Jump to content

Schrager Mock Draft 2.0. Would you move up for O Line?


Recommended Posts

Schrager does pretty well on his second mock draft as he's well connected. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

I tried to copy/paste but the site is not allowing me to. 

 

When the Jets Pick he is projecting all of the below lineman to be gone. 

Sewell

Slater 

AVT

Darrisaw

Jenkins 

 

 

For those of you hoping for an offensive lineman its looking like we will need to move up or you're staring at a defensive player. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how connected he is anymore after looking at that mock. Caleb Farley at 23 would be a disaster. Dude is 1 hit away from being out a season with back injury.

I'd be ok trading up a few spots if possible to get one of those 5 guys, however, if not possible, i'd be fine staying put and taking Humphrey/Toney/Paye/Newsome. Assuming we take a defensive player at 23, 34 MUST be oline (hopefully either Humphrey or Davis)

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems very possible that's what we'll need to do to grab one of the top OL. I'm not necessarily against it but presumably we're flipping 34 for a lower pick at a minimum in order to do so. 

Sadly there are a lot of OL needy teams both in front of us (and right behind us, ready to jump) so it really comes down to how valuable JD perceives a given lineman to be.

AVT and Darrisaw feel like pipe dreams, I think we're hoping Tevan Jenkins is there for us and if not, pivot to another position where the talent is falling to us.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Jets Gm in the jetnation mock draft did indeed move up to get an olineman (slater)

If you are a good GM you move around in the draft and meet your needs.  We badly want a premium olineman?  Move up.

No olineman of that value there for us at 23 after failing to move up?  Move down and take an olineman.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I would trade up. My targets would be Slater at 10-12 or Teven Jenkins at 17.

Giving up a 2nd might be a little rich and too early for us with how much talent we need. So I’d focus on Jenkins.

Teven Jenkins would be a great fit and can start at RG for us right away and eventually move to RT. He’s a badass.

23 and 66 for 17 and 121.

Draft Teven Jenkins. Like Becton, he’ll protect the QB and open up huge lanes in the running game.

If we stay put and the value for OL is not there, I’m hoping for Kwity Paye. Build a fierce and deep front four. Then go offense the rest of the draft.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they have a certain amount of spots they slot certain guys that are worth moving up for.  No they're not gonna jump to #8 but if it's pick 18 and AVT is still on the board, could be time to get on the phone. 

With that said, i'd be totally fine moving down a bit, getting more picks and taking a corner or OL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our Jets Gm in the jetnation mock draft did indeed move up to get an olineman (slater)

If you are a good GM you move around in the draft and meet your needs.  We badly want a premium olineman?  Move up.

No olineman of that value there for us at 23 after failing to move up?  Move down and take an olineman.

I saw that and thought it was a really good move. We need premium talent at premium positions. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A back injury seems like a pretty big deal for a CB.  I'm inclined to think that Douglas won't want to use a first round pick on a CB with a recent injury history.  Although if he comes back at full strength it would be a great pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A back injury seems like a pretty big deal for a CB.  I'm inclined to think that Douglas won't want to use a first round pick on a CB with a recent injury history.  Although if he comes back at full strength it would be a great pick.

A back injury seems like a pretty deal for me and I work in customer service. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In this specific scenario where the top 5 OTs are off the board and we’re staring at the available guys of 

Farley

Newsome

Stokes

Paye

 

Id take the EDGE Paye who is projected to be a stud. It’d give Saleh his dominant defensive line to setup his zone coverage schemes. I wouldn’t risk Farley at 23 since he hasn’t played since 2019 and had the back surgery

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Schrager has a good process with his mocks in that the first one is kind of guess work and the second is more based on the feedback he hears, but I'm skeptical on some of the stuff in here. 

Few thoughts: 

  • All I know is an overwhelming amount of people, including Chase's agents, think that Cincinnati will select him at #5. At the end of the day, it comes down to what Cincinnati thinks. Interested to see what that pick ultimately is. 
  • It's hard to get a read on what Miami will do. The coach loves Parsons, the GM telegraphed their move up suggesting it would be the best pass-catcher, and apparently there is some hesitancy on players who sat out last year (which would seemingly include Chase, Sewell, and Parsons). I think Waddle is their guy, and they'll try to appease coach if Parsons makes it out of the top 15, but there is one person in the know who says Parsons at #6... I just don't buy it, but then again, we all knew Daniel Jones was going to be a Giant at #17 until they took him at #6 so it's not impossible. 
  • Schrager is really close with the Arizona front office/coaching staff, and when Schrager mentioned them as a team to look out for in his first mock I toyed with it, but where are they getting the ammo from? They have no 3rd or 4th round picks next year, so are you really going to part with a 2nd or a future 1st to select a playmaker? I'm more of the belief their "ultra-aggressive" move will be taking someone like Elijah Moore or Kadarius Toney at #16.  

