Mini Camp Updates

Lith

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson drops back, throws a short pass to Wilson, who tosses it back to Hall.  Hall tries to tackle him, but Hall tosses it, this time to Carter who outruns Carter to the corner.

And the New Jersey Dopplegangers score thr most meaningful touchdown in June history.

55 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You can only compete against those on the roster.

Zach Wilson beat out Mike White and Josh Johnson

Mac Jones beat out Brian Hoyer

Hoyer and Johnson are about equal.

Now you’re making yourself look and sound foolish, just to be argumentative.

Who ended the ‘20 season as the Pats QB, and was the returning starter going into their TC?
We know you know the answer… we’ll wait for you to tell us who it was.

cam newton GIF

20 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Now you’re making yourself look and sound foolish, just to be argumentative.

Who ended the ‘20 season as the Pats QB, and was the returning starter going into their TC?
We know you know the answer… we’ll wait for you to tell us who it was.

cam newton GIF

Nope. I actually let this go since the goal post was moved. The comment I responded to said Mac Jones won the job and Zach Wilson was handed the job. I asked for proof and Fish responded by essentially saying Wilson won the job because the bar was low. Now we are debating who had the higher bar to jump.

Zach last preseason 75%, 2 TD, 0 INT, 191 yards on 20 attempts that would have cleared the Brian Hoyer bar as well.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are getting great news about mini camp and half the thread is arguing if zach wilson is any good.

This fanbase is just awful.

To be fair...Jet fans have every right to be skeptical.  I am personally feeling very positive about what's happening with our team but hard to complain about some that are waiting to see if.  This team has used up all of its goodwill.

• Upvote 2

Zach Wilson was definitely handed the starting job last year.  His competition in training camp was Mike White and James Morgan.  Zach Wilson took all the starting reps in practices and preseason games from Day 1.  The fact that the Jets had a QB2 and QB3 on the roster (standard for every NFL team) is not proof of a competition.

In contrast, Cam Newton was the penciled in starter for the Patriots at the start of camp in 2021.  The plan was for Mac Jones to eventually take over, and all indications are that he was able to win the starting job sooner than expected, rendering Cam Newton expendable.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No, not in a mini camp thread where the players are doing very well out there.

Oh, okay. Thanks for setting us all straight about when and what we can and can't debate about the NY Jets on this NY Jets forum. You do a service for us all, Joe. What would we ever do without your guidance and wisdom?

2 hours ago, nycdan said:
  • Rodgers didn't play his first 3 years.
  • Favre didn't play his first season and was mediocre the next two.
  • Drew Brees didn't play is first season and was below mediocre in years 2 and 3.
  • Ben was a weird one.  Won ORoy his rookie year with good but not great stats but an awesome team around him.  Basically awful in years 2 and 3.  

But sure.  Go with your 90% and 100% stats.  

image.png

Yes, those are facts. Unfortunately they are not germane to the topic but hey, I have no problem with you bowling with the gutter rails up if you need the confidence boost.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wilson/Moore/Davis/Mims/Berrios

Nothing will make me happier than if Mims earns his spot in that group this year.

Any news about him being in good shape, and making plays, is a positive.  Even if it's just practice.

You just hate Mims and are praying he fails.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Zach Wilson was definitely handed the starting job last year.  His competition in training camp was Mike White and James Morgan.  Zach Wilson took all the starting reps in practices and preseason games from Day 1.  The fact that the Jets had a QB2 and QB3 on the roster (standard for every NFL team) is not proof of a competition.

In contrast, Cam Newton was the penciled in starter for the Patriots at the start of camp in 2021.  The plan was for Mac Jones to eventually take over, and all indications are that he was able to win the starting job sooner than expected, rendering Cam Newton expendable.

The fact that people here are actually disputing these things in order to make a point about Zach’s ability to play QB is both amazing and sad. I mean… why?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes, those are facts. Unfortunately they are not germane to the topic but hey, I have no problem with you bowling with the gutter rails up if you need the confidence boost.

"bowling with the gutter rails" genuinely made me laugh.  That phrase needs to go into the JN lexicon.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Nope. I actually let this go since the goal post was moved. The comment I responded to said Mac Jones won the job and Zach Wilson was handed the job. I asked for proof and Fish responded by essentially saying Wilson won the job because the bar was low. Now we are debating who had the higher bar to jump.

Zach last preseason 75%, 2 TD, 0 INT, 191 yards on 20 attempts that would have cleared the Brian Hoyer bar as well.

