Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How long before you start to worry that he he's trying to convince himself he wants to play - even though his heart isn't into it.

That's the sense I get of what's taking so long.  He doesn't really want to play, but it's a lot of money.  Hoping the Jet can convince him.

Is there any worry there from anyone?  

That has been my worry with him all along. That's it hard to say no to 60 million. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

How long before you start to worry that he he's trying to convince himself he wants to play - even though his heart isn't into it.

That's the sense I get of what's taking so long.  He doesn't really want to play, but it's a lot of money.  Hoping the Jet can convince him.

Is there any worry there from anyone?  

trying to get into aaron rodgers head is pointless task.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I know the time line.  The jets said take as long as you like, take all the time you need.  Everyone is kissing Rodgers ass just the way he likes it, just the way he has always had his ass kissed.

If the Jets need my help I'm ready to pucker up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, football guy said:

From the Jets perspective: they have had the plan internally to include Rodgers on some personnel decisions if they land him, which includes WR. They have a core piece in Garrett Wilson, otherwise things are flexible. Davis may or may not be back and it’s even possible (likely?) he’s included in a trade. The team believes in Elijah Moore’s talent but Rodgers will not tolerate the antics—if he doesn’t buckle up and shut up he’d be gone. Assuming he stays under control my guess is he’ll be the primary slot receiver. The team is also bullish on Denzel Mims talent but he’s another guy who I can see in a trade to GB as he fits the “type” of receiver they look for and were reportedly planning on taking him at 62 in 2020. Berrios is who he is as a contributor and an elite PR, but at his salary there’s a good chance they go their separate ways. 

From my perspective Rodgers seems to look at and speak about WRs like a scout would and understands the importance of having different types of guys play different roles in the offense. I can imagine him type-casting Wilson in the Adams role, Moore in the Cobb role, Mims in the MVS role, etc. Rodgers is an anticipation thrower who routinely throws to “spots”, so he‘s a stickler for guys running the right routes and being at the right spot at the right time because in his view, he and his receivers need to be on the same page and to see the defense as one. Despite the talent we have at WR this was a problem last year and the hope is bringing in new coaching will help solve it, but it would only seem natural that Rodgers wants one of his guys in that room to help teach the others what he expects… assuming Davis is gone, that leaves an open spot for a big bodied possession receiver; the natural fit would be Allen Lazard. It wouldn’t be cheap but they can probably get him for something like 3-years, $40 million which I think they would be willing to do. If it’s not Davis or Lazard him it’s hard to say. Could it be Jakobi Meyers? Could it be Courtland Sutton (on the trade block)? How about Michael Thomas? Other receivers Rodgers apparentlywanted to play with in the past/is friendly with that could be available include Hopkins (I agree trade won’t work), OBJ, Adam Theilen, Allen Robinson… my money is on Davis or Lazard but let’s get Rodgers first then worry about that. As for Randall Cobb, I think the Jets would welcome him here in a limited role, but there’s also question whether he wants to keep playing. 

The Jets are bullish on Mimsy?  I'm surprised to hear that.  I had hopes for him going into last year but he was a let down, imo.  Happy to hear the team sees potential in him.  I definitely thought he showed something his rookie year.

As for Eli Moore, the scenario you laid out (don't tolerate the antics—if he doesn’t buckle up and shut up he’d be gone) is exactly how I want the organization to handle him.  

Thank you for the update, btw!  

• Upvote 2