It's Combine Week

section314

49 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I thought the story with Olave was 

great route runner, not as physically gifted as the other guys

it that’s true, this time just blew that out of the water and he’s going top 10

Knock on Olave is his lack of ability to generate YAC and plays without physicality (not that he isn't physically gifted), meaning he may struggle in press and get knocked off his routes by more physical corners in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I thought the story with Olave was 

great route runner, not as physically gifted as the other guys

it that’s true, this time just blew that out of the water and he’s going top 10

A big issue is the wiry build, how will he do against man coverage etc, this time is not that unexpected. The reason for his 2nd round draft projection pre this was the output last season, and most of that was actually the QB play. He played a lot better with Fields the year before compared to Stroud. I think the Devonte Smith comparison is fair and I think he would be a steal in the 2nd round with one of our picks. 

• Upvote 1

What did you all think about McBride today?  If the Jets miss out on him.   Woods or Wydermyer don't look like a bad consolation prize.  I don't see any of them going before the 3rd round, after today.  This draft is loaded at TE.  More important positions will be the flavor of the draft for the top 64.

4 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

What did you all think about McBride today?  If the Jets miss out on him.   Woods or Wydermyer don't look like a bad consolation prize.  I don't see any of them going before the 3rd round, after today.  This draft is loaded at TE.  More important positions will be the flavor of the draft for the top 64.

I like McBride, but just like I said a few days ago, he’s more Tyler Conklin than Jason Witten.

Fans feel the need to equate all of their favorite prospects to all-pros…it’s silly.

Give me 4 legitimate starters in the Top 40 at current positions of weakness and I’ll be satisfied.

• Upvote 4

I have rules about the combine. 

1) Don’t check the same box twice (Olave is fast, so a fast 40 time isn’t surprising)

2) Don’t disregard information that seems wrong. (Combine said Jamal Adams was too slow to be good in coverage but many ignored that)

3) Ignore the talking heads or listen to all of them (either one is fine)

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Based on unofficial times

I wonder how high the FO has him, we all know JD loves his RAS's, Watson has a lot of production on jet sweeps and screens wich fit the system a truly YAC beast. The problem is really the marginal overall production in the FCS level, ran a really limited route tree at NDSU. Wouldn't mind him in the 3rd has a really good chance to be special if he develops.

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yeah… the hand timer was way off for that group. 

official watson official was 4.36 and Olave 4.39. 

Watson blowing up the combine though.  

Yeah disappointing- several didn’t run a second time bc they thought the times were close 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

John Ross and Philip Dorset (and that kid from Kent state) are why you never bet on 40 times alone.. with that said, the name that the name that stands out there?

Calvin Austin

He was quietly revered at teh Senior Bowl - and now dropped a 4.32

BTW, Memphis>>>Tennessee. SEC should put the vols on notice.

He was leading or close to leading ncaa receiving yards halfway through the year and then production fell off for some reason. He does stand out with his athleticism though, good for him. 

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yeah… the hand timer was way off for that group. 

official watson official was 4.36 and Olave 4.39. 

Watson blowing up the combine though.  

Hands catcher, awesome YAC, tracks ball in the air, gets wide open, fights for contested balls, off the charts athletically.

He could be a 3rd round steal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Hands catcher, awesome YAC, tracks ball in the air, gets wide open, fights for contested balls, off the charts athletically.

He could be a 3rd round steal.

May not make it to the 2nd round after today. Good chance Jets will have to take him at 35 or 38 if he does make it there.

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Been busy.  

Why is nobody freaking about Wilson?  I scrolled earlier and saw people saying no top 10 WRs in this draft   

Did I miss free crack on JN day?  

I think Wilson clearly separated himself today and would endorse him at 10 if that's the pick but I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with this receiver class at the top. I'd feel much better taking a stab in the 2nd round or trading a pick. Hopefully London shows out at his Pro Day and Burks can rebound from his performance today.

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Been busy.  

Why is nobody freaking about Wilson?  I scrolled earlier and saw people saying no top 10 WRs in this draft   

Did I miss free crack on JN day?  

He’s small and fast. Nothing new so he stays put. 

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Crazy how small Pickett’s hands are. I’m 6’2”. I thought I had what seems to be average size hands and my hands are just shy of 10”. When I shake people’s hands, I’ve never felt my hands were unusually big. For him to be 6’3” and only have 8.5” hands is shocking. My 11 year old has bigger hands.

Yeah but can you 11 year old daughter do this? 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

May not make it to the 2nd round after today. Good chance Jets will have to take him at 35 or 38 if he does make it there.

He had a hugely impressive day, but where is the college production? With his physical gifts, he should have absolutely dominated in college - especially against that level of competition. That's a little concerning.

