Have any of you guys ever questioned why you still remain loyal to the Jets?

hokiejetfan92

Please don't start this with a "we don't need you" or "if you're thinking of leaving get out!!" kind of thread because that is not what this is about.

Born in '92, my first Jets memory was watching the Broncos beat the Jets in 98 AFC championship game. I saw it on tv and barely understood it, but I remember the Jets losing the lead and my dad being all upset. The first year I really started to understand football was Penny boys breakout year and I went to the Colts at Jets playoff game when we smoked them in 2003 and I became a diehard ever since.

I'll never forget when Doug Brien missed those two field goals against the Steelers with Penny and Herm or Mangini's first win on the road against the pats when he became "Mangenius." Or the first two years of Rex Ryan. Throughout all jokes people made about the jets, I always said, it will feel that much better when we finally do win a superbowl. 

Fast forward to this year and I'm going to be 25 soon. We all have seen:

• The butt fumble
  • Tebow debacle
  • Geno Smith's ridiculous behind the back fumble
  • Geno's game when he threw the ball to Percy Harvin 6 straight times against the Bills and got 3 of them intercepted.
  • Geno getting punched in the face by a teammate
  • John Idzik and Rex Ryan (Not Ryan's fault but their marriage was a complete joke)
  • This entire season.

I love the Jets, and as a kid I also dreamed they would one day win a superbowl. I also understand that it is a super competitive business and it is extremely hard to achieve and sustain success in this league, but what have the Jets done to show you they are a legitimate and competent organization? I really do not think it is directly Macc or Bowles problem because we have seen enough turnover to know that firing a HC and GM do not fix all your problems.

I have noticed every other year the Jets sort of switch from an up year to a down year as the team benefits from an easy schedule or struggles from a difficult one, and us fans with the NY media either think the team is terrible or about to go on a deep playoff run when the team is essentially the same as the year prior.

Do any of you guys question Woody's ability as an owner to hire effective management and allow them to implement the culture they want? Or do you think that each GM and HC we hired was a terrible choice and they had no business being in the NFL? (Tanny is doing well with Dolphins, Rex is doing average in Buffalo, Marty Mornhingweg is back to being an OC) Also, How do you feel about the jets ability to build a championship team or do you guys not really care and are just in it for the memories either way?

Sincerely,

A lost Jets fan

I think any reasonable adult can look in the mirror and say "why do I care if a corporation has success in their performance in games played by multimillionaire mercenaries who have no real affiliation with where I'm from." As Jerry Seinfeld says, you're rooting for the laundry at the end of the day -- colors determined by a corporation that that through successful branding likely hooked us at an early age and has made us all suckers for life.

But there's something about being a fan that is ingrained in me from an early age. Rooting for the Jets is just part of who I am. I can't not root for them. As I get older I try to let the losses and negativity roll off me and enjoy the wins when them come. At the end of the day it's not worth getting worked up over... But the idea that I could pick another team? Never.

if you were born in '92 and one of your first memories is of the 1998 team you don't really have a right to complain as the last 15 years has been the best stretch in jets history as far as consistent winning.  the folks that have the biggest complaints are the ones born in the late 60s/early 70s that just missed SB III and had to endure the 70s, 90s and today.  I go back to the early 80s, they made the playoffs a bunch when I was a kid, I had to sit through the 1987-1996 era and as bad as it is right now this is nothing compared to that era.

I used to get much more upset w/ losing when I was younger but now it;'s easier to take w/ a wife and kids.  The Jets may never win a SB but I look back at the memories of watching the team when my dad was alive and I look at my kids getting into it now and it's about family and friends not wins and losses.  I will never stop rooting for them to win a SB but if it never happens I will still have a million great memories watching them try w/ my family and friends.  

Tried to kind of force or push my son to be a Jet fan, he always bounced around to who ever the best teams were.

He's 9 now and kind of settled on the Eagles and I'm glad, no need for both of us to be miserable with their teams for their whole lives. 

But no I could never switch teams now.

9 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

This is the price I pay for praying the Jets beating the Raiders that one night.  I knew if that happened my Dad and his friend would not being going to Miami and he would take me instead.  That was my first NFL game.

