53 Man Roster As of Right Now (End of Day - Sept 1)

The Jets have left room to add a TE and Safety.  But they'd need corresponding moves.  Herndon (if not already included) would take them from 53 to 52 after the trade.  It just really feels like there's a TE (or two) on the way here somehow.

Vyncint Smith is a surprise cut to me.  I would have kept him over Jeff Smith but perhaps Vyncint is going on an injured list?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

1. i really like our WR and DL. the LB and CB groups are horrible outside of CJM

2. really really dont understand carrying 4 TE's all preseason and then getting rid of 3 of them after....perhaps a move coming

I don't think our CB group is as bad as people think, especially since we will be playing a lot of zone. Young, yes....but not bad.

Also, some of the rookie CBs have college experience at safety and 2 of our LBs are converted safeties so I'm hoping the staff sees a lot of versatility.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don't think our CB group is as bad as people think, especially since we will be playing a lot of zone. Young, yes....but not bad.

Also, some of the rookie CBs have college experience at safety and 2 of our LBs are converter safeties so I'm hoping the staff sees a lot of versatility.

Youngs CBs are going to be rough for a while if we aren't getting enough pressure on the QB

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

@Sarge4Tide I also want to thank you for putting these lists together I read them every time. I also think we're looking pretty damn lite in the QB, TE, and LB department.

Obviously with all the cuts there will be some shuffling on the back end of the roster and the practice squad so I'm hopeful.

Again thank you for your effort and putting these lists together. For me it's the closest thing to the old days when I used to get Dan Leberfield's Jets confidential, or the actual roster sheet that used to hand out for free at Hofstra with the booklets in the keychains and the magnets and stuff. Some things didn't need to be changed but it is what it is.

• Upvote 2

Ok Joe. I was hoping for a 7/3 split at WR/TE. Our TEs are sh*t and did not deserve to be on the 53 man roster. This may change if we acquire a TE which is fine.

Edit: just realized Herndon is one of the 3 TEs. Makes even more sense now.

Glad he also admitted Morgan is a PS level player. He got outplayed by all the QBs.

Only thing I don’t understand is Zuniga making the roster. Should have kept Blair but it could be because he’s a veteran who’s contract will become fully gtd. Zuniga keeps us a bit more flexible.

thanks sarge.  i'm a little surprised at griffin being cut considering the thinness at te.  hopefully they'll pick someone up or maybe kroft is showing enough.  it does leave room for ertz but that's almost just trading one vet for another.  ertz isn't the player he was a few season's ago.

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

You're a goddamn hero putting these together @Sarge4Tide - I salute you!

Think we will add at least 1 TE and another LB over the next couple of days, plus some OL depth if McDermott and Edoga go onto IR.

fresh off the boat GIF

Davis IR bound as well. Another safety will be added too.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Ok Joe. I was hoping for a 7/3 split at WR/TE. Our TEs are sh*t and did not deserve to be on the 53 man roster. This may change if we acquire a TE which is fine.

Edit: just realized Herndon is one of the 3 TEs. Makes even more sense now.

Glad he also admitted Morgan is a PS level player. He got outplayed by all the QBs.

Only thing I don’t understand is Zuniga making the roster. Should have kept Blair but it could be because he’s a veteran who’s contract will become fully gtd. Zuniga keeps us a bit more flexible.

I was aboit to write all of this. Good for JD on not keeping Morgan due to him picking him and also can't  understand Zuniga at all. The guy looked lime a fish out of water last season and didn't  really notice him during pre-seaon. Would have preferred we kept another TE. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

We run a 4-3 defense, and only have four LBs on the roster.  

One of those LBs is Blake Cashman, and Two of the others are late-round converted safeties in their rookie year. 

I see a move at LB forthcoming!

Looked into this. We actually have 5 if we include Jarred Davis. Being on the initial 53 means if placed on IR he is eligible to return in 3 weeks. 

Combine that with some heavy Nickle fronts and some finger crossing on Cashman & Co., and we good. 

Excellent post. Thank you. 

We’ll see quite a few of the cuts end up on the practice squad, and I’d expect we bring back some of the vets once guys get placed on IR (DLs Ronnie Blair, Tanzel Smart and TEs Ryan Griffin, Daniel Brown come to mind). 

Jets will likely scoop someone up off waivers to fill the 53rd spot for now, start placing guys on short-term IR, re-sign a few guys and potentially add more rounds of waiver claims/add FAs not subject to the waiver process.

I have seen the murmurings RE: trade for Zach Ertz, but not sure they would be willing to offer what PHI seems to be looking for. I also don’t know how much this team will value receiving-only TEs (think Tanner Hudson, Jacob Hollister as the waiver/FA options). We’ll know soon enough. 

• Upvote 3

Its an odd roster IMO. 8 DB's, 4 of which are rookies, the other 4 with a year or 2 under their belt.  Only 4 LB's, two of which are rookies and former safties transitioning to the LB position. 7 WR's and only two TE's, one of which will be used as an H-Back who has really questionable hands.  I smell trouble.  An OL whose depth is BAD.  A patched up DL.  And they cut a RB who had the best preseason on the roster and keep a DL that hasnt recored a tackle LOL (Zuniga).  A backup QB that has NEVER thrown a pass in the NFL who they have been 'developing' over countless years.  I guess we can hope Zach can offset a lot of these instabilities Ehhhhh 

learningcurve.jpg

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

They should put lamar jackson on the PS and convert him to S

I think he is on the slow side.  This D seems obsessed with speed, so I am not sure he will fit what they want.  I guess his speed isn't too subpar for S, but IIRC, he was supposed to be bad in run support and downfield.  He was a length press CB.  Not a bad thought, but I'm not sure they will want to go there.  The fact he was the first announced cut seems to mean they won't want to keep him, but maybe that was just he or his agent tweeting it before anybody else. 

15 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Also, some of the rookie CBs have college experience at safety and 2 of our LBs are converted safeties so I'm hoping the staff sees a lot of versatility.

I don't know what to make of our corners.  I don't think they are good, but people act like they are super bad.  They might be, but how are they any worse than what we've had the last couple of years?   We felt a little better going into seasons with Trumaine Johnson, Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson because we knew their names, but they were worse than Hall, Austin and Guidry.  They will be playing 2 safeties at LB even when they aren't in nickel or dime.  It will be interesting how they scheme them.  It will certainly take more all-22 to tell than with Rex manning guys up.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think he is on the slow side.  This D seems obsessed with speed, so I am not sure he will fit what they want.  I guess his speed isn't too subpar for S, but IIRC, he was supposed to be bad in run support and downfield.  He was a length press CB.  Not a bad thought, but I'm not sure they will want to go there.  The fact he was the first announced cut seems to mean they won't want to keep him, but maybe that was just he or his agent tweeting it before anybody else. 

I don't know what to make of our corners.  I don't think they are good, but people act like they are super bad.  They might be, but how are they any worse than what we've had the last couple of years?   We felt a little better going into seasons with Trumaine Johnson, Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson because we knew their names, but they were worse than Hall, Austin and Guidry.  They will be playing 2 safeties at LB even when they aren't in nickel or dime.  It will be interesting how they scheme them.  It will certainly take more all-22 to tell than with Rex manning guys up.

Excellent post.

For the past several years, we've gone into the season hanging our hats on CB veterans and castoffs while decrying the lack of playtime for young guys.

This year we're doing the exact opposite and it's the right step for this roster. If even two guys look like keepers, that sets us up for the long haul and we suddenly have cheap, young depth behind them and a lot of flexibility for FA/draft next year.

• Sympathy 1