There are a lot of other picks I don't see outside the top 10, but Schrages will likely take another crack at it next week and I would guess that one has the best chance at being the most accurate 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A back injury seems like a pretty big deal for a CB.  I'm inclined to think that Douglas won't want to use a first round pick on a CB with a recent injury history.  Although if he comes back at full strength it would be a great pick.

JD seems to have a long term outlook for this franchise, so a guy that may not be ready week 1 (or may need to be babied year 1) may not scare him away. Of course, a back issue which could be a problem long term would certainly scare off many GMs. 

Farley had the same procedure as Michael Porter Jr who has been a model of health in the NBA the last couple of years and playing great basketball. The Nuggets got him a little later in the draft (a few picks after the Knicks took Kevin Knox) because of the exact same concerns. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets still have plenty of holes to fill.   So I see JD possibly trading down as far as #28-32.  And adding another 2nd and/or 3rd round pick. Rather then moving up.  At pick #34 you can still get quality value for the OL.  

If the OL value isn't there at #23, I wouldn't take this early in the draft a RB.  Maybe they would go WR if the value was there.

The only defensive players I would take would be Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips.  Paye won't be there. Phillips probably won't happen due to his medical history.  I wouldn't hate CB Jaycee Horn.  But if no trade down...I wouldn't draft a CB probably until 3rd round.  Jets need to get a quality OL. And...IMO....also a Talented TE to balance out the offense.  Like a Pat Freiremuth in the 2nd or a Tommy Tremble in the 3rd.  

I'm hoping for a trade down.  After QB at #2...getting additional picks (4-5 picks in total) in the top three rounds, would enable Jets to add starters among positions like OL-TE-CB-RB-LB-WR.    Which ever one or two positions they don't pick in rounds 1-3...Jets would have three picks through rounds 4-5 to draft those others.

Of course...I'm just speculating on what JD's draft strategy would be.   We'll find out soon enough.

     

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Draft Creed Humphrey at #23

I’m writing a letter to JD with this in big black Sharpie. 

Of course I wrote him a letter last year saying our first 4 picks should be 3 Oline and 1 WR or 2 Oline and 2 WR. He only listened to half of my suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the draft fell this way with the OL gone I'd absolutely love the Farley pick.  CB is a premier position (QB, LT, Edge, CB)

 

There will be OL to be had in rounds 2 and 3.  From Dillon Radunz, Cosmi, Humphrey, Dickerson, Davis, the BYU left tackle, Stone Forsyth. 

 

I think his neck will check out.  Farley would only be available due to the unusual circumstances of opting out and unfortunate timing getting his neck procedures.  If the medical staff okays him then he is hard for me to pass up.  A possible elite CB falling in your lap at 23.  He could very be CB1 in this strong CB class. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Schrager does pretty well on his second mock draft as he's well connected. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

I tried to copy/paste but the site is not allowing me to. 

 

When the Jets Pick he is projecting all of the below lineman to be gone. 

Sewell

Slater 

AVT

Darrisaw

Jenkins 

For those of you hoping for an offensive lineman its looking like we will need to move up or you're staring at a defensive player. 

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

 

Those are the only 5 guys I'd consider at #23.  Too early for Humphrey, Davis or any of the Tier 2/3 OTs IMO including Cosmi.

I'll get tomatoes thrown at me for this but I don't want to trade up from #23.  Simply too expensive for a team with so many needs as it begins its rebuild with a new coaching staff.  Also, this is a deep draft for OL.  I don't think we need to panic at #23 and reach for someone, especially having the #34 pick.

In the above situation I stick and pick the best player available (could be Edge, could be WR, etc.) and then come back at #34 for OL which could be a variety of guys (3 of whom I mentioned above).  The Jets could even trade down from #34 into the 40's since there's a grab bag of potential OTs they could choose from (Radunz, Eichenberg, Mayfield, etc.) and several others even later like Walker Little, Spencer Brown.  Don't you think JD prides himself on being able to pick the one or two guys from this group of about 10 OL outside of Round 1?  He even moved down in Round 2 last year to get Mims when the Jets were in a remarkably similar situation at WR to what they're in now at OL.

If Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw and Jenkins are gone at #23 all I can say is....

calm down fox broadcast GIF by Fox TV

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

 

 

I think his neck will check out.  Farley would only be available due to the unusual circumstances of opting out and unfortunate timing getting his neck procedures.  If the medical staff okays him then he is hard for me to pass up.  A possible elite CB falling in your lap at 23.  He could very be CB1 in this strong CB class. 

fools gold. cant afford the risk

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain the Creed Humphrey fetish on this board? I don’t see him projected going until the mid second almost anywhere yet people want to take him at 23. In sharpie nonetheless.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets are much more likely to trade down than up. 