I too became a Jet fan in 1968 and my first JET game was the Raider game. I was only 11 and don't really remember much about it because I was a baseball fan back then and not a big football guy. I'll tell you however I watched the Super Bowl on our 19in TV in my parents bedroom and thinking how cool was it that they won that game. I am now in a mental institution for my allegiance to the METS, JETS and KNICKS... and too think, I actually liked the Yankees before I started liking the METS who also won in 69. 

That list you posted is nothing bro. I'm not much of a fanatic anymore, and I've watched about 2 full games this year, but I'm down on the NFL overall.

I rather enjoy my Sundays doing things I like, than being stuck to the TV for 4 hours watching an inept team try to win 4 games. Spending money on beer and food while being disappointed gets old after awhile. I'll still root, but it's not that serious anymore.

I was born the same year the franchise, Titans/Jets was born, 1960.

Have I ever questioned why I have remained loyal to them for my entire life? No.

However, let me know when you start a thread on, "Have I ever wondered why I have been married to my wife for 27 years?"

78cda996a56f39812fcd6870e2e0629e.jpg

The answer is because on that great day when we do win it all the suffering it took to get there will make it that much sweeter.

Had the Islanders not won 4 Stanley Cups in the exact 4 years I was attending high school on Long Island, had the Rangers not blown playoff series after playoff series, had the Rangers not chased every bad old free agent on the market, the Rangers victory wouldn't have felt as good as it did.  I am still buzzing off that Championship.  The Rangers don't have to win another game as far as I'm concerned, I'm completely satisfied.

When the Jets get there (and they will) you will appreciate seasons like this.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

78cda996a56f39812fcd6870e2e0629e.jpg

The answer is because on that great day when we do win it all the suffering it took to get there will make it that much sweeter.

Had the Islanders not won 4 Stanley Cups in the exact 4 years I was attending high school on Long Island, had the Rangers not blown playoff series after playoff series, had the Rangers not chased every bad old free agent on the market, the Rangers victory wouldn't have felt as good as it did.  I am still buzzing off that Championship.  The Rangers don't have to win another game as far as I'm concerned, I'm completely satisfied.

When the Jets get there (and they will) you will appreciate seasons like this.

SAR I

this, the Cubs, red Sox, White Sox, etc... give me hope that one day it will happen and when it does it's going to be incredible.  I really thought we had in 2010, I remember standing in heiz Field listening to the Nat'l anthem and flashing back to so many disappointing losses and thinking this is finally going to be the time.  Unfortunately it wasn't but when it happens it's going be even better b/c at the time my son was too young to understand but now we'll watch that pursuit of a championship together.

Yes, I've wondered why I still religiously follow and love and post 100,000 words a year about a sports team from a City I haven't lived in in over 30 years, and only really lived in for under 10 years, and that as a little kid.

A team I probably only started liking because as a child I loved Green more than Blue.

The thought has crossed my mind, I can't lie, that I SHOULD be a Washington Fan across the board.  Nationals (whom I already root for), Caps (meh, Hockey), Wizards (meh, NBA) and the Redskins.  I've been here close to 30 years now.

But no.  

I am invested as a Jets Fan, it's part of who I am.  Part of my personality at this point.

And even if I could overcome that (or wanted to), I could never root for a team with the name "Redskins", it offends me.

I will say this......we better hope Virginia never gets an NFL team, and calls them the Generals, and wears Blue+Grey Uniforms, and has a crossed Sabres logo.

Cause THAT, that sh*t might just tempt me a little bit.

It's hard to figure what caused me to be a huge Jet fan starting from the early 70's - I remember a little the Namath Superbowl, but not that vividly. It was in the 70's that I remember best when starting out, and him throiwng to Barkum and Caster and little Eddie Bell. Those weren't very good teams most of the time, but I was hooked. I lived near Shea STadium too, so that helped. Rooting for Riggins and Boozer gave me the best of memories... in those days, it wasn't rooting for laundry as much. When Riggins left us, we were stunned. Players didn't exchange teams then as they do now, and you can really attach yourself to the players because they stayed around - I'll always remember Barkums's 83 and Caster's 88 and Walker's 85 and Boozer's 32  and Riggins' 44 etc.  Who will remember Marshall's number, as good as he is? Because it's laundry today, and then it wasn't. It's normal to root for the team because you like the players. It isn't normal to root for a team because you like their laundry - and that's all it is today.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Tried to kind of force or push my son to be a Jet fan, he always bounced around to who ever the best teams were.

