Jets acquire James Robinson [merged]

Larz

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow, the Pats look like dog sh-t

can't remember the last time ne was embarassed at home like that.  even more glaring it was on mnf and against a sub 500 team.

there use to be a thing where you're never as good or as bad as  you played in any said week.  historically belly would ruin the next team on the schedule

2 hours ago, sciond said:

I’m aware, but using the phrase “Damaged goods” implies, at least to me, that he is damaged beyond repair or of little use to us.  Which is far from the truth.  

That knee injury Pederson is talking about was primarily a bit of a ruse to keep him out of harms way so a trade could be made, is my guess.  Nothing to worry about.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m aware, but using the phrase “Damaged goods” implies, at least to me, that he is damaged beyond repair or of little use to us.  Which is far from the truth.  

That knee injury Pederson is talking about was primarily a bit of a ruse to keep him out of harms way so a trade could be made, is my guess.  Nothing to worry about.  

pretty big leap there....

since when is damage not repairable

22 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This was good news to wake up to this morning.

Good young player who runs hard, can catch and who is a good teammate.

Looks like we will be sending a 5th, which is fine for what Robinson will bring.

Provides a complement to Carter this year, and can be retained for a reasonable contract next year if needed to allow Hall time to recover from his injury.

Very good piece of business by JD, and sends a message that the Jets are serious about making a playoff push this season.

Agreed. JD on the ball on this, it just takes pressure off Carter and gives us extra options and if it works out, we lose a 5th, that’s not a bad deal.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Carter + Robinson is a better option than Carter + Ty Johnson for the next 10 games. That’s all this is.

Also can we not call Breece Barry Sanders after 6.5 games?

If we traded for Breece you all would point out… 60ypg only 4 TD… barely 4YPA when you remove his 2 long runs… can’t pass protect… 

He is a great draft pick but it’s not like Carter will only be 50% of the guy.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Carter + Robinson is a better option than Carter + Ty Johnson for the next 10 games. That’s all this is.

I’m also a bit surprised that TJ is the 3rd back all this time, i figured they’d want someone else there.  Based on bam’s running style i would think he could become the 3rd back by the end of the season, esp. if he can contribute on ST.  

Seeing ESPN Analytics on ESPN+ grade this trade in favor of the Jags is surprising. I know fans will criticize the source, but they see a 5th round pick as having value and Robinson as a “standard back.”  They mention the Achilles injury but not his current condition (sore knees) that prevented him from playing last Sunday.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Very good piece of business by JD, and sends a message that the Jets are serious about making a playoff push this season.

Very good business indeed. Looking forward to JR going all Beast Mode for the next 10 games going for 700 yards rushing, 45 receptions for 300 yards and 10 total TD’s for a 5th. 
The legend of JD will be meteoric!

Now he needs to find a solid Guard to replace AVT and have Fant come back healthy this week. 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whether he is or isn't, his pure running ability/ability to find the hole is probably his best trait.

He fits this team like a glove.  We've found our early down back replacement.  And he's a great get for beyond 2022 as well if we choose to extend him (which we should).  

can we finally cut Ty?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, extmenace said:

1984 huh. Go ahead and show me a single rb that has been in the league 3 years after they sustained an achillies injury aside from d’onta foreman.

Give us a list of all the starting RBs, league leading rushers, who sustained an Achilles and were out of the league in 3 years.  
How about the list of starting RBs who had an Achilles 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, extmenace said:

1984 huh. Go ahead and show me a single rb that has been in the league 3 years after they sustained an achillies injury aside from d’onta foreman.

who cares about 3 years from now?

he's already playing this year in a part-time role and has more rushing yards than najee harris, david montgomery, aj dillon, antonio gibson, damien harris, kareem hunt, and devin singletary.  the jets gave up a (likely) 5th round pick for him to play a part-time role along carter.

i get people are still upset over the devastating loss of hall.  you can't replace that level of talent.

but it is crazy for anyone to see this move as anything other than a huge positive.  the only downside is a loss of a (likely) 5th rounder next year.  the upside is huge.   

freakin steal

• Upvote 4

This was a gamble by JD. But a good one. At a low price. 

Prior to this move I said the following: JD will 1. scour teams for RBs he can get for a 6th, at most a 5th, who will be an upgrade over Ty and Bam and 2. scour FA for RBs who could be an upgrade over Ty and Bam. 

Well, this is what we got. JD got Robinson. A CLEAR upgrade over Ty and Bam. I'm not buying any 'he's washed up' or 'he's not even close to what he used to be' talk. Robinson can still play at a high level. I'm also not buying the 'sore knee' (which kept him out of the game) as a major factor down the road for the Jets. He should be good to go against the Pats. He wasn't even on the injury report for the Jags. Sounds minor and sounds like the Jags wanted to involve Etienne and Hasty more. 

But this is a gamble because there is some concern that Robinson will get injured again, at minimum get banged up and sidelined. He used to be Mr. dependable but now his durability could be a concern. Its a good gamble because if Robinson DOES get hurt, odds are we only lose a 6th (not a 5th). If he stays healthy, his contribution could be HUGE and worth way more than a 5th round pick, which JD will figure out a way to re-coop anyway (Bryce Hall trade?).  

• Upvote 2

I’m good with the trade of a likely 5th pick for Robinson. JD wasn’t in a position to “win” a trade..at least via an initial analysis.  Of course, it may turn out quite well as the season goes along and he heals quickly from the knee soreness that kept him out of action last game. I’m sure it’s been thoroughly checked out as mild and temporary.

Robinson grades out well as a blocker and as a teammate.  

Cautiously optimistic, at best, going up against BB, especially coming off an embarrassing whipping by the Bears at home.  If Saleh and Co can match BB with schemes/preparedness, etc..we should win.

So much is up to the play of our QB.  Big moment for him. If he shines, Jets win going away.

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

You can't take these analytic guys seriously, they were the same ones who criticized the Jets for trading up to get

AVT and Hall because they didn't play "premium" positions.  But both players have turned into "premium" players

very quickly, so was it worth trading up for them?  YES!!!

I take the analytic analyses “semi-seriously”

certainly can be questioned and not foolproof, but not worthless..as many seem to think. 

I value and weigh-in “intangibles”..such as “character.”  Sounds like for Robinson it’s a + in his favor.  Just a hunch that he outperforms the projections and it’s a “win” for JD.

more importantly..it’s about how our extremely thinned out OL can perform

Defenses will be jamming the box and pressing our receivers.  Deep routes will be scarce.  However, our D is pretty much intact.  Just have to be fully prepared for what BB will have up his sleeve in an effort to confuse and fool them.

35 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Never said that was my expectation. I just don’t think this moves the needle much for us this year. I like the trade, but we still have a huge impossible to fill hole. 

Bottom line, he helps the run game, the offense.  He’s better than what we have behind Carter.  Unfortunately we never were going to replace Hall but this helps.  A lot 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

I take the analytic analyses “semi-seriously”

certainly can be questioned and not foolproof, but not worthless..as many seem to think. 

Analytics are a tool to use but not gospel to be used 100%. Drafting “non-premium” positions early goes against analytics, but a good “old fashioned” talent evaluation by savvy scouts and GMs have to carry more weight in my opinion. Same with coaching decisions as to whether go for it or punt/kick a FG, sometimes the coach has the feel for how the game is going which can outweigh the analytics.