ESPN predicts the Jets to be picking first in the 2023 NFL draft

Ouch. If this did happen, you would see a lot of heads rolling. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/34048812/nfl-draft-2023-projected-order-top-10-picks-including-where-jets-bears-steelers-others-land

"We're almost a year from the 2023 NFL draft, and 285 games lie ahead that will determine the draft order. Anything can happen. We won't know what the top 10 will look like until the end of Week 18 this season, and even then, things can change with pre-draft trades up or down the board.

Even so, we projected how the draft order might play out in those first 10 picks using our ESPN Football Power Index, which gives each team's expected draft slot. An analytics writer pulls back the curtain on the numbers to explain why each team is projected to have an early selection, while our NFL Nation reporters dive in on how each of the teams can outperform these expectations and avoid a disappointing season.

Which teams are destined for a top draft pick? Where might the Jaguars -- who have held the No. 1 pick in each of the past two years -- land? And which teams could surprise in 2022? Let's take a closer look at teams currently headed toward another early Round 1 selection.

1. New York Jets

Chance at No. 1 pick: 13.6%
Chance at top 10: 68.4%

Why they are here: You can see the upside with the Jets. They have Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis and Elijah Moore at receiver. Ahmad Gardner and D.J. Reed are set to lock down the cornerback spots. Carl Lawson is back at edge rusher. And most importantly, they have a potential star in second-year quarterback Zach Wilson. But none of that -- most importantly Wilson -- is guaranteed to pay off. ESPN's FPI is betting that most of it likely won't. -- Walder

How they outperform this projection: Between free agency and the draft, the Jets added playmaking potential on both sides of the ball, most notably with Wilson, Gardner, Reed, running back Breece Hall and safety Jordan Whitehead. Improved team speed should allow them to create game-changing plays, which were in short supply in 2021. The Jets ranked 31st in takeaways and 20th in explosive plays on offense (runs of 10-plus yards or passes of 20-plus yards). -- Rich Cimini"

• Haha 2

Unless Wilson is just unfathomably bad (like, consistently as bad as his worst games last year) I have a really hard time seeing this.

FPI is generally weighted heavily toward prior performance in preseason though, so it's not as shocking as you might think...

And frankly if it happens sign me up for CJ Stroud. 

• Upvote 4

I saw that yesterday and I'm thinking to myself either they are way off or most of us Jet fans are.  I mean, I'm not picking the Jets to go to the playoffs this year, but picking first in the daft?  If that happens, there's going to be a lot of pissed off Jet fans and we're going to be head hunting for sure.

For this to happen, Zach would have to again to be the worst starting QB in the NFL.  He'd have to be horrid.

So...if it did in fact happen, we clearly go QB with the first pick, sit/trade/cut Zach, and try again.

Other than getting a legit Veteran (not a Journeyman), what choice do we have?

With that said, I simply do not see this happening.  IMO, no chance.

• Sympathy 1

I don't know what type of crack those ESPN writers are on, but there are multiple teams worse than the Jets. I mean, for starters the Texans didn't get any better. The Falcons kind of suck now even with Kyle Pitts, the Lions aren't going anywhere, and the Jaguars overpaid at practically every single position. Even last year, despite looking like the worst team in football, the Jets still had the No. 4 overall pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I don't know what type of crack those ESPN writers are on, but there are multiple teams worse than the Jets. I mean, for starters the Texans didn't get any better. The Falcons kind of suck now even with Kyle Pitts, the Lions aren't going anywhere, and the Jaguars overpaid at practically every single position. Even last year, despite looking like the worst team in football, the Jets still had the No. 4 overall pick.

Dave Chappelle Omg GIF

• Haha 1

Absurd prediction for clicks. Even if the Jets were the worst team of all time, they wouldn’t end up with the #1 pick.

I think the worst case scenario for this year is a pick in the 8-10 range. The wheels would have to completely fall off for a top 5 pick.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Obvious the team is improved.  We are almost all encouraged.

But the Jets are still closer to the first pick than a Super Bowl…

Much, much closer.  Like, I’m bullish on the future of this team, but still wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us picking around 6th-8th in 2023.

If Zach Wilson is a complete bust then there's a chance this will happen.  But I hope Zach is either a star or a complete bust.  If he's a bust, at least there are supposedly a couple of FQBs in this upcoming draft.

But I don't really take this ESPN prediction seriously.  I think the Jets are on their way up this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Zach Wilson is a complete bust then there's a chance this will happen.  But I hope Zach is either a star or a complete bust.  If he's a bust, at least there are supposedly a couple of FQBs in this upcoming draft.

But I don't really take this ESPN prediction seriously.  I think the Jets are on their way up this year.

Honestly, I am sick of picking new FQB's every 2 or 3 years.  If this happens the Jets should clean house upstairs.  

• Upvote 1

I know I pick on him but I did call him a fraud so I will at least stay true to what I said - where is Greenie with all the negative talk out of his network? He is one of their top guys, has a platform and according to him such a long time suffering fan.

Crickets.

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This happens Saleh and his entire crew are out and we are drafting a new QB.

this. if this happens they should all be fired including Douglas. i know people love some of the moves he makes....but 4 years into any job you need to have results. the jets cannot draft top 5 this year....which is a ridiculous statement in itself!

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its like jet fans salivate seeing this article.  Probably read it 4 or 5 times to feed their negativity.  The disease.  How sad.

Did you actually read any of the replies before you posted.

Because pretty much everyone disagreed with ESPN.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Much, much closer.  Like, I’m bullish on the future of this team, but still wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us picking around 6th-8th in 2023.

Only because they always screw up the chance to get the #1 pick, I can see them picking say 3rd this time. There will be a lot of great threads about which player should be picked, will they go for a QB or the top pass rusher, these type of threads have been starting around mid October lately, so yea from what I'm reading about Wilson's accuracy problems with NO PRESSURE on him in these OTAs, I just don't have a great feeling about our chances for that JN virtual Super Bowl Party next February. 

Its some stupid algorithm that they've been using to predict who will win a game, a series and here over an entire season.  I'm guessing its just to lure the degenerate gambles who look at games, series and seasons for obvious reasons now that leagues have opened up and allowed gambling services to advertise

I could care less and hope whoever is lured in loses their shirts