the excuses end now

kmnj

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I realize the OP's target is JD and his drafts/FA signings, but really the biggest upgrade he's made so far is getting rid of Gase...

Gase got 7 wins in his first season as a Jet.  Then last year, Gase got his team to beat 2 playoff teams in consecutive weeks.  And not just mediocre playoff teams either-  the Rams and Browns each won their first playoff games in dominating fashion.

Maccagnan roster.  QB with mono.  Backup goes down for a month.  No playmakers.  18 players on IR.  7 wins.

If you don't think that 8 wins is a gimmie for Saleh and 10 wins is the expectation, something is very wrong with you.  This schedule is easier than 2019.  We'll have a QB with no baggage.  Joe Douglas will have re-shaped the roster.  Saleh and LaFleur blow away Gase and Loggains.  This is a wildcard-contending season.  That's the expectation.

SAR I

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't like to predict the season until I have a copy of the schedule!!! Lets all wait until after the draft and checkout the schedule because we have a new coach and staff. Having a new coach and staff brings in a new attitude and could surprise a lot of us here. Remember the players are on notice and they will be fighting for a position now!!!!

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase got 7 wins in his first season as a Jet.  Then last year, Gase got his team to beat 2 playoff teams in consecutive weeks.  And not just mediocre playoff teams either-  the Rams and Browns each won their first playoff games in dominating fashion.

Maccagnan roster.  QB with mono.  Backup goes down for a month.  No playmakers.  18 players on IR.  7 wins.

If you don't think that 8 wins is a gimmie for Saleh and 10 wins is the expectation, something is very wrong with you.  This schedule is easier than 2019.  We'll have a QB with no baggage.  Joe Douglas will have re-shaped the roster.  Saleh and LaFleur blow away Gase and Loggains.  This is a wildcard-contending season.  That's the expectation.

SAR I

Why stop at 10 wins?  Why shouldnt this team be expected to win the Super Bowl?  I mean, its very common for 2-14 teams to to win double digit games the following year.

Its Super Bowl or bust!

• Upvote 1

JD has to nail this draft and the team has to show significant improvement this year or else we will officially be stuck in the middle of yet another 4 year rebuild cycle that takes us nowhere.  He got his HC, presumably he's going to get his QB, so I can buy the "excuses end now" premise of the OP.

Do I expect the Jets to be a playoff team this year? Of course not.  Do I expect the team to improve enough to the point where the consensus of all the armchair QB's, journalists, and "experts" out there will consider the Jets to be an "up and coming" team in 2022? Yes.

Another 3-4 win season will not be acceptable. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe D is having his second draft and is in his third paid year by the jets.

I dont want to hear about patience and the system anymore

this is joe's team and it is time to play competitive football and be held accountable.

since his tenor started his free agents were mostly bad and he let key players go(some will say that was his plan all along and everything is on target)   

Joe will now have his coach and his qb and two drafts under his built and three years as a paid employee

I want to see a team with talent that can compete.

I dont want to hear hey you dont expect them to be good for another 3-5 years as we have a rookie qb(Joe's choice) and a rookie coach(Joe's choice)

my bar for success which I am sure nobody cares about is the jets need to compete and win some games. I think 6 -7 wins is something Joe should be able to produce and what Vegas thinks is in line with what they should do

I pray joe is the guy but I need to see way more. I watched parcells rebuild in a year with a team with a worse record 4-28 before he took over and his rebuild added key players that were foundations for many years not one year fixes

I always thought of him as more of a baritone, if not a bass

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Tearing sh*t down and collecting picks is the easy part...picking the right players and coaching staff is the hard part which is why I haven't joined the Joe Douglas cult yet.  There's really nothing that's been done yet to have strong feeling either way.  Some good moves and some bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Ok, that's reasonable.

What was unreasonable was deeming him a failure after 1 draft which is what you saw quite a lot of here.

His FA signings/non-signings have also been terrible as well so criticism of his draft picks so far is warrented.

22 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

JD has to nail this draft and the team has to show significant improvement this year or else we will officially be stuck in the middle of yet another 4 year rebuild cycle that takes us nowhere.  He got his HC, presumably he's going to get his QB, so I can buy the "excuses end now" premise of the OP.

Do I expect the Jets to be a playoff team this year? Of course not.  Do I expect the team to improve enough to the point where the consensus of all the armchair QB's, journalists, and "experts" out there will consider the Jets to be an "up and coming" team in 2022? Yes.

Another 3-4 win season will not be acceptable. 

