Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I used to be so optimistic. How optimistic? I bought a 63 Dewayne Robertson jersey. And wore it! in public!

I had season tickets and watched Tom Brady blow out the team at home over 10x. Once I even travelled to Foxboro for a Chad playoff game and got spit on for my troubles. 

I wrote Draft articles for Max entitled the "Jets Will Rise Again," 1 week after losing in the AFC CG in 2010

Seems like it was only yesterday. the last time we made the playoffs LOL.

Truth is I used to be the biggest homer in homersville. In a world of green glasses wearers, my glasses were the greenest.  

When I see these kids wondering what happened to me to make me so grizzled (i don't think you're a kid by the way) it's like looking in a mirror to my past.

Over time I realized that optimistic or pessimistic fandom doesn't move the needle either way. It's like wearing the same socks to keep a winning streak alive it's superstition. We can have a conversation about Karma or praying to alter God's plan, predestination vs Free will - but even that seems irrelevant. 

The actual Jets want optimism every offseason so they can sell tickets and merch but the winning and the losing doesn't correlate to our feelings, one way or the other. 

When I see Aaron Rodgers I see a dude who is at the end of his career, it was an amazing career but it's the very end. an almost retired Rodgers, I don't think it moves the needle on this team very much. Sorry I just don't.  In fact the whole thing is a betrayal of JD's built it the right way methods. 

Thank you.  This helps me understand you more.  I disagree on Rodgers not having a good 2 yrs left.  I'd rather he be there than another rookie for the time being.  Dump Zach next January when it isn't as harsh on the cap. Draft a QB to sit under Rodgers in his 2nd and likely final year.  Meanwhile, win games. Rodgers-to-Wilson will be fun.  There's not a single Tampa Bay Buccs fan that regrets bringing in an old stud QB for a couple of years.  It could and should be the same here.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Marino turned down $5m after making $51m in his career. (Turned down 9% career earnings)

Rodgers is set to make $110m over 2 years after making $300m in his career. (Turning down 25% career earnings)

Rodgers would be turning down Marinos career earnings + $7m for 1 year of play.

Marino was also a shell of himself at that point. His last year in Miami was really bad. He was clearly done. All those offseason surgeries caught up to him.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Sure it is. Look how cash strapped Jets were with that ridiculous Trumaine Johnson deal. Contract was an albatross for what 2-3 years 

That was in conjunction with poor drafting. I'd argue we have our core here and the $22m dead cap those 2 years is worth the price of going for a ring and hopefully building a sustainable culture here.

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Didn’t a 43 year old qb win the Super Bowl just 2 years ago?

OK. Find me another one at that age that has had success.  Or find me 31 year old receivers that are productive in the past 5 years and 29 year old running backs that can even contribute at all in the past 10 years.  Brady was an extreme outlier.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Cost is a thing, and we still have guys to sign.  It won't be about him not having his say, he'll have to have that say within the constraicts of his giant ass salary and our available capspace and cap ramifications.  

GW entering his 2nd year. Lazard contract would have large SB spread out over 3-4 year contract. C'mon.... you know this stuff! Designating Davis as a June 1st cut and more than half of Lazard 1st year is paid. 

Homer Simpson Love GIF

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I hate waiting.......HATE IT.

I will drive 45 minutes to go to a high end restaurant, show up and see a huge gaggle of people waiting for a table and turn right around and settle for a McRib.

Lines are my kryptonite.

isn't McDonalds high end in Indiana?

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can't touch the QB in todays NFL. 40 ain't what it used to be.

Tom Brady 43 Buccaneers 2021 (55)
Tom Brady 41 Patriots 2019 (53)
Peyton Manning 39 Broncos 2016 (50)
Tom Brady 39 Patriots 2017 (51)
Earl Morrall 38 Dolphins 1973 (7)
John Elway 38 Broncos 1999 (33)

What other qbs played at a high level after 40 besides Brady?

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No we will REALLY look like schmucks when he skips OTAs thumbs his nose at mandatory mini-camp and then decides to retire the day before training camp starts. Such a bad idea at so many levels. If we do this it will not end well.

