Joe Douglas - “Yes, we are operating like Mekhi is going to be one of our two tackles”

PALM BEACH, Fla. — The Jets are not sure which side tackle Mekhi Becton will be playing on in 2022, but he is penciled in as one of their two starting tackles.

“Yes, we are operating like Mekhi is going to be one of our two tackles,” Jets general manager Joe Douglas said Tuesday at the NFL owners’ meetings. “That’s our expectation that he’s going to come back ready to roll. I know he’s fired up to get back on the field and compete.”

Full article…

https://nypost.com/2022/03/29/jets-make-plans-clear-for-mekhi-becton-after-lost-season/

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

It doesn't sound like it's a definite. 

"We are operating like Zach Wilson is going to be our starting QB."

Not a lot of confidence in a statement like that.

Becton needs to prove he can get healthy, get in shape and then stay healthy and and stay in shape for an entire season. Until that happens, I highly doubt the jets are going to act as if he is locked and loaded at tackle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

They are going to let Fant and Becton compete for LT. Sounds like they want the best man for the job on Zach’s blindside. The other guy moved to RT.

With no high-quality backup OT like Moses on the roster so far in 2022, I still believe OT is firmly on the table in the first two rounds this year. After all, Douglas is making it clear that he’s not sure who is playing left and right this season, and we only have one starting caliber OT on the roster beyond 2022, and that guy has proven to be less than completely reliable.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Becton needs to prove he can get healthy, get in shape and then stay healthy and and stay in shape for an entire season. Until that happens, I highly doubt the jets are going to act as if he is locked and loaded at tackle. 

What if Becton can’t prove that during this season, and what if Fant plays out this final year of his contract?

Who do we think are the two starters at OT in 2023, positions that Joe Douglas has demonstrated are personally his biggest priorities?

Do we think he waits 12 months until after the season to figure out where he will get his two starting tackles? Does he use big money in free agency in 2023 to get one of them and then put himself in a position where he has to force a draft pick for a starting OT in the 2023 draft?

19 minutes ago, greasyt said:

So long Becton.  It feels to me that they are going ship him for, what they hope, is a 2nd day pick.  I still believe they are planning on taking Ekwonu or Neal if they're still on the board at 4.

Yeah, theyre going to trade Becton, in April, before or at the draft, for a 2nd day pick

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What if Becton can’t prove that during this season, and what if Fant plays out this final year of his contract?

Who do we think are the two starters at OT in 2023, positions that Joe Douglas has demonstrated are personally his biggest priorities?

Do we think he waits 12 months until after the season to figure out where he will get his two starting tackles? Does he use big money in free agency in 2023 to get one of them and then put himself in a position where he has to force a draft pick for a starting OT in the 2023 draft?

If the Jets are smart they are drafting a Tackle in this draft regardless. The only question is whether they draft a tackle in the top 10 and then move on from Becton now or draft a project tackle later in the draft and give Becton a chance to re-establish himself. 

• Upvote 1

Hate to break this to everyone dissecting this piece, just listen to the interview.  Hughes asks JD, "are you operating as if Mekhi is going to one of the two starting tackles".and JD answered yes, repeating the question as asked. 

Can you say overblown? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, greasyt said:

When else would they trade him? And you certainly wouldn't get a first for him at this point.

Ugh, after he proves he isnt a first round talent?  Like after the season or maybe camp?  

Because so far if you take away the knee a year ago, he is

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Wouldn't in make sense to put Fant at RT since he has already played it in the NFL? I'm not even sure that Becton played RT in college. 

But LT is more important to right-armed QB and Fant played the position at an elite level last season.

bad look to trade away a top 10 pick after two seasons.  on the other hand i'd rather have a gm who's not afraid to make such a deal than a guy who continues to keep a second round qb on a team that can't even hit the ground with a pass.  i think becton is going to be fine until he shows something else.  and i don't think they'll use a top pick on an oline tackle.  much as they did bring in the bookend tackles in the late 70's they have other needs that can addressed with their top picks.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

PALM BEACH, Fla. — The Jets are not sure which side tackle Mekhi Becton will be playing on in 2022, but he is penciled in as one of their two starting tackles.