I like what I have seen of him, at the Senior Bowl and the combine, but he's not a slam-dunk. Stephen Hill also had a very impressive combine, for example. Not saying that Watson will bust like Hill, just an example of combine performance elevating a guy.

Was hoping the get Watson for the Jets in the mid rounds. His combine has probably lifted him a lot higher, and at the elevated price that worries me a little.

Great athlete, by all accounts a great kid, but that college production does give me a degree of caution.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

He had a hugely impressive day, but where is the college production? With his physical gifts, he should have absolutely dominated in college - especially against that level of competition. That's a little concerning.

I like what I have seen of him, at the Senior Bowl and the combine, but he's not a slam-dunk. Stephen Hill also had a very impressive combine, for example. Not saying that Watson will bust like Hill, just an example of combine performance elevating a guy.

Was hoping the get Watson for the Jets in the mid rounds. His combine has probably lifted him a lot higher, and at the elevated price that worries me a little.

Great athlete, by all accounts a great kid, but that college production does give me a degree of caution.

Thats fair, though if you check out the Bisons overall offense, QB1 1400 yards, QB2 800 yards passing. There a run focused offense. Watson accounted for over 800 yards and 7 TDs of those 2200.  He's gonna require a little more projection then someone coming out of a power 5 school. The senior bowl is really gonna elevate this kid, and now the testing will validate what they saw. Everything I've read about his mental make up has been positive. If he's got the tools and the work ethic, I'm willing to bet on him.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Thats fair, though if you check out the Bisons overall offense, QB1 1400 yards, QB2 800 yards passing. There a run focused offense. Watson accounted for over 800 yards and 7 TDs of those 2200.  He's gonna require a little more projection then someone coming out of a power 5 school. The senior bowl is really gonna elevate this kid, and now the testing will validate what they saw. Everything I've read about his mental make up has been positive. If he's got the tools and the work ethic, I'm willing to bet on him.

All very true.  I do like Watson, it's just that projecting guys (even great athletes) with fairly limited college production is always a risk. I hate to get back to Stephen Hill, who was another guy who had a terrific combine after limited college production in a run-first scheme, but there is always a risk with these projections.

I do think Watson will have a better pro career than Hill (who - full disclosure - I also liked after his combine) but he will probably need a fair bit of development. It's a big jump for him, though his physical gifts, work ethic and character are all huge positives.

I'd like to see him as a Jet, but I was hoping it would be as a mid-rounder. It looks like we would probably have to invest more to acquire him, which makes it more of a risk.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

All very true.  I do like Watson, it's just that projecting guys (even great athletes) with fairly limited college production is always a risk. I hate to get back to Stephen Hill, who was another guy who had a terrific combine after limited college production in a run-first scheme, but there is always a risk with these projections.

I do think Watson will have a better pro career than Hill (who - full disclosure - I also liked after his combine) but he will probably need a fair bit of development. It's a big jump for him, though his physical gifts, work ethic and character are all huge positives.

I'd like to see him as a Jet, but I was hoping it would be as a mid-rounder. It looks like we would probably have to invest more to acquire him, which makes it more of a risk.

I understand the concern especially with our history of 2nd round receivers, excluding Moore, but if there is a year to do it, this may be the year.  We have 4 picks in the top 40, plus a 3rd, 2 4ths, 2 5ths. We've got plenty of capital to take a risk on projection/upside.

Stephen Hill always looked uncomfortable playing football. He was a terrific athlete, but very mechanical. I don't see this with Watson. I see smooth mover that has the tools to develop as a route runner and the frame/hands to improve in contested catch situations. He needs to be more physical attacking the ball, but he's quite good with the ball in his hands.

I think worst case he's a role player for vertical routes, screens, reverse, and gadgets. He aligned all over the field and is a pretty solid run blocker.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If it’s as fast a track as it appears, we’re all gonna be thirsting over CBs and Edge guys tomorrow more than any one of these wideouts. 

And what do you think saleh and douglas will be thinking - we need 2 of these guys. 

Trade back from 10, 2 defensive players in the first, and a trade up in the 2nd for a wr.  

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

The film on this kid is seriously slept on. 

100%.I went with family this past November to see ND at UVA.Other than my son,his wife all his in-laws went to UVA and are as nuts about UVA sports as we are the Jets. That game , the UVA QB Brennan Armstrong missed his 2 2nd straight game., and a true frost made his first start. ND knew  the TE was their best weapon, and took him completely out of the game. UVA could not move the ball. The folks down there compare him to Herman Moore, which is pretty high praise. These are people who live UVA sports. This kid is good.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Imagine if Lavel Davis was healthy this past season.   UVA would have had two 6’7” targets in their passing game….Lol.   

Also, before he  got hurt vs Pitt, Brennan Armstrong was neck and neck with Pickett  for ACC POY.