How the hell was Dee Milliner that bad?

Matt39

Somewhat random thread, but this guy was the consensus top corner in that draft and is now completely out of football- what the hell happened there? He was a good athlete, played at the top school in the nation and completely bombed out. Work ethic? 

Agree with everyone else. Injuries.  Guy just never seemed to be able to overcome them and stay on the field.  Hurt his ability to play, but more importantly it hurt his ability to improve his technique and refine himself as a, already talented, corner.  

54 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

He's made of glass, which is really sad because I think if he stayed healthy, he could have been a top corner

Disagree.  Even when he was on the field, I saw nothing but a lousy corner.

I do agree with him being made of glass though.  Well, maybe more like pencil lead.

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I do agree with him being made of glass though.  Well, maybe more like pencil lead.

He wasn't that bad when healthy - as a matter of fact he won player of the week and rookie of the month awards. 

Just had too many injuries in a short time period to overcome.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Somewhat random thread, but this guy was the consensus top corner in that draft and is now completely out of football- what the hell happened there? He was a good athlete, played at the top school in the nation and completely bombed out. Work ethic? 

The same can be said about Vernon Gholston beast in college here not so much..

The amount of injuries he had would knock any player out of the NFL.  Even before the draft he already had 4-5 major injuries/surgeries and that continued in his first 3 years,  Despite that the kid had a lot of talent but those injuries just took too much out of him

51 minutes ago, peebag said:

He wasn't that bad when healthy - as a matter of fact he won player of the week and rookie of the month awards. 

Just had too many injuries in a short time period to overcome.

Hmmm... disagree.  But I am not gonna fight with ya about Dee Milliner because I do remember you also being one of the few that was all-in on Mariota and knew he was going to be special.  ;)

"System and spread QB they said.  Needs time to develop.  Can't play from under center.  Doesn't go through progressions. Not fiery enough."   Blah, blah, blah....

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Hmmm... disagree.  But I am not gonna fight with ya about Dee Milliner because I do remember you also being one of the few that was all-in on Mariota and knew he was going to be special.  ;)

"System and spread QB they said.  Needs time to develop.  Can't play from under center.  Doesn't go throw progressions."   Blah, blah, blah....

Is there a pro-"draft mariota" club? If so I want in.

4 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Is there a pro-"draft mariota" club? If so I want in.

I don't recall you, Brick... but if you were... by all means!  I am going to be the founder of the club.

I was a pro "trade 3 or 4 first round picks plus whatever else to move up to #2 to get him."

18 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

He had skill. But it was an idiotic choice to pick him there in the draft.

Great post and why the scouting department should have been fired after that draft, Dee may have had a chance to develop into an NFL CB, if his body healed after bama, but he was drafted to replace Revis; who, at the time was the best CB to play the game, any other pick would have been fine but...

plan to fail and you will  

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I don't recall you, Brick... but if you were... by all means!  I am going to be the founder of the club.

I was a pro "trade 3 or 4 first round picks plus whatever else to move up to #2 to get him."

I was there! There's proof.....somewhere.

I've actually wanted to re-read some of the old threads on this topic in an effort to mock others and feel good about myself. Hah

But I don't know whether there are searches or how to do them if there are.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Two words:

John Idzik

I don't think he was too bright either, maybe I'm extrapolating from the shy country boy vibe tho.

he also wasn't locked in ever, seemed too  self-conscious out there. I remember him getting beat badly one of the last games he played for us, where he was in man on the motion man and kind of took his time following across the field and then the motion man double backed super quick - on the hike he jetted to the flat and Dee was out of the play because he had been coasting along on the motion. I saw it developing and I read it as he just wasn't a gamer.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

"System and spread QB they said.  Needs time to develop.  Can't play from under center.  Doesn't go through progressions. Not fiery enough."   Blah, blah, blah....

If youre telling people he wasnt good at Alabama you either didnt see him play or dont know anything about the position.  He was a top cb prospect who happened to have a history of injury.  They were his downfall, not his lack of talent

He had talent, and if he wasn't injured, I would think he would have made some team.  

Talent was not really an issue, he had elite speed and reaction, but it's the injuries that did him in.  He couldn't stay healthy, fragile as heck.  

The other issue was a system fit, because he didn't fit into with either Rex or Bowles system.  Both of them call for man coverage more often than not, and he didn't know how to backpedal when he went pro.  It's a problem with Alabama's defense, they have a turn and run system, because they have elite talent across the board.  Their defensive line can clog passing lanes, linebackers than can drop back, etc.  Milliner got killed by the back shoulder pass.  The times Miliner did better was when he started to play back a bit, but then got injured and wasn't really the same.  

He's a guy that, if no one picks him up, I'd pick him up and bring him for a tryout,  When healthy, I still think he has good potential.  

It's all moot, a blind man picking from a sheet of names could have drafted better.

Hell Idzik had more draft picks for the Jets, than I can remember, and basically blow them all. Even the Sheldon pick isn't that great, with all the off field issues. What's left Quincy Enunwa, Idzik and his Drafting set this Franchise back years, which we are paying for right now.

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

All I'm saying is that much of that is because he spent more of his short career rehabbing injuries than developing. I really think he could have developed after promising play in the second half of his rookie year. Instead he got a season ender injury

Archived