Could JD get axed by year's end? How is he different than Idzik who lasted just a year?

Maynard13

People are calling for JD's head.  I can understand the fury. But JD has done some good thiings in what was a really tough situation to step into. Lets face it, this year is going to be a disaster.  We'd be lucky to win 3 games.  JD has done some good things IMO.  He got rid of Gase. Thank God. He got rid of jamal and turned him into 2 prized 1st rounders. Impressive.  But he's been terrible at drafting.  Similar to Idzik. And his OL FA acquisisitons have been deplorable.  But Idzik was one and done.  This is JD's 3rd year. Hes been responsible for the last 2 dratfts. Obviously, the Johnsons have had more patience with him than Idzik. But is JD on a short lease after this year?  I think he's actually safe through 2022 and if they dont improve by then, its sayonara.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Hey anything could be done to answer your question. However that would not be conducive at this part of the continuous rebuild mode. J Douglas has completely gutted this team trading our stars for future draft pick, signing FA's on the reasonable, got us out of red in terms of the salary cap, selected his HC who now reports to him instead of the owner, and reset the QB cap by selecting a dynamic player with the overall second pick. At least the plan to establish a winning culture is in place contrary to what some on the outside think, present company excluded. It's a fresh start with a bright future if we can wait.

Let's look back into the not so distant past. GM's were searching for a quick fix to please the base and salvage their jobs. We had arranged marriages where clashes existed between staff and management, staff and players, and players and management. We rarely cleaned house entirely at once leaving part of the issue to mesh with the new regime. With partial turnover occurring every few years, top management seem to be interested hiring their buddies, pay exorbitant salaries, and mortgage our future draft picks attempting to win now rather than build a successful organization from the draft. Just look at our habit of trading away our picks. We are poor at training our picks. This is a major reason why we are so unsuccessful.

Most of us are fine witnessing another losing season. Frankly we have been conditioned for it. What most of us find intolerable is playing uninspired football wasting time and energy that fails to translate into competitive games. When you get right down to it, a 30-0 loss counts just a much as a 21-20 loss. In fact I feel the close loses feel worse than the blowouts. We're brought right to the edge of victory only for it to be snatched away from bleeding hearts with a critical error. Obviously I want to see meaningful games; but with the current state of our youth playing major minutes without the experience of going to war together as a unit just might be asking too much for us fans to bear. As professionals each has a job to do, and all must trust the system as well as each other. We on the other hand can second guess everyone involved because after all, we earned that right.

I will write that we are at a point of concern, not panic or overreacting (well I write for the few who haven't lost their patience). But we were told by both Salah and J Douglas that this is a process. We can't see how long it will take to see a difference, and a loss is still a loss. But this team will come around someday. I honestly believe that. The foundation has been laid. We just have to build on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Don’t think he goes.

We needed to do more to protect Wilson. The Defence has looked solid, and but for pure fatigue, they’ve done well considering they spend so long on their field every game.

O-Line is horrific and they really should have done more. Becton going down was a killer, but even then We were still open as.

Hell get another crack, but there’s a possibility he’s picking in the top 2-3 and then again in too 15 of the draft and he really needs to give some weapons to Wilson.

Berrios was the answer before, so not sure why he is now? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

People are calling for JD's head.  I can understand the fury. But JD has done some good thiings in what was a really tough situation to step into. Lets face it, this year is going to be a disaster.  We'd be lucky to win 3 games.  JD has done some good things IMO.  He got rid of Gase. Thank God. He got rid of jamal and turned him into 2 prized 1st rounders. Impressive.  But he's been terrible at drafting.  Similar to Idzik. And his OL FA acquisisitons have been deplorable.  But Idzik was one and done.  This is JD's 3rd year. Hes been responsible for the last 2 dratfts. Obviously, the Johnsons have had more patience with him than Idzik. But is JD on a short lease after this year?  I think he's actually safe through 2022 and if they dont improve by then, its sayonara.  

how is he different?  his drafts are better, the team is starting from a lower point than with idzik, and he doesn't have a head coach trying to back stab him.  and, of course, he's not trying to back stab the head coach.

• Upvote 1

Idzik and Rex were at each other's throats. Rex was Mr Popular (media and players) so Idzik was the one to get canned.

JD and Saleh are working together so far. So long as it stays that way I see both being here for a while yet. Poor results will initially be blamed on lack of player talent / too many injuries, then it'll be the OC who gets canned; only then will it move up to HC / GM level. 

• Upvote 1

If this years class can compensate for last years draft disaster then no he won’t be fired.Early returns not looking great. He probably won’t be fired but if the Jets finish with 3 wins or less everything gets put on the table.

