JN. I'm confused.

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

Still plenty of room on the Zach Wilson train*. All aboard.

*Terms and conditions apply. Anyone who said mean things about Zach on the 'Zach Wilson is a bum' thread may be refused entry. 

the-most-crowded-train.jpg

lol, this is so perfectly apt for twitter right now

Russell Wilson, why do people even go there? This isn't the '94 New York Rangers where the entire team was plug and play. It's not a fit at all. 

I won't be destroyed as a Jets fan if Sam is retained. If he suddenly finds himself and blossoms under the right tutelage all the more to revel in how much Adam Gase truly and totally blew. I do realize a ton of fans are convinced that is beyond the realm of possibility, and that's fine.

If the Jets move on, I won't be destroyed, either; but I can't say I'm looking forward to doing the same dance all over again. 

I stopped caring about Watson. I know that's a wildly unpopular thing to say, but I don't care about that, either.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

There should not be any confusion. We either retain the SOJ and redundant mentality by failing this off-season or we will become a brand new and reputable team by nailing the draft and QB controversy. Either way, this off season will be one of the most important in the history of this organization. Keep your fingers crossed, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

One thing that I loved about Trevor Lawrence was our draft capital and cap space in order to immediately build a dynamic offense around him. 

I love Watson. But to give away 3 first round picks + a 2nd etc? I fear he wouldn't stand a chance. How could we build around him after throwing away A++ draft capital for him? 

Exactly that's why this idea should be completely thrown out the window.

So our choice comes down to Sam and whatever quarterback might we take at number two.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It's the Jets.  Initially whatever we do hate it.  Start to warm up to it to the point that you're defending it.  Completely buy in and get a little giddy.  Fund a clown car and giant banner when it finally goes all wrong. 

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

As a fan, I have no idea who I want @ QB. 

Justin Fields vs. Zach Wilson? 

Deshaun Watson vs. Russell Wilson?

Trade down from #2 overall and receive an A+ haul in order to build around Sam? 

I'm confused JN. I have no idea what I want our Jets to do. 

Sorry, but I need at least 2 jpeg's to understand what you are trying to say

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yes. But what about his awful season before this year? What about his multiple surgeries to his shoulders? What about the fact how he only looked good this year vs. lackluster opponents and opponents who will never sniff the NFL?

I like the kids playing style but I fear he has more red flags and potential question marks to the point of #2 overall being risky. 

The team surrounding him vs the opponents should factor into this equation. Clemson, Alabama are stacked teams in relation to the competition they play.

My guess is you haven't watched any of his games.

Trevor Lawrence is having the same surgery to his shoulder, from what I understand.

You can't discount the very last thing a player does as if he somehow just happened to get lucky. And here is his 2019:

• Prior to breaking his thumb against Toledo, Wilson was on pace to throw for the most yards by any BYU Quarterback since Max Hall. At the time Wilson went out for injury, BYU's strength of schedule was ranked #7 in the country after their game against Toledo. Wilson was moving the football against some really good teams.
  • Wilson led BYU to a comeback victory against Tennessee and an overtime win against USC.
  • Zach Wilson had shoulder surgery before the 2019 season. During spring ball, Coach Roderick stated that Wilson only had one week of complete participation in practice prior to the Utah game. Wilson had very little time to prepare for the 2019 season.
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maybe it’s because Douglas is trying to build a complete team?  He may be trying to reduce the need to get a top flight QB by bolstering the oline and skill positions.  This may be the way the nfl is going.  I don’t think we’ll be seeing as many QBs hanging onto their jobs for so long.

• Sympathy 1

It isn't  often we agree but this is exactly how I feel. You can't  miss on the 2nd pick. Blowing this pick would set the franchise back 5 years  and considering  we are already about a decade behind (thank you Mac and Idzik) I would feel 100% better about snagging Smith and drafting Lance or Jones with the 23rd than a swing at fences with a one year wonder. 

• Haha 1

Easy one - You want Zach Wilson!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Well this thread is not spicy enough...