LOL.  Do you really think that Rodgers will skirt camp... ? come on.  Too funny.  He'll be on a new team.  He will practically be in charge of the offense with Hackett. He'll be there.  It will be his offense.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That was in conjunction with poor drafting. I'd argue we have our core here and the $22m dead cap those 2 years is worth the price of going for a ring and hopefully building a sustainable culture here.

The total of 44 million in dead space would impede building on and keeping that sustainable core 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

True, but as of right now, it IS the bar.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not. 

Guy was an MVP two years ago. 

He had a down year on a down team last year, a team he basically carried on his back (unhappily, and with a hurt finger, to be fair).

What do you call moving the needle then?

Rodgers in a pretty crap year with crap support put up 65%, 3,695 yards, 26 TD and 12 INT.  

For reference Bit, that kind of season would rank as ~4th/5th best season, ALL-TIME, for a NY Jets QB.

Give that a think for a minute, and see if you think it "doesn't move the needle".

I think we've seen such horrible QB'ing, for so long, we no longer know what good QB'ing, or even just above-average QB'ing, does for a team.

Yes, Bit, it would move the needle quite a bit over what we've had.

We don't need him to be an MVP.  We just need him to be above average, which (IMO) he is still capable of doing for another two years.

Problem is Bit, with guys like you and slats too, is doing nothing, chasing fourth-tier options, or doing the cheapest cap option, is never going to win us games.

All of those buts and qualifiers is why the Jets should NOT spend a #1 to trade for him.  Average QBs to above average QBs with bloated contracts who are trying to decide to retire or play don't warrant Stafford-like trade compensation to acquire.  I'm fine taking a chance on Rodgers with Carr off the market if the Jets give a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.  It's the salary plus the age plus the declining performance plus the interminable waffling on whether to play another year plus GB's publicly stated desire to move on plus the cap hit to GB if he stays or retires which indicates quite clearly that a first and a second or even a first round pick is an overpay.  

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I can't see Rodgers leaving $100 million+ on the table and retiring the same year and sharing a HOF with Tom Brady, but who knows.

Wow the HOF thing, good call the NFL doesn't want them in the same class either they can't make as much money off them if they go in same year 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Cool. 20 years of nuance and no QB and I'm done with it. 

Nuance or not you still don’t know how much Rodgers has left and if he really wants play or is it just for the money and goes through the motions then you still have no QB or just a really expensive average QB 

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

GW entering his 2nd year. Lazard contract would have large SB spread out over 3-4 year contract. C'mon.... you know this stuff! Designating Davis as a June 1st cut and more than half of Lazard 1st year is paid. 

Homer Simpson Love GIF

Wishful thinking IMO, my friend, but who knows.  :) 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're gonna look like schmucks if he retires.

Worse, we're gonna look like stupid schmucks if he takes a few weeks into the Free Agency period to make the decision.

/facepalm, hope for the best, fear the worst.....

Do you really think Rodgers is going to be allowed to sit on this for a few weeks?  I don't.  I'd be shocked if we don't know within 24-48 hrs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

There's this whole psychological aspect to Winnie the Pooh 

Eeyore is depressed. But I'm not depressed. I'm Anxious for what's going to happen. That's Piglet 

This board is full of bi-polar Tiggers, all manic and happy in March but when November comes you're all bounced out 

fact is I hate this type of discussion because instead of talking about Aaron Rodgers being 20 years older than the upcoming rookies, we talk about each other. Putting labels on me as if that changes the fundamental facts

people have put labels on me for decades on these sites. Don't listen to Bitonti his politics aren't like mine. Don't listen to Bitonti he hates Mormons was the latest one. Don't listen to Bitonti he's just depressed

I like all the attention don't get me wrong but maybe we should talk about the topic rather than trying to prove everyone else who doesn't agree with you is suffering from mental illness 

Here's an appropriate Winnie The Pooh gif:

winnie_the_pooh_shocked_owl.gif

• Upvote 1