Good interview with Zach Wilson

JohnnyLV

This will be JD's legacy on the line. Nobody can predict of course, but this has to be the most important decision in his career.

I would be tempted to draft a QB and keeping Darnold. Darnold's stock could rise or decline as a trading chip down the road. If Darnold shines, we could keep or trade the rookie QB. It's is all a crapshoot and a tough decision either way.

JD is in a good spot overall but the QB decision in particular will determine his true legacy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Comes across as sincere, level headed, honest and intelligent. Personality a little like Sam. Explains the Captain thing and it seems more like a positive than a negative.

Personality a little like Sam.

You had to go and ruin it didn’t you ??‍♂️

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Comes across as sincere, level headed, honest and intelligent. Personality a little like Sam. Explains the Captain thing and it seems more like a positive than a negative.

How is it a positive that he had a tough year last year, and only got the start after a QB competition? BYUs regular schedule chewed this guy up. He only started to rise after a year of playing Northern Minnesota Culinary Institute and the like. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jetsbb said:

It looks like he has packed on the pounds. Wouldn't be surprised if he weighs 220 at the pro day\

i.png

He very we may. These guys have all had an extra month to prepare for NFL workouts. Everything he does from here on out has been scripted to improve his draft stock. 

All I care about with the next QB is that he has a bit of a TUDE... Not the kind that turns off players, one that gets his teammates to run through a wall for him. That and of course he turns into a great QB. All things considered, our next QB (unless it's Watson) should sit for a year at least and not be fed to the wolves especially if it's a drafted one.

• Upvote 1

Wilson's pro day will be very interesting from a body/frame perspective.  If his 
"team" is smart they've been re-shaping his body during this period.  An increase
of 5-10 pounds of muscle on his frame will be important to see

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

How is it a positive that he had a tough year last year, and only got the start after a QB competition? BYUs regular schedule chewed this guy up. He only started to rise after a year of playing Northern Minnesota Culinary Institute and the like. 

People don't get it.  I like Wilson, I do!!

But if the Jets draft him he probably has to sit at LEAST A YEAR!!!  This idea that Wilson is ready right now is madness.  Wilson was AWFUL until this abbreviated truncated schedule against weak opponents. So Yes, Wilson was good this year but again he was AWFUL before this year.

People say but he was injured last year.  Ok so injury's and Wilson's play don't count in the analysis of Wilson but they do count against NFL players? How does that make sense? 

IMO, like I said about Darnold & Sanchez if the Jets draft Wilson then they SHOULDN'T be starting him. What disturbs me is the same people who are clamoring for Wilson now will be calling him a BUM if he isn't the best QB in the world after a year and half.

Again, I like Wilson but to start him next year is a GREAT GREAT RISK and one the Jets shouldn't take !!!

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

This will be JD's legacy on the line. Nobody can predict of course, but this has to be the most important decision in his career.

I would be tempted to draft a QB and keeping Darnold. Darnold's stock could rise or decline as a trading chip down the road. If Darnold shines, we could keep or trade the rookie QB. It's is all a crapshoot and a tough decision either way.

JD is in a good spot overall but the QB decision in particular will determine his true legacy.

If JD is smart, he milks the GM job and takes his time building the team and giving the coach a chance to install his systems before immediately starting the clock with a risky rookie QB. Even a bad rookie QB can go .500 with a good team.

• Upvote 2

Something about this kid and his sudden rise to QB #2 just screams Mitchell Trubisky. I know Fields has to have a chip on his shoulder the size of Brooklyn after everything he’s gone through this season. If I was a betting man my money is on Justin becoming the best QB In this entire class 

That chip is actually in his ass from where he had it handed to him.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

35 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

But if the Jets draft him he probably has to sit at LEAST A YEAR!!!  This idea that Wilson is ready right now is madness.  Wilson was AWFUL until this abbreviated truncated schedule against weak opponents. So Yes, Wilson was good this year but again he was AWFUL before this year.

People say but he was injured last year.  Ok so injury's and Wilson's play don't count in the analysis of Wilson but they do count against NFL players? How does that make sense? 

