How did Geno become good?

Facts

He's playing good ball right now. Efficient and not making a lot of mistakes. However, he's still a punk lol and it would be so Genoesque if his suspension came down from his outrageous arrest last new year's right when he's playing well to end the party.

Geno never wastes an opportunity to waste an opportunity...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Sam Darnold through 5 games in 2021: 6 TD, 6 INT, 4 fumbles, 7.49 average Y/A, 85.4 average passer rating

Geno Smith through 5 games in 2022: 9TD, 2 INT, 1 fumble, 8.46 average Y/A, 114.2 average passer rating

Tell me more about how these are the same!

Hi douchebag you’re right, it was 4 weeks. Where he led the NFL in passing yards, was completing 68% of his passes, and had 10 total TDs to 3 picks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t know and don’t really care 

Even if it’s sustainable, it took him a solid decade to reach this point and he’s 32.

He was a turnover prone douchebag when he was here and I have zero regrets over turning the page.

We now have a QB who is 10 years younger and hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential.

Good times in Jets land

I feel the same way you do.  However, I have thought about Geno's game lately, and I feel that it has to do with his maturity.  He always had the talent and ability to be successful, but I felt that he was an immature jerk when he was with the Jets.  I didn't want to wait the 10 years that it took for him to get where he is now, and while I don't begrudge him for his success, I hope that the Seahawks lose every single game they play.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t know and don’t really care 

Even if it’s sustainable, it took him a solid decade to reach this point and he’s 32.

He was a turnover prone douchebag when he was here and I have zero regrets over turning the page.

We now have a QB who is 10 years younger and hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential.

Good times in Jets land

Doesn’t mean anything today. Rich Gannon was 37 when he was the league MVP. He was 34 when he got his first pro bowl. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly, a lot of the guys that don’t peak right away sort of arrive after 6-8 years at the height of what they’re capable of… and it usually requires a system fit type thing. Look back at Jake Plummer, he’s a perfect example. He was never great, but all of a sudden he wasn’t a joke anymore. That’s Geno right now.

That said, the Seattle defense is putrid, so I’m curious what part of his stat accumulation is garbage time and/or playing catch-up.

I watched the highlights of that game. It was a back and forth game and he made some great throws in the fourth, they almost came back and won the game. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Doesn’t mean anything today. Rich Gannon was 37 when he was the league MVP. He was 34 when he got his first pro bowl. 

Sure, and Rich Gannon is in a small line of QB’s who reversed their fortunes after 10+ years of failure.

Will Geno join him?

Maybe

Though I seriously doubt it

Either way, what were the Jets supposed to do? Devote a decade to a QB with immaturity issues that they took a flyer on in the 2nd round in the hopes that he would someday “get it”?

That would be like us giving Kellen Clemens until 2016 to eventually turn things around.

Geno lost his job 7 years ago to a mediocre journeyman thanks to immature bullsh*t and he’s finally showing signs of turning things around.

I don’t wish ill will upon the guy, but I’m not exactly filled with regret either.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is what I picture for Darnold's career.  An out-of-nowhere ascension.

10 years of being in the league is NOT an out of nowhere ascension. 

Its bound to happen as QB needs many years to really master the nuances and speed of the position and many have excelled/improved significantly as older veterans: Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Brad Johnson, R.A. Dickey, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, and now Geno Smith

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

10 years of being in the league is NOT an out of nowhere ascension. 

Its bound to happen as QB needs many years to really master the nuances and speed of the position and many have excelled/improved significantly as older veterans: Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Brad Johnson, R.A. Dickey, Jeff George, Scott Mitchell, and now Geno Smith

Geno bounced around to different teams.  If Chase Daniel (who has been in the league a long time) suddenly was a highly rated QB, you wouldn't say that was an out-of-nowhere ascension?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Geno bounced around to different teams.  If Chase Daniel (who has been in the league a long time) suddenly was a highly rated QB, you wouldn't say that was an out-of-nowhere ascension?  

No, because apprenticeship and years of experience actually contributes to forming a better understanding & preparation of the profession/position. 
The longer you sit to master the intricacies of the craft, the better you’ll perform despite limited athletic ability. 
Thus why the Doug Petersons, Josh McCowns, Ty Detmers, Jeff Garcias, etc all were starting QBs in their later years (and usually for new regimes and where QB bridge is needed to usually groom the young Draft pick QB)

• Upvote 1