Jets have Flu bug?

Beaver

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We had flu B and RSV in our house back to back. Fun 3 weeks. After living through that I'm convinced that the idea of demonic possession must have come from a bunch of parents that had to deal with toddlers with respiratory infections.

We’ve had flu A over here. Still not right. It’s a grind. Worse than both times we all had Covid.

Son ended up in the ER. 

• Sympathy 8

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

You do realize, or do you not, that even according to the CDC’s own best estimates the yearly ‘flu shot’ is about 30-40% effective against that years flu strains?  So….even if every MFer on that team got the flu shot, and the shot didn’t cover the strain experienced this year everyone could still get sick?  Not to mention RSV is rampant right now and who knows if it’s the ‘flu’ or RSV?  

Yeah but why not protect yourself on the other 60-70%? Even if it isn't the exact strain it may still limit some of the misery of another strain. I nearly wound up in the hospital with the flu about 20 years ago and swore I would never go through that again. I have been getting a yearly flu shot ever since and haven't had it again so yeah it works more often than not. It takes 5 minutes and a little pinch. Done. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yeah but why not protect yourself on the other 60-70%? Even if it isn't the exact strain it may still limit some of the misery of another strain. I nearly wound up in the hospital with the flu about 20 years ago and swore I would never go through that again. I have been getting a yearly flu shot ever since and haven't had it again so yeah it works more often than not. It takes 5 minutes and a little pinch. Done. 

I get the flu shots. While I was in the military before I retired it was mandatory. I’m a freaking Doctor and work in a hospital all the time. I’m 60+ yo, not some strapping young athlete who while he may get ‘sick’ isn’t going to in all likelihood die from the flu.  Might he miss a game?  Perhaps but who other than us cares?

while I’m not anti-vax, I realize any substance you put in your body carries some risk associated with it. Allergic reactions occur. With the new mRNA vaccines some of the younger amongst us got myocarditis. 

and you’re not understanding the statistics. If the flu vaccine is 30-40% effective, that means it ended up protecting against only that amount of strains that actually occurred. So if 4 strains are prevalent that year, you’re maybe protected maybe against 1-2 of them.  It’s not a panacaea. 

simple fact is, there is no magic bullet against nature. Viruses and Bacteria were here long before us, constantly evolve and mutate. They’ll still be here when we’re all gone. Slather on all the anti-bacterial gels and get every man-made vaccine if you wish…but that’s your choice. No one is here to do potential harm to themselves to protect others, except if they desire to. 

the anecdotal evidence you provide is not reason for all of society to do something like get a vaccine. What you describe is equally likely to occur by chance…pinch and done. Right..got it.  Thanks for the insight!  Maybe I’ll get the flu vaccine tomorrow…but then again, I got it already because I work at a hospital and I have risk factors for getting it in my favor. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I get the flu shots. While I was in the military before I retired it was mandatory. I’m a freaking Doctor and work in a hospital all the time. I’m 60+ yo, not some strapping young athlete who while he may get ‘sick’ isn’t going to in all likelihood die from the flu.  Might he miss a game?  Perhaps but who other than us cares?

while I’m not anti-vax, I realize any substance you put in your body carries some risk associated with it. Allergic reactions occur. With the new mRNA vaccines some of the younger amongst us got myocarditis. 

and you’re not understanding the statistics. If the flu vaccine is 30-40% effective, that means it ended up protecting against only that amount of strains that actually occurred. So if 4 strains are prevalent that year, you’re maybe protected maybe against 1-2 of them.  It’s not a panacaea. 

simple fact is, there is no magic bullet against nature. Viruses and Bacteria were here long before us, constantly evolve and mutate. They’ll still be here when we’re all gone. Slather on all the anti-bacterial gels and get every man-made vaccine if you wish…but that’s your choice. No one is here to do potential harm to themselves to protect others, except if they desire to. 

the anecdotal evidence you provide is not reason for all of society to do something like get a vaccine. What you describe is equally likely to occur by chance…pinch and done. Right..got it.  Thanks for the insight!  Maybe I’ll get the flu vaccine tomorrow…but then again, I got it already because I work at a hospital and I have risk factors for getting it in my favor. 

Sure, but that's for flu and some of the others. Where things start getting dangerous is when the schmucks translate this over to MMR and then stick their kids next to my kid.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oof. Sorry to hear. Buncha family are nurses and doctors and it's all hands on deck for kids the last couple months in hospitals. What a slog.

My son had the flu.  Got the shot so the flu part wasn’t bad. But then somehow he couldn’t walk due to pain in his legs.  Apparently that’s a thing no risk but freaked me out.  4 days later walking again.  Crazy. 

37 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

My son had the flu.  Got the shot so the flu part wasn’t bad. But then somehow he couldn’t walk due to pain in his legs.  Apparently that’s a thing no risk but freaked me out.  4 days later walking again.  Crazy. 

If that's not a wake up call, what is?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

So you get the vaccine because it just might protect you. What a novel concept. And doesn't the CDC encourage people to get the flu shot because it does work on certain likely strains. It's worked for me for decades. I think I'll continue to get it. 

21 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

So you get the vaccine because it just might protect you. What a novel concept. And doesn't the CDC encourage people to get the flu shot because it does work on certain likely strains. It's worked for me for decades. I think I'll continue to get it. 

Good for you. Have a great life. 

but you once again miss the point.  I get the flu vaccine because I realize I am at risk as an elderly patient in an at risk environment and the roster of the NYJ does not have that problem. I do so there’s that. I Have had to get it to wok in the past and that is stupid. Whatever.  If you trust the CDC at this point, more power to you …I would encourage you to think more broadly, do some more research etc…but that is probably a point to far  

And to say ‘I don’t understand’ why the entire NYJ team doesn’t get ‘a simple shot’ etc is only an admission that you don’t understand much at all with regards to infectious disease and vaccines and is an amazing display of hubris.  

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We had flu B and RSV in our house back to back. Fun 3 weeks. After living through that I'm convinced that the idea of demonic possession must have come from a bunch of parents that had to deal with toddlers with respiratory infections.

Flu A with us. It was less than fun, I can verify.

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Agree, each individual needs to make an educated decision. My daughter is an OR nurse and got hers in October I think. If I think I want one, it’s not “ too late “ is it ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Good for you. Have a great life. 

but you once again miss the point.  I get the flu vaccine because I realize I am at risk as an elderly patient in an at risk environment and the roster of the NYJ does not have that problem. I do so there’s that. I Have had to get it to wok in the past and that is stupid. Whatever.  If you trust the CDC at this point, more power to you …I would encourage you to think more broadly, do some more research etc…but that is probably a point to far  

And to say ‘I don’t understand’ why the entire NYJ team doesn’t get ‘a simple shot’ etc is only an admission that you don’t understand much at all with regards to infectious disease and vaccines and is an amazing display of hubris.  

Yeah those terrible flu shots and vaccines. What was I thinking?  What do we need them for? Lets bring back measles and Polio while we are at it. Oh wait, that's already happening. 

Yeah those terrible flu shots and vaccines. What was I thinking?  What do we need them for? Lets bring back measles and Polio while we are at it. Oh wait, that's already happening. 
I don't think we need to debate anything political here ..

I work in an industry that deals with big pharma ... I agree with doing your own research... It's advisable. It's a personal choice. If you guys want to discuss this somewhere else .. happy to join.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1