IMO, like I said about Darnold & Sanchez if the Jets draft Wilson then they SHOULDN'T be starting him. What disturbs me is the same people who are clamoring for Wilson now will be calling him a BUM if he isn't the best QB in the world after a year and half.

Again, I like Wilson but to start him next year is a GREAT GREAT RISK and one the Jets shouldn't take !!!

Very hard statement to make since we have seen some QB's just come in and light it up and others fail miserably. You really can't answer this question until you get the guy in camp and see how he responds to the speed of the game. Russel Wilson is a prime example when the Seahawks shocked everyone and started him as a rookie.

FWIW I think the Jets should keep Darnold (as camp competition) Trade the number 2 OA and draft Mac Jones and surround him with talent. I expect Jones to either beat Darnold outright for the position or take over sometime mid season. 

With the picks accumulated from what we currently have and the trade of 2 OA we could easily get a WR RB and a few OL in rounds 1 and 2 alone add a guy like Allen Robinson to that mix and you have a very solid Offense . If Mosely comes back in shape and ready to play you add a guy like Hendrickson and maybe a few more corners via the draft and this franchise would be on the right track very quickly. The other option is to only add Hendrickson and get a few more WR's via the draft and have a completely rebuilt offense that's home grown and we wont have to worry about the big contract guy mailing it in on offense.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

And if Sam loses a couple of games out of the gate, he’ll be called a bum, too. Sometimes you have to roll the dice. 

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Very hard statement to make since we have seen some QB's just come in and light it up and others fail miserably. You really can't answer this question until you get the guy in camp and see how he responds to the speed of the game. Russel Wilson is a prime example when the Seahawks shocked everyone and started him as a rookie.

FWIW I think the Jets should keep Darnold (as camp competition) Trade the number 2 OA and draft Mac Jones and surround him with talent. I expect Jones to either beat Darnold outright for the position or take over sometime mid season. 

With the picks accumulated from what we currently have and the trade of 2 OA we could easily get a WR RB and a few OL in rounds 1 and 2 alone add a guy like Allen Robinson to that mix and you have a very solid Offense . If Mosely comes back in shape and ready to play you add a guy like Hendrickson and maybe a few more corners via the draft and this franchise would be on the right track very quickly. The other option is to only add Hendrickson and get a few more WR's via the draft and have a completely rebuilt offense that's home grown and we wont have to worry about the big contract guy mailing it in on offense.

Average to below average arm strength, and that's playing in warm weather. Not even close to what is needed in these parts. Hard pass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

This has never been done before - trading down and bypassing every QB on the board and then taking the 5th ranked QB later in the first.

This would be a BOLD move for sure.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

All I care about with the next QB is that he has a bit of a TUDE... Not the kind that turns off players, one that gets his teammates to run through a wall for him. That and of course he turns into a great QB. All things considered, our next QB (unless it's Watson) should sit for a year at least and not be fed to the wolves especially if it's a drafted one.

If that qb is the #2 overall, he has to start.  It's expected from a pick that high.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Average to below average arm strength, and that's playing in warm weather. Not even close to what is needed in these parts. Hard pass.

you do realize we will be incorporating a WCO which never called for a monster arm. Mac Jones has a good arm its certainly not terrible and he's a smart QB along with the fact we can surround him with loads of talent fairly quickly makes me lean in that direction

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Good Post!

I agree with essentially everything in your post.  I too like Jones a lot!  He has grown on me.....

But IMO Mac Jones is NOT Wilson! 

Jones played against better competition, is a standard pocket passer who has shown excellent accuracy to all levels of the field and poise against elite college defenses..  To me, you could start Jones but Wilson I would not as I would start Burrows but not Darnold, guys with limited college reps or coming from small conferences I do not start right away.  Hence I would sit a Mahomes earlier whom I loved or Trey Lance whom I love, not because I think that they are a limited talent but because I want them to achieve greatness.!!

At the end of the day, if you have a QB that you believe in and whom you believe can be a FQB than treat them as such and not as we have Darnold recently, Smith and to a lesser extent Sanchez.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

Ozzie Newsome drafted QB Kyle Boller in the 1st rd who was a bust did that destroy his legacy?? 

• Upvote 1