The goal post wasn't moved.  Fish was wrong.  Zach didn't win the job in pre-season.  He got the job the first day of OTA's. 

Mac didn't win the job in pre-season he won it during training camp.  

27 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The fact that people here are actually disputing these things in order to make a point about Zach’s ability to play QB is both amazing and sad. I mean… why?

Its pathetic and really dragging the board down.  This thread is filled with zach was handed the starting job, cam newton, Mac jones etc.  I mean, we had an awesome mini camp.  We are young, exciting and one of the up and coming teams in  this league.  What the hell are we doing as a fanbase?  Things need to change around here.

• Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe was always going to be the #2.

There's a reason they went out and signed Flacco as soon as Wilson got hurt.  

After NOT signing him in the off season when they could have.  Awful awful awful asset management by douglas and saleh on the back up QB situation.

Also White should be #2 100% for sure.

Flacco is trash.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its pathetic and really dragging the board down.  This thread is filled with zach was handed the starting job, cam newton, Mac jones etc.  I mean, we had an awesome mini camp.  We are young, exciting and one of the up and coming teams in  this league.  What the hell are we doing as a fanbase?  Things need to change around here.

We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the World

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They will as a whole when the wins come.  But we could make the playoffs this year and lose a nail biter to the eventual champs and I'm sure some people will find plenty of negatives next offseason.

But let's hope we have that problem this year.

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Walker had 2 1,000 yard seasons in a 13 season.  Toon had 2 in an 8 seasons.  They both had 1 all pro season.  Toon was a pro bowl player 3 times to Walkers 2.   Toon was the much better WR.  Toon made every catch and circus catches in double coverage all the time.  Walker beat single coverage all the time and dropped a ton of passes.  

Walker wasn't ever a great player.  He was very good with a ton of speed who often missed track balls that should have been huge gains.  When you talk about great WR Walker isn't in the conversation and sadly neither is Toon.  For my money Toon for a very brief time was as good as anyone I have ever seen.

Walker was a great deep threat.  They are a dime a dozen.  

To give you some perspective on Jets WR.  Before Toon played most fans think Maynard was the best ever.  He certainly put up stats.   Sauer who only played 3 years was all pro twice and had 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.  He lead the AFL in receptions in 67 and dropped nothing.  

In my opinion Toon is a lot like Gale Sayers.  A stunningly beautiful athlete who burned as bright as anyone for a very short time.   Walker was a great Jets WR who was a good not great NFL WR ever. 

Walker had 63 touchdowns in his first 10 years.  Toon had 31 touchdowns in his 8 year career.   After Walker's 10th season, he really wasn't the same player he was in his first 10 years.  So, if you want to really compare apples with apples, then knock off the final 3 years of Walkers career, and the numbers look much differently, don't they?  Walker had 2 pro-bowl seasons in his first 6 seasons.  Toon had 2 pro-bowls in 8 seasons.  

It's funny to me how you say being a deep threat is a dime-a -dozen".  If that were true, then how the heck did Walker become an all pro, and make the pro-bowl twice in his first 6 years?

This is the last I will discuss with you.  Your opinion of Toon being a better player than Walker is respectable, but saying that Toon was the much better player is agravating to me, since it's based upon emotion and not reality.  So, say what you want.  I'm done with your argument.

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

You do realize that Toon retired way too early because of concussions? In fact he was really in the prime of his career and if not for the injury could have played another 4-5 seasons, perhaps more.  After his rookie and soph seasons, he was considered the equal of Jerry Rice.  Lets be honest, as much as we all love Walker, he was never in that conversation.  In some respects I think Walker was under utilized but maybe that helped prolong his career.   I can only just imagine him (and Toon) in todays game where dbs get flagged if they sneeze on the receiver.   He would be another Tareek Hill.  

Toon was a great player, and I do realize that he retired way too early because of concussions.  I'm not in any way knocking Al Toon, believe me.  And saying that Toon was a better player than Wesley Walker doesn't bother me either, but saying that Toon was way better than Walker is just not the way I would state it.  By the way, did you know that Wesley Walker was considered "legally blind" in one eye during his playing career?  Walker was great despite his handicap.  Toon was great despite his many concussions.  Imagine if Walker could see out of both eyes, and Toon was concussion free?  Both of these guys deserve all the credit we can give them.

I loved Toon.  My favorite player as a kid.

Walker was better.  Availability has to count for something.  On top of the fact if they were both on the field and needed a big play, it usually went to Wesley. 

Imagine him in today's rules?  He'd be putting up Hill like numbers. 

• Post of the Week 1