Time to put your name on it….Is Robert Saleh a good Coach?

Just now, JTJet said:

I take sole credit for holding Saleh's feet to the fire and motivating him to step up his coaching. 

You're welcome. 

You know what Saleh doesn't have to say anymore?  Stuff like "this is a different team.  We're going to win games", etc.  Because he's letting the team's play do the talking for him, on the field.   That's the way it should be done.  I still hated the receipts comment.  But who cares at this point!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Robert Saleh, Mike Lafleur, Brant Boyer and Jeff Ulbrich are all good coaches.

GM: Check

HC: Check

QB: ?? TBD. If Saleh still believes in him, so will I

That’s the trifecta

For me the jury is still out on LaFleur,  The fact that he had Zach throwing the ball over 40 times against NE while only  rushing 14 against a team that has struggled against the run, shows his propensity to "overthinking".   Also, it has taken an injury to Davis for him to start to utilize Mims.  I mean the guy didn't even DRESS for 4 or 5 games.   That made absolutely no sense to me.  I don't what to hear about how great Jeff Smith is on ST.  Lets get real; that dude is easily replaceable when it gets right down to it.   How many physical 6'3 215 receivers do we have who are excellent blockers, run sub 4.4 and perfect 50-50 ballers are on the team??   

Now we the Moore situation, that since we are winning, is easily overlooked.   However, this guy is a legit weapon that we need to figure out how to get the ball to.  

Both of those guys would be getting a lot more targets If they played on any other team.   The fact that he had Mims BURIED on the depth chart seemed more personal than anything.   Moore should have kept his mouth shut but that doesn' absolve Lafleur for not finding ways to get him involved.  I mean hell, have him line up in the backfield, do end arounds, screens, something; JUST GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS.  

Fortunately we have the bye so I sincerely hope Lafluer can figure out how to get Zach and his playmakers on the same page.   We have some very tough games ahead and we need to make sure we are getting the most of our offensive talent.   Garrett Wilson looks great but he could use some help.  

bTw I am not saying that Lafleur sucks or anything, but he really needs to improve in how he utilizes the talent on offense.   

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Considering Saleh and both coordinators were rookies last year (in their current positions), I think last year was a learning year, and this year it shows that they are learning. I wouldn't yet call Saleh a great coach, but all three have shown improvement and are now, I believe, "good" coaches. I also believe they have the potential to be great coaches. Just like rookie players, some hit it out of the gate, but most need time to learn the position and improve. Just look at that scum Belichick. He sucked in his first stint as HC but, as much as I hate him, he now is #2 in NFL history in wins.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

He’s a very good coach, and the Jets are fortunate to have him. 

I’ve posted this so many times that I can now post it almost entirely using predictive text: last season was a 20 game exhibition season. Last year was all about installing their systems and altering the culture. Evaluating themselves and the players. Wins were a distant afterthought most weeks, what they wanted to see was specific growth. I remember Ulbrich, in particular, hearing a lot of **** from the podium late in the season, and he stood there and told you the defense was improving and they could see it. You can certainly see it now. 

The Zach questions will persist, largely because they’re the only complaint left. But because this team is so well constructed and so well coached, I’m not worried about it. They’ll get Zach up to speed. If they don’t, they’ll figure out a solution. I can’t recall feeling better about a Jets’ GM/HC combo. 

This sums it up beautifully. It’s sad that this question is even being asked. No one could have won with last year’s roster and with all the injuries this year our record is a miracle. He’s way ahead of schedule and an excellent coach who will only get better with more head coaching experience.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Overall his winning percentage is still poor at .385 for his career and almost certainly will remain below .500 through this year.

Are you really going to bang Saleh for a losing record with the roster he had in 2021 as a rookie head coach? 

I am going to throw away his best and worst seasons before I judge Saleh.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the sample size is large enough to get a very good feel for what he is as a coach.  That said, it’s been a tale of 2 seasons.  2021 was abysmal by all accounts.  Record wise, team stats wise, everything.

2022 has been quite positive in all regards.  Team is winning,  offense has been respectable and defense has been borderline elite and special teams have been outstanding as well.

Overall his winning percentage is still poor at .385 for his career and almost certainly will remain below .500 through this year.  If you average the team unit rankings for his career both offense and defense are in the vicinity of 20.  Offense 22 and D 19.5

Just strictly from an overall statistical standpoint the answer would point to no, not a good coach.

My answer however is yes, he is, and I think it was an excellent hire.

I’ve been in his camp the whole time, and only wavered the week of the ‘receipts’ comment. Then I kinda figure he did it to call attention to himself.

I like the guy and think he is coming into his own before our eyes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You know what Saleh doesn't have to say anymore?  Stuff like "this is a different team.  We're going to win games", etc.  Because he's letting the team's play do the talking for him, on the field.   That's the way it should be done.  I still hated the receipts comment.  But who cares at this point!

I did too but he deflected the criticism of the players onto himself and by doing so galivanized this team.  Think about that... I wanted him and was gald we hired him and then I started to doubt but everyting he has stated (young team will click), Criticizing ZW play in NE game, etc.   has come true... He knows what he is doing but he is still learning and yet he has the team believing in the system, themselves and to boot they are winning.   

15 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Are you really going to bang Saleh for a losing record with the roster he had in 2021 as a rookie head coach? 

I am going to throw away his best and worst seasons before I judge Saleh.

Interesting and I will agree. Exact same can be said for Zach ..just throw year 1 out.

Edited by Dunnie

21 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the sample size is large enough to get a very good feel for what he is as a coach.  That said, it’s been a tale of 2 seasons.  2021 was abysmal by all accounts.  Record wise, team stats wise, everything.

