Now go get Bakhtiari

I don't see it happening unless he reeeaaaally wants to reunite with Rodgers.  I'm sure some team will offer him a starting job.  Probably a team with a young guy they're trying to develop and they don't want to play right away.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hated the idea of bringing this dude in as LT1.

But now, given his relationship with Rodgers and injury history, maybe he'll hop on board as LT2.  If you can get Smith/Bakhtiari to give you 17 games at LT you're in damn good shape.

It's the only way that bringing him in would make sense.

Think the jets picked their guy. OL is so valuable, he should be able to land somewhere where he'll at least have a shot at starting at the beginning of the season. I thought he was a given but not after this smith signing.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He will not sign a cheap enough deal to be a backup swing tackle, he is not an option at all imo

You have no idea. Did you think Smith's deal was possible?

• Upvote 1

I totally get the premise, but would rather just draft a tackle and guard and spend more FA money on another WR

this is a loaded OL class

loaded at both OL and WR, actually. We honestly should really consider trading down from 10. But I also understand if we just take BPA offense at 10. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He will not sign a cheap enough deal to be a backup swing tackle, he is not an option at all imo

Plus cheapness of a deal aside, he surely sees himself as a starter and isn’t taking some backup job in mid-March.

Anywhere he goes he starts until/unless he gets injured.

It’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus cheapness of a deal aside, he surely sees himself as a starter and isn’t taking some backup job in mid-March.

Anywhere he goes he starts until/unless he gets injured.

It’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

I agree with this. Can’t see Bak taking a backup role just 5 days into FA.

Like we have in Warren?
There's always room for competition, plus we need to build a pipeline for both left and right tackle. Neither guy we have now is a long term solution.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I agree with this. Can’t see Bak taking a backup role just 5 days into FA.
More likely he'd hold off and see what the market looks like after the draft, and once camp injuries start to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Hated the idea of bringing this dude in as LT1.

But now, given his relationship with Rodgers and injury history, maybe he'll hop on board as LT2.  If you can get Smith/Bakhtiari to give you 17 games at LT you're in damn good shape.

It's the only way that bringing him in would make sense.

Would be a super jetsy move to go into the season with an actual plan of giving each LT 2 weeks off between games.  4-d chess baby!

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What team is going to pay him starter money? Looking like he may not have much of a choice.

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

What team is going to pay him starter money? Looking like he may not have much of a choice.

This is a good point and if he is destined finish as a back up / spot starter then why not with his bff Aaron Rodgers?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

We need to move down into the teens in round 1 and pick up a 2nd round pick.  That way we come out of the first 2 rounds with an OT and a WR. 

Even moving down to 25 doesn’t appear to give enough value in a trade to receive a 2nd round pick in this draft.

IMG_5609.thumb.jpeg.7e8a3498abf306326ae0d2125b12cd10.jpeg

10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I used the one Jason Fitzgerald uses at OTC. He and some other mathematician came up with it.

If the one you shared is more accurate to the value teams place on Draft Capital, then yes, the Jets may have enough ammo to trade back and get a 2nd.

• Upvote 1

I doubt he signs with anyone right now. No one is going to commit to him as a starter because of his injury history. His best bet is to wait for someone to get hurt in training camp or after the season starts.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Even moving down to 25 doesn’t appear to give enough value in a trade to receive a 2nd round pick in this draft.

IMG_5609.thumb.jpeg.7e8a3498abf306326ae0d2125b12cd10.jpeg

This chart seems off.   According to it, we could move from pick 10 to pick 6 for a 7th round pick.  Let’s go get Joe Alt!

17 minutes ago, MykePM said:

This chart seems off.   According to it, we could move from pick 10 to pick 6 for a 7th round pick.  Let’s go get Joe Alt!

I see what you mean. Doesn’t make sense. Here is how Jason describes it. Some of it has to do with contract values. It was an evaluation between 2011 - 2015. I didn’t read it all ‘cause it made my brain hurt 😞 

Fitzgerald-Spielberger NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

The concept for this research was to use NFL salary data to retroactively grade every draft selection from 2011 through 2015 following the conclusion of their rookie contracts, and to use that data to better project the value of each future draft selection.

First, we found the average of the Top 5 APY (average per year) contracts at each position in each year. For example, the Top 5 QB APY's are $35 million, $34 million, $33.5 million, $33.5 million, $32 million. The average of these 5 APY's is $33.6 million. An APY of $16.8 million would thus be 50% of Top 5 APY. We then converted every new contract in each year into a percent of the Top 5 APY average at the respective position.

In order to get a more accurate representation of the expected performance of a particular draft pick and increase the sample size, we smoothed the data by averaging out the post rookie-contract APY amounts for a few picks before and after each draft pick. The grouping of a few draft picks within a small range removed a lot of the variance that occurs in large part due to “busts” and generated more realistic projections, as the range more accurately reflects the quality of talent available to a drafting team. The ranges start very small (e.g. examining picks No. 1 + No. 2 for the No. 1 slot) and expand in the later rounds of the draft

You can learn more about this analysis in the book The Drafting Stage by Brad Spielberger & Jason Fitzgerald.

• Upvote 1