...everybody who wanted Josh Rosen raise your hands. 

Then go and stand in the corner...facing the wall. 

Proud to say I really hated Rosen as a prospect.

However, I also didn't rate Josh Allen so there's that too.

I wanted Darnold or Mayfield in that draft.

In this one, I like Fields and Jones, am a bit nervous about Wilson and Lance - though certainly intrigued by their talent.

Football 101... Build the team from the ground up, just like you build a building. Trenches first, then skill players. Once the foundation is there, you can add, and/or subtract as needed.

So for this draft it would mean trading down from #2, to get more picks, and also, working the draft up and down to get the players you target. Do not let the draft this year come to you. Work it baby lol...

• Post of the Week 1

It's OK. A lot of women experience those same feelings usually in college.....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Football 101... Build the team from the ground up, just like you build a building. Trenches first, then skill players. Once the foundation is there, you can add, and/or subtract as needed.

So for this draft it would mean trading down from #2, to get more picks, and also, working the draft up and down to get the players you target. Do not let the draft this year come to you. Work it baby lol...

good post. However, that doesn't mean we can't and some playmakers along the way or theoretically kill two birds with one stone. Kyle Pitts is essentially that kind of player. He's an OL which is exactly what the Jets are hard up for and he's a playmaker. That's something else the Jets sorely need....

The good thing about not having a specific position is that you can find the upside in whatever we end up doing. It's the "this guy or bust" fans that have the hardest time in the draft and usually end up disappointed / hating the guy we do end up with.

So take it easy, and get ready to jump on whichever bandwagon we eventually decide upon. :-) 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

So all guards, centers and nose tackles this year? What are we spending the free agent money on? Same?

Any timeline on getting a real QB in here?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

The team surrounding him vs the opponents should factor into this equation. Clemson, Alabama are stacked teams in relation to the competition they play.

My guess is you haven't watched any of his games.

Trevor Lawrence is having the same surgery to his shoulder, from what I understand.

You can't discount the very last thing a player does as if he somehow just happened to get lucky. And here is his 2019:

• Prior to breaking his thumb against Toledo, Wilson was on pace to throw for the most yards by any BYU Quarterback since Max Hall. At the time Wilson went out for injury, BYU's strength of schedule was ranked #7 in the country after their game against Toledo. Wilson was moving the football against some really good teams.
  • Wilson led BYU to a comeback victory against Tennessee and an overtime win against USC.
  • Zach Wilson had shoulder surgery before the 2019 season. During spring ball, Coach Roderick stated that Wilson only had one week of complete participation in practice prior to the Utah game. Wilson had very little time to prepare for the 2019 season.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Here's a novel thought.... why not hedge our bet?

Draft Wilson and keep Sam. Play Sam this year and sit Wilson behind him to learn for a year... unless Wilson is lights out in camp, then of course you go with him. If that does happen, Sam could be traded to a team early to replace an injured QB, or at worst, we trade away the one we don't want next year. Maybe this would light a fire under Sam's ass.

Regardless, I will trust JD to make the right decision.

1 hour ago, Jet Blast said:

Here's a novel thought.... why not hedge our bet?

Draft Wilson and keep Sam. Play Sam this year and sit Wilson behind him to learn for a year... unless Wilson is lights out in camp, then of course you go with him. If that does happen, Sam could be traded to a team early to replace an injured QB, or at worst, we trade away the one we don't want next year. Maybe this would light a fire under Sam's ass.

Regardless, I will trust JD to make the right decision.

Meh, if the team has it in mind to draft Wilson then negotiate a trade for Darnold before teams know for certain - and they will know it for certain - that he’s not your QB of the future anymore, and instead turn their eyes to trading for a cleaner slate (no NFL failure yet) with 3 additional cheap years. Assuming Darnold has a 2nd round trade value, I don’t see the value in using that pick on another year of Darnold instead of using it to help the new QB you’ve drafted or shore up some of the awful personnel on defense. The only thing that stops that from being a major regret is if Darnold suddenly emerges as a consensus top 10 QB in 2021. Anything less is a wasted pick.