2022 has been quite positive in all regards.  Team is winning,  offense has been respectable and defense has been borderline elite and special teams have been outstanding as well.

Overall his winning percentage is still poor at .385 for his career and almost certainly will remain below .500 through this year.  If you average the team unit rankings for his career both offense and defense are in the vicinity of 20.  Offense 22 and D 19.5

Just strictly from an overall statistical standpoint the answer would point to no, not a good coach.

Im not sure ... but I like him so I will say Yes.  Typically rah rah guys and I don't mesh. The staff he has assembled seems pretty legit at this point.

16 hours ago, JetBlue said:

For me the jury is still out on LaFleur,  The fact that he had Zach throwing the ball over 40 times against NE while only  rushing 14 against a team that has struggled against the run, shows his propensity to "overthinking".   Also, it has taken an injury to Davis for him to start to utilize Mims.  I mean the guy didn't even DRESS for 4 or 5 games.   That made absolutely no sense to me.  I don't what to hear about how great Jeff Smith is on ST.  Lets get real; that dude is easily replaceable when it gets right down to it.   How many physical 6'3 215 receivers do we have who are excellent blockers, run sub 4.4 and perfect 50-50 ballers are on the team??   

Now we the Moore situation, that since we are winning, is easily overlooked.   However, this guy is a legit weapon that we need to figure out how to get the ball to.  

Both of those guys would be getting a lot more targets If they played on any other team.   The fact that he had Mims BURIED on the depth chart seemed more personal than anything.   Moore should have kept his mouth shut but that doesn' absolve Lafleur for not finding ways to get him involved.  I mean hell, have him line up in the backfield, do end arounds, screens, something; JUST GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS.  

Fortunately we have the bye so I sincerely hope Lafluer can figure out how to get Zach and his playmakers on the same page.   We have some very tough games ahead and we need to make sure we are getting the most of our offensive talent.   Garrett Wilson looks great but he could use some help.  

bTw I am not saying that Lafleur sucks or anything, but he really needs to improve in how he utilizes the talent on offense.   

That’s your complaint, 40 passes vs the Pats, in a game we should have won and were  the better team and Mims not playing enough?  These things are more important than all the other good that’s lead to 6-3?  Really?

• More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s your complaint, 40 passes vs the Pats, in a game we should have won and were  the better team and Mims not playing enough?  These things are more important than all the other good that’s lead to 6-3?  Really?

So that is all you got from my post?  Seems like you really need to do a better job of reading comprehension.  Who said they were more important than the record?  Also, who is complaining????  Please re-read the post; we are allowed to be excited and make critiques at the same time.  I love the fact that we are 6-3 but if we want to go 7-3 or 8-3 etc. we need to do a better job of utilizing the offensive talent.  If you can't see that than what I can tell you. 

Saleh today came out and said they are basically changing Moores position and having him play the slot as opposed to outside.  That is precisely what I was alluding to.   I am glad to see the CS focusing on finding ways to better utilize the offensive firepower.  Similar to what I was just talking about. 

I would like to post to say how awesome I am. I never said anything against Saleh, I vouched for him when nobody else did and correctly predicted his Jets would be 6-3 at the bye, including beating the Bills and have a +58 point differential in the 4th quarter at this point. You don't need to check my post history because why would I fake being right???

My general thought has always been “yes”, but I’m going to withhold final judgement until he’s in a critical game with big time decisions to be made.   

So far I’ve been impressed with his game management this year, but I’d like to see how he handles those decisions under some real pressure as expectations for the teams performance grow with every win.  

20 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

In franchise history…

Best team manager since Parcells.

Best continuity with GM maybe ever.

As much as I loved having BP here (and that CS was, by far, the best in franchise history), I like that this squad is built of young players.  Those Parcells teams had a bunch of veterans and were set up for short term success.  This team has a chance to be good for years.  Though we'd still have been far better off had we just been able to keep BB.  Sigh.  But I'm very happy where we're at right now.  

Btw, while Saleh has done a very good job this season, I'm still not sold on him yet.  It's one thing to do well during "the innocent climb".  There will be big games ahead and we need to see how he responds to those types of challenges.  I'm not saying he can't or won't rise to the challenge.  Just that I need to see it first before I'm sold on the guy.  I'm already sold on JD btw.  

• Upvote 1

Thought he was awful.  He has the team playing well particularly in crunch time.    Pretty happy with how the team is playing.  Coaching matters in the NFL.  He's definetly part of the solution.  Would normally give him props but I'm going with receipts.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

He is now. It took a lot of time for Saleh to move away from forcing his "system" to adjusting to his players but now he is consistently doing that are the results are showing. LaFleur finally woke up last game and stopped being so stubborn.

Amazing combo in douglas/Saleh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those who like Dabol over Saleh I prefer Saleh & his system.

We get to the q'back rushing 4 where Dabol is using exotic blitz pkg's that will eventually get figured out by opposing coaches.

You can't argue mims should be splitting playing time with Corey Davis when Zach clearly has better timing & chemistry with Davis.

Imagine the NE game with Breece, AVT & Corey healthy.

All 3 phases have shown great coaching which is a huge reflection on Saleh

Robert Saleh is a game changer as a HC. He understands the role of HC is far different than that of a coordinator. He has created a culture of accountability and  imbued a relentless pursuit of what it takes to win football games on his players. You could not want more in a HC. I just hope he is not one of those guys that is burned out after 5 years and needs to take time off.  

• Upvote 3