From Breer's MMQB today:

• One other thing to add about the draft class: One team told me over the weekend that it expects to be into its second-round grades somewhere in the mid-to-late teens. Now, for context, it’s rare that any teams would have 32 first-round grades on players in any class.

Still, the idea we could be there at 16 or 17, where some teams are looking at the guys available as second-round values, is telling on the composition of the class. After the first three receivers, first three corners, the quarterbacks and top two offensive linemen, and Pitts, it seems things start to flatten out to where a player taken after that group might ultimately resemble a guy taken 30 or 40 picks later in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, football guy said:

Schrager has a good process with his mocks in that the first one is kind of guess work and the second is more based on the feedback he hears, but I'm skeptical on some of the stuff in here. 

Few thoughts: 

  • All I know is an overwhelming amount of people, including Chase's agents, think that Cincinnati will select him at #5. At the end of the day, it comes down to what Cincinnati thinks. Interested to see what that pick ultimately is. 
  • It's hard to get a read on what Miami will do. The coach loves Parsons, the GM telegraphed their move up suggesting it would be the best pass-catcher, and apparently there is some hesitancy on players who sat out last year (which would seemingly include Chase, Sewell, and Parsons). I think Waddle is their guy, and they'll try to appease coach if Parsons makes it out of the top 15, but there is one person in the know who says Parsons at #6... I just don't buy it, but then again, we all knew Daniel Jones was going to be a Giant at #17 until they took him at #6 so it's not impossible. 
  • Schrager is really close with the Arizona front office/coaching staff, and when Schrager mentioned them as a team to look out for in his first mock I toyed with it, but where are they getting the ammo from? They have no 3rd or 4th round picks next year, so are you really going to part with a 2nd or a future 1st to select a playmaker? I'm more of the belief their "ultra-aggressive" move will be taking someone like Elijah Moore or Kadarius Toney at #16.  

There are a lot of other picks I don't see outside the top 10, but Schrages will likely take another crack at it next week and I would guess that one has the best chance at being the most accurate 

If Moore and Toney are the targets of Arizona you'd have to believe at least one of them would be available at #23.  AZ has long felt like a good potential trade-up partner IF the Jets were interested in doing that.  #23, #66, and maybe something else like #107 could get the Jets into that range if that's where they wants to be.  It would get AZ back into Round 3 and 4 this year.  But even that seems like too much for JD to pay.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Can someone explain the Creed Humphrey fetish on this board? I don’t see him projected going until the mid second almost anywhere yet people want to take him at 23. In sharpie nonetheless.

It's PTSD from the Spencer Long Experiment

You want to analyze some of the reasons why Sam failed here.  Start with his rookie year when he was chasing bad snaps all over the field.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

fools gold. cant afford the risk

Have the Jets not learned anything from Quincy Enuwa and his neck issues. An emphatic  No to Farley   Get o line straight then go from there 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's PTSD from the Spencer Long Experiment

You want to analyze some of the reasons why Sam failed here.  Start with his rookie year when he was chasing bad snaps all over the field.

I’m not against taking Creed, but it seems like #34 or trading back might present better value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I’m not against taking Creed, but it seems like #34 or trading back might present better value. 

My dream right now is Jenkins at 23 and Creed at 34.  OMG.  After that, JD can have fun with BPA among WR, RB, Edge, CB.

Won't happen, of course.  Jenkins might be gone by 23 and Creed by 34.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a re-hash, stated a bit differently, of my thoughts in another thread.

If Jenkins  falls far enough to be gotten for our second third rounder I'm all in (if JD is). Not as the RT of the future, but as a young Faneca-- thus not the run-blocking specialist that we got by the time we got Faneca, but instead an all-around LG with the nimbleness of the younger Faneca in the passing game.

Some scouts say that Jenkins could and even should be inside. Imagine he and Mekhi blocking out the sun with their body mass for the next 12 years. A fella can dream.

By the way, the NFL.com draft coverage has Thuney as Jenkins' comp (and what a relative bargain Jenkins would be if that's true).

Having said all of the above, If better technical football analysts among us than I say the "Denver style" running game makes having two big galoots side by side impossible, I'll back down.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Schrager does pretty well on his second mock draft as he's well connected. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

I tried to copy/paste but the site is not allowing me to. 

 

When the Jets Pick he is projecting all of the below lineman to be gone. 

Sewell

Slater 

AVT

Darrisaw

Jenkins 

 

 

For those of you hoping for an offensive lineman its looking like we will need to move up or you're staring at a defensive player. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-cardinals-patriots-trade-up-for-alabama-r

 

If JD has the scouting department doing their jobs and they are good at their jobs and he works well with them, the Jets can get a starting player for the OL without have to trade away any picks.  Especially an interior lineman. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...