He's 9 now and kind of settled on the Eagles and I'm glad, no need for both of us to be miserable with their teams for their whole lives. 

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh lol. I kid, I kid.

I was born in '93 but my father raised me right when it came to football and the Jets so I know that it was much much worse than what I've seen. '05, '07, '08 (half good, half bad), '11, '12, '14, this year, etc. As frustrating as it can be to watch them, I could never....and I mean never....root for another team.

1 hour ago, Happy Clouds said:

I was born the same year the franchise, Titans/Jets was born, 1960.

Have I ever questioned why I have remained loyal to them for my entire life? No.

However, let me know when you start a thread on, "Have I ever wondered why I have been married to my wife for 27 years?"

Haha, that's funny. Almost 20 years married here. Now that takes years off your life, lol

3 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Please don't start this with a "we don't need you" or "if you're thinking of leaving get out!!" kind of thread because that is not what this is about.

Born in '92, my first Jets memory was watching the Broncos beat the Jets in 98 AFC championship game. I saw it on tv and barely understood it, but I remember the Jets losing the lead and my dad being all upset. The first year I really started to understand football was Penny boys breakout year and I went to the Colts at Jets playoff game when we smoked them in 2003 and I became a diehard ever since.

I'll never forget when Doug Brien missed those two field goals against the Steelers with Penny and Herm or Mangini's first win on the road against the pats when he became "Mangenius." Or the first two years of Rex Ryan. Throughout all jokes people made about the jets, I always said, it will feel that much better when we finally do win a superbowl. 

Fast forward to this year and I'm going to be 25 soon. We all have seen:

• The butt fumble
  • Tebow debacle
  • Geno Smith's ridiculous behind the back fumble
  • Geno's game when he threw the ball to Percy Harvin 6 straight times against the Bills and got 3 of them intercepted.
  • Geno getting punched in the face by a teammate
  • John Idzik and Rex Ryan (Not Ryan's fault but their marriage was a complete joke)
  • This entire season.

I love the Jets, and as a kid I also dreamed they would one day win a superbowl. I also understand that it is a super competitive business and it is extremely hard to achieve and sustain success in this league, but what have the Jets done to show you they are a legitimate and competent organization? I really do not think it is directly Macc or Bowles problem because we have seen enough turnover to know that firing a HC and GM do not fix all your problems.

I have noticed every other year the Jets sort of switch from an up year to a down year as the team benefits from an easy schedule or struggles from a difficult one, and us fans with the NY media either think the team is terrible or about to go on a deep playoff run when the team is essentially the same as the year prior.

Do any of you guys question Woody's ability as an owner to hire effective management and allow them to implement the culture they want? Or do you think that each GM and HC we hired was a terrible choice and they had no business being in the NFL? (Tanny is doing well with Dolphins, Rex is doing average in Buffalo, Marty Mornhingweg is back to being an OC) Also, How do you feel about the jets ability to build a championship team or do you guys not really care and are just in it for the memories either way?

Sincerely,

A lost Jets fan

Every friggin day.   ? ? 

3 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

you do realize the Eagles championship drought is longer than ours, right? and they don't have a SB win. 

my father bought tickets to the titans and so the story was written-some of my first memories are being at jet games-a few weeks back at a game my father said maybe he should have bought tickets back then lol

I have stayed loyal not so much to the jets lately but because it has been a family tradition spanning decades but this year has been VERY tough and we are at our breaking point-I need woody to hire some proven people and give us hope

Watching the Jets do the impossible and win SB III in the same year the Mets defied insurmountable odds and won the WS at the age of 12 was truly spectacular for such a young kid. Add the Knicks title to that same year and you had the trifecta..  Hard to beat that experience yet I continue to wait since it was soooooo sweet.  You can take the kid out of NY but you cant take the Jets out the kid.

None of my kids are very into NFL and I don't push the issue at all. They love the NHL, love baseball, but they just don't care about football. For me, it's something I shared with my dad, and still do, but I'm kind of glad my kids aren't into the Jets or football, the owner is awful, and every year the NFL sucks a little more

Archived