5 YEAR WINDOW

PepPep

JD is signed for another 5 seasons and Saleh signed a 5 year deal. A lot of Jet fans are talking about a slow re-build, trading down, adding draft picks, building through the draft, punting on a QB until next year or the year after that. I'm not so sure that's what we will see. I think we will see JD aggressively re-build so this team can compete ASAP. Drafting a QB THIS year at #2 or attempting a trade for Watson. Either way, they'll have a potential FQB for the next 5 seasons. 

I think JD will spend more in FA than people think and we should expect a sense of urgency, and positions like QB, O-line and Edge WILL be addressed long term sooner than later. If not this offseason then by next offseason. 

I would expect the Jets to attempt to build a contender in the next two offseasons and attempt to push for a title in the next 5. Otherwise, it's time to re-build again.

*Sidenote: Of course, JD and Saleh can get extensions. But you can imagine, if they don't put together a winning product, they be brought back.   

• Post of the Week 2

The thing that troubles me the most is that Woody is back. In the past, he has tried to make the "big splash," Tebow, bringing back Revis, etc. He's one who never looks past the last headlines. Ironically, the Jets are now getting the best press they have, really, since hiring Parcells. I hope that Chris can convince him that JD has a definite plan, and to allow it to unfold. I can just see Woody telling JD that we have to get Watson, no matter the cost.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it may take 5 seasons but i don't think that means anymore 2-14 seasons.  they really have to get to 8-8 real soon with a good chance to make 10-6 or 11-5.  this shouldn't take 5 seasons.

Agreed. Having Watson and adding some pieces in FA and young players at 23 & 34 plus our two 3rd round picks we should be able to get to 8-8 this upcoming season. Add more talent in ‘22 draft and pieces in FA and maybe we’re in the 10-12 win category barring injuries of course. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

JD is signed for another 5 seasons and Saleh signed a 5 year deal. A lot of Jet fans are talking about a slow re-build, trading down, adding draft picks, building through the draft, punting on a QB until next year or the year after that. I'm not so sure that's what we will see. I think we will see JD aggressively re-build so this team can compete ASAP. Drafting a QB THIS year at #2 or attempting a trade for Watson. Either way, they'll have a potential FQB for the next 5 seasons. 

Curious about how you came to that conclusion. They have nothing but time, and a clean slate to boot. Everything out of the front office suggests the exact opposite of what you’re saying here. No over committing money to over paid FAs, and no sense of urgency at QB. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not seeing it as a win quickly, take short cuts now kind of build.  They have 5 years and a history that shows everyone that a quick hit, band-aid rebuild doesnt work.  The Jets have to lay the basis for an ongoing build, one logic, step at a time.  Not with big money, splash moves for the short term.  

Or exactly what JD has been preaching from day 1

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it may take 5 seasons but i don't think that means anymore 2-14 seasons.  they really have to get to 8-8 real soon with a good chance to make 10-6 or 11-5.  this shouldn't take 5 seasons.

There will be 17 game seasons going forward(until they move to the 18 game schedule and get rid of playoff byes).

I see no reason the Jets can't be at least a 7-8 win team next year. These 3-4 year rebuilds aren't really a thing anymore.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They have 5 years but need to win now????????  This makes zero sense.  Having 5 means means they can be super patient and do this the right way.

Jets fans?  Patience?

LOL.  The fanbase that started flying planes and buying billboards after their head coach here less than a month lost his quarterback to mono and half his roster to soft tissue injuries.  Yeah, they're down for a lethargic rebuild.  Sure.  Definitely.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

The thing that troubles me the most is that Woody is back. In the past, he has tried to make the "big splash," Tebow, bringing back Revis, etc. He's one who never looks past the last headlines. Ironically, the Jets are now getting the best press they have, really, since hiring Parcells. I hope that Chris can convince him that JD has a definite plan, and to allow it to unfold. I can just see Woody telling JD that we have to get Watson, no matter the cost.

Jets record under CJ, is 18-46.   Some of the worst FO moves in Jets history.  That covers alot.

I just hope CJ goes back to tennis, and we never see him again.  Just like we didn't see him the first 16 years the Johnsons owned the Jets

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets fans?  Patience?

LOL.  The fanbase that started flying planes and buying billboards after their head coach here less than a month lost his quarterback to mono and half his roster to soft tissue injuries.  Yeah, they're down for a lethargic rebuild.  Sure.  Definitely.

SAR I

They were right though.  Probably not the best example to use.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets fans?  Patience?

SAR I

To be fair most people didn't want Gase because of his stint in Miami. Robert Saleh may or not be a great head coach but he will certainly get a chance to prove it. Gase should have never gotten another head coaching job after Miami. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Chris can go to their mom since she owns a third.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

If they draft a QB at 2 they'll buy themselves another year to get this thing going.  Next year is a young QB learning the ropes..5 to 6 wins.

Year after they go to the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Gase was a 1 year get through the burning of the roster coach. A sacrificial lamb if you will. This is the start of JDs rebuild with the Coach he wanted & the assets to build the team the way they want. 

Amazing that we had to wait a year just to rid ourselves of 3 ridiculously bad contracts in Trumaine Johnson, Le'veon Bell & don't forget Quincy "cracked neck" Enunwa! 

JD will do it his way.  That means he will look for value.  There may be some prime FA's that will take a discount in a tight year and sign multi year deals.  Gives Jets an immediate boost.  Saleh may prove an important selling point to those FA's.  OTOH, some of those prime PA's may look elsewhere and absorb cap $ from other teams.  If so, JD may opt to sign several mid level FA's but preserve cap $ going in to next year.

Either way, Jets will be better next year because of the signings.  JD will let the market determine his strategy.  I think JD wants to contend for playoff spot in 2022.

I guess that's the hidden benefit of inheriting such a terrible roster.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If they draft a QB at 2 they'll buy themselves another year to get this thing going.  Next year is a young QB learning the ropes..5 to 6 wins.

Year after they go to the playoffs.

If they jets take a qb at 2 and he has a promising rookie season but it only equates to 4 wins, that would be the best case scenario for this team.

If we have high picks in every round of the 2022 draft, watch out!  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They were right though.  Probably not the best example to use.

Jets fans are always "right" because the guy that gets fired never has a decent enough roster to succeed.  Not talking about Gase, talking about them all.  For once I'd love us to have a plan and stick to it no matter what happens.  Saleh is an energetic rah rah guy, but if he opens 0-4 or the team goes 2-14 I have no expectation that this fanbase will sit by quietly.  They never do.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Jets fans are always "right" because the guy that gets fired never has a decent enough roster to succeed.  Not talking about Gase, talking about them all.  For once I'd love us to have a plan and stick to it no matter what happens.  Saleh is an energetic rah rah guy, but if he opens 0-4 or the team goes 2-14 I have no expectation that this fanbase will sit by quietly.  They never do.

SAR I

DB625DB0-4EEF-4272-B955-1FFC9D7AFB67.gif

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair most people didn't want Gase because of his stint in Miami. Robert Saleh may or not be a great head coach but he will certainly get a chance to prove it. Gase should have never gotten another head coaching job after Miami. 

I'm no longer in the business of defending Gase but we don't know that to be true.  The Jets are Siberia for NFL head coaches.  We ruined Pete Carroll and chased Bill Belichick away, we hired people like Herm Edwards and Rex Ryan, we're not exactly the best judge of NFL head coaching talent.

SAR I