Perriman has more TDs than Robby Anderson

BroadwayRay

Robbie is a good receiver but not great.  Probably worth about what the panthers are paying him.  His production has also fallen off as the season progressed.  As for Perriman, he’s made some big time catches and we’ll have to see how the rest of the season goes to gage whether or not he should be brought back. This is another case where there may be enough good players at the position so they won’t have to use a draft pick to fill it.  And as Mims gets better a guy like Perriman will benefit too.  The key is to keep both guys on the field at the same time and have an oline that can pass protect.

As for darnold he’s been injured since the Denver game and his shoulder just isn’t right. If he had a decent long ball it’s going to be a lot worse now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

7 catches, 46 yards, 6.6 avg yesterday for Rob. Did they move him to fullback? 

I been telling yall for WEEKS he is running all the underneath crossing stuff...   andthe other guys the deeper routes,

thus, the increase in catch % and drop in YPC and TDs...   

30 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

3 v 1 in far fewer games. Also has a 15 yard per catch average vs 11 for Robby. 

He’s played well since returning from injury. Playing with a QB with decent deep ball accuracy has also helped. 

I hope the Jets resign him. 

Also, I’ve had enough of hearing about how Darnold has sucked because he doesn’t have good receivers. Perriman is evidence that it works both ways — our good receivers are going to waste because they don’t have a good QB. This was the case when Robby was here, too. 

I have to say one thing about this. Flacco is getting much better protection than Sam had. He is also getting better protection than he had against Atlanta and Miami. The OL is doing a better job now than earlier which is allowing the receivers to get down field and take the deep shots. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I have to say one thing about this. Flacco is getting much better protection than Sam had. He is also getting better protection than he had against Atlanta and Miami. The OL is doing a better job now than earlier which is allowing the receivers to get down field and take the deep shots. 

Just by throwing deep every now and then , it backs the D off the LOS which as a byproduct gives the QB a tad more time. Problem is twofold with Sam , 1) Some games he never even threw a deep ball. 2) He holds the ball way too long .  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Just by throwing deep every now and then , it backs the D off the LOS which as a byproduct gives the QB a tad more time. Problem is twofold with Sam , 1) Some games he never even threw a deep ball. 2) He holds the ball way too long .  

Yeah, but earlier the defense was beating the OL at the snap. Now it takes a few seconds. Edoga is even starting to give me hope. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perriman is exactly what I thought he'd be:  A decent WR3/WR4 and capable Anderson replacement for a lower price.  Not as good as Anderson, no.  But a decent, cheap replacement.  

Who has durability issues. Ironic because the once thing I thought would happen with Robby is that he would break down physically. Just didn't see him holding up with his lack of size. Hasn't been an issue for him.

For the record I don't have any problem that they let him go. The time he threw his helmet on the field years ago, I was done with him then. Just pointing out that the Jets are 0 and 10 and they let one of the leading NFL receivers walk. Along with the QB throwing him the ball. Ironic.

• Upvote 2

Perriman is a decent 3rd/4th option on a team, when he's available he can make plays but far too often he isn't. Add a real WR1 via FA or draft another high level prospect and I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a cheap deal. As you see this year, a couple bad hammies and the WR depth chart looks dire

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Everyone keeps overlooking the fact that Robbie went to play for his old College coach at Temple (Rhule). The Jets would have had to overpay to keep him here which didn't make any sense. Perriman is everything Robbie is and more , when he is healthy. 

He really isn't.  Perriman has never been as good as Anderson and he certainly has not been very good here.  He's had a much nicer stretch, but c'mon.  Anderson got 7 catches in a win and you guys are making fun of him?  It would be amusing if it weren't so common.

37 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Robby also isn't Carolina's only halfway decent target. 

Neither is Perriman the only halfway decent target here.  Crowder and Mims are proving very capable receivers.

If Anderson were the only capable target in Carolina, then the excuse for a downturn in play would be he's getting all the attention from opposing secondaries.  That was the excuse here when he was the WR1, after all.

I like both players. I hated to see Robby go, but was happy with getting Perriman. 

I hope the best for Robby down there, and hope we can bring back Perriman. I think he will make an excellent piece to the puzzle for the 2021 season. The question is whether he will want to come back though. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Neither is Perriman the only halfway decent target here.  Crowder and Mims are proving very capable receivers.

If Anderson were the only capable target in Carolina, then the excuse for a downturn in play would be he's getting all the attention from opposing secondaries.  That was the excuse here when he was the WR1, after all.

No, the excuse here is our QBs sucked. Instead it was put out there that he was a WR3 at best; a one-trick pony who was incapable of running anything other than a go route.

He's not Hopkins or Julio, but he's also not getting paid even half what those guys make (for all the "he's not a true #1" straw man stuff; no one ever said he was, and he isn't getting paid like one either). 

The team would be better with him than without him, and isn't in a demonstrably better position in terms of FA spending ability because of the extra $10MM cap hit to a sure starter. A sure starter whose contract isn't even skill-guaranteed past this season anyway. And it's not like Adams, because while the roster was better with him this year, it's better off long term without him, his ~$20MM demands with 2+ years fully guaranteed, plus the multiple dirt cheap late 1st rounders and more in his stead. With Anderson the "loss" is just a moderate starter salary (not an amount that'd hamper the team's spending ability in any season) and I guess his roster spot. 

He's long gone. It was a stupid move to not extend him midseason last year but it's done. So far JD is pushing at least B+ or higher grades in the draft and in making trades, but a D to an F in FA. I think he can and will improve on that. 

• Upvote 2

Also, Robbo has 37 first downs,more thanhe has had in all 4 previous full seasons.

He has one less FD than DJ Moore, and 13 more than Samuel.

His role in Caro is more possession, help move the sticks.

They are looking for DJ More for the chunkier plays. As you may expect, he has a higher YPC and more TDs, but a significantly lower catch rate as well. Although a higher % of FD cos theplays are deeper.

Robbo catch % is still... 74.7%  

DJ moore- 57.5%

He's playing his role, whcih is different than it had been here as a NYJ.  shrug. Solid NFL WR2/3.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, 2 things with that.

#1, you had 5 new starters who needed time to gel.

#2, maybe Sam isn't very good at picking up pressure, and making pre snap adjustments to better protect against that pressure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1