Tippman to tackle?

I know I’ll regret this… but the amount to which we hear how big he is for a center, it makes me wonder if he has the skill set to bump out to tackle? 

He’s got prototypical size for it, from what I’ve read.

Why not? 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I know I’ll regret this… but the amount to which we hear how big he is for a center, it makes me wonder if he has the skill set to bump out to tackle? 

Why not? 

The breakdown I saw of him after we took him showed he had a pretty bad tendency of over leaning and getting caught in space when he doesn't have help on either side. He needs to improve in that area to be a good NFL center but I think that weakness would be even more exploitable at T.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Why not? 

In the best of all possible worlds the top 5 men would all be on the field at the same time.  It remains to be seen who #6 is and how the 1st five fit together.  Should be an interesting pre-season for this among other reasons.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Given what a difference maker a guy like Tippmann can be at center, I don't think you move him.  Not many guys can pull and get out front as well as he can.  I know McGovern won't just lay down and let him take the job, but I really think he either wins it outright or takes it at some point during the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I really would hate this. We drafted safeties and then tried to convert them to Linebackers. I don't think that worked out. We supposedly now have a CB that we are going to convert to safety

We have a need at C and drafted a C, so let him play C. 

Don't try to be smarter than everyone else with tricky approaches. Just do the smart logical thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I really would hate this. We drafted safeties and then tried to convert them to Linebackers. I don't think that worked out. We supposedly now have a CB that we are going to convert to safety

We have a need at C and drafted a C, so let him play C. 

Don't try to be smarter than everyone else with tricky approaches. Just do the smart logical thing.

To be fair. I think the guys you had in mind were Sherwood, Nas and now JBC. 

Sherwood converted from S to LB in college. So he played LB at Auburn. 

Nas was a safety as FSU and I don't believe we ever actually converted him to LB. Maybe there was a thought to do that, maybe that was even the plan, but we never actually did it. 

JBC was also a Safety in college (at OSU) before he converted to CB (at LSU). So its not like the Jets are trying something totally new and/or different with him.  

As far as Tippman. He was drafted to play C and I think that is 100% the plan for him. He just happens to have some versatility to his game, which is always great, allows him to slide out to G if there is an injury on the line. Especially with McGovern on board.  

• Sympathy 1

from Dane's The Beast"

Spoiler

1. JOE TIPPMANN | Wisconsin 6060 | 313 lbs. | 4JR Fort Wayne, Ind. (Bishop Dwenger) 3/24/2001 (age 22.09) #75 BACKGROUND: Joe Tippmann, who is one of eight children (seven boys, one girl), was born and raised in Fort Wayne and started playing football at the youth level. In the sixth grade, he started working with Bishop Dwenger offensive line coach Jason Fabini, a Fort Wayne native who was a fourth-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft and played 11 seasons in the NFL (1998-2008). Tippmann became a fourth-generation football player at Bishop Dwenger, a Catholic high school in Fort Wayne. He was the starting left tackle as a 15-year-old sophomore, announcing himself as one of the top players in the area. As a junior, he earned All-State and All-Conference honors at left tackle while adding 68 tackles on defense. As a senior captain, Tippmann led Bishop Dwenger to a 14-1 season and the 2018 Class 4A state championship (four-overtime thriller in the title game at Lucas Oil Stadium). With 102 pancake blocks in 2018, he was named Indiana’s Mr. Football and conference MVP, adding 41 tackles and 3.0 sacks as a defensive tackle. Tippmann also won the Euell A. Wilson Award, which goes to the senior who has the greatest impact athletically and in the community. He lettered in track and set a personal best of 42 feet 2.25 inches in the shot put.

A four-star recruit, Tippmann was the No. 26 offensive tackle in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 6 recruit in Indiana. He started to collect scholarship offers during his junior season, starting with Ball State and Cincinnati. Tippmann attended a recruiting camp at Wisconsin the summer before his junior year and stayed close with the coaching staff, which finally offered him in November 2017. He committed a month later, becoming the fifth recruit to join the Badgers’ 2019 class. Several schools (Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Purdue) continued to recruit him, but Tippmann stayed loyal to Wisconsin and signed in the early signing period. Part of the Badgers’ recruiting pitch was that they would train him at tackle, guard and center, and Tippmann was open to playing any position. He was born into an athletic family, with multiple siblings and cousins who starred athletically at Bishop Dwenger High School (NFL scout: “There were like 18 players on the 2018 Bishop Dwenger varsity squad from the Tippmann family tree.”). Several of his relatives went on to play college athletics, most recently Jack Tippmann (freshman tight end at Illinois State in 2022) and K.J. Tippmann