The main issue with Wilson as a prospect is the uncertainty about his past accomplishments - too little of them, and those that he’s had came against pretty weak competition - not that he needs to sit for a year to work on fixing his mechanics or something. Plus throw in some concern about his body not holding up to NFL punishment, but that’s not a reason to sit him after drafting him. Whether he is ultimately good or a bust, sitting here before the draft those are legitimate concerns. But if you draft him anyway then the only reason to sit him is because he’s injured or is spectacularly failing to grasp things mentally & you won’t realize that until teams’ meetings, practices, & preseason games well after the draft

Barring injury, he’s starting as a rookie no matter where he lands.

Sit him out for the first few weeks or so, maybe just to do it & because he’s unaccustomed to anywhere near this level of competition, but definitely not the whole season. If he’s not the goods, it’s best to start finding that out as early as possible, and find out what most needs addressing with him for 2022 rather than guessing, where the team’s not still on the fence with him in years 3-4. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It isn't  often we agree but this is exactly how I feel. You can't  miss on the 2nd pick. Blowing this pick would set the franchise back 5 years  and considering  we are already about a decade behind (thank you Mac and Idzik) I would feel 100% better about snagging Smith and drafting Lance or Jones with the 23rd than a swing at fences with a one year wonder. 

IF THey took zach at 2 and he busts, but they draft well aside from that pick, it would not set us back 5 years. always a decent vet that could manage games.

I dont share that same doom and gloom scenario. mac, fields and lance can also bust and LANCE btw is just as risky as zach but with a lower ceiling

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, if the team has it in mind to draft Wilson then negotiate a trade for Darnold before teams know for certain - and they will know it for certain - that he’s not your QB of the future anymore, and instead turn their eyes to trading for a cleaner slate (no NFL failure yet) with 3 additional cheap years. Assuming Darnold has a 2nd round trade value, I don’t see the value in using that pick on another year of Darnold instead of using it to help the new QB you’ve drafted or shore up some of the awful personnel on defense. The only thing that stops that from being a major regret is if Darnold suddenly emerges as a consensus top 10 QB in 2021. Anything less is a wasted pick.

The main issue with Wilson as a prospect is the uncertainty about his past accomplishments - too little of them, and those that he’s had came against pretty weak competition - not that he needs to sit for a year to work on fixing his mechanics or something. Plus throw in some concern about his body not holding up to NFL punishment, but that’s not a reason to sit him after drafting him. Whether he is ultimately good or a bust, sitting here before the draft those are legitimate concerns. But if you draft him anyway then the only reason to sit him is because he’s injured or is spectacularly failing to grasp things mentally & you won’t realize that until teams’ meetings, practices, & preseason games well after the draft

Barring injury, he’s starting as a rookie no matter where he lands.

Sit him out for the first few weeks or so, maybe just to do it & because he’s unaccustomed to anywhere near this level of competition, but definitely not the whole season. If he’s not the goods, it’s best to start finding that out as early as possible, and find out what most needs addressing with him for 2022 rather than guessing, where the team’s not still on the fence with him in years 3-4. 

You make some very good points, but I disagree on a few counts...

You say you don't want to lose Sam's trade value and would prefer to use that value to put another piece around him. I say that is commendable, but the cost we would pay I consider to be "insurance" to ensure we have a usable QB. Even without trading Sam, we still have plenty of draft picks and cap space to acquire free agents. While an additional 2nd rounder should yield another starter, I think the "insurance" is worth the cost. Although Sam could lose value in a year, as you point out, I don't think all would be lost. He is still likely to retain SOME value, albeit a 3rd or 4th round pick.

To me, the main purpose of letting Sam play for the first year is to get a better idea of what we have in him- not to let Wilson learn behind him. Wilson learning, is just an added benefit. Then, hopefully, an educated decision could be made on who to keep.

Of course there is always a risk that neither would pan out, but I like the odds in this case.