Damien Woody tells JD to step it up

kevinc855

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why? Let’s say Zach Wilson completely implodes and gets benched by midseason next year (basically worst case scenario) - someone like white or a decent veteran backup couldn’t have success with an improved roster and hold the fort until a better long term option comes along? 

Granted, it sounds like the Jets want Flacco to be the backup (lol), but you get the point.

Jets have assets out the ass. No excuse to not be at least decent next year. If they aren’t close to .500, it’s an F. 

Half a season of Joe Flacco rebuild-football would be hysterical. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

You think Jd is more aggressive this offseason? More FA dollars spent? Maybe trade draft capital for proven players? 

The dude admitted in his press conference after the season that he hasn’t been good enough and has to do better.

He’s headed into year 4 of his 6 year deal.

If the Jets don’t win at least 7-8 games next season then his ass is going to be scolding. He has to realize this.

Using the draft as your primary source of building the team is all fine and good. But you can’t solely rely upon it. The Rams haven’t had a 1st round pick since they took Jared Goff and they’re getting by just fine.

The Jets have plenty of cap space and 4 picks in the Top 40 alone in what is considered by and large the weakest draft class in years. If he can land a legitimate #1 wideout by trading one of those 2nd rounders before FA begins, then he needs to do it.

He also needs to be aggressive once FA starts. None of this rolling over cap space to next year garbage. If the team doesn’t perform up to par, there’s a good chance he won’t be here to see 2023 anyway.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

You think Jd is more aggressive this offseason? More FA dollars spent? Maybe trade draft capital for proven players? 

Yes, I do.

My guess is we'll be up against the cap for the first time in a long time.

And yes, I think he'll trade picks if the right player is there.  Guy like Amari Cooper seems like the most likely to me...we have picks and can afford to take the cap hit.

We'll still be playing lots of rookies again next year - but that needs to be supplemented with veteran talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Joe D will not be going all in next year.  We are patiently building through the draft.  This is an 8 win team next year.

For 2023, he might step it up and spend on some big time guys.  That is the year that the franchise is focused on to take the next step.

And Im not sure how "all in" Joe D will ever go.  Thats not the way to build sustainable success.

• Upvote 1

I heard Trey Hendrickson interviewed, and he knew Burrow from New Orleans/Brees/LSU.  He wanted to play with Burrow.  The question is who is signing up to play with Zach Wilson.  

The Bengals with the 1 and 5 pick ended up with Burrow and Chase.  The Jets with 2 and 4 will end up with Wilson and….

Douglas is not going to take a flyer on next season. He’s going to utilize his resources and bring in veteran talent, and I also don’t see him trading down for future draft picks.

That being said, the hole he put this team in from the 2020 draft is going to be tough to overcome. We got nothing from an entire draft other than a solid cornerback. He followed that up with an enormous reach for Zach at 2nd overall in 2021. Sure hope he gets a lot better at his job because thus far he’s been horrendous. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I do.

My guess is we'll be up against the cap for the first time in a long time.

And yes, I think he'll trade picks if the right player is there.  Guy like Amari Cooper seems like the most likely to me...we have picks and can afford to take the cap hit.

We'll still be playing lots of rookies again next year - but that needs to be supplemented with veteran talent.

Please not Cooper.  He is older and is paid a ton. And he whines about not getting the ball and is always dinged up.   When Wilson is maturing, Cooper will be on the downside of his career.  It's a young man's game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Anybody notice the critical role of TE's in virtually every high-power offense? If JD doesn't lock down two quality TE's through FA and the draft this year, he should be given a pink slip. The Jets' offense is an eight cylinder engine running on four.

Nope. Didn't notice.  Uzomah?  Good player, but not "high powered."  Kittle has been virtually invisible in the 49 er playoff runs this year and in 2019. He has 13 catches for 150 yards and 0 TDs in SFs 5 playoff games in those two postseasons and the 49ers are 4-1.   Knox went 2 for 9 yards yesterday.  A good TE will help, but no need to go crazy. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nope. Didn't notice.  Uzomah?  Good player, but not "high powered."  Kittle has been virtually invisible in the 49 er playoff runs this year and in 2019. He has 13 catches for 150 yards and 0 TDs in SFs 5 playoff games in those two postseasons and the 49ers are 4-1.   Knox went 2 for 9 yards yesterday.  A good TE will help, but no need to go crazy. 

We have had the worst tes in the league for years, oh and you ignored te play of gronk and kelce from your comments.  SF is may not make the playoffs without a guy like kittle.  TE is massivley important and yes the jets should go crazy on upgrading that position.

• Upvote 4

Yep, great job. But, here is the thing, JD should already know to step it up as this is the year that the team needs to compete. And, if JD didn't know he needs to stop it up, I am pretty sure that being told to step it up won't be helpful. JD either has a plan that he is going to execute on, or he doesn't.