After 57 years, I might have had enough.

Green Ghost

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games into last season.
This year I wanted to buy into the new HC, QB thing, but it just never got me excited. it felt like just more of the same, just with new faces and a GM who I just don’t have a lot of confidence in. The last couple of years seem like Groundhog Day. Bad GMs, bad HCs and obviously bad teams.
I read this board after the draft, and it felt exactly like the Spring/Summer of 2018. The new QB was throwing dimes in practice, had the arm of Rodgers and the head of Peyton Manning. The WR we drafted was going to be the next Jerry Rice and he was going to fit perfectly with the WR we drafted last year and our heralded new FA WR. Yeah… not so much.

The HC and his staff haven’t impressed me in the least, yet I can’t honestly say I expected much with the roster this GM has put together in his 2 1/2 years here. Things are looking as bad, if not worse than they ever have for the NYJ, and I’m becoming numb to it. Instead of going out and watching the team I rooted for all my life, I stay home and watch my local team, the Panthers. It’s funny to see a team with so many old Jets and a HC we almost hired play well, and it makes them an easy watch.

Will I turn my back on the Jets? No, I can’t do that. If they’re ever on down here I’ll watch, and I’ll keep up with what’s going on with them here, but I’m done watching for now. If things ever turn around, I’ll be right back to watch every game but for now, I’ll follow the Panthers every week, and a couple of other teams I enjoy watching, like the Browns and Chargers.

It took 57 years, but this last 4-5 year stretch has me totally apathetic about this team. I just refuse to watch any more football like this organization has given us for the last 19 games.

Panthers meow meow. Cowboys are going to rodeo their azz this coming week. Meow Meow.  Then you'll be back. Welcome back.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I go back to 1964 with this team, and I think I might have finally had enough. I moved out of the NY area 10 years ago, but always made an effort to watch the Jets play every game… until about 4 games into last season.
This year I wanted to buy into the new HC, QB thing, but it just never got me excited. it felt like just more of the same, just with new faces and a GM who I just don’t have a lot of confidence in. The last couple of years seem like Groundhog Day. Bad GMs, bad HCs and obviously bad teams.
I read this board after the draft, and it felt exactly like the Spring/Summer of 2018. The new QB was throwing dimes in practice, had the arm of Rodgers and the head of Peyton Manning. The WR we drafted was going to be the next Jerry Rice and he was going to fit perfectly with the WR we drafted last year and our heralded new FA WR. Yeah… not so much.

The HC and his staff haven’t impressed me in the least, yet I can’t honestly say I expected much with the roster this GM has put together in his 2 1/2 years here. Things are looking as bad, if not worse than they ever have for the NYJ, and I’m becoming numb to it. Instead of going out and watching the team I rooted for all my life, I stay home and watch my local team, the Panthers. It’s funny to see a team with so many old Jets and a HC we almost hired play well, and it makes them an easy watch.

Will I turn my back on the Jets? No, I can’t do that. If they’re ever on down here I’ll watch, and I’ll keep up with what’s going on with them here, but I’m done watching for now. If things ever turn around, I’ll be right back to watch every game but for now, I’ll follow the Panthers every week, and a couple of other teams I enjoy watching, like the Browns and Chargers.

It took 57 years, but this last 4-5 year stretch has me totally apathetic about this team. I just refuse to watch any more football like this organization has given us for the last 19 games.

no.  my mother was born in 1917 and so was alive when the red sox won the series in 1918 and then was still alive to see the red sox win in 2004.  anything can happen.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You're a Jets fan. Just accept it. Lol

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You're not alone buddy.... I'm in the same boat. I gave up watching baseball and basketball, because the METS and Knicks were awful organizations. I know the JETS are also, but I never contemplated giving up on football until now. I didn't watch all that much in the GASE years because I couldn't stomach him as a coach. I am giving JD and Saleh till the end of 2023 to prove they have done the right things, and then I'm done with this sport as well. Once my wife retires, and I buy my boat my weekends will be spent out on the water, and an occasional trip up and down the intercoastal waterway. If they do turn it around, then I'll make sure I have the satellite TV antenna on my radar arch.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I started searching for the "Well ... Bye" .gif from Tombstone .... but then I felt a tear welling up in my left eye as the realization that I am only a few years away from your accomplishment came to fruition. 

