Fair assessment of the game

Phillyjet

So Garret Wilson is playing well and everything.  But his playstyle has me really scared for his future.  He needs to put on about 20 pounds of muscle yesterday, if he wants to survive in this league.   That hit he took looked like someone snapping a pretzel in half.

• Upvote 2

Will disagree on JJ a bit.  I haven’t watched closely but I’ve heard some coaches comments that he did a really good job setting the edge last week and was a key reason the Jets shutdown the Baltimore rushing attack pretty well.  Today maybe not so much.  I’m not sure I’d call him a liability at this point.  He’s a rookie and having some ups and downs maybe.

Anyone have his PFF grades?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

It all starts with a W, which we desperately needed.  A win is a win, no matter how sloppy or no matter how much luck factors in.  These types of breaks never happen to the Jets, so we’ll take it.  Now on to some more nuanced analysis:

The positives:

1) Garrett Wilson: this one’s obvious, has already established himself as the best player on offense, and a true #1.  Pretty impressive.

2) DJ Reed: Sauce is learning the ropes and gets the press, but DJ is acting like the second coming of Revis.  Dude has been on fire the last couple of weeks.

3) Carl Lawson (with honorable mention to Q): Big players show up in big spots, and that sack in the 4th quarter was money.  WIthout that sack, the Browns easily close out this game.

4) The RB’s: what a great 1-2 punch; if the line can get their sh*t together, these guys can be potent.  

5)  Playmakers on offense: these aren’t your same old Jets.

Honorable mention: Max Mitchell: held his own, not perfect, but these reps are priceless for a player that might be our future right tackle.  Duane Brown backs up Fant when he returns. Also Ashtyn Davis, for a big play late; gets a lot of sh*t here, but that was a money play. 

Now the Negatives:

1) Lamarcus Joyner: thank goodness Davis was on the field for that last play, because Joyner again this week was garbage.  Some awful arm tackling out there, the kind of stuff that gets most players benched.  I would start Davis over Joyner.  

2) Broken tackles: too numerous to count.  We’re not going to win many games giving up 184 yards rushing.  A trend of sloppy play continues

3) Fant and the left side of the line: yikes.  They settled down late, so hopefully we’ll continue to see improvement

4) Sloppy play:  again, the lack of crispness and discipline continues to be a theme.  This is on the coaches as much as the players.  We got some breaks today, but if that garbage continues, we will lose more than we win.  And please, how many times are the Jets gonna let a screen develop without adjusting on D?  That’s on the coaches.  Probably also an artifact of the rookies playing on the line. Clemons in particular pins his ears and just goes. 

Honorable mention: quiet week for JJ and Clemons; so far we aren’t seeing special from JJ, he’s a liability out there right now. Tyler Conklin still working through some sh*t.  He’s lucky Mitchell saved him on that fumble. 

1 thing to note is a lot of the arm tackling in the 4th quarter has to do with defensive players thinking they had to make a turnover rather then just making the tackle and Saleh even said as much in his post game... He addressed by saying they have to learn to tackle before going for the ball they shouldn't have been selling out for the turnover.... And he said that needs to be corrected... 

Joyner is just collecting a pay check but Tony Adams got beat bad twice... Not sure the solution there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Props to ML for getting his playmakers on the field. I was worried it would take him weeks to figure it out. We should be heavy 11 personnel with Davis, Wilson, Moore and Conklin on the field. Bring in Berrios to give guys a rest. And occasionally bring in Ruckert to run 12. Not rocket science. But Im glad he did that today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, Hael said:

So Garret Wilson is playing well and everything.  But his playstyle has me really scared for his future.  He needs to put on about 20 pounds of muscle yesterday, if he wants to survive in this league.   That hit he took looked like someone snapping a pretzel in half.

Jamarr chase is only about 8 lbs heavier than Wilson and seems to be pretty damn good 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I was overall satisfied with the level of play when I thought it was a 17-30 loss. The Browns have talent everywhere. I was however disappointed with the drops, passes to the sidelines that Flacco missed badly on, penalties and the fact that the D couldn’t stop the Browns run game in crunch time because that’s the stuff that made it 17-30. The Win feels great because the players never quit but it doesn’t change everything that led to a 17-30 deficit. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Huge positive special teams.   Big field goal, executed fake punt, executed on side kick. Made all the extra points.   

Props to Saleh going for the fake punt.   Big turnaround play that kept us in the game.  