Total: (25/22) OC HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6060 313 32 3/4 10 3/4 80 3/8 - - - - - - - - (no workout – right hamstring) PRO DAY - - - - - - - - - - - - 30 (bench press and position drills only) STRENGTHS: Fluid, rangy big man with the foot speed to excel on short and long pulls … quick first step and opens his hips out of his stance to seal pursuit angles as a lead blocker … has a natural feel for wide-zone footwork (play-side and back-side) … uses his reach to latch-and-drive defenders out of the play … resets well in pass protection with the play strength and active punch to stay square … showcases snap in his hips when he maintains his pad level to displace his target … locates targets from distance to make appropriate adjustments … weight-room warrior (635-pound squat, 455-pound bench according to Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List), but his teammates describe him as a “calm” communicator at center … relates to every player in the locker room and NFL scouts and coaches give him strong character reviews … skill set should translate well to guard. WEAKNESSES: Taller than ideal for the position … gets upright in space and pad level consistency will be a constant battle for him … loses balance after first contact when he allows defenders to get into his body … needs to better reset his hips/hands to stay attached and sustain blocks without straining (flagged four times for holding in 2022) … was non-contact the last two offseasons as he transitioned to center ... battled through the 2020 season with a damaged right shoulder, which required offseason surgery (missed 2021 spring); suffered a left shoulder injury and missed 2022 spring practices because of his second straight offseason labrum surgery (different shoulder) … practiced at guard and tackle, but 99.5 percent of his in-game snaps came at center. CONTENTS [152]

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Wisconsin, Tippmann operated at center in former offensive coordinator Bobby Engram’s run-based pro-style scheme (his first season as a play-caller was in 2022). A tackle in high school, he cross-trained at guard and tackle on the scout team in 2019 and as a backup in 2020 before moving to center for the 2021 and 2022 seasons (had never played the position before). Tippmann is an athletic blocker who shines on pulls, cutoffs and any move-block that shows off his range and eyes. With his bend and flexibility, he is able to play low for a taller player and generate explosive torque through his hips, but he gets offschedule when his pads rise, often ending up on the ground. Overall, Tippmann must be mindful of his body leverage/balance to match up versus NFL defenders, but his quickness, strength and vision are all plus traits for a starting interior lineman. He projects as an NFL starter (either center or guard), ideally suited for a wide-zone scheme. GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 43 overall)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Why not? 

I believe he did play tackle in HS, though they pretty quickly moved him to the interior once he showed up at Wisconsin. Measurables wise, arm length stands out; he has average arm length for a center, but if you look at OL as a whole he's like 20th percentile and I'd assume like 10th-ish percentile when just looking at tackles.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Why not? 

he'll be playin'  center 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I believe he did play tackle in HS, though they pretty quickly moved him to the interior once he showed up at Wisconsin. Measurables wise, arm length stands out; he has average arm length for a center, but if you look at OL as a whole he's like 20th percentile and I'd assume like 10th-ish percentile when just looking at tackles.

But his arms are a half inch longer than Skoronski!  

I don't think it makes sense, but Damien Woody went from 1st round C, to guard (not very good) to become an excellent RT.  Most of what you read talks about him being a good communicator and "QB of the line" so moving him makes little sense. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

lol I found it on Twitter. the lady’s taking him to the vet because he got into the pantry and ate like 50mg of edibles

A few months back, a 4 year old in Virginia died from eating too many weed gummies. 

• Sympathy 1

Why not? 

A few things ..

1. According to Saleh he has the versatility to play multiple positions across the offensive line

2. If you listened to Joe Douglas interviewed mid draft, he used the word 'versatility' to describe the attributes the Jets are looking for ...  repeated it 5-10 times in a 5 minute clip

3. The reasons Tippmann will likely start at Center that separate him from McGovern:  (i) high football IQ and good communication allow him to call out the right protections, (ii) he has a strong anchor in pass pro

4. I see guard before tackle but if there's a Center who has the length, footwork, & athleticism to play tackle it's him

Outside Brown & Tomlinson, the Jets offensive line is loaded with versatility.  It's going to be fun to watch them choose the 5 best o-lineman versus having to pigeon hole players into slots.  

• Upvote 2

Why not? 

Because it's an entirely different position, and he's really good at center which the Jets happen to need. He can be a monster pulling center like Mawae was if you're old enough to know who that is, and what it enabled in the run game. Why **** with nature when there is no need to? McG is a vet one year minimum wage guy JAG. He'll (McG) be valuable as a swing c/g backup with Tippman starting.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Why not? 

I’d guess the Jets plan may be McGovern at C, this kid at one of the G spots, and AVT is penciled in as starting T, and Becton will have to fight for a starting job because one isn’t going to be handed to him.

TBH if they are even counting up Becton to be the starter they should all be fired.

Anything from Becton is gravy.

• Upvote 1