons. What did Mangini in was the embarrassing nature of the collapse from 8-3 to 9-7. But it is worth noting that he got fired after putting up the same record that Rex did a year later.  

Lawrence at QB means the new coach gets a "bye" for his first two years as Lawrence develops and we build a team around him.

I don't want a coach who is scared of not being able to develop a QB of Lawrence's potential over a two year period. 

Coaches should be fighting each other for this potential situation, not running from it.

Ownership means a lot.  I don't care, nor do I know anything about hockey, but look at the Islanders.  New owners, right away they hire the HOF GM and a championship HC.  

As for there being only a few of these jobs, that doesn't matter to the top tier guys.  They are going to want the right situation where they have say on personnel, can chose their own staff and ownership willing to spend $$$.  Given recent history and what we hear thru media and social media, Jets do not sound like that team.  

Gase is likely here till Woody comes back.  Woody IMO is going to want to go back in time.  He is either going to bring back Rex or try to lure Schotty away from Seattle.  

This has to be the lowest point in Jets history.  Can anyone actually look forward to any future season?  Every decision the Johnson's have made has not panned out.  They have no incentive to sell.  A losing NFL team still makes them richer by the year.  So what does a fan have to look forward to?  

The only thing I can think of is 3 hours of your life back on Sundays...that's about it for the foreseeable future, and I'm talking decades, not years unless something radically changes.  Sucks being a Jets fan.

29 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

1.  Literally haven't seen one article (excluding Mehta's garbage) that cites people around the league complaining about Douglas.

2.  The amount of jobs that open around the league are so few that I would fire my agent (if I was a candidate) if they took that approach to the interview process.

This article is makes zero sense.

Your take on this is puzzling. 

Accepting the Jets head coaching position under the Johnsons' ownership is like those poor guys trying to put out California wildfires.  Dig some ditches, spray some water, make a dent in it... but eventually everything burns.

It's why Belichick signed a napkin.  He knew it.

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who got fired early in recent times?  Gase will be fired in 2 years but who besides that?  Maybe Mangini?  That was 12 years ago.

Bowles was bought out early if memory serves 

I know this is going to sound insane to Jets fans but whatever this average is? 4 years and change - isn't a long time to employ a HC in the NFL 

the Bengals employed Marvin Lewis for like a million years

with far lower expectations 

Pittsburgh has had like 4 head coaches, ever.

again take off the fan glasses and put on the agent glasses 

Imagine Trevor Lawrence is your client. What team do you want him to be drafted by? 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

As per Matt Miller:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912333-jets-falcons-cant-be-patient-in-2020-nfl-hiring-cycle-after-bill-obrien-fired

The Jets, though, who knows with them because they've literally mangled every decision since Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan were given extensions [December 2017]."

Another factor that plays into this: some coaches will not want to coach for certain owners or in certain situations. Said the agent: "There are places I don't want my guys to go. Like, I'm not sending anyone to the Jets this offseason. There's no way I want my guy getting his first [head coaching] job with that organization. You only get so many chances at these things, so you need a good fit."

This doesn't bode well for the Jets, who have an unstable ownership situation and a general manager in Joe Douglas who isn't receiving rave reviews around the league for his decisions since taking the job in June 2019.

If we have the first pick - we will get our choice of head coaches.

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your take on this is puzzling. 

Accepting the Jets head coaching position under the Johnsons' ownership is like those poor guys trying to put out California wildfires.  Dig some ditches, spray some water, make a dent in it... but eventually everything burns.

It's why Belichick signed a napkin.  He knew it.

And yet Rex took it wholeheartedly and had the Jets to two with two AFC championships.  With that same bungled, incompetent ownership.  BB didn't take the Jets ownership because he couldn't afford unsettled situation.  He needed to know what he was getting.  No first time coach has the knowledge or bargainng position that they can turn down a head coaching job.  The risk comes with the position. So my take is not puzzling at all.  Cleveland was a dumpster fire worse than even we have been at times.  Did every single coaching candidates immediately retreat and start screaming night and day about the course of Bernie Kosar?  No.  It's a business.  There's is nothing inherently tragic built into each individual organization.  Some are in poor condition until the right amount of creative people take control.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

Want proof?

This has been going on with the Jets since 2000.  We always get the bottom-of-the barrel guy, always have a GM or HC or both that no one else would want.  In order to stop the hamster-wheel we are stuck on, ownership had to make a conscious decision to pick a HC/GM combo who like each other, will work together as partners, and are on the same schedule. 

We have that now.  Give them a chance to succeed.  1 draft and 1.25 seasons facing catastrophic injuries isn't enough time for AG and JD to show us anything.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I know this is going to sound insane to Jets fans but whatever this average is? 4 years and change - isn't a long time to employ a HC in the NFL 

Imagine Trevor Lawrence is your client. What team do you want him to be drafted by? 

Beyond laughable!  Pittsburgh's 4 coaches ever is completely unique in the NFL.  Marvin Lewis is an exception as well (though it's not like he won anything anyway).

You may as well bring up Bill Belichick too.  Gee, I wonder why the Pats have kept him as HC for the past 20 years?

How about Sean Payton?  John Harbaugh?  Andy Reid?  Pete Carroll? 

Do you notice a pattern?  Teams tend to not fire great HCs.  The rest of the NFL is in a constant search to find the right HC.  Let me make a bold prediction that Buffalo and Miami will keep their HC next year!

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

The top guys do...the guys who don't - Todd Bowles, Adam Gase level guys

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Uh, try again.  About 2/3 of the NFL has hired a coach in 2017 or after.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/05/longest-tenured-head-coaches-in-the-nfl

image.png.ef654cf3641908d0234f42360d2f737a.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's narrow path

Well, why would a player that wants one last ring go to a team that never makes the postseason. If the team is good, players will come here. Tomlinson, Thomas Jones, Holmes, Edwards, Jason Taylor, all came here. It used to be that good players would like the responsibility of turning around a team's fortunes. Guys like Adams prefer to go to already established teams because they know they aren't good enough to make a difference on a bad one.