If there is one game that we point to as a turnaround for the team this may be it.  It seemed like everything that usually goes wrong for the jets went right.  Fake punt, on sides kick.  Missed extra point.  Bad coaching.  Botched coverage.  Clutch passing.  Lots of rookies making plays.  There’s another thread about what the nickname for this game should be.  I think I’ll refer to it as ‘the opposite game’.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was overall satisfied with the level of play when I thought it was a 17-30 loss. The Browns have talent everywhere. I was however disappointed with the drops, passes to the sidelines that Flacco missed badly on, penalties and the fact that the D couldn’t stop the Browns run game in crunch time because that’s the stuff that made it 17-30. The Win feels great because the players never quit but it doesn’t change everything that led to a 17-30 deficit. 

Unlike last week when the D wasn't on the field all day and wasn't gassed, this week the D was on the field for a very long time.   The Browns dominated TOP by a lot.  The D held up.  We were in a tie game   into the 4th.  The Browns had a long TD drive to take a 1 score lead.   We three and outed using a minute 30 before punting the ball back.  That was with 7:51 left in the game.   The Browns didn't score on the next drive but took the clock down to 4:07.  We gave it right back to them.    It was a one score game until 2:02 in the fourth quarter when they scored to make it a two score game.

The Browns are a physical running team.  We didn't sustain any drives in the 4th quarter for more than 2 minutes.   We kept it a 1 score game down to the 2 minute warning.  A lot of things went right for us to pull that game out.

The D played pretty well with the exception of the last drive.  The Jets O was speeding things up to get back and the Wilson drop was a killer.  The combination of speeding things up to get back the 1 score and the failed execution on third down played right into the strength of the Browns O.    We overcame it.  A lot went right but the team hung in so when it went right we won.  

FYI we have talent everywhere.   The Jets have talent everywhere.  It's not remotely like the last few years.

The gashed us in the screen game because guys were overpursuing.  The effort was there.  There needs to be some things cleaned up.  Overall you can see the talent emerging.  We have competitive NFL players.  

Fun to watch a game that's entertaining and you can see the talent emerging.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

It all starts with a W, which we desperately needed.  A win is a win, no matter how sloppy or no matter how much luck factors in.  These types of breaks never happen to the Jets, so we’ll take it.  Now on to some more nuanced analysis:

The positives:

1) Garrett Wilson: this one’s obvious, has already established himself as the best player on offense, and a true #1.  Pretty impressive.

2) DJ Reed: Sauce is learning the ropes and gets the press, but DJ is acting like the second coming of Revis.  Dude has been on fire the last couple of weeks.

3) Carl Lawson (with honorable mention to Q): Big players show up in big spots, and that sack in the 4th quarter was money.  WIthout that sack, the Browns easily close out this game.

4) The RB’s: what a great 1-2 punch; if the line can get their sh*t together, these guys can be potent.  

Honorable mention: Max Mitchell: held his own, not perfect, but these reps are priceless for a player that might be our future right tackle.  Duane Brown backs up Fant when he returns. Also Ashtyn Davis, for a big play late; gets a lot of sh*t here, but that was a money play. 

Now the Negatives:

1) Lamarcus Joyner: thank goodness Davis was on the field for that last play, because Joyner again this week was garbage.  Some awful arm tackling out there, the kind of stuff that gets most players benched.  I would start Davis over Joyner.  

2) Broken tackles: too numerous to count.  We’re not going to win many games giving up 184 yards rushing.  A trend of sloppy play continues

3) Fant and the left side of the line: yikes.  They settled down late, so hopefully we’ll continue to see improvement

4) Sloppy play:  again, the lack of crispness and discipline continues to be a theme.  This is on the coaches as much as the players.  We got some breaks today, but if that garbage continues, we will lose more than we win.  And please, how many times are the Jets gonna let a screen develop without adjusting on D?  That’s on the coaches.  Probably also an artifact of the rookies playing on the line. Clemons in particular pins his ears and just goes. 

Honorable mention: quiet week for JJ and Clemons; so far we aren’t seeing special from JJ, he’s a liability out there right now. Tyler Conklin still working through some sh*t.  He’s lucky Mitchell saved him on that fumble. 

Good points.

Defense got very little if any pressure on Brissett. They could not handle the Browns screen game and towards the end Chubb ran through them.

OL was better but not where I would like to see them. I'll be happy when Brown gets back.

Communication has to be better in the secondary. The Cooper TD looks like Sause passed him off the Whitehead who did not pick him up leaving and easy TD.

8 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Good points.

Defense got very little if any pressure on Brissett. They could not handle the Browns screen game and towards the end Chubb ran through them.

OL was better but not where I would like to see them. I'll be happy when Brown gets back.

Communication has to be better in the secondary. The Cooper TD looks like Sause passed him off the Whitehead who did not pick him up leaving and easy TD.