“Yes, we are operating like Mekhi is going to be one of our two tackles,” Jets general manager Joe Douglas said Tuesday at the NFL owners’ meetings. “That’s our expectation that he’s going to come back ready to roll. I know he’s fired up to get back on the field and compete.”

Full article…

https://nypost.com/2022/03/29/jets-make-plans-clear-for-mekhi-becton-after-lost-season/

Kiss of death

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

They are going to let Fant and Becton compete for LT. Sounds like they want the best man for the job on Zach’s blindside. The other guy moved to RT.

With no high-quality backup OT like Moses on the roster so far in 2022, I still believe OT is firmly on the table in the first two rounds this year. After all, Douglas is making it clear that he’s not sure who is playing left and right this season, and we only have one starting caliber OT on the roster beyond 2022, and that guy has proven to be less than completely reliable.

You make a great point JS (not surprised) believing OT is firmly on the table in the first two rounds this year. There has been some real positive buzz on Malik Wilis and his stock rising along with Pickett and the other QBs (fingers crossed) hopefully rising as well over the next few weeks. I believe a trade down from 4 and/or 10 would secure an extra 2nd/3d and we could address OL with someone versatile like Zion Johnson (if we trade down to 20ish). I am starting to feel more confident this can/will happen

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

but i can flip that on you and say what if Becton can prove he can stay on the field? so your 1st or 2nd rd Tackle you just drafted sits on the bench all year? how is that a good move?

WR, Edge, LB, CB or Safety, if you draft any of those in rd 1 and they start right away. OL is the only position on the team where they dont. 

your worried too much about 2023. i think JD is worried about winning games this year. cause if we dont win like 7-8 games this year then JD wont be here for 2023. especially if he uses a high pick that sits on the bench all year and cant contribute.

i could use your thinking on anything. 

Lawson was hurt all year. can we trust him to be healthy? Mosely contract is up next year. who will play LB for 2023? Zack had a bad year, do you think JD waits 12 months until after the season to figure out who his starting QB is for 2023? 

JD better get his priorities in the right order before Woody gets wise and sees that nobody keeps drafting OL in the 1st rd and they win.  

I think OT is certainly on the table early in the draft.

Becton is oft-injured and has serious longevity concerns.  Personally, I don't feel like he is a particularly good fit for the outside zone blocking scheme, but that is yet to be determined.  He wasn't off to a great start early last season by basically all accounts.

Fant is coming off a career year (can it be repeated or was it a bit of a fluke?) and is on the last year of his contract.  He very well may come back down to his mean and become the player he was for the first four years of his career.  Bottom line, it's not a slam dunk he will continue to be a top rated pass blocking OT in the NFL.

The depth behind them is objectively poor.

I think Joe Douglas can legitimately play this a number of different ways.  A good argument can be made for a top rated OT at #4, a very good prospect at #10 or the second round, or a developmental player on Day 3.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If the Jets are smart they are drafting a Tackle in this draft regardless.

I agree.  Whether it's at 4, 10, 35, etc. I think they need to Draft one relatively early, but not because of what you said next....

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The only question is whether they draft a tackle in the top 10 and then move on from Becton now or draft a project tackle later in the draft and give Becton a chance to re-establish himself. 

I don't think they're trading Becton in any scenario (even drafting OT at #4) unless they get blown away by an offer.... which they won't.  Why are they sticking with Becton?  Because Mekhi Becton is currently the only starting caliber OT (either Left or Right) on the roster for 2023.  The Jets need a Fant replacement.  What I think may happen is the Jets try to Draft a LT in Rounds 1 or 2 this year with the idea that Fant walks after 2022, and Becton moves to the right side.

If the Jets draft an OT at say, #35, that guy is basically the Morgan Moses replacement for this year and a starter next year.

This team needs 3 starting OTs right now given Becton's history.  Over his first two years when, in theory, he should be at his healthiest, most fit, and youngest he has average playing 7 games per year.  Call me crazy, but I don't think he'll be any lighter, healthier and younger as his career goes on than he has been at 22 years old.

• Upvote 2