Dennis Byrd dies in tragic car crash...

Mogglez

I was 13 when Rise and Walk came out. I still have the original copy that my dad (happily) bought me when I told him I wanted it. It's an incredibly thoughtful and well written piece of work, one of the more underrated sports books of all time, in my humble opinion. 

Like many others I am heart broken tonight. Huge inspiration and effect on my life. I hope his friends and family truly know how much he meant to the fans of this organization. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is crazy because JetNation has been here for almost 12 years. And I can never remember a time where there was only one thread that I felt like posting in.

The game? Doesn't seem important at all right now.

I do not deny its importance to those that believe but I am not a religious person.

Things happen randomly in this life and people like D Byrd overcome adversity by being mentally tough having a strong will to succeed.

A lesser willed person probably would not have walked again.

It sounds like the ignorance that comes with youth has caused this tragedy.

Lets hope his son and the kids in the other car come out of this ok. 

I hope the NYJ and the NFL plan a well deserved tribute for #90.

It would be a travesty if they dont.

17 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I hope the NYJ and the NFL plan a well deserved tribute for #90.

It would be a travesty if they dont.

3C26AE2D-A09E-4EDA-9423-3D74D1A02D7B_zps

I am going to guess that there is a Jets staffer somewhere in Arizona getting 53 of these created in time for Monday night. 

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

3C26AE2D-A09E-4EDA-9423-3D74D1A02D7B_zps

I am going to guess that there is a Jets staffer somewhere in Arizona getting 53 of these created in time for Monday night. 

SAR I

I sure hope so.

Should be a nice tribute at the next home game as well.

To this day I believe that the next week in Buffalo (who's fans were incredibly supportive of Dennis Byrd) that Jim Kelly intentional sent a gift to Byrds family, Jet fans everywhere by throwing that pick six interception.

The Bills were so good back then one game meant nothing to them. I still to this day believe that Jim Kelly is an incredible person too. He as a professional would never admit to throwing a pick, but his reaction to it was so indifferent that day for such a competitor. 

Dennis Byrd was one of my favorite Jets ever. Played like his hair was on fire every snap. This current team could learn something from him. Bowles should show them his inspirational movie.

By the way I have the book.

byrd-nyjets_1476585833667_2173575_ver1.0I have no words.  But read all of yours here in this thread. Thank you all for saying the things I couldn't come to write.  My prayers to Dennis' family and I hope his son pulls through.  Dennis was an extremely spiritual man and I trust his soul is at peace in a far better place.  This is a very sad moment and I can't help but to feel angry over the waste of a life.

Peace.

byrd.jpg

This is a travesty. Horrible. I feel so bad for his family. This guy was and will continue to live on as an inspiration.

As far as the 90 rememberence logo. I guarentee you that Jesus fish portion of it will be tweaked by the NFL, given this ultra sensitive society who would claim the Jets are trying to force Christianity down people's throats. 

Authorities said a 17-year-old Claremore male driving a 2000 Ford Explorer northbound on Oklahoma 88 veered into the oncoming lane, striking the 2004 Hummer H2 (pictured being towed away) that Byrd was driving

Authorities said a 17-year-old Claremore male driving a 2000 Ford Explorer northbound on Oklahoma 88 veered into the oncoming lane, striking the 2004 Hummer H2 (pictured being towed away) that Byrd was driving

Byrd's Hummer (pictured) was severely damaged as it was being towed away from the scene on Saturday 

Byrd's Hummer (pictured) was severely damaged as it was being towed away from the scene on Saturday 

Byrd was pronounced dead at the scene, and the 17-year-old driver in the Toyota (pictured) and a 12-year-old passenger in Byrd's vehicle were taken in critical condition to Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa

Byrd was pronounced dead at the scene, and the 17-year-old driver in the Toyota (pictured) and a 12-year-old passenger in Byrd's vehicle were taken in critical condition to Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3840319/Dennis-Byrd-killed-car-accident-aged-50.html#ixzz4NGA0PPRO 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You read some of the press and comments about how the injury was hard on him and he would disappear at times.  Life is just so unfair.

RIP.  

I know he lived in constant pain since the injury.  Really sad story.  Life isn't always fair.  

Archived