The Jets scouting process is broken- especially in the pre draft interview side…whether it be scouring info from previous coaches, staff about their desire, practice habits etc…they have been missing the boat on this entirely. I think the football character especially during the beginning of a “rebuild” is invaluable to turning things around. The Jets have glossed over this type of stuff. Douglas doing a self audit on his scouting team, info gathering etc needs to happen. 

• Upvote 1

His entire strategy is blowing up right in front of our eyes…”build through the draft”

Most of his picks are busts and when you dump all veteran talent for that, the plan backfires so bad you have the worst Jets team in 20 years and it’s not even close

This team isn’t even close. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

and why dont we give the 21 draft class more than 3 games before we say JD cant draft.

My main problem with JD right now is that he is too cheap sometimes, or spends money in the wrong places or the wrong people. This was the year to spend more on the OL, and we went for cheap (Feeney), instead of Thuney, or Lindsley, The correct move even if he didn't want to spend for Thuney was to get Lindsley and move McGovern to RG. He also needs to get into Becton's ear, and tell it like it is.

"Dude, I drafted you 11th overall and you had better pick up the pace and play like a first rounder, or I'm going to move you to RT, or even trade your ass". 

Let's get some balls out of our GM or coaching staff for once is my main concern. You can treat them like men and stop coddling them. I like playing most of the youngsters and watching them grow, what I can't stand is the watching the QB, the most important position on the field regress because he's running for his life. That needs to be fixed RIGHT NOW. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ScouserJet said:

Don’t think he goes.

We needed to do more to protect Wilson. 

Yes.  He needs to be coached, he needs an offensive system that is good for his skill set and he needs decent offensive linemen.  In short, a new GM, and OC.  And new GM means a new HC as well.

This is yet another disaster regime on the wing

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If this years class can compensate for last years draft disaster then no he won’t be fired.Early returns not looking great. He probably won’t be fired but if the Jets finish with 3 wins or less everything gets put on the table.

The Jets scouting process is broken- especially in the pre draft interview side…whether it be scouring info from previous coaches, staff about their desire, practice habits etc…they have been missing the boat on this entirely. I think the football character especially during the beginning of a “rebuild” is invaluable to turning things around. The Jets have glossed over this type of stuff. Douglas doing a self audit on his scouting team, info gathering etc needs to happen. 

Yup. This is it. 
Idzik didn’t get a second draft.  JD’s first is actually worse than Idzik’s first (which is hard to believe)

If even a few of these guys (in either draft) show real promise maybe he can/should survive   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ScouserJet said:

Don’t think he goes.

We needed to do more to protect Wilson. The Defence has looked solid, and but for pure fatigue, they’ve done well considering they spend so long on their field every game.

O-Line is horrific and they really should have done more. Becton going down was a killer, but even then We were still open as.

Hell get another crack, but there’s a possibility he’s picking in the top 2-3 and then again in too 15 of the draft and he really needs to give some weapons to Wilson.

Berrios was the answer before, so not sure why he is now? 

before the season started everyone said we had a top WR room.   Now maybe the groin injury is a big deal in terms of the offense but it seems like our WR stink.

but what really needs to get fixed is the OL.  You give any qb time they will do well in this league.   If our LT doesn't work out - that's a big issue.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup. This is it. 
Idzik didn’t get a second draft.  JD’s first is actually worse than Idzik’s first (which is hard to believe)

If even a few of these guys (in either draft) show real promise maybe he can/should survive   

Pretty wild that our last 2 GMs are actually making Idzik look good

58 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

His entire strategy is blowing up right in front of our eyes…”build through the draft”

Most of his picks are busts and when you dump all veteran talent for that, the plan backfires so bad you have the worst Jets team in 20 years and it’s not even close

This team isn’t even close. 

If Zach doesn’t pan out JD absolutely has to be fired.  Right now Zach looks Geno-esque

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

This was all expected, like it or not. 

If the rest of the Jets season is as bad as the first 3 games and Zach Wilson looks like his psyche has been ruined in his rookie season, then I believe Joe Douglas needs to be held accountable and fired before he gets his hands on those precious draft picks/cap space. Only way you keep Joe is if you neuter him by hiring a President of Football operations he has to report to, like he's back working for Howie Roseman in Philly.

11 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

If Zach doesn’t pan out JD absolutely has to be fired.  Right now Zach looks Geno-esque

It's not Zach per se. Sam looked awful for us,  and most of us thought he was a bust. (I didn't)I would argue that Zach has less to work with than Sam if that's even possible.   I haven't seen enough of Zach to defend him but Joe Montana couldn't succeed on this team.