I right with you.  The kicker for me is the coaching... We know how bad AG was but we have no clue how the new coaching staff will perform.  Indeed, I recall JD saying they had productive meetings prior to last years draft too, so what's the difference... New coaching staff, new scheme, new players, etc.  IMHO at a min, I expect them to: 1)  they can get this team ready to play wek in and week out and to execute like an average (average for now) NFL team, 2) coach players up or reprimand /Bench players for poor performance (when needed), 3) be physical, 4) be smart and cognizant of the situation.... and 5) get better as a team and coaching (in game) as the seasons progresses. 

If not we are in trouble

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe D is having his second draft and is in his third paid year by the jets.

I dont want to hear about patience and the system anymore

this is joe's team and it is time to play competitive football and be held accountable.

since his tenor started his free agents were mostly bad and he let key players go(some will say that was his plan all along and everything is on target)   

Joe will now have his coach and his qb and two drafts under his built and three years as a paid employee

I want to see a team with talent that can compete.

I dont want to hear hey you dont expect them to be good for another 3-5 years as we have a rookie qb(Joe's choice) and a rookie coach(Joe's choice)

my bar for success which I am sure nobody cares about is the jets need to compete and win some games. I think 6 -7 wins is something Joe should be able to produce and what Vegas thinks is in line with what they should do

I pray joe is the guy but I need to see way more. I watched parcells rebuild in a year with a team with a worse record 4-28 before he took over and his rebuild added key players that were foundations for many years not one year fixes

Dont you have the feelign that Joe has doen a great job every year? I know I have.

While getting wins would be cool, the most important thing is to stop setting our young QB's up for failure.

I'd prefer going 1-16 with a typical score of 28-42.  At least that'd mean our offense was scoring and the QB was developing.

That'd be better than going 7-10 with typical scores of 17-14.  With a young QB running for his life behind a crap oline.

Imo, 2021 most important goal is to fix the offensive environment that wasted Sam.  Don't start Wilson's career the same way.

Wins are the second priority. 

Basically draft Oline early, not CB/Edge.  This from a guy who typically prefers a great defense over offense.  But what the Jets did to Sam was disgraceful. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Parcells flipped the team quickly but drafted poorly and also gave some bad contracts including the Mo Lewis monster as Parcells went off into the sunset.

Joe Douglas is building this for sustainable success.  We will have a rookie QB, a rookie HC, a rookie OC and a GM making his 2nd draft. I give zero ****s about instant results. I’d love them but all I care about is competence and a steady trend upward. 

we haven’t made a super bowl in 50 years. Even when you catching lightning in a bottle you may not win one.  Your best chance is to increase the odds that you are in the conversation year in and year out and that’s done with a FQB, good drafting and reasonable contracts.

And that’s EXACTLY what the current blueprint is.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

WHAT?????

Adam Gase was the worst head coach in the history of the NFL and he got 7 wins with a far worse team, with way too many injuries, and a third string quarterback!

"It was an easy schedule" applies to both Gase and Saleh.  8 wins is the minimum.  10 wins is expected.  If Saleh opens 0-4 I expect planes and billboards.

SAR I

This kids, is called, “pre-trolling.” 

Don’t fall for it. 

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I love how aggressively this starts out and then ends with being solid with 6 wins.

I already wrote the JD era off when they foolishly gifted Trevor Lawrence to the Jaguars.   The writing is *clearly* on the wall as it has been. Same owner = same expected results.  Get the fork.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think throwing out minimum wins etc is a bit pointless. But I agree on the competitive aspect of things. God knows we need something to cheer for after last year, where the expectation was anything less than a 10 point loss was "pretty good".

Saying we must win X games or such like is a bit too black and white. There are wins and there are wins. Same with losses. Let's say we win 8 games by 1-3 points and lose the rest by 20+ points. Is that acceptable? Is that progress? I'd rather see us being competitive in every game even if we win fewer overall, rather than setting an arbitrary number of wins.

20 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Parcells flipped the team quickly but drafted poorly and also gave some bad contracts including the Mo Lewis monster as Parcells went off into the sunset.

Joe Douglas is building this for sustainable success.  We will have a rookie QB, a rookie HC, a rookie OC and a GM making his 2nd draft. I give zero ****s about instant results. I’d love them but all I care about is competence and a steady trend upward. 

we haven’t made a super bowl in 50 years. Even when you catching lightning in a bottle you may not win one.  Your best chance is to increase the odds that you are in the conversation year in and year out and that’s done with a FQB, good drafting and reasonable contracts.

5fd08dd6826b1b258786097aae1996e0.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I already wrote the JD era off when they foolishly gifted Trevor Lawrence to the Jaguars.   The writing is *clearly* on the wall as it has been. Same owner = same expected results.  Get the fork.  

I have no idea if you’re being serious or facetious, but I have to say that I like it either way. 

Completely agree with the NO EXCUSES!

Not sure you can translate a good draft this year in to more a set # of wins.  You are starting a rookie QB whose best college moments were against the Little Sisters of the Poor.  Everybody wanted a rookie QB.  Well, we've got one.

