NY Jets trade Elijah Moore to the Cleveland Browns: MERGED

I like Moore the player, but cabt say I’m surprised.  The outbursts last year, justified or not, made it hard to envision him here long term. 

Recouping a 2nd I’m guessing is getting sent to GB.

I’m sure some of this has already been shared, some of us have to work

• Upvote 1

I really don’t like this trade, unless the coaches truly believed he was going to be a locker room problem that couldn’t be handled or just wasn’t worth the effort.

His whole season last year he was setup for failure by the coaching staff and awful QB play. I don’t think he handled the adversity particularly well but he’s also a 22 year old..

I had such high hopes of a turnaround for him, especially if we land Rodgers, and giving up that quick feels like such a letdown.

here are some notes that tell the story of Elijah’s 22’ season..

“Specifically, they ranked him as the 40th best ‘overall’ receiver within their model that accounts for the regularity with which receivers get open, as the degree to which they catch the passes thrown to them.”

“Moore was 100th among wide receivers in target rate despite being 30th in route win rate.”

“Moore’s target separation (a receiver’s average yards of separation from his assigned defender at the moment the pass arrives) ranked 12th in the league at 2.14 yards, his catchable target rate (percentage of total targets that are deemed catchable) ranked 98th at 54.5%. This implies that not only was Moore not targeted at a rate aligned with his success rate on a per route basis, but that the throws were significantly off target on the relatively rate occasion when he was targeted.”

“To hit home on the discrepancy of these figures, playerprofiler also provides a “true catch rate” statistic, which is calculated by dividing a receiver’s number of catches by their number of catchable passes. Within this statistic, Moore ranked 5th in the league with a score of 102.8%, implying Moore caught more passes this season than should have been expected based on his target quality.”

“He is getting open -- a lot. According to a new ESPN metric that tracks separation on untargeted routes, Moore's "open" score is tops on the Jets and tied for 15th in the NFL. His production slippage could be tied to the fact that he's running more vertical routes than he did as a rookie, as his average target has gone from 11.9 yards to 14.3”

sources..

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/26/ny-jets-elijah-moore-open-film/amp/

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/90365/is-jets-elijah-moore-the-nfls-most-ignored-wide-receiver?platform=amp

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I really don’t like this trade, unless the coaches truly believed he was going to be a locker room problem that couldn’t be handled or just wasn’t worth the effort.

His whole season last year he was setup for failure by the coaching staff and awful QB play. I don’t think he handled the adversity particularly well but he’s also a 22 year old..

I had such high hopes of a turnaround for him, especially if we land Rodgers, and giving up that quick feels like such a letdown.

here are some notes that tell the story of Elijah’s 22’ season..

“Specifically, they ranked him as the 40th best ‘overall’ receiver within their model that accounts for the regularity with which receivers get open, as the degree to which they catch the passes thrown to them.”

“Moore was 100th among wide receivers in target rate despite being 30th in route win rate.”

“Moore’s target separation (a receiver’s average yards of separation from his assigned defender at the moment the pass arrives) ranked 12th in the league at 2.14 yards, his catchable target rate (percentage of total targets that are deemed catchable) ranked 98th at 54.5%. This implies that not only was Moore not targeted at a rate aligned with his success rate on a per route basis, but that the throws were significantly off target on the relatively rate occasion when he was targeted.”

“To hit home on the discrepancy of these figures, playerprofiler also provides a “true catch rate” statistic, which is calculated by dividing a receiver’s number of catches by their number of catchable passes. Within this statistic, Moore ranked 5th in the league with a score of 102.8%, implying Moore caught more passes this season than should have been expected based on his target quality.”

“He is getting open -- a lot. According to a new ESPN metric that tracks separation on untargeted routes, Moore's "open" score is tops on the Jets and tied for 15th in the NFL. His production slippage could be tied to the fact that he's running more vertical routes than he did as a rookie, as his average target has gone from 11.9 yards to 14.3”

sources..

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/26/ny-jets-elijah-moore-open-film/amp/

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/90365/is-jets-elijah-moore-the-nfls-most-ignored-wide-receiver?platform=amp

His big issue with Zach and LaFluer was that he would get open but not on the designed route.  He would free willy the routes and Rodgers does not like this and Zach had no way to see it ... Thats why he didn't fit.