The screen pass has been the Jets Achilles heel for my entire adult life.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

DJ Reed has been playing very well although that first? Chubb touchdown around the edge Reed had outside containment and blew it by peeking inside if he would have stuck to his assignment he would have been in perfect position to make the tackle - Joyner sucks - Max is a very pleasant surprise - Clemons I can live with some of his rookie mistakes because when he lays the lumber people get hurt - Loving our RB’s except for Ty Johnson - Conklin has hands of stone it seems - I want to see more of 1 Wilson 2 Moore & Slot Berrios on the field at the same time with Hall in the backfield - the defense is playing well even though we are giving up a lot of points it seems - need the vaunted DL to step up and create pressure and do better against the run - yeah I know Chubb/Hunt combo is a problem - but still.  Flacco did well but I am curious to see what a more mobile QB can do when the pocket breaks down ie anyone on the roster but Flacco but more especially Zach - if he cant get it done with these weapons this season I think JD will have a huge decision to make.  Bring on the Bengals who should be extra mad and hungry and present a real challenge. 

7 hours ago, Hael said:

To an extent I get your point but in todays NFL, these smaller shiftier guys are thriving. Garrett wilson is listed at 6' - 195.

Waddle is 5 10' 185

Tyreek hill 5 10' 190

Antonio Brown 5 10' 190

Stefon Diggs 6' 194

I could go on with more guys with similar height / weight, but in todays NFL, you don't need to have Julio jones / DK metcalk measurables to be successful. Garrett wilson will put on some weight / muscle in the next few offseasons but it should'nt mean much. What these successful smaller WRers have figured out / what wilson will have to figure out is how to make the catches while avoiding the big hits. 

• Upvote 2

To an extent I get your point but in todays NFL, these smaller shiftier guys are thriving. Garrett wilson is listed at 6' - 195.

Waddle is 5 10' 185
Tyreek hill 5 10' 190
Antonio Brown 5 10' 190
Stefon Diggs 6' 194
I could go on with more guys with similar height / weight, but in todays NFL, you don't need to have Julio jones / DK metcalk measurables to be successful. Garrett wilson will put on some weight / muscle in the next few offseasons but it should'nt mean much. What these successful smaller WRers have figured out / what wilson will have to figure out is how to make the catches while avoiding the big hits. 

Wilson getting crushed was really on the qb for the high throw...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, frankiepapa said:

Wilson getting crushed was really on the qb for the high throw...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I agree with you there and that will be another issue for our WRers. Good QB's throw their WRers to spots where they dont get crushed / can protect themselves.

8 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

The positives:

Now the Negatives:

pretty good assessment.  to me this was one of those early anything can happen games.  the browns had this game iced and gave it away.  and as you pointed out, davis doesn't make that int and there was a chance that the browns would've gotten a fg even with so little time left.  the browns and chubb really were slicing up the jet defense.  brissett was able to ad lib effectively.  so they get the win and it's great they continued to fight until the end but it's not like they won as much as the browns lost.  it's not going to get any easier from here on out but it's still better to start with an early win.  i can't wait to see the wilson to wilson connections.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Completely agree, the drops, the penalties, the inability to stop the run, all issues. Not a very disciplined team.

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I agree with you there and that will be another issue for our WRers. Good QB's throw their WRers to spots where they dont get crushed / can protect themselves.

Yeah, good point... and I'm not trying to bad mouth Flacco, because he did make alot of good plays, but there were a bunch of throws he also missed... 

8 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

The positives:

Now the Negatives:

Good Summary. Anybody know what happened to KRL?

Saleh called out the bad tackling especially in the 4th when they were going for the ball instead of tackling. The screens are still upsetting, but the truth is we still don't have the LBs for this system. This system really needs fast, strong LBs and we don't really have enough of them. We also do not have good safeties - so the D will struggle against good offenses.

As far as Chubb running over us - yep, but that is what he does and he put up almost twice the yardage last week.

I think the JJ criticism is a bit off. It isn't all about stats; he did a fine job most of the game containing the edge (except for a few). He will start getting more pressures and sacks especially if they play a team that doesn't have the great running game. And if the Jets can ever jump out to a decent lead, he could pin his ears back.

On positives I would add Max - rookie 4th round draft pick held up reasonably well against a very strong pass rusher. If he can earn the starting job when Brown is back, that will make a 1-2 punch on the right side of the line for JD - we now just need 2-3 more :-).

On negatives I would add whomever threw a punch after that kick-off. He should be benched if not released over that.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Will disagree on JJ a bit.  I haven’t watched closely but I’ve heard some coaches comments that he did a really good job setting the edge last week and was a key reason the Jets shutdown the Baltimore rushing attack pretty well.  Today maybe not so much.  I’m not sure I’d call him a liability at this point.  He’s a rookie and having some ups and downs maybe.

Anyone have his PFF grades?

Your grade would be more accurate than what PFF gives us.