Hard to quantify what a good draft will look like on the field.  For me, a starting OG or C who demonstrates an ability to excel in the NFL despite whatever rookie mistakes we see is a major test for JD.  Don't want to see another touted rookie QB leave NYJ with a wooden stake through his heart.

Regardless of who starts, we need to see 3-4 draft picks show us in year 1 that they will be long term starters in the NFL.

Back to the theme.  NO EXCUSES!!!!!

Winning more than last year is obviously important but where we'll see if this team is heading into the right direction is how they lose. I'll be satisfied with a 5 win season if most of the games are competitive. Obviously nobody wants that bad of a season but the way the jets were losing last year, there weren't many games where there was much of a chance that this team could pull off a win. This team still wont be up to par talent wise but if this team can show some fight and at least have some chances to win late in most of the games, I think the 21' season should be looked at as a success. If we're still getting blown out more times than not....it'll hard to be confident in this FO heading into 2022

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Parcells 2000 draft was one of jets best ever and coles round three was simplyawesome - I hope mims does as well as coles did 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I have no idea if you’re being serious or facetious, but I have to say that I like it either way. 

Totally serious.  Not to say that you cant enjoy the Jets on game day or when ever.  Games are fun to go  and it is entertainment win or lose.   In the Jets case, it is comedy more or less, but what the hell. The world needs good comedians as much as it needs A-list actors and musicians. 

Just don't expect too many wins and be prepared to laugh rather then cry when they find new and creative ways to come up short. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

WHAT?????

Adam Gase was the worst head coach in the history of the NFL and he got 7 wins with a far worse team, with way too many injuries, and a third string quarterback!

"It was an easy schedule" applies to both Gase and Saleh.  8 wins is the minimum.  10 wins is expected.  If Saleh opens 0-4 I expect planes and billboards.

SAR I

That's a little over the top even for you. But otherwise I agree. Most say that Gase was the worst HC in history. Fact -  the OL was the absolute worst in NFL history. The WR's ??? really bad, TE and RB's ??? and after a mono start to the season Darnold recovered and pulled out a 7-9 season.

JD has had two FA's and this is his 2nd draft. He decided to go all in on a rookie QB and  a rookie HC.

It's time he's held accountable. Don't get me wrong, I hope that both Wilson and Salah are both home runs and he hits on 3/4 of the draft picks this year and next year.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why stop at 10 wins?  Why shouldnt this team be expected to win the Super Bowl?  I mean, its very common for 2-14 teams to to win double digit games the following year.

Its Super Bowl or bust!

The Super Bowl is not realistic.

When 8 wins is expected, 10 wins isn't so hard to fathom.  Hell, Adam Gase would have gone 10-6 and made the playoffs in 2019 if Sam Darnold didn't get mono and Karre Vedvik wasn't his kicker.  

SAR I

4 hours ago, slats said:

This kids, is called, “pre-trolling.” 

Don’t fall for it. 

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg.png

Reasonably Expected Home Wins:  Jaguars, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and 1 division win.

Reasonably Expected Road Wins:  Broncos, Texans, Falcons, Panthers, and 1 division win.

That's 10 wins right there.  Don't think we can win in Denver?  Think the Saints can survive without Brees?  Okay.  Still leaves 8 wins.  Which is what we should expect from Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur, and Zach Wilson leading a Joe Douglas team.  Adam Gase was the worst coach in NFL history and Sam Darnold was the worst starting quarterback in the NFL and they got 7 with an easier schedule and half the Maccagnan roster on IR.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg.png

Reasonably Expected Home Wins:  Jaguars, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and 1 division win.

Reasonably Expected Road Wins:  Broncos, Texans, Falcons, Panthers, and 1 division win.

That's 10 wins right there.  Don't think we can win in Denver?  Think the Saints can survive without Brees?  Okay.  Still leaves 8 wins.  Which is what we should expect from Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur, and Zach Wilson leading a Joe Douglas team.  Adam Gase was the worst coach in NFL history and Sam Darnold was the worst starting quarterback in the NFL and they got 7 with an easier schedule and half the Maccagnan roster on IR.

SAR I

I actually think the jets are going to get 8 wins.  This defense is going to be very good.

If we add one of the top 3 backs in the draft(harris, etienne or williams), the offense might be very good as well.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I actually think the jets are going to get 8 wins.  This defense is going to be very good.

If we add one of the top 3 backs in the draft(harris, etienne or williams), the offense might be very good as well.

There we go.  And with that, with a Joe Douglas roster led by Robert Saleh getting 8 wins, we will most definitely be headed in the right direction.  Anything less will be considered a disappointment, none of this "5 wins is progress!" stuff.

Go Jets!

SAR I