• WTF? 1

36 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Honestly, I had hope for moore but the sh*t he pulled says he’s A. Not a team player, B. Selfish and C. Weak minded.

nothing but the best for him but this kind of sends a message that is you f around, you’re gone. He is getting a nice qb upgrade with Watson though so he’ll def have a chance to re establish himself.

Sending someone to the Browns certainly sends a message

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Personally think we got more than he is worth. 

The value of the pick swap is like a 4th rounder i bet. Not great ROI at all.... unless EM is mentally never gonna be all there. Something we wouldn't know the FO opinion on, outside the building.

That was a failed pick imo. Divisive player that really never did anything. 

1 minute ago, MARTIN said:

Not good value for JD unless EM is a ticking timebomb mentally. If he is, i hope Cleveland has the best mental health experts in the league. Dont hate it, but don't love it either. Depends what we do with the pick.

They value is #66 overall pick on that trade and he didn't prove he was worth more... getting the trade up is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Why won't any of the people complaining about the trade answer the question... what was his value in a trade if it wasn't an early 3rd? 

I don’t necessarily think they got bad value for him right now. Given his antics last year and lack of production it’s probably fair. I think he’s a much better player than the production indicates though, and would have expected his value to increase after a year with Rodgers at QB. They sold at the low point of his value IMO.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

From some accounts Moore seemed to be a lazy route runner…..not a good trait to have w Rodgers.

Actually that sh*t drives Rodgers nuts.   We had a guy like that last year and Rodgers ordered him off the field

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

His big issue with Zach and LaFluer was that he would get open but not on the designed route.  He would free willy the routes and Rodgers does not like this and Zach had no way to see it ... Thats why he didn't fit.

I haven’t heard this before, not denying it but just curious what brought you to this conclusion? Either way, feels like the only highlight plays Zach’s ever had were free willys 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lol, He could have been a star in NY if he just would have been patient and not put himself above the team. Instead he is in Cleveland, the mistake by the lake and home of the Cleveland steamer.

Play a stupid game you win a stupid prize.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, KRL said:

You can't overlook how poorly Moore must've acted when he threw his tantrum.

Douglas/Saleh obviously never forgot that

That... and unrealized potential, whatever the reason was. Replace him with a proven player to improve the team. We are about to enter a small window of opportunity and cannot squander the chance while waiting for a receiver to develop.

4 minutes ago, MARTIN said:

The value of the pick swap is like a 4th rounder i bet. Not great ROI at all.... unless EM is mentally never gonna be all there. Something we wouldn't know the FO opinion on, outside the building.

That was a failed pick imo. Divisive player that really never did anything. 

Huh? 4th rounder? More like an early 3rd. 

Guys.

Moore was drafted as a 2nd rounder. He had a promising rookie season, and did jack squat in his sophomore year. He let his feelings get the better of him and caused divide. The fact JD got an effective early 3rd is impressive.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

His upside is basically a dickish, headache-inducing Jamison Crowder.

Boohoo

Hopefully with an extra 2nd in their pockets, an official Rodgers trade is on the cusp of being completed.

It’s also entirely possible the Jets bring in a guy like OBJ to replace Moore.

So 22 year old healthy dickish, headache-inducing WR on rookie contract for 30 year old dickish, headache-inducing WR with 2 straight ACL tears

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I don’t necessarily think they got bad value for him right now. Given his antics last year and lack of production it’s probably fair. I think he’s a much better player than the production indicates though, and would have expected his value to increase after a year with Rodgers at QB. They sold at the low point of his value IMO.

He was going to be at best the 3rd option this year, most likely the 4th. His numbers would not have improved 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I haven’t heard this before, not denying it but just curious what brought you to this conclusion? Either way, feels like the only highlight plays Zach’s ever had were free willys 

There were quite a few mentions in articles last year, I'd have to do my research to find the exact ones.  But I heard that this was the big issue with Zach and Mims but then Mims got a lot better at route running.  Moore also was known to take plays off when he had no chance to get the ball, this is shown all over tapes. 

Its why LaFleur had issues with the 2 of them, because Zach couldn't trust that they would be where they were suppose to be... I know there was 2 INTs last year that were caused by Moore's lazy route and not running the correct pattern. Just food for thought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Don’t love the trade. Think Moore would have been more valuable as a player. Especially with a real QB. Whenever that comes to fruition. 

Moore let us down this year not only with his play but his antics. Demanding a trade when you’re team is in the middle of a winning streak is never a good sign as a player you wantb

• Upvote 1