Cowboys official twitter account calls out Dak

AFJF

Perfect timing.  I was just about to post how Dallas fans are unhappy with Dak.  He's making around $40M per year.  I think his stats are in the ballpark of Carr.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

image.thumb.png.b38baebcc6bc13ba967742b4bb0712cc.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

image.thumb.png.c43687c5207baec7c3a772f53326baca.png

I'm in the DFW area. Sports talk radio here was something else today. Everything was fire Kellen Moore and Dak has reached his potential at QB and they need a restart (was compared to Jared Goff w/ the Rams situation... has reached his potential within the system/can't win the big one)

There's been a few clips of Jerry Jones right after that kind of raised my antenna's. 

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Dak Prescott: "I thought this team with Dak at quarterback...I thought we had a chance to get to and compete at the top level in this tournament. I really did." 

I took this instantly as Jerry now has come to the conclusion that Dak isn't the guy and can't be the guy.

I personally don't think he's as bad as some make him to be. I think if he were to find his way to this team, we're instantly playoff contenders and you never know what a different system/coaching could do for a player. He's still young, the only thing that would make me hesitate is his injury history. He'd instantly become our best QB in the last 25 years. 

Trade compensation would be a different story and how/if it's possible to fit his contract to our salary cap.

I would offer them something, but would have to be reasonable with the future kept in mind.

• Upvote 1

I like Dak, would have signed him as a FA if they didn't tag him. I do have concerns, he has had a legit OL, legit WRs, legit TE, legit defense, in a bad division, and still can't get it done.

As funky as it sounds, I like the mystery with Carr vs what I've seen in perfect conditions with Dak. 

Here's what I'm seeing:

- Dak has a no-trade clause in his contract, does he want to play for the Jets? Possible

- If traded the Cowboys would eat $58m in dead cap (and increase of $10m from Dak's '23 cap hit). His new team would basically have him on a 2 year deal that also prevents the franchise tag from being used. 

2023 - $31m

2024 - $29m

2025 - Void

2026 - Void

I don't understand how the Cowboys could move Dak AND be competitive in 2023. You would HAVE to bottom out eith all the free agents you have as well.

That said, if Jerry Jones wants Sean Payton, and Sean Payton wants Caleb Williams, then Payton may go to Dallas to blow the whole thing up. (I believe there is a strong chance the Cardinals do this)

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Perfect timing.  I was just about to post how Dallas fans are unhappy with Dak.  He's making around $40M per year.  I think his stats are in the ballpark of Carr.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

image.thumb.png.b38baebcc6bc13ba967742b4bb0712cc.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

image.thumb.png.c43687c5207baec7c3a772f53326baca.png

The goal post keeps moving. Dallas fans are not happy because once you become a consistent playoff team, fans will want a super bowl. Win a super bowl, Then they will want a dynasty.

We suck. I just want to be a consistent playoff team right now. We can worry about super bowls later. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I believe Dallas would incur a $58M dead cap hit if they traded him this offseason, if I'm reading OTC correctly, lol.

Absolutely true. But only because it'd also wipe him off their cap forever ($0 lagging to further hit in 2024+).

So while it's Ducasse-ugly on paper, just like GB with Rodgers, the team knows a motherlode is freeing up in 2024 and beyond, so they can offset the current big hit by making other players' hits lower in 2023 and higher thereafter. What makes this different than GB/Rodgers is ARod still has a lot more bonus money coming his way if he's not traded, so - while GB would incur a higher cap hit for the QB than they would by leaving things alone - they are also removing so much more additional pay to their QB. 

I don't see them trading him, but I guess if someone was willing to fork over a pair of 1s somehow, it'd go a long way to offsetting that immediate cap penalty by reducing their FA needs.

Otherwise they may be painted into a corner to restructure him (again). Dallas players LOVE to get restructured. Removes the state income taxes for their away games. But they can avoid a good $24MM in new payments by cutting Zeke and (given how many games he's missed the past 3 seasons) maybe even Tyron Smith.

These Dallas starters are all UFAs in March: Lamb, Schultz, Noah Brown, Anthony Brown, Vander Esch, Barr, Pollard (Zeke was still the starter but Pollard had a far better season & has taken a lot less punishment than Zeke), Maher (not that they weren't going to find a new kicker anyway). Steele is a RFA so they can rent him for 1 more year for cheap but then have to ante up to keep him.

Yikes! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Sheesh.  Team owes him $100 mil over the next two seasons and they're using their twitter to criticize him?

I mean, the tweet isn't wrong, but how many teams go after their top guys like this?

They probably can’t rely on their fans the way we can. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Why do we want QB's who CAN'T win in the playoffs?  Just curious.

Because we have QB's who cant win in the regular season. 

This argument is an interesting one. We are in this spot because we missed on Zach....and Darnold...and Hackenberg....and Petty....The list goes on and on.  Fans who complain about whats available on the QB market right now seem to forget what we have watched over the years/decades.  

Are the QB's out there perfect? No, but most, if not all of them would be the best QB we've had in a very long time.

Carr has 217 tds to 99 picks, and a career comp percentage of 65%, all while having the most comebacks in recent years

Lamar is 26 and is an MVP

Jimmy G has went to the super bowl

Dak has 100 more tds to ints and was a ROTY

Rodgers is a legend

Brady is a Football God

Poo Poo whats out there all you want, but every person I Just listed would be the best QB in Jets history stats wise, and you hope change of scenery gets the guys who haven't won big in the past over the hump.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, usanyj said:

He should've been our head coach and reports said he wanted to be our head coach, instead, we want with the cheerleader who runs the stadium steps. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-interview-mike-mccarthy-for-head-coaching-position

Even worse.............................we chose Gase over him.  Who knows, if we have hired McCarthy perhaps Darnold is still our QB.  I utterly believe that Gase ruined Sam.  He closed out 2018 on such an upward trajectory......................oh well.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Sheesh.  Team owes him $100 mil over the next two seasons and they're using their twitter to criticize him?

I mean, the tweet isn't wrong, but how many teams go after their top guys like this?

That is horrible and despicable calling him out like that. On Twitter. Wow. What fingerprinting. I doubt he was the sole reason they lost. Bizarre last plays for example