• Haha 1

Here’s one that’s more of a mulligan that’s easily corrected: better communication from the sideline to the field, because the stage was set for the Jets’ D (on Cleveland’s last TWO drives) to have as much of a brainfart as Chubb failing to take a knee:

1. They should’ve cleared a path to let Chubb in (think NE letting Greene score in our last playoff win). As it is the only reason he got in is because of a missed tackle.

2. More evidence of the D not knowing the game situation, right before Davis’s pick. Defensive captain CJ Mosley didn’t even know the score & thought Davis was screwing up by sliding (see last paragraph here).

• So apparently if Mosley, Reed, and at least one other defender had been the one to pick off the pass, they’d have tried to run it back for a FG to try to break up the “tie” that wasn’t. With his initial run-back before sliding, could be Davis didn’t realize either.
  • That whole last drive everyone on D has to be reminded: if you pick off a pass or pick up a fumble, hit the dirt.

Luckily this time the Jets, unlike the Browns, get these mulligans. But it does speak to a huge gaffe of non-communication from the sideline, and I’m sorry but just flat-out players not paying attention. How does the defensive captain - and it seems at least two others - not even know the score when taking the field in a must-stop final defensive stand?

Thrilled with the win — I’m in the take ‘em any way we can get ‘em camp — but this is just bad coaching and bad veteran leadership. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Completely agree, the drops, the penalties, the inability to stop the run, all issues. Not a very disciplined team.

To be fair, most of the drops were by rookies; Wilson our best player yesterday had one too. It happens. I don't believe it is a discipline problem.

On stopping the run, except in the 4th quarter where they were arm-tackling and going for the ball instead of the tackle, the did about as well as you can expect against Cleveland. Cleveland runs on everyone - Chubb had almost twice the rushing yards last week. The D did stop them a few times. We also do not have the right LBs for this defense - so while it needs to improve - other than the 4th Q breakdown - I don't think it is discipline - and Saleh came out and said arm-tackling and going to for the ball is not acceptable.

As for the penalties - a good chunk of them were BS calls. The refs were terrible. yes, there was the punch on the kick-off and Saleh/JD needs to make an example of that player. Clemments can't go for the knees of the QB; those 2 are discipline. Most of the penalties on the OL probably have more to do with the OL not playing together enough. Lets see if they can clean those up over the next couple of weeks.

A newly configured OL with a rookie and and a second year player playing in a new spot will take time to work together. And with the late injury to Brown and the shortened pre-season, teams can be sloppy going into the first 4 games.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Good write-up. I’ll chip in a few observations.

1.) The defense (mostly) is pathetic at tackling. Like fundamentally tragic. This leads to not getting off the field.

2.) Breece Hall was dominant. He should have been touching the ball more, and there were many drives where we got to 3rd and long because we didn’t keep pounding the ball. Instead, we opted for lower percentage plays.

3.) Saleh showed good emotion, which I know matters for many here. However, to me it cost is about 30 seconds after the stop at end game. He needs better people in his ear feeding him situational awareness. Very fixable.

4.) Pass rush need to get home. 

5.) A win is a win. Well done.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1.) The defense (mostly) is pathetic at tackling. Like fundamentally tragic. This leads to not getting off the field.

2.) Breece Hall was dominant. He should have been touching the ball more, and there were many drives where we got to 3rd and long because we didn’t keep pounding the ball. Instead, we opted for lower percentage plays.

3.) Saleh showed good emotion, which I know matters for many here. However, to me it cost is about 30 seconds after the stop at end game. He needs better people in his ear feeding him situational awareness. Very fixable.

Agree as well.

I would add Vera Tucker to the positives - he was mauling people when I would see the camera on him.

Unexpected win - but as you say a win is a win.

Sets up for a nice game against the Bengals. 

Keep Joyner off the field - this guy is looking like Trumaine 2.0 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Put me in the "meat head" category of liking the coach get emotional when the refs make bad calls.  

This can cause the ref to keep the flag in his pocket next time or it will even amount to a "make-up" penalty when the coach doesn't let his team get walked on.  

• Upvote 1

Im thrilled with the win, but that was about as unlikely a win as you will get in this league. Down 13 with 3 min or so to play and coming up with the win is not a recipe for winning consistently.

I agree with all the positives, a true 1 receiver is a game changer along with solid O line play.

We gave up 30 points to a backup QB, thats really bad.

Hopefully we can tighten up the D and improve in other areas. The offense has potential.

• Upvote 1

Jets have lost many games in the past due to a lack of talent. They now have a good level of NFL talent. Jets won yesterday because they executed that talent. Yesterday could be a turning point for these players hope they and the Staff learned something from yesterday and move forward.

• Upvote 1