I feel your pain ... the past 5 years have been an absolute and completely embarrassing colossal waste of time.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Apathy has infected many of us.  

Mike Vaccaro wrote a nice piece in the NY Post about how the Jets and Giants are losing a generation of fans again.  My nephew won’t watch this team.  

I am not a parent, but how many of you can’t get your kids to watch either?  Or do you even want them to invest in this dreadful franchise?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/09/28/lousy-giants-jets-risk-losing-another-generation-of-nfl-fans/amp/

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I agree with it 100%. 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Mike Vaccaro wrote a nice piece in the NY Post about how the Jets and Giants are losing a generation of fans again.  My nephew won’t watch this team.  

I am not a parent, but how many of you can’t get your kids to watch either?  Or do you even want them to invest in this dreadful franchise?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/09/28/lousy-giants-jets-risk-losing-another-generation-of-nfl-fans/amp/

Thanks for the article.  I would argue disdain over apathy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I've had two seasons where I checked out and didn't even bother watching games. Last year and Kotite (96 I think). I did so because I had lost all hope and concluded that the team could not have any chance of success until the coach was fired. I'm not there yet. But Saleh has to show me he can grow. He must immerse himself into the Offense, figure sh*t out and give his O coaches directives. That is what a HC does. Whether it is a run game emphasis or leaning on certain high percentage pass plays, going max protect all the time and/or scripting the first 15 plays. He has to do something to right the O ship. Even if it is just, validating that what they are currently doing is exactly what he wants and taking the reigns to motivate his O players to play better. That is what a HC does.

As far as JD, he's taken some lumps, but I do think he learns from mistakes. He was mistaken to think that signing a few jags from free agency and drafting 2 first round O lineman could fix the Jets O line. They have ZERO chemistry and simply do not effectively communicate with each other pre snap or in-play. JD needs to sign a highly regarded free agent O lineman AND draft 2 more O linemen with 2 of his first 3 picks. Most importantly, he needs draft a C to become the leader for the unit. Seeing McGovern's recent tweets only drives home the fact that the whiny idiot is no leader. A leader would not have thrown his rookie LG under the bus by insisting that the free rusher up the middle was not his responsibility as he stood motionless gazing in the abyss of nothing that was purportedly his A gap responsibility. How about he instead says, I should have read the pressure better and adjusted. Or, I should have reminded AVT pre-snap that the middle rusher was his responsibility. IMO, McGovern is the biggest problem on the entire team. He is bad and his inability to lead and effectively communicate makes the entire O line worse. That then makes Wilson play under constant pressure and then the entire O comes crashing to earth. For all of JD's mistakes, signing McGovern without a back up plan is by far his worst. If McGovern played to the level of an average NFL C, the Jets O would at least be serviceable enough to function and no one would be questioning whether they are doomed for yet another failed rebuild 3 games into the new regime.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

My family feels sorry for me when I have the Jets on. My neighbor feels sorry for me because I always see her after a game and she knows what happened (she's a Steelers fan). I feel I've wasted another Sunday afternoon when after somewhere in the first half I see that the game is pretty much over and the Jets are stumbling into another loss. The worst part is the crushed expectations -- not of a playoff contending team, but of a respectable team that is at least competitive. For the last few years, the Jets have been a total disaster and impossible to watch. So I check in and check out, or simply plan to do other things on Sunday, at least until I see something that suggests a glimmer of competence from this team. Until then, I find it best to be emotionally disinvested and use my time for more enjoyable pursuits. Which is pretty much anything else. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I infected 2 of my nephews .. and now they suffer as i have in a huge family of Patriots fans.

Now as i age ... i can feel my ass getting warmer ... praying that i am not destined to completely bypass purgatory on an express elevator to the bog of eternal stench. A place where the past 30 years of Jets seasons run on loop, and is lorded over by a giant female foot with even larger fake teeth.

I am prepping my boomstick ... just in case.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Don’t worry man

JD has it alll under control…

Just “growing pains” 

Interesting comment K-dog. I really wonder if he really thinks he does or if he misses the days of the anonymity of being on staff. I’m guessing he’s waking up with a jigger of bourbon and a handful of stale beer nuts mumbling ,” there is no place like home, there no place like home!” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

thanks for the update.