This one really hurts….RIP Jimmy Buffett

Warfish

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

See any major media for details, but Jimmy Buffett, singer, songwriter, leader of the Parrotheads, a guy who brought joy to a hell of a lot of folks, myself counted amongst them, died yesterday at 76.

I’ve seen him in concert at least 8-9 times over the years and it was always a huge good time, and we all can use more good times. 

Thanks Jimmy, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, RIP and enjoy the Margaritas and Cheeseburgers in the afterlife. 

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you Warfish.  It is through your posts that I have found out two of my favorite musicians passed away this year (Jimmy and David Crosby).

This pirate made it past forty, but it was never meant to last. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's funny, we all sorta know the goofy hits, the cheese-ball Caribbean-fun-times stuff.

But there are some hella great songs in between all that fun and games.  

Thanks to those in the thread giving props, even if the music itself wasn't for you.  Reminds me of when Prince died, that guy demanded respect for his music, even if (like me) you weren't into it much beyond a song or two.

Some guys transcend, and become cultural icons.  Ol' Jimmy was one of those guys.  I'll deeply miss going to the shows, having that kind of fun, and just being able to be truly free for a few hours, one-hitter in one hand, a cold Caribbean drink in the other, Hawaiian shirt on, having fun.

Seems as the days go by, more and more of those kind of old school good-times "endless tour" guys are moving on.  SMH with sadness.

It's so weird just last night on the way to my gig, a Jimmy song was playing and my wife and I were talking about the few great artists that we're thankful are still here and I said Thank God we still have Jimmy Buffett. The one artist that hurts the most for me personally was Tom Petty, now we lose Jimmy and we're running out of our icons. Bruce is gonna outlive us all, we still have half of The Beatles, half of The Stones, half of The Eagles...great artists, no ALL artists are irreplaceable and I hate when we lose them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

See any major media for details, but Jimmy Buffett, singer, songwriter, leader of the Parrotheads, a guy who brought joy to a hell of a lot of folks, myself counted amongst them, died yesterday at 76.

I’ve seen him in concert at least 8-9 times over the years and it was always a huge good time, and we all can use more good times. 

Thanks Jimmy, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, RIP and enjoy the Margaritas and Cheeseburgers in the afterlife. 

RIP to JB.  

The first "celebrity" death that bothered me was Andy Kaufman many years ago. Cancer got him way too young. And in 2002, my favorite rock and roll frontman/lyricist, Joe Strummer, died at 50 of a heart attack/heart defect. That was the one that really got me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's funny, we all sorta know the goofy hits, the cheese-ball Caribbean-fun-times stuff.

But there are some hella great songs in between all that fun and games.  

Thanks to those in the thread giving props, even if the music itself wasn't for you.  Reminds me of when Prince died, that guy demanded respect for his music, even if (like me) you weren't into it much beyond a song or two.

Some guys transcend, and become cultural icons.  Ol' Jimmy was one of those guys.  I'll deeply miss going to the shows, having that kind of fun, and just being able to be truly free for a few hours, one-hitter in one hand, a cold Caribbean drink in the other, Hawaiian shirt on, having fun.

Seems as the days go by, more and more of those kind of old school good-times "endless tour" guys are moving on.  SMH with sadness.

Nothing works to get you into a holiday state of mind like Jimmy’s music. It’s always 5 oclock somewhere and for him, it’s now always 5 oclock.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

First and sadly only time I saw him was in 1977 at the Garden opening for the Eagles Hotel California tour. He had only played 2-3 songs when the crowd got restless and started chanting for the Eagles. Jimmy was killing it by the way. He told the crowd if you don’t stop I won’t play the song you all want to hear. That stopped it. The first brake in their set, Don Henley admonished the crowd, basically telling them they don’t know how great Jimmy is, that they should be ashamed of themselves, and that he hopes he will become as good a songwriter as Jimmy some day. I’ll never forget that. RIP to a true American hero.

• Upvote 3

What’s just listening to this one last night. An old tradition at Capt Tony’s in Key West when we would pull in for fuel was to get drunk and try to flip a coin backwards in the stuffed Groupers mouth that was mounted over the entrance. Bunch of drunk sailors trying to do this why the staff would feed us quarters and beers. 

A Legend never dies. RIP

image.jpeg.ed86b6d111ccb4dbd0d79ad6bf55adc2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

First and sadly only time I saw him was in 1977 at the Garden opening for the Eagles Hotel California tour. He had only played 2-3 songs when the crowd got restless and started chanting for the Eagles. Jimmy was killing it by the way. He told the crowd if you don’t stop I won’t play the song you all want to hear. That stopped it. The first brake in their set, Don Henley admonished the crowd, basically telling them they don’t know how great Jimmy is, that they should be ashamed of themselves, and that he hopes he will become as good a songwriter as Jimmy some day. I’ll never forget that. RIP to a true American hero.

Thanks